New Manager Thread

Yorkshire Saint

Who should replace Ronald Koeman?  

745 members have voted

1. 1. Who should replace Ronald Koeman?

Sounds like we're looking at someone who is relatively young for a manager, has a wealth European experience, is from abroad, most likely a European league, endorses a pressing / poch like management style and brings through / enjoys working with youth players.

The fact that he is a mystery man means he's potentially our no. 1 target. Through a process of elimination its...

Mystery Man vs Vitor

Murat Yakin is that man.

I recall pre RK, that he was on the list that people wanted.

I believe we wanted him too but went to Spartak Moscow. Out of work and would be a good fit. Other names not been monitoned but would be a good fit for us are Eduardo Berizzo although his comments on homosexuals will upset some on here :lol: Shame we missed out on lucien Favre just taken the Nice job would have been good.

Surprised that so many don't rate Howe. Bit like signings where the continental mystique and hipster rating influences appeal - include myself being guilty of that.

Saying need European experience - what exactly does that mean? Like when saying players stepping up to international level when regularly playing against Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea and then make mighty step up to play against Austria and Switzerland.

Howe clearly would need to learn from say Koeman in to how to defeat the likes of Midtylland and that would take a few years.

I don't actually want Howe but wouldn't be as upset as some if was appointed.

Edited by whelk

Steve McClaren has been mentioned? :scared:

By who? I honestly couldn't think of a worse appointment, the man has no gravitas and not made for management, And that hair island has no place in the modem game

John Carver?

What an excellent choice. He said he was the best coach in the league and then said he didn't regret saying it because he was the best golfer and the best cricketer in the world as well. We can't go wrong but with his ambition like that, expect Everton to lure him from us

AVB taking a 6 month break:

http://m.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/14547728.AVB_rules_out_Saints_move/?ref=rss

Have to say there seems to be quite a few indicating they aren't interested.

Very important appointment, hopefully the Koeman thing hasn't been too much of a suprise.

Of the names KBilly mentioned one is going to PSG and Howe has seemingly made it clear he isn't interested.

Echo again says Pereira has been linked without mentioning that it has only been by them! Wonder who fed them that?

Edited by Saint Charlie

Very important appointment, hopefully the Koeman thing hasn't been too much of a suprise.

Of the names KBilly mentioned one is going to PSG and Howe has seemingly made it clear he isn't interested.

Echo again says Pereirs has been linked without mentioning that it has only been by them! Wonder who fed them that?

Echo almost seem to be working to same list as K Billy (except Moyes), think Adam Leitch has similar sources! Vitor definitely getting a good airing

totally agree, hadn't heard of him before 2 days ago lol, Now I am excited by his cv

He seems quite 'Saints' but a gamble really as never worked in a top league and has succeeded at the bigger teams in the leagues he has managed in where he has mostly had far better players than the opponents (for a short timeperiod never staying anywhere for more than 2 years).

Lots of people were delighted to get £5m for Koeman and starting saying how a few players didn't like him etc but £5m is peanuts if we make the wrong appointment so its a big, big decision for the Club and I hope they can choose from their main choices rather than having to go lower down the list.

Pochettino and Koeman both genuinely seemed to be first picks so I hope that continues.

Wonder if the mystery man is the Rayo Vallecano manager Paco Jemez. Fits the profile of a young manager who plays pressing football but more attacking than Pochettino and has done well considering the clubs small budget. Saw someone on Twitter mention that he had an offer from an English club and seeing as we are the only manager less PL club it could be us.

He seems quite 'Saints' but a gamble really as never worked in a top league and has succeeded at the bigger teams in the leagues he has managed in where he has mostly had far better players than the opponents (for a short timeperiod never staying anywhere for more than 2 years).

Lots of people were delighted to get £5m for Koeman and starting saying how a few players didn't like him etc but £5m is peanuts if we make the wrong appointment so its a big, big decision for the Club and I hope they can choose from their main choices rather than having to go lower down the list.

Pochettino and Koeman both genuinely seemed to be first picks so I hope that continues.

Misread post.

Echo again says Pereira has been linked without mentioning that it has only been by them! Wonder who fed them that?

Thing is if your agent is telling you that he hasn't been approached by the club, then some journalist asks if you're interested you can give one of 2 answers either 'I'm interested but the club haven't approached me' or 'No I'm not interested in that job'. With the size of most peoples egos in football I can't see option 1 being very likely.

