Fonte Transfer Rumours

Master Bates

I really like Fonte and greatly admire what he's done on the pitch and in the dressing room.

But at some point the Club has to draw a line in the sand for its own long term well being. We've effectively failed numerous of these vital tests over the past three years and we just can't afford to fail yet another. We have to break the cycle.

Not only would we lose a player with 2-3 good years left in him, and a working dovetail with (possibly) the best central defender in the PL.

We would also, I suspect, see a significant downturn in Cedric's effectiveness. I'm sure there's a ton of in-game communication between Fonte and Cedric (who is coverage and concentration error-prone) - and I'm certain that this communication isn't in English.

And this with the season already underway and precious few potential replacements available.

It's much easier to draw that line in the sand with a player valued at 8 million and with 2-3 years of contract left. As for the "gentlemen's agreement", it would only carry weight with me if both gentlemen and their representatives acted like gentlemen. If the player's agent starts touting the player around behind the scenes, everything changes.

What is José going to do if we stand firm?

There are many complex issues though. IMO the clubs policy is to buy and sell on. We are basically a shop window for players to look good at SMS in the PL so they can step up to bigger clubs where they can get CL football and trophies. The agents like us, the big clubs do also as we have road tested the player to a degree, and all sides get large financial reward.

The advantage to the fans IMO, is limited to watching players progress and develop in our colours before leaving for what they believe greater things. Many are happy to accept it whilst they see 6/7/8th positons in the league.

On this occasion I think the club should accept a decent fee, as he is an ageing product that will need replacing probably at the end of this season or the middle of next.

I really like Fonte and greatly admire what he's done on the pitch and in the dressing room.

But at some point the Club has to draw a line in the sand for its own long term well being. We've effectively failed numerous of these vital tests over the past three years and we just can't afford to fail yet another. We have to break the cycle.

Not only would we lose a player with 2-3 good years left in him, and a working dovetail with (possibly) the best central defender in the PL.

We would also, I suspect, see a significant downturn in Cedric's effectiveness. I'm sure there's a ton of in-game communication between Fonte and Cedric (who is coverage and concentration error-prone) - and I'm certain that this communication isn't in English.

And this with the season already underway and precious few potential replacements available.

It's much easier to draw that line in the sand with a player valued at 8 million and with 2-3 years of contract left. As for the "gentlemen's agreement", it would only carry weight with me if both gentlemen and their representatives acted like gentlemen. If the player's agent starts touting the player around behind the scenes, everything changes.

What is José going to do if we stand firm?

The club's policy is to try to sell all of our best players for a profit at some stage, usually after they've only played for us for only 2 years. Fonte has been watching this going on around him for years as all of his former team mates have been sold off. You can't blame him if he wants to have some say in when they cash in on him and which club they sell him to. Les would probably sell him next year anyway and many posters on here would congratulate him for doing it, saying it was the last chance we had to get money for him and that it was a good bit of business. Personally, I wouldn't. We should stop selling our best players but everyone in the football world just sees us as a business now, including our own players.

Keep him at all costs,he will pull his head out of the clouds soon enough,he is priceless around the team and is earmarked for a future with us after his playing days.

We may get £8-9m for him but that is nothing for what we would be selling, keep him on then start your search for a replacement and gradually bed them in.

Selling now and attempting to get a replacement is nuts,because if we do not get our target we will be left with Yosh and Gardos as back up to VVD

Anyone entertaining the thought of selling for quick £££ is mental

He's got the opportunity to sign for one of the worlds biggest clubs , play in the champions league ( next season ) , play for a great manager who is probably his countries greates ever and earn a shed more money whilst doing so .

I highly doubt he will be a first choice pick in a years time. Might not even be after the Jan window so his chances of playing in the CL are slim I would say.

The club's policy is to try to sell all of our best players for a profit at some stage, usually after they've only played for us for only 2 years. Fonte has been watching this going on around him for years as all of his former team mates have been sold off. You can't blame him if he wants to have some say in when they cash in on him and which club they sell him to. Les would probably sell him next year anyway and many posters on here would congratulate him for doing it, saying it was the last chance we had to get money for him and that it was a good bit of business. Personally, I wouldn't. We should stop selling our best players but everyone in the football world just sees us as a business now, including our own players.

Reminds me of Morgan, he also was obviously totally unaware that we wouldn't sell him..and he had a strop. He was only placated by the promise to sell him the following year...the issue is Fonte knows they won't be back next year..it's now or never!

Will be interesting how he does react if we do get an offer and we refuse it!

You said we would sign Kostic :)

#ITK_Watch

Was wrong about that one. I don't claim to be ITK, but I've heard we will sign one more player from the French league for around £15 million.

Don't know the player, just know they're a forward and Fonte definitely not leaving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's really simple - we don't have to sell, we don't need the money.

Tell him and any club enquiring he's not for sale in this window and that's it.

At this stage of the window, we need to be fully focussed on incomings, and not even contemplating selling Fonte, a key part of the defensive solidity that we have based our success on in the last few seasons.

