Nathan Redmond Joins on 5 Year Deal - Official

Saint Garrett

Good signing. Very pleased with this. It's not his fault Neil wasn't selecting him last season, and when he did towards the end of the season, he was pretty much their stand out player trying to keep them up virtually single-handedly. He has room to improve but the talent is there, and at 22 his value can only go up. He's a good addition to a campaign that includes a Europa group run. What remains to be seen is whether he fits into the new manager's plans. With a five year contract, I guess he'll have to!

“While Nathan has already gained Premier League experience, he has the potential to continue developing and becoming an integral part of the squad for years to come.”

Read more at http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/20160625-announcement-southampton-norwich-city-nathan-redmond-3156671.aspx#5m8eFzfh8hj3fgBf.99

What he really means:-

While Nathan has already gained Premier League experience, he has the potential to continue developing and be sold for a tidy little profit in a couple of seasons.

Excellent stuff. Young, potential, English, with lots of room to improve. (Scored a beauty for the U21's recently too)

Very happy to get him on board as he's clearly been a target for years. Gives us a another tool in the tool box as he's an out-and-out winger.

Actually Leicester offered him more money to stay even though he had just signed a new improved contract do yes , Leicester did make an effort to keep him .

Has Saints ever really made an effort to keep a top player ?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

“While Nathan has already gained Premier League experience, he has the potential to continue developing and becoming an integral part of the squad for years to come.”

Read more at http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/20160625-announcement-southampton-norwich-city-nathan-redmond-3156671.aspx#5m8eFzfh8hj3fgBf.99

While Nathan has already gained Premier League experience, he has the potential to continue developing and be sold for a tidy little profit in a couple of seasons.

:poundit:

Karsdorp will be a winger? Janssen is a cut inside winger like Mane? Van Overeem will be a star? Sam Larsson is extremely inconsistent.

Makes me wonder how often you've seen these players because this doesn't make sense for one bit.

:lol: he's probably just seen their stats on football manager

I didn't really rate him that highly at Norwich bit then Bertrand was pretty average at Villa. A good option to have in the squad, if he's replacing Gaston/Juanmi as an attacking option I'm happy. If he is intended to replace Mané, not so much.

I didn't really rate him that highly at Norwich bit then Bertrand was pretty average at Villa. A good option to have in the squad, if he's replacing Gaston/Juanmi as an attacking option I'm happy. If he is intended to replace Mané, not so much.

Excuse the football manager terms, but I think we'll lose Mane and will sign an AML / AMC / AMR.

(We've signed the AMR already)

They certainly have, we are complete crap at throw ins these days.

We must have been the only club Delap played for who got nothing out of his crazy long throws never remember it coming off for us!

Back on topic reasonably pleased with Redmond seems to have bags of potential and a decent attitude and a 5 year contract means he should be here a while yet!

Redmond is the kind of player I can see developing well with Saints and is a good fit. Wouldn't however say he is starting 11 material at this moment, especially with Mane still here. If he is a Mane replacement, if we are judging Redmond's product at the moment, then it is a disappointment.

The poor kid is on a hiding to nothing if people are going to constantly compare him to Mane.

Remember when 4 million was big money for us, and we spent it on Rory Delap? How times have changed!

I normally look forward to your posts. ;-) Disappointed it's not ITK related...

I remember the Derby fans' opinion as published in the press at the time; they were amazed somebody had paid (so much) money for him.

Excuse the football manager terms, but I think we'll lose Mane and will sign an AML / AMC / AMR.

(We've signed the AMR already)

Is this like I'll swap U my AS for UR KD and DS?

Redmond is a decent signing, sort of the next Jason Puncheon, plenty of talent, he just needs to be in the right place at the right time and I reckon he will flourish here. He might have to wait for his chances but I can see him being a starter for us once he has found his feet.

