New Manager Thread

Yorkshire Saint

Who should replace Ronald Koeman?  

745 members have voted

1. 1. Who should replace Ronald Koeman?

As the average life span of a PL manager (taking out Wenger) is about 2½ hours, then is it really a bad thing? The longest serving ones are Bruce, Howe and Dyche and then Mark Hughes (3 years). Then there is Karanka and Poch. After that, all under 2 years.

Would be great if our new manager was announced this week.

I fear it may not be as simple as that with the Euros running. Their will be fall-out from that with all those clubs that under achieve sacking their managers and looking for new national coaches. Lots of top coaches will be looking for lucrative deals everywhere, so Saints may not be the most attractive proposition for them with our new reputation for not being able or being prepared to pay top dollar to keep the top managers that we have had already. Bear in mind too that coming to the premier league and succeeding is not that easy for foreign coaches who have never worked here before.

I fear it may not be as simple as that with the Euros running. Their will be fall-out from that with all those clubs that under achieve sacking their managers and looking for new national coaches. Lots of top coaches will be looking for lucrative deals everywhere, so Saints may not be the most attractive proposition for them with our new reputation for not being able or being prepared to pay top dollar to keep the top managers that we have had already.

Saints will be able to offer bigger wages than most national FA's...

CkiNHpIWsAAm9MB.jpg:large

Well I think most people would have. If we'd have got David Moyes in when he was still at Everton it'd have been lauded as a great coup. As it is his time at Man United has unfairly made him a bit of a laughing stock in many peoples eyes. Despite the snobbery about him on here he's still a good manager with a proven track record in the Premier league, worked well on a budget and brought through youth as well as signed good young british players. In many ways a good fit for us for the clubs stated aim of a stable, self sustaining top 10 club.

As for Jemez, the sole reason people want him seems to be the belief that he is the new Pochetino. If he was an English guy then the same snobbery applied to Moyes would apply to him. Personally I think it would be a huge risk, we're able to pay good money to a manager, we've got a good squad, European football and are an established top 10 club. I don't think it's a risk worth taking. Before anyone books marks this post to use against me in three years time, I'm not saying it wont work out, I simply think in our current position we could attract someone with a bit more calibre rather than gambling, which is what Jemez would be.

Get over it pal, we're not going anywhere near Moyes. Prepare yourself for another Carlos Soccermanagerball type.

Anyway, has this Jemez fella even been concretely linked so is he another name which has presented himself by people on here scouring the internet for trendy managers?

Well I think most people would have. If we'd have got David Moyes in when he was still at Everton it'd have been lauded as a great coup. As it is his time at Man United has unfairly made him a bit of a laughing stock in many peoples eyes. Despite the snobbery about him on here he's still a good manager with a proven track record in the Premier league, worked well on a budget and brought through youth as well as signed good young british players. In many ways a good fit for us for the clubs stated aim of a stable, self sustaining top 10 club.

As for Jemez, the sole reason people want him seems to be the belief that he is the new Pochetino. If he was an English guy then the same snobbery applied to Moyes would apply to him. Personally I think it would be a huge risk, we're able to pay good money to a manager, we've got a good squad, European football and are an established top 10 club. I don't think it's a risk worth taking. Before anyone books marks this post to use against me in three years time, I'm not saying it wont work out, I simply think in our current position we could attract someone with a bit more calibre rather than gambling, which is what Jemez would be.

Pep Guardiola said in his book Pep Confidential that there are only 3 teams capable of implementing his ball possession philosophy, these being Bayern Munich, Barcelona and Rayo Vallecano. Given that Rayo's budget is around 6-7 Million euros which is obviously a fraction of Bayern and Barcelona's that's massively high praise for Jemez. Curiously enough none of Wee David's charges made Pep's list.

Getting the right manager involves looking a bit deeper than whether they've had success in the premiership (or elsewhere) before. All sorts of factors come into play to determine how successful a manager is in any given situation (witness Moyes at Man U). People are drawing the parallel between Poch and Jemez because they have both managed to play attacking, possession-based football successfully in the Spanish League within ridiculously punitive financial restrictions before eventually succumbing to the detrimental effects of continually having their best players sold from under them with no money for replacements.

