Fonte Transfer Rumours

Master Bates

:)Typical of a Saints fans luck, we get the only billionaire football club owners who want to make money:)

I think that sort of comment is deeply disrespectable to both Markus and Katharina.

Markus's pledge was to restore the club back to a secure Premier League position. Katherina has openly said she does not want to bankroll the club and it therefore needs to be self sufficient.

any expectation beyond what has been promised seems ungrateful for the generosity we have received from the Liebherr family.

It's getting too late in the transfer window this season to replace Jose now, if it's true that he really wants to leave Saints behind him. Maybe summer 2017. That would give us plenty of time to sort out a decent replacement if he wants to go.

I agree. Club should say listen Jose that "gentleman's agreement" we discussed last season, forget that and sign a this new shiny contract. We will give you a new improved "gentleman's agreement" for you to leave next summer.

Like you say gives us plenty of time to scope out a perfect replacement.

It's getting too late in the transfer window this season to replace Jose now, if it's true that he really wants to leave Saints behind him. Maybe summer 2017. That would give us plenty of time to sort out a decent replacement if he wants to go.

No one will want him by then his stock is about as high as it will ever get if he wants one more big money contract before he retires it's now or never.

Why would he go to United if he wanted CL football this season?

Yeah bit of a **** up there on my part. Should've put:

He want's a CL club but he's keen on a move to utd. He also would be happy with a move back to Portugual. From what I know, he's not pushing for a move at all and loves it here, but feels at his age a big club like Utd is too good to turn down.

It would be suicide for us to let him go though.

If he goes... Fonte leaving will be the biggest loss we have suffered since promotion IMO. He is the beating heart of our defence has been the one constant in all the changes of recent years and our success recently is built on the solid foundations of his good organisation at the back no matter the manager or forward players. Lovren, Alderwiereld and Van Dijk have all come in and felt at home instantly. Yes they are great and arguably Van Dijk is best of the lot but defence is the key to success in the Premier League and having the confidence to boss it and call it like Fonte does comes from being in the role for as long as he has.

Said it before and i'll say it again. Jose is keen on a move to a CL club. If Utd stump up the cash, he is a goner.

I was searching for that interview from a few weeks ago with the Portuguese Press (but couldn't find it) where all these rumours started, in which he said he was very happy at Southampton ............ but if a Champs League team were to make an approach, who knows what might happen?

Well as far as I know Man U, nor Everton are in The CL. Can we hold him to this :scared:

It was O Jogo

When asked if he’d aspire new levels after winning the Euro title, Fonte said: “Southampton are a good club in England, where I’ve been treated very well, we have been successful. However, in football you never know what can happen and it’s obvious that if a world class club who play in the Champions League show up, it’s tempting for me. But I state it again, I’m happy where I am.”

The defender was questioned if a starter for the European champions shouldn’t have a place in a top club squad, and the reporter especially mentioned what they say were recent Manchester United recent rumours.

Fonte replied: “I can’t make statements like that. What I can say is that I strongly believe in my abilities and, through it, I think I can play in any team in the world.”

Sounds like if the offer is there, he's prepared to take it.

I can't fault him for chasing a new experience for the twilight of his career but will be gutted if he leaves.

It was O Jogo

Sounds like if the offer is there, he's prepared to take it.

I can't fault him for chasing a new experience for the twilight of his career but will be gutted if he leaves.

it’s obvious that if a world class club who play in the Champions League show up, it’s tempting for me. But I state it again, I’m happy where I am.”

Down grading his aspirations in the name of money and a cosy dug out seat next to Morgan??

it’s obvious that if a world class club who play in the Champions League show up, it’s tempting for me. But I state it again, I’m happy where I am.”

Down grading his aspirations in the name of money and a cosy dug out seat next to Morgan??

1. I think Jose expects to play for more than one year, should he move clubs.

2. I think Jose expects Man U has a better chance at making the CL before his career ends than the Saints do.

3. I think Jose has tremendous self belief and will view a move as an opportunity to work his way into the lineup as he just did with the national team.

