Fonte Transfer Rumours

Master Bates

Fonte is different to our other departures in that he has no leverage. Everyone else has been able to say 'sell me now or I will leave next summer/2 years'. With Jose that simply isn't a threat, so we hold old the aces.

He will stay unless its to our advantage to sell him, I.e. We have another Virgil/Toby/Lovren lined up.

He is an inspirational captain and he has been fantastic for us. If anyone has tried to generate team spirit as players have been bought and sold around him, it's him. Why do fans talk about him like this? Our players have access to the internet. They are human and they will naturally be curious to see what is said about them so they must know that the fans just view them as commodities to be bought and sold. We show them very little loyalty.

He is an inspirational captain and he has been fantastic for us. If anyone has tried to generate team spirit as players have been bought and sold around him, it's him. Why do fans talk about him like this? Our players have access to the internet. They are human and they will naturally be curious to see what is said about them so they must know that the fans just view them as commodities to be bought and sold. We show them very little loyalty.

Pretty much anyone decent we've had since Matt Le Tiss has sent their agent down to St Mary's, demanding they be bought and sold like a commodity. That anyone would accuse Saints fans of not showing loyalty to their players is hilarious.

£8 million is an insult, he's under contract and our captain, Twice that AT LEAST for money bags Utd.

They've just spend £89 million on a player probably not worth £50 million. If they want him, make them spend, we know they are willing.

He's better than Ashley Williams and he went for over £12 million.

What is the point in selling him for £8million? You can't get **** all for that nowadays, we would have to spend at least double that to get the same quality in.

If he wants to go I would rather let him sulk in the reserves for the rest of his time here than take £8mill.

Me too, perhaps a line in the sand will be drawn this time. That, or we will let him go for £6M (plus impossible 'add ons') and do a PR special on Maya Yoshida...

If the club gave Fonte a gentleman's agreement that he could leave if X,Y,Z the club need to honour that gentleman's agreement or risk losing credibility with the rest of the squad.

Sadly I think the club will fairly commonly make these gentleman's agreements and it's coming back to bite us.

Burt you will slag the club off if they do, so you are hoping he goes

I don't think anyone will be happy to see him go. I can't believe the club would let him go either but I would be delighted if he stayed.

People have a right to question the club - we pay to watch them and would prefer not to have all our assets stripped EVERY year

People have a right to question the club - we pay to watch them and would prefer not to have all our assets stripped EVERY year

Not allowed to say things like that around here, you "bedwetter". Don't you know that our asset stripping is actually a sign of progress in the club and a sign of ambition! Duhhh!!

we are in for a hell of a difficult season.

(p.s. chomp chomp chomp)

I wouldn't like to see him leave but like all fans i have a very short memory. If we let him go for let's say 10-14 million I would feel slightly better.

If we then have replacement lined up in the mould of Toby or a VVD then I'm pretty sure we would get over it.

I wouldn't like to see him leave but like all fans i have a very short memory. If we let him go for let's say 10-14 million I would feel slightly better.

If we then have replacement lined up in the mould of Toby or a VVD then I'm pretty sure we would get over it.

What does the price matter to you? We are not selling to survive.

If we get £12m+ for him take it. We'll need to replace him next year anyway imo at which point he'll ride out his last year of contract from the bench. VVD has proven himself a leader not just in defence but for the whole team and can fill the boots. He'd also be 1 of our highest earners despite not being a top performer anymore; reliable but not a standout; so that'll free up some salary space.

If we get £12m+ for him take it. We'll need to replace him next year anyway imo at which point he'll ride out his last year of contract from the bench. VVD has proven himself a leader not just in defence but for the whole team and can fill the boots. He'd also be 1 of our highest earners despite not being a top performer anymore; reliable but not a standout; so that'll free up some salary space.

why wouldnt he.?

he is at the peak of his powers

That's kind of a big IF though, isn't it? Defenders of the quality of Toby, VVD (and Fonte for that matter) who are within our price range for transfer fee/salary are pretty few and far between.

At this stage of the window, and bearing in mind the dubious strength of our squad in other areas, I don't think it's a gamble we should be taking in this window to lose another one of our team leaders - even if the price is right.

That's kind of a big IF though, isn't it? Defenders of the quality of Toby, VVD (and Fonte for that matter) who are within our price range for transfer fee/salary are pretty few and far between.

At this stage of the window, and bearing in mind the dubious strength of our squad in other areas, I don't think it's a gamble we should be taking in this window to lose another one of our team leaders - even if the price is right.

I agree. If he really does want to go, he needs the Morgan treatment. Too late to just let him go, at any price. We can't face the season with Yoshida first choice.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

I get your point but we did sign Toby and VVD this late in the window

why wouldnt he.?

he is at the peak of his powers

He's not. He's over the hill. He turns 33 in 4 months. You can't compare him to the Italian defenders that look unbeatable in their 30's because that league is miles slower than the premier league. He's going to lose more pace and then struggle to handle the fast dribblers. VVD outclassed him last year and the gulf will only get bigger.

He's not. He's over the hill. He turns 33 in 4 months. You can't compare him to the Italian defenders that look unbeatable in their 30's because that league is miles slower than the premier league. He's going to lose more pace and then struggle to handle the fast dribblers. VVD outclassed him last year and the gulf will only get bigger.

:lol:

Yeah looked terrible in the euro`s...