If clubs just went for proven Premiership managers then Man U would never have gone shopping at Aberdeen and Arsenal certainly wouldn't have looked at Grampus Eight's manager and the Premier League would have been deprived of arguably its two most successful managers. Personally I'd be really excited if the club went for Jemez.

Pep Guardiola said in his book Pep Confidential that there are only 3 teams capable of implementing his ball possession philosophy, these being Bayern Munich, Barcelona and Rayo Vallecano. Given that Rayo's budget is around 6-7 Million euros which is obviously a fraction of Bayern and Barcelona's that's massively high praise for Jemez. Curiously enough none of Wee David's charges made Pep's list.

Getting the right manager involves looking a bit deeper than whether they've had success in the premiership (or elsewhere) before. All sorts of factors come into play to determine how successful a manager is in any given situation (witness Moyes at Man U). People are drawing the parallel between Poch and Jemez because they have both managed to play attacking, possession-based football successfully in the Spanish League within ridiculously punitive financial restrictions before eventually succumbing to the detrimental effects of continually having their best players sold from under them with no money for replacements.

If clubs just went for proven Premiership managers then Man U would never have gone shopping at Aberdeen and Arsenal certainly wouldn't have looked at Grampus Eight's manager and the Premier League would have been deprived of arguably its two most successful managers. Personally I'd be really excited if the club went for Jemez.

Stuff like this would make appointing sturrock appear a good idea

P

That was then and this is now of course. Saints are a top six club in the PL and wish to stay that way so they will take no chances by gambling on an unproven up-and-coming relatively unknown manager. Those days read gone.

Ryan Bertrand just asked about Koeman at the England press conference.

'I have complete faith in the board at Saints to get the next appointment right'

Perfect response. Hope he genuinely believes it! Did he expand on that (i.e. saying how good Koeman had been for the players/club) or was that it? He doesn't sound too distraught about Koeman's departure, if it's the latter (although I accept it wasn't not the ideal forum for a more indepth response from him).

Ryan Bertrand just asked about Koeman at the England press conference.

'I have complete faith in the board at Saints to get the next appointment right'

With my cynical hat on, in the spotlight of a national live interview, he'd probably say something along those lines whether or not he was disgruntled by Koeman leaving and/or the board's handling of the situation.

Pellegrini or Moyes for me but if the board go for a manager that I know little about then I'll trust the board and get behind the new guy.

Losing Ron feels like you've broken up with an ugly bird... she had her good points, was miserable as f**k in December, recovered that but ultimately she's run her course and the relationship has gone as far as it could.

Pellegrini or Moyes for me but if the board go for a manager that I know little about then I'll trust the board and get behind the new guy.

Losing Ron feels like you've broken up with an ugly bird... she had her good points, was miserable as f**k in December, recovered that but ultimately she's run her course and the relationship has gone as far as it could.

Where is the 'Like' button?!

Over the next couple of weeks however we may find ourselves mentally trolling the 2am dancefloor, desparately hoping for any kind of interest, from anything half-decent. While the bloke who's now shacked up with the ex is making noise in his moment in the spotlight.

That was then and this is now of course. Saints are a top six club in the PL and wish to stay that way so they will take no chances by gambling on an unproven up-and-coming relatively unknown manager. Those days read gone.

We've finished in the top 6 once since returning to the Premier League, and most of our progress has been made in spite of the received wisdom that in England we play a special version of football inexplicable to outsiders. To be honest, none of the options mooted so far look unassailably great, but if it's a choice between sticking with the philosophy the club have pursued up until now, or reverting to the Premier League mean by hiring an 'established' dinosaur like Moyes, Bruce or any of the others that might be available, then I hope they continue to break with the norm.

With Erwin and Jan stlll yet to depart, it could a good indication of us about to unveil De Boeuf or another Dutch manager while retaining them both.

What has happened to FdB's old backroom staff? Did they resign along with him/be replaced/etc etc?

Exactly. I don't recall Pep Guardiola talking about Sturrock's Plymouth in his book :)

He did mention coach from his youth called Pepe Sturgé who would stuff his face with fried chorizo and calamari whilst he was supposed to be coaching the team.