I'm very skeptical about this signing as there was a reason Norwich were relegated in the first place and he was a part of that failure from what I remember some of his performances in the run it were very lacking

Also like the majority of signings made over the past few years, even though he has signed a 5 year deal am I the only one who thinks he will use us as a stepping stone for a move to a bigger club later I quote one of his statements made after signing yesterday "When Southampton said they were interested, it felt like the right move for me. I can develop my game here."

As he is part of the England U21 setup there is a strong possibility given his age he will break into the 1st team squad in the coming years when that happens we generally sell the player (eg Clyne, Lallana)

He will need to convince me that he really is up to the task as he will surely be the replacement for Mane when he inevitably leaves in the near future, so he has a huge job on his hands to emulate Mane's drive and determination.

It will be interesting to see what Manager we get in (looks like it will be Claude Puel) and what other signings he will attract to plug the gaps made by players our best players being sold, if it is Indeed Puel i'm not sure this will attract the same quality player we would of signed if Koeman had still been here.

I'm very skeptical about this signing as there was a reason Norwich were relegated in the first place and he was a part of that failure from what I remember some of his performances in the run it were very lacking

Also like the majority of signings made over the past few years, even though he has signed a 5 year deal am I the only one who thinks he will use us as a stepping stone for a move to a bigger club later I quote one of his statements made after signing yesterday "When Southampton said they were interested, it felt like the right move for me. I can develop my game here."

As he is part of the England U21 setup there is a strong possibility given his age he will break into the 1st team squad in the coming years when that happens we generally sell the player (eg Clyne, Lallana)

He will need to convince me that he really is up to the task as he will surely be the replacement for Mane when he inevitably leaves in the near future, so he has a huge job on his hands to emulate Mane's drive and determination.

It will be interesting to see what Manager we get in (looks like it will be Claude Puel) and what other signings he will attract to plug the gaps made by players our best players being sold, if it is Indeed Puel i'm not sure this will attract the same quality player we would of signed if Koeman had still been here.

Don't quite get this logic. Morgan and Adam were relegated to L1 with us, so they must be utter ****e.

Some people....

Yeap! Redmond was one of the key reasons Norwich were crap then I guess. So what if we are used as stepping stone, it works both ways if he does turn out of be a bag of ******** after 2 years we'd want to get rid of him.

Funny how there's a correlation between players getting into the nation team and then being sold, oh I wonder... perhaps it's because they got better? Thus bigger clubs wanting better players?

redmond a replacement for mane.... okay

Who knows, he might know of a couple of Kante or Mahrezs floating about in France.

Back from a short holiday, (where the internet didn't take up every spare minute of my life).....:smug:

Nathan Redmond?....not have been my first choice (based on the few games I've seen him in), but he is also still quite young and has progressed well of late.

If he improves at the rate others have done, and becomes a " Mane Mk.2 ".......then he would be a very good buy, and I couldn't be happier if proven wrong.

I guess you voted Leave?

Isn't there a contradiction: norwich relegated so he must be crap; in England U21 so he will be sold on to a big club in a couple of years. Just saying

Now we know exactly why no decent manager or player will stay at Southampton. Buying a at best journeyman, one trick pony of a player solely at the whim of that idiot tosser Reed without consulting a prospective new manager smacks of arrogance bordering on megalomania and lunacy. What an effing mess we are in.

Now we know exactly why no decent manager or player will stay at Southampton. Buying a at best journeyman, one trick pony of a player solely at the whim of that idiot tosser Reed without consulting a prospective new manager smacks of arrogance bordering on megalomania and lunacy. What an effing mess we are in.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Wow, I wasn't sure which moronic poster took the crown of being the biggest tool on the board, but this is hard to beat. So chapeau mon vieux, chapeau.

Unfortunate truth

Most Norwich fans seem to think he's inconsistent, has his head up his ar$e, hasn't improved and while their best player isn't one they'd miss.

Standard reaction of fans to a player leaving....we do exactly the same...Wanyama not that good and always suspended, Mane inconsistent etc etc. Wouldn't read too much in to it.