Nathan Redmond Joins on 5 Year Deal - Official

Saint Garrett

Having read up on Redmond, seems common knowledge he has a release clause of 8mill. At that price seems a great option.

Doesn't Townsend also have an £8m release clause though?

If I am honest, choosing between the two I'd rather have Townsend, if he would come here.

Doesn't Townsend also have an £8m release clause though?

If I am honest, choosing between the two I'd rather have Townsend, if he would come here.

Yeah, but after going from Spurs to Newcastle I'd bet he's on a damn sight more than Redmond, who went from Birmingham to Norwich.

Redmond suits us pretty well, he's younger and hopefully has a higher ceiling to reach with us.

Every single club is a selling club. We finished 6th in one of the most sought after leagues in the world, have a decent squad, excellent facilities, a strong record of recruitment, top class academy ... the only reason Wanayama going would put off a decent candidate is if they are not given funds to replace him.

I agree, and the point is that the incoming manager has to be involved in the selling of players, not having to watch the best players being sold whilst negotiating his own contract, as happened with Koeman, which must have been pretty frustrating for him at the time. With money from a Wanyama sale the incoming appointee would be able to pinpoint the replacement he wants, and one at least as good.

Redmond would be a sensible acquisition and the club has to take advantage of the market when opportunities arise and we can't wait for what could be a lengthy process before appointing our next manager, but I repeat, the club must not sell our best players before the incoming manager, whoever he is, can have his say.

Equally, if a very good replacement for Wanyama comes on the market before manager contract is completed, then the club should go for him, and hopefully with the knowledge of favoured managerial candidate.

I agree, and the point is that the incoming manager has to be involved in the selling of players, not having to watch the best players being sold whilst negotiating his own contract, as happened with Koeman, which must have been pretty frustrating for him at the time. With money from a Wanyama sale the incoming appointee would be able to pinpoint the replacement he wants, and one at least as good.

Redmond would be a sensible acquisition and the club has to take advantage of the market when opportunities arise and we can't wait for what could be a lengthy process before appointing our next manager, but I repeat, the club must not sell our best players before the incoming manager, whoever he is, can have his say.

Equally, if a very good replacement for Wanyama comes on the market before manager contract is completed, then the club should go for him, and hopefully with the knowledge of favoured managerial candidate.

Looks like it could be happening for Ron again with 2 or 3 of Everton's better players possibly out of the door soon!! :)

I'm willing to bet Koeman didn't have much of a clue who the hell Lambert, Lovern and Lallana were let alone being frustrated they were leaving.

I've red this a few times but it still seems to say we shouldn't sell anyone (inc Vic) but if someone comes on the market as a Vic replacement we should buy them? Don't we then risk have Vic and the new boy here? Not really Saints style is it.

I've red this a few times but it still seems to say we shouldn't sell anyone (inc Vic) but if someone comes on the market as a Vic replacement we should buy them? Don't we then risk have Vic and the new boy here? Not really Saints style is it.

You should both watch the video at the top of this thread: http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?56644-Les-Reed-Video-Interview-(From-2-Years-Ago)#.V2GU_rsrLIU

Les Reed from a couple of years ago (in between Poch leaving & Koeman arriving) - It covers info on in's & out's in regards to a new coach, as well as player recruitment over a summer.

Looking at a tweet a day or so ago' date=' seems like he's on holiday with Butland[/quote']

For some reason I first read it as "he's on holiday with Butlins."

Not sure the Butland connection would be enough to get him to Stoke but who knows. Butland could be off himself at some point. Plus he would have the U21 connections with us.

You should both watch the video at the top of this thread: http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?56644-Les-Reed-Video-Interview-(From-2-Years-Ago)#.V2GU_rsrLIU

Les Reed from a couple of years ago (in between Poch leaving & Koeman arriving) - It covers info on in's & out's in regards to a new coach, as well as player recruitment over a summer.

That's so interesting to hear it again, SS, and well worth it's own thread. Cheers.

Stoke fans saying he wants to go there. Not to far from his family in Birmingham & apparently good mate with Jack Butland.

Obviously don't know if they are in the know just sharing as an FYI.

A bit like when our fans where saying there was no way Cork was leaving because he's mates with Bertrand.

This looks like a done deal at a good price. It's a reminder that squad strengthening doesn't stop because the first team manager leaves. When the last manager was asked about players coming or going, he confirmed that recruitment and retention wasn't part of his job. It's simply easier for the media to personalise everything by implying that managers buy and sell players, regardless of the truth at individual clubs. Obviously, when a manager is in place he would be consulted and would be able to put forward his own candidates for consideration but since recruitment is part of Les Reed's job it's good to see he's getting on with it and not allowing the manager vacancy to cause a delay.

I approve of this signing if it comes off, but it almost feels as though Reed and co are trying to force it through before the managerial appointment just so the new manager can't veto it. I'd say there's little depreciation in signing Redmond, and possibly if he has a half good season, his value will only soar, and perhaps that's what Reed and co see in him.

