Fonte Transfer Rumours

Master Bates

It's far from obvious.

It could be quashed quite easily by the man himself. But all we have had was the 7 years of Passion,hard work,dedication and putting the team first,we was able to achieve success after success!!! Thank you for being there all the way #wemarchon together!! Now to me, coupled with the speculation curently going on, I can well understand why people are of the opinion that it seems that he thinks he has run his distance with Saints.

Personally, I'll just wait to see what happens.

It could be quashed quite easily by the man himself. But all we have had was the 7 years of Passion,hard work,dedication and putting the