Honestly some people :rolleyes:

:lol:

Yeah looked terrible in the euro`s...

Honestly some people :rolleyes:

What? I'm saying hes past his peak. Not that he's rubbish. Read who i'm quoting. Some people..

Edit: Look at Ivanovic. Went from 1 of the leagues best defenders in 2014/15 to an absolute liability in 2015/16. The cliff can come fast for older defenders against pacy attackers.

What? I'm saying hes past his peak. Not that he's rubbish. Read who i'm quoting. Some people..

Edit: Look at Ivanovic. Went from 1 of the leagues best defenders in 2014/15 to an absolute liability in 2015/16. The cliff can come fast for older defenders against pacy attackers.

Sorry but i dont agree, he is at his peak not past it, he was superb for portugal....or has he suddenly got bad in your eyes in one game..?

Sorry but i dont agree, he is at his peak not past it, he was superb for portugal....or has he suddenly got bad in your eyes in one game..?

Lets agree to disagree then. My opinions on what I saw last season. He's still reliable and well ahead of Yoshi in my eyes. We'd need a ready made Toby/VVD to replace him.

First of all I don't think Arsenal or ManU are interested in signing Fonte at all. I think the media have been spoon fed stories to create a bargaining chip in contract negotiations. As for those, I wouldn't want to be adding an extra year to Fonte's contract. I can see the benefit of keeping him happy with a raise, but it makes much more sense to see how things pan out this season before offering another year to the two he already has.

Personally I think his positioning and reading of the game are perhaps at their peak, but he has certainly lost a yard of pace and that will only get worse. Can we find better? There are players out there as we ourselves have proved...but will we?

There's a difference between physical peak and overall peak as a player though in my opinion.

You're saying Fonte is past his peak, but I assume you are basing that pretty much entirely on his age rather than his performances, which have been outstanding in the last year. Defending is not just about pace - this is a factor of course but it's also about experience, reading of the game positioning and tactical know-how. For that reason, I would say Fonte IS currently at the peak of his powers overall as a defender, as he demonstrated in the Euros.

Regarding Ivanovic, he did have a poor season, but so did a lot of Chelsea's players - there were clearly other factors at play there! Would also note that both Ivanovic and Terry are both still first team starters under Conte, a man I would suggest who knows a thing or two about setting up a defence.

Me too, perhaps a line in the sand will be drawn this time. That, or we will let him go for £6M (plus impossible 'add ons') and do a PR special on Maya Yoshida...

Lol at that, PR special on Yoshida!

We know the current club management too well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently Koeman has been Sniffing around VVD and we have quoted £60mill.

Whilst I don;t think we should sell him, if they offered that then I'd expect the club would agree.

I'd expect the club would trust our scouting enough to find a suitable replacement for a lot less and it would be fing hilarious to see Everton spend more on than they got on Stones for his replacement.

But really that is our, 'he's not for sale but if you throw silly money at us' amount.

Not for sale is better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that just encourages clubs these days to think they can start negotiating.

Better to say 'X amount or F-off' then there isn't much room for back and forth.

He's also got a lot of miles in his legs having played so many games in the lower leagues . Shanks used to claim he could tell when a players legs had gone before anyone else and that ruthlessly ditching them st that point was a key component of management. Nowadays there's all sorts of gizmos and support staff to monitor these things rather than the managerial instinct . His reading of the game is excellent and his positional play very good most of the time . There were signs last season that he's at the tipping point and maybe slightly over it, but having Pepe & VvD as a partner and his intelligence as a centre half means he's still top quality. If you take the emotion out of it there is some sense in selling him. A replacement/ competition will be needed next season , he's at the top of his value now , but the downside is it's very late in the window .

He's also got a lot of miles in his legs having played so many games in the lower leagues . Shanks used to claim he could tell when a players legs had gone before anyone else and that ruthlessly ditching them st that point was a key component of management. Nowadays there's all sorts of gizmos and support staff to monitor these things rather than the managerial instinct . His reading of the game is excellent and his positional play very good most of the time . There were signs last season that he's at the tipping point and maybe slightly over it, but having Pepe & VvD as a partner and his intelligence as a centre half means he's still top quality. If you take the emotion out of it there is some sense in selling him. A replacement/ competition will be needed next season , he's at the top of his value now , but the downside is it's very late in the window .

He's also younger than Mo Farah, who's done a lot more miles. Nowadays, central defenders are at their best in their early 30s, which is why Real Madrid have Pepe at the heart of their defence. You could argue that strikers need pace even more. Ibrahimovich is 35 this year and that didn't stop Mourinho signing him. Fonte has at least 2 more good seasons left in him and I can understand why Mourinho would like him to fill the role at Man United that Terry had at Chelsea. We sell most of the players we buy after 2 seasons, so it's unlikely a younger player would here last any longer.

I think Puel knows how important Fonte is for the team so he won't want him sold.

Rumour has it that there was a bit more behind his performances going downhill, apparently he was having a dalliance, the special one was less than impressed with either party and his performances slid as the yarn escalated. He was much better 2nd half (and that's from ST holding relies up there).

Rumour has it that there was a bit more behind his performances going downhill, apparently he was having a dalliance, the special one was less than impressed with either party and his performances slid as the yarn escalated. He was much better 2nd half (and that's from ST holding relies up there).

What did his Doctor say about all that? :D