So we are signing Les Reeds long wanted player without even consulting with whoever our new manager is? Seriously?

Is this the reason we lost Koeman and Potty Chinos?

Reeds luck will run out this summer IMHO.

Wanyama gone, Koemans gone...

The mystery of our boardrooms inability to maintain a team top to bottom may be starting to become clearer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So we are signing Les Reeds long wanted player without even consulting with whoever our new manager is? Seriously?

The mystery of our boardrooms inability to maintain a team top to bottom may be starting to become clearer?

yep the last few seasons have been one big slice of luck....

I think you need some new bed-sheets.

I think there are good reasons for signing Redmond now, because we must be stronger with him in the squad (I think he is skilful, is young and English, has potential and it is a good business deal) and we haven't risked losing out to other clubs, such as Stoke.

Re Wanyama, we're obviously weaker as a result of selling him, but if there was a 'gentleman's agreement to sell at the end of this season and he is on his last year, I don't think a new manager could have prevented it. But the sale was unnecessarily hasty and about a million cheaper than perhaps it could have been. Spurs should have been kept waiting. It sets a bad example to others and their agents. That was bad timing and a weak decision by Read imo.

We certainly shouldn't sell other player's, such as Mane, before a new manager is appointed. We shouldn't sell before an equally good and useful replacement (approved by the new manager) is signed up. Read's policy of sell first, buy later is very risky. We have only been lucky in the past because Koeman knew who he wanted and had the reputation to convince his targets to sign.

Does it matter that we are known as a selling club? Imo yes. We will become a regular laughing stock every summer if we routinely keep selling our best players. We must dig our heels in because we don't need to sell. Show a bit of firmness, Les.

I think there are good reasons for signing Redmond now, because we must be stronger with him in the squad (I think he is skilful, is young and English, has potential and it is a good business deal) and we haven't risked losing out to other clubs, such as Stoke.

Re Wanyama, we're obviously weaker as a result of selling him, but if there was a 'gentleman's agreement to sell at the end of this season and he is on his last year, I don't think a new manager could have prevented it. But the sale was unnecessarily hasty and about a million cheaper than perhaps it could have been. Spurs should have been kept waiting. It sets a bad example to others and their agents. That was bad timing and a weak decision by Read imo.

We certainly shouldn't sell other player's, such as Mane, before a new manager is appointed. We shouldn't sell before an equally good and useful replacement (approved by the new manager) is signed up. Read's policy of sell first, buy later is very risky. We have only been lucky in the past because Koeman knew who he wanted and had the reputation to convince his targets to sign.

Does it matter that we are known as a selling club? Imo yes. We will become a regular laughing stock every summer if we routinely keep selling our best players. We must dig our heels in because we don't need to sell. Show a bit of firmness, Les.

If getting this deal done early means we can get on with our own business quicker would it be seen as an 'okay' deal? I would be reluctant to judge this decision until we see what happens next.

:lol:

You are a nutter

If getting this deal done early means we can get on with our own business quicker would it be seen as an 'okay' deal? I would be reluctant to judge this decision until we see what happens next.

That is basically what I have said.

You've been proved wrong many times so IMHO everything you say is wrong until one time you'll finally get 'Lucky' once one of your negative baseless predictions finally comes true.

You are, and always have been, an utterly clueless co_ck.

I'm greatly encouraged to read this, as usually after you repeat this mantra annually, we go on to have a cracking season.

To get what you desire we would have to employ a rubbish manager who no one else wants and sign rubbish players who no one else wants. Would you be happy then?

Yep, not Sterling's or City's best season - perhaps because Pellegrini knew he was off?

Fair point, it can't have much of a motivation for Sterling or Pellegrini. Hopefully Redmond will be given the right support to realise his full potential and maybe will replace Sterling in the international set up in a couple of years time!

Yep, not Sterling's or City's best season - perhaps because Pellegrini knew he was off?

Or maybe Sterling really is just a one trick pony, who really is a schit player. His % of loosing the ball or not completing a successful pass must be pretty high for a supposed Intl Player.

How many times do we have to say not Townsend at any price even if they paid us to take him No No and Thrice No

Yeah, cos he looked so poor at Newcastle during the back of last season didn't he? Even in amongst a poor squad. Jesus, why are people keeping up this assumption that Townsend wouldn't be good enough for us? It's totally bizarre, the guy was in the England squad, and in many people's view should have gone to the Euro's.....so he really isn't that bad is he?

Townsend is a good option for a team set up to counterattack. He's not great at braking down tight defenses, finding space in between the lines or playing quick passes.

That's probably why Spuds let him go, he's a good player, but doesn't fit their style.

I think he'd be decent if we decide to set up to defend deep and exploit space on the opposition flanks (funnily enough, how Newcastle played when they got the best out of him) but don't think he'd be great in a team working to press high and shift the ball quickly with lots of one or two touch passing, as that plays to his weaknesses (vision, close control) rather than his strengths (pace, directness).