Did go down well with Pep.

The last few months of the relationship, the sex was surprisingly good and very exciting. But now, after the break-up, I can't help but think she was thinking of someone else the whole time.

Hi guys, this is my first post, so please don't burn me... ☺️I've been lurking on the board for a while, and although I don't have any connection with Southampton or UK as such, I've been closely following English football since late 80's... Never had a club that I really supported until couple of years ago, when Southampton continuous rise from the ashes really made me appreciate them. Anyway, enough about me, what I was wondering is what do you guys think about possibility (although it might be highly unlikely) of Ryan Giggs taking over managerial role at Saints? After all, with Mourihno in charge, he's more than likely to leave Manchester United, and although he might not be proven in the role, I don't think that it would be too hard for him to adjust to it. Anyway, just curious what do you guys think about it...

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

No chance of Giggs. He needs to learn his trade lower down the pyramid.

Also, interesting he gets zero flak whatsoever for being a key member of the coaching team during LVG's tenure. If they had done well he would have been praised so interesting to note it doesn't work both ways.

No chance of it happening, and wouldn't want him here as manager anyway!

He needs to go off and learn his trade in a lower league first. Just because he's been at Man U for 30 years, and has been 'tipped' to be a manager, doesn't make him a good one overnight.

See Roy Keane for example......

Hi guys, this is my first post, so please don't burn me... ☺️I've been lurking on the board for a while, and although I don't have any connection with Southampton or UK as such, I've been closely following English football since late 80's... Never had a club that I really supported until couple of years ago, when Southampton continuous rise from the ashes really made me appreciate them. Anyway, enough about me, what I was wondering is what do you guys think about possibility (although it might be highly unlikely) of Ryan Giggs taking over managerial role at Saints? After all, with Mourihno in charge, he's more than likely to leave Manchester United, and although he might not be proven in the role, I don't think that it would be too hard for him to adjust to it. Anyway, just curious what do you guys think about it...

Hi Hobbit. Welcome. Giggs is probably a non starter because despite a great playing career he is inexperienced as a manager - and what experience he does have, as assistant to van Gaal at Man was pretty mixed at best. If Giggs wants to get started in management he'll have to start lower down the leagues imo - probably Lg1 or 2.

Ryan Giggs always comes across in interviews as mouth-breathingly stupid, which might have been acceptable in a manager fifty years ago but isn't any more. I'd be incredibly surprised if he ever amounts to anything as a manager now that the intellectual demands of management have risen beyond inspiring a bunch of twenty-somethings to address you as 'gaffer'.

Although I do agree with you guys that he's "unknown quality" (if there is a quality at all) at the managerial level, I sincerely doubt that he would start his career in League 1/2. After all, Frank De Boer's managerial career (up to now) is a good pointer that you don't necessarily need to go down the ranks to learn the ropes.. After all, couple of years as a youth coach in Ajax or assistant manager in Manchester United, working alongside some of the best coaches in the trade (regardless of the results on the day) is a priceless learning curve, that beats learning the trade in League 2.

Nice try Les. Now get back to that shortlist and sort us out a decent name! ;)

Although I do agree with you guys that he's "unknown quality" (if there is a quality at all) at the managerial level, I sincerely doubt that he would start his career in League 1/2. After all, Frank De Boer's managerial career (up to now) is a good pointer that you don't necessarily need to go down the ranks to learn the ropes.. After all, couple of years as a youth coach in Ajax or assistant manager in Manchester United, working alongside some of the best coaches in the trade (regardless of the results on the day) is a priceless learning curve, that beats learning the trade in League 2.

Are you a Man Utd fan?

Are you a Man Utd fan?

No, I'm not. I've already explained it in the first post. As a matter of fact, United is one of the clubs in EPL that I like the least. However, being roughly the same age as Giggs, I was following his career from his debut on European matches for United, and ever since then I've been closely following his career. Wouldn't even call myself a fan of Giggs as such, it's only that I'm trying to think of other options (apart from the couple of names that are mentioned in the press, and here).