Completely agree, the club deserves better, if it wasn't for Southampton he wouldn't be playing for Portugal, if it wasn't for Southampton he wouldn't have won the Euros, if it wasn't for Southampton he wouldn't be a multi millionaire, if it wasn't for Southampton he would't be playing in the premier league. The player doesn't deserve a chance at a big club, how about the club deserves a little bit of respect from these players who wouldn't be where they are now without it. What are we supposed to be, just a place for players to serve an apprenticeship akin to the reserves until they 'deserve' their chance in the first team.

This is nonsense.

He is a saints legend at the back-end of his career. Of course he deserves it. Him above anyone else. He has been massive in getting us to 6th in the premier league. Allow him a final pay day after such hard work, commitment and loyalty. Go to Man U Fonte. Thanks for the effort.

And of course he signed a new contract!! You would too. He would happily see it out too, but one final chance to play champions league. To good to miss. if you love him, let him go.

Edited by Benny F
didnt mean the last comment

This is nonsense.

He is a saints legend at the back-end of his career. Of course he deserves it. Him above anyone else. He has been massive in getting us to 6th in the premier league. Allow him a final pay day after such hard work, commitment and loyalty. Go to Man U Fonte. Thanks for the effort.

And of course he signed a new contract!! You would too. He would happily see it out too, but one final chance to play champions league. To good to miss. if you love him, let him go.

United aren't in the CL this year :) I can accept him going anywhere except an English team, that's all.

This is nonsense.

Yeah, only one issue with that - Man U are not in the champions league.

At this stage of the window, we need to be fully focussed on incomings, and not even contemplating selling Fonte, a key part of the defensive solidity that we have based our success on in the last few seasons.

Why couldn't our business have been already completed and maybe Fonte might be thinking we have x and x who are very exciting, why would I want to leave this?.we should have a good year!

Mourinho is on record as saying that he had a plan to buy four players this summer and that is what he has done - Bailey, Zlatan, Pogba and Mkhitaryan. He has also said that he works with a squad of 23 players - 2 for each outfield position plus 3 keepers. United have that in abundance. They have four (or more) CB's in Smalling, Bailey, Jones, Rojo and Blind (depending on how you want to classify the latter two).

Based on that, plus their impressive academy they don't need to be looking at buying a 32yr old CB who is going to cost over the odds because of his recently signed contract.

Stranger things have happened in football, but I'd be surprised if we received a serious offer for him from Man Utd.

There are many complex issues though. IMO the clubs policy is to buy and sell on. We are basically a shop window for players to look good at SMS in the PL so they can step up to bigger clubs where they can get CL football and trophies. The agents like us, the big clubs do also as we have road tested the player to a degree, and all sides get large financial reward.

The advantage to the fans IMO, is limited to watching players progress and develop in our colours before leaving for what they believe greater things. Many are happy to accept it whilst they see 6/7/8th positons in the league.

On this occasion I think the club should accept a decent fee, as he is an ageing product that will need replacing probably at the end of this season or the middle of next.

I know 1) what the Club's policy is/seems to be, 2) that Fonte is an aging asset, 3) that he has seen others go for bigger paydays, 4) that this has usually happened with a final contract year looming, 5) that we have been able to command big transfer fees for outgoing key players, and 6) that we have generally replaced departing assets very well.

Fonte is contractually obliged to play for us until Summer 2018 unless we choose to let him go, so 4) doesn't apply. Given his age, he doesn't qualify for the big transfer fee, so 5) doesn't work here either. And I have my doubts about 6) as well - quality central defenders are hard to find and expensive, and we haven't been linked with any for several months. Rojo could do the job (IMO he's better in central D) but there will be wage issues and could be attitude issues.

But I also know 1) that Fonte dovetails very well with VvD, 2) that Cedric would be exposed more often if he didn't have a linguistic partner right next to him, 3) that Yoshida and Gardos are not of PL starting calibre, and 4) that we're caught between the jaws of a season-already-started and a closing window.

For me, this one decision has the capability of making the difference between an 8th place finish and a 14th place finish.

Given that continuous development has been a cornerstone of club policy, we're about to find out whether that cornerstone is more important than the supposed club policies you guys reference.

Wrong time for the club captain to be sold as we are going through transition period be huge loss for all including our manager .. We need keep him for this season at least even till jan but dont sell now ... That's unless we have a better replacement sorted which I doubt .. Expect fonte has been told as such

Rojo the better defender?

since when?

I said "better IN central D" - because I wasn't very impressed with him at LB, which is where LvG used him a fair number of times. And the position we wanted him for when Luke was on his way out.

I didn't mean he's better there than Fonte, because he certainly isn't.

if my memory is correct, Les Reed pulled out of a quite advanced negotiation to buy Rojo two or three years ago, on the grounds there were too many intermediaries wanting a cut from the proceeds, so he must have been on the radar at the time. United had no such scruples. But then none of the current press stories about him (or indeed about anyone else incoming or outgoing) have the faintest whiff of credibility. Perhaps the Telegraph and the Echo are slight exceptions, because the club is briefing them.