Thing is if your agent is telling you that he hasn't been approached by the club, then some journalist asks if you're interested you can give one of 2 answers either 'I'm interested but the club haven't approached me' or 'No I'm not interested in that job'. With the size of most peoples egos in football I can't see option 1 being very likely.

Spot on.

"So Mr Prospective Manager, why were you turned down or over looked by Southampton?"

Either "They decided that X was a better option than me" or "I didn't put my hat in the ring as it wasn't of interest to me".

But as per usual St Chuck is overly negative about it. Quelle surprise!!! Me, I see Saints for what it is, and it is a very attractive job for someone to have.

Basically Eddie Howe does not fit the job spec. as far as I'm concerned. No European experience, no experience at the higher end of the top flights of European domestic football, no track record across multiple clubs[/b].

This is out best ever chance to appoint a genuine blue-chip manager. Don't throw it away Saints, don't throw it away.

and Adkins and Pochettino did?

Of our last 3 managers only Koeman fits in with your comment.

From history of appointments under the Liebherr reign those are not requirements we look for and from look at previous appointments I'd say Howe fits our criteria perfectly (not that he'd be my first choice).

Spot on.

"So Mr Prospective Manager, why were you turned down or over looked by Southampton?"

Either "They decided that X was a better option than me" or "I didn't put my hat in the ring as it wasn't of interest to me".

But as per usual St Chuck is overly negative about it. Quelle surprise!!! Me, I see Saints for what it is, and it is a very attractive job for someone to have.

Not sure what you found to be especially negative. I mentioned that a few candidates have seemingly ruled themselves out which is true, emphasis on 'seemingly'.

Plus that it is an important appointment which is also true.

And that if we get it wrong the £5m we got for Koeman will be irrelevant - which is true.

That Pereira seems a good fit but is still a gamble as has only managed in second tier European leagues at sides that win them very regularly - which is true.

Play the post not the poster. I'm excited about who we get and relaxed about Koeman going. But if for example we want Howe as no1 choice and he isn't interested then for the Club that would be a blow as there would obviously be a preference to get your preferred candidate. That is all.

"De Boer’s agent confirmed to the Daily Echo there is no interest from Saints, while sources in Bournemouth have said that Eddie Howe has indicated he would not leave the Cherries for a move to St Mary’s at this stage."

Quote from the Echo above about Howe ,but then a fortnight ago the echo would have been saying much the same about Koeman and Everton.

"De Boer’s agent confirmed to the Daily Echo there is no interest from Saints, while sources in Bournemouth have said that Eddie Howe has indicated he would not leave the Cherries for a move to St Mary’s at this stage."

Quote from the Echo above about Howe ,but then a fortnight ago the echo would have been saying much the same about Koeman and Everton.

At this stage...........

I believe we wanted him too but went to Spartak Moscow. Out of work and would be a good fit. Other names not been monitoned but would be a good fit for us are Eduardo Berizzo although his comments on homosexuals will upset some on here :lol: Shame we missed out on lucien Favre just taken the Nice job would have been good.

I did suggest Berizzo, along with di Francesco and Sousa. Admittedly it was more "no-one has mentioned these guys yet" rather than "I think we should get them".

Oh god, I've just thought of someone who hasn't been mentioned... Tim Sherwood! :mcinnes:

I'm sorry but why the clamour for Vitor Pereira? Doesn't seem to have a brilliant managerial background. What makes him perfect for Saints? Apologies if already stated pages ago.

Don't think there is a clamour just his name has been linked in several places and seems to fit with how club want to play.

De Boer has been quoted saying he only wants to go to a club where he can stay for a good few years. I know thats doesnt mean much in football, but he might just come to us and stay for a while.

Which isn't the worst idea in the world.

De Boer has been quoted saying he only wants to go to a club where he can stay for a good few years. I know thats doesnt mean much in football, but he might just come to us and stay for a while.

Well crikes-all-mighty, let's sign him up....the stability so many have craved.

Wonder if the mystery man is the Rayo Vallecano manager Paco Jemez. Fits the profile of a young manager who plays pressing football but more attacking than Pochettino and has done well considering the clubs small budget. Saw someone on Twitter mention that he had an offer from an English club and seeing as we are the only manager less PL club it could be us.

Interesting shout...they have had a good season

I'm sorry but why the clamour for Vitor Pereira? Doesn't seem to have a brilliant managerial background. What makes him perfect for Saints? Apologies if already stated pages ago.

Agree, I don't find him very inspiring at all... if we are to have a lesser experienced or lesser named manager, then Gary Rowett would be a far better bet in my view.

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2015/08/27/tactical-philosophy-paco-jemez/