I cannot fault any of those lines of reasoning, although I do not fully agree.

If this story has legs then expect him to start and play out of his skin on Friday to impress. Others of course will argue that if he does not start it will be a sign also of keeping him intact physically so as not to kill a move. Not satisfactory either way for us.

On the other hand if we get tonked 4 or 5 Nil, then maybe United will say Jose WHO?

I was searching for that interview from a few weeks ago with the Portuguese Press (but couldn't find it) where all these rumours started, in which he said he was very happy at Southampton ............ but if a Champs League team were to make an approach, who knows what might happen?

Well as far as I know Man U, nor Everton are in The CL. Can we hold him to this :scared:

If he went to Everton we'd all be scratching our heads, but CL or not, the chance to play for one of the world's biggest clubs is a head-turner. If Real Madrid or Barca were in for Fonte most would instantly understand and accept his departure, it's really because it's Man Utd. And they'll be back in the CL next year.

Hope he stays but if he goes to a club like the mancs I wouldn't blame him, appreciate the years he gave us and just get over it.

If this story has legs then expect him to start and play out of his skin on Friday to impress. Others of course will argue that if he does not start it will be a sign also of keeping him intact physically so as not to kill a move. Not satisfactory either way for us.

On the other hand if we get tonked 4 or 5 Nil, then maybe United will say Jose WHO?

He plays, we win = he is off, impressing his new team

He plays, we lose = he is off, gifting his new team the points

Doesn't play, we lose = he is off and team rattled by Man Utd tapping up

Doesn't play, we win = he is off and we don't need him/was holding us back.

[emoji23]

[emoji23]

:lol:

1. I think Jose expects to play for more than one year, should he move clubs.

2. I think Jose expects Man U has a better chance at making the CL before his career ends than the Saints do.

3. I think Jose has tremendous self belief and will view a move as an opportunity to work his way into the lineup as he just did with the national team.

I cannot fault any of those lines of reasoning, although I do not fully agree.

All true, but in the meantime how about he gets back to serving the club/team that put him in that position and he is currently captain of.

[emoji23]

so we're looking for a draw?

Jose has form for showing "interest" in players when their current team are about to play his and thereby upsetting the preparations before a game. And it's not confined to the transfer window either as when he was at Chelsea he'd hint at loving to have oppo players in his team. It is imperative for him to get a good start to the season at Utd, else the pressure will a huge distraction and a lot of it is all part of the mind games shown in the modern game. It would be no surprise to see the tabloid coverage ramp up about it before Friday.

I'm not saying there is no interest as I wouldn't know, but i expect Utd to make full use of it before kick off to try and have Jose's head in Manchester.

Jose has form for showing "interest" in players when their current team are about to play his and thereby upsetting the preparations before a game. And it's not confined to the transfer window either as when he was at Chelsea he'd hint at loving to have oppo players in his team. It is imperative for him to get a good start to the season at Utd, else the pressure will a huge distraction and a lot of it is all part of the mind games shown in the modern game. It would be no surprise to see the tabloid coverage ramp up about it before Friday.

I'm not saying there is no interest as I wouldn't know, but i expect Utd to make full use of it before kick off to try and have Jose's head in Manchester.

Definitely a possibility. We'll know on Monday when he either signs for United or all talk of it vanishes

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Good hypothesis and Ronald Koeman would have had none of it so it'll interesting to see if Puel is dancing to the Special One's tune. You may have hit the nail bang on the flat! Let's hope that this is all there is to it.

Yes, I think there is some mileage here. I may well be that Jose saw the fixture list and saw his first home game as a potential banana skin - bearing in mind Saints went neck and neck with United last season. If this is the case, Fonte has been played, like a banjo...

I've been bouncing this (conspiracy) theory around in my head for a while now. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if this was simply a case of Mourinho playing mind games to unsettle us for the game on Friday.