Fonte is a club legend, who attitude and play have always been top notch. Players like Jose are the reason I love this club and I really believe he loves this club too. He's a great defender but also a player who lifts the rest of the team. I realize this is his last chance for a big carear move, but I have the naive hope that his emotion will persuade him to stay over the money.

I think a thread with praise and plees to stay would be more benificial than all these cynical posts that he's deserting us or got his head in the clouds, based on dubious rumours.

Fonte is a club legend, who attitude and play have always been top notch. Players like Jose are the reason I love this club and I really believe he loves this club too. He's a great defender but also a player who lifts the rest of the team. I realize this is his last chance for a big carear move, but I have the naive hope that his emotion will persuade him to stay over the money.

I think a thread with praise and plees to stay would be more benificial than all these cynical posts that he's deserting us or got his head in the clouds, based on dubious rumours.

I'm pretty sure no thread on any forum will make a blind bit of difference.

Hardly awful. Playing with a different CB often, then at LB doesn't help you settle in. Besides, failing at Man Utd doesn't mean you aren't good enough for Saints.

I wouldn't want Rojo. He's always out of position, he has as many mistakes in him as Yoshida and has a bit of an attitude apparently.

if my memory is correct, Les Reed pulled out of a quite advanced negotiation to buy Rojo two or three years ago, on the grounds there were too many intermediaries wanting a cut from the proceeds, so he must have been on the radar at the time. United had no such scruples. But then none of the current press stories about him (or indeed about anyone else incoming or outgoing) have the faintest whiff of credibility. Perhaps the Telegraph and the Echo are slight exceptions, because the club is briefing them.

didn't they use us to get United to show their hand?

Fonte news?

Manchester United v Southampton (Fri, 20:00 BST)

Simon Stone

BBC Sport

Posted at 14:29

Transfer deadline day is drawing near, which means managers start to clam up about who they are looking to sign.

Southampton's Jose Fonte is rumoured to be on Manchester United's radar, probably as cover for new signing Eric Bailly, who is due to go to the African Cup of Nations with the Ivory Coast in January.

Saints manager Claude Puel questioned the timing of such speculation on Wednesday.

Jose Mourinho was not interested in joining the debate.

"I don't comment. I don't care," he said.

Not a ringing endorsement of Fonte there ?

The Jose to Man United has been discussed several times today on Talksport. Every pundit or informed guest has written off Jose moving, saying he'd prefer playing regular football to sitting on the bench for United. Money would be the only reason he may wish to cash in on his end of career

Fonte news?

Manchester United v Southampton (Fri, 20:00 BST)

Simon Stone

BBC Sport

Posted at 14:29

Transfer deadline day is drawing near, which means managers start to clam up about who they are looking to sign.

Southampton's Jose Fonte is rumoured to be on Manchester United's radar, probably as cover for new signing Eric Bailly, who is due to go to the African Cup of Nations with the Ivory Coast in January.

Saints manager Claude Puel questioned the timing of such speculation on Wednesday.

Jose Mourinho was not interested in joining the debate.

"I don't comment. I don't care," he said.

Not a ringing endorsement of Fonte there

Perhaps he was saying he doesnt care about rumours...

I know this much:

Fonte is happy to stay/wants to stay but has received offers for much more money. His family would prefer to stay here as they are settled but will move if they have to.

Fonte is after a pay rise to reflect his performances for club and country as he is thinking about his future. He has the opportunity to earn much more elsewhere but would prefer to stay here. He would like more money, the club are reluctant as it is against their policy.

The bottom line here is that contrary to popular belief, Jose's head has not been turned by bigger clubs, but he does want to make more money (don't we all!).

My source on this is very solid however I will not reveal details and could not give a flying doodaa if any of you believe me. Just getting bored of the speculation about him and for once it looks like a player is not just after that big move.

I know this much:

Fonte is happy to stay/wants to stay but has received offers for much more money. His family would prefer to stay here as they are settled but will move if they have to.

Fonte is after a pay rise to reflect his performances for club and country as he is thinking about his future. He has the opportunity to earn much more elsewhere but would prefer to stay here. He would like more money, the club are reluctant as it is against their policy.

The bottom line here is that contrary to popular belief, Jose's head has not been turned by bigger clubs, but he does want to make more money (don't we all!).

My source on this is very solid however I will not reveal details and could not give a flying doodaa if any of you believe me. Just getting bored of the speculation about him and for once it looks like a player is not just after that big move.

If he wants more money because hes been offered more by other clubs how hasn't his head been turned ?

I know this much:

How much money does a footballer need FFS - yes its a small career but jeesh they earn far more than any sane person can spend in a month!

I know this much:

Just pay him. It will cost much more looking for a replacement

I know this much:

Yes it has. The only difference with Fonte is that he will not be forcing a move and is genuinely happy to stay. If a bid comes in from a big club and our club accept, he's off. He want's more money, and that's that.