Saints announce Virgin Media as new main club sponsor

Saint-Armstrong

Nope, not to my knowledge. Maybe thinking of Now TV, where you have the option of buying a Sky Soprts 24 hour pass for £7.99. Came in very handy last season for Saints games on Sky. Internet only tho so a decent connection helps.

Do they?

No unless have XL package. £17/month or similar if you want BT as an add on station. Ridiculous but hey they need to recoup their £12m perPL game outlay. Let's celebrate the richness of our wonderful league and those huge transfers and agent slices.

No unless have XL package. £17/month or similar if you want BT as an add on station. Ridiculous but hey they need to recoup their £12m perPL game outlay. Let's celebrate the richness of our wonderful league and those huge transfers and agent slices.

It's all so expensive and ridiculous. I've downgraded my Virgin Media package from XL, to L, to M - I don't care about the extra channels of rubbish and if I want to watch sports, I'll either go and watch in person or find another way.

If you *really* want to watch a match and pay, Now TV is great, you can subscribe to Sky Sports for £6.99 for 24 hours - perfect for a couple of times a year.

• 2 weeks later...
Cracking deal! I'm a ST holder with no aways on my account, so really not sure on my chance of tickets....

One away last season and I got my ticket on Friday (thinking about Europe as well...). You may be able to get one on Monday, check the OS, although there were only a few available in my block 230 (ISTR?).

The top 7 clubs with sponsors in car, tyres, airlines, banking, insurance & telecoms industries.

The bottom 13 clubs in gambling, beer, duty free and pawnbrokers.

Pretty much an artificial distinction: the value of our sponsorship deal is closer to the bottom club than it is to 6th.

In fairness to bookies, I put them way above money lenders. NUFC's sponsor used to charge an APR of something like 5500% but are now down to a much more reasonable 1261% APR. I find it interesting that some do not see the sponsor as being important. I would be aghast at a money lender and unhappy with a bookie. It says a fair bit about the club and who they are happy to be associated with. I know betting goes hand in hand with sport, but even so, it's an industry whose product isn't a necessity and offers nothing of benefit, but quite the opposite.

As for NUFC, I fee sorry for their fans, but at least they got motivated to provide an alternative: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/newcastle-united-fans-sell-alternative-6155554

Deregulation of gambling has been a disgrace. All spun as lads and glamour but all these companies are offshore paying fck all tax and exploiting people's addictions. We used to regulate against it but now a free for all

'Gamble responsibly' is such bs. Like asking an alcoholic 'are you sure you would like another drink sir?'

I like to gamble but unchecked it ruins many lives.

Deregulation of gambling has been a disgrace. All spun as lads and glamour but all these companies are offshore paying fck all tax and exploiting people's addictions. We used to regulate against it but now a free for all

'Gamble responsibly' is such bs. Like asking an alcoholic 'are you sure you would like another drink sir?'

I like to gamble but unchecked it ruins many lives.

Notable that all but one of the 10 betting companies sponsoring PL teams are based outside the UK, do not not pay tax here or abide by UK voluntary codes of conduct.

Is it true that Virgin Media are subsidising away tickets at St Marys for the whole season, so they just cost £20? Not a great deal for Saints fans that!

I haven't heard that. Why make it better for away fans, if they subsidised all the away games for Saints fans then it would be great but it seems they are only doing two games.

Nice touch with buying us all a drink this weekend though, hopefully beer is included.

I haven't heard that. Why make it better for away fans, if they subsidised all the away games for Saints fans then it would be great but it seems they are only doing two games.

Nice touch with buying us all a drink this weekend though, hopefully beer is included.

Great marketing for them, just a pity Saints fans sat a few seats away will be paying nearly double some games http://fcbusiness.co.uk/news/article/newsitem=4507/title=virgin+media+joins+forces+with+football+supporters%92+federation+to+cut+costs+for+away+fans

Great marketing for them, just a pity Saints fans sat a few seats away will be paying nearly double some games http://fcbusiness.co.uk/news/article/newsitem=4507/title=virgin+media+joins+forces+with+football+supporters%92+federation+to+cut+costs+for+away+fans

Wow, if other clubs all followed suit then it would be brilliant but as it is it looks like the away fans get to see the same as the home fans for less. Like you say, great marketing for them but not so great for us.

Kind of annoying that away fans visiting SMS are getting a better deal than our loyal season ticket holders and away fans but on the bright side hopefully block 43 will rarely be open to us so the overall atmosphere should be improved.

Kind of annoying that away fans visiting SMS are getting a better deal than our loyal season ticket holders and away fans but on the bright side hopefully block 43 will rarely be open to us so the overall atmosphere should be improved.
Well it guarantees a better away atmosphere at St Marys, that's about it.

Well it guarantees a better away atmosphere at St Marys, that's about it.

It also eliminates of the dead zone of latecomers between block 42 and the away fans which seems to kill the banter between both sets of fans

Pretty sure the home team gets to keep the entire gate receipts for league games. So if they reduced saints away to £20 but Virgin made up the shortfall, we'd just be giving money to our rivals anyway. This way, we don't actually lose any money, but probably gain some as more people will be able to come and Virgin pay Saints the shortfall.

Pretty smart if you ask me financially, but yes, doesn't help the average Saints fan. Will help with the overall "brand" of the club though and perhaps, just perhaps, add a bit of pressure for others to reduce the price of an away ticket.

Pretty sure the home team gets to keep the entire gate receipts for league games. So if they reduced saints away to £20 but Virgin made up the shortfall, we'd just be giving money to our rivals anyway. This way, we don't actually lose any money, but probably gain some as more people will be able to come and Virgin pay Saints the shortfall.

Pretty smart if you ask me financially, but yes, doesn't help the average Saints fan. Will help with the overall "brand" of the club though and perhaps, just perhaps, add a bit of pressure for others to reduce the price of an away ticket.

Maybe, but I would much rather have 2000 of their fans paying £30 (so £60k and they have less fans), instead of what will happen which is 3000 of them at £20 (which is again £60k but means more fans for the away side)

We would've made the same I reckon anyway if Virgin hadn't subsidised for the AWAY fans. It would have been better to say have £10 off our games, say twice a season.

I remember us doing something similar a few years back, Barclays give every club £200k to improve each teams away atmosphere, but what do we do? Improve thw away end in our own ground :lol::lol:

Maybe, but I would much rather have 2000 of their fans paying £30 (so £60k and they have less fans), instead of what will happen which is 3000 of them at £20 (which is again £60k but means more fans for the away side)

We would've made the same I reckon anyway if Virgin hadn't subsidised for the AWAY fans. It would have been better to say have £10 off our games, say twice a season.

I remember us doing something similar a few years back, Barclays give every club £200k to improve each teams away atmosphere, but what do we do? Improve thw away end in our own ground :lol::lol:

Not disagreeing that it would have been better, just I can see the business thinking behind it. Hopefully, other clubs follow suit. It would be potentially 3,000 of them at £30 though, as Virgin are subsiding the extra tenner per ticket. Peanuts, I agree, but it could also pay for a £15K per week player each season and hopefully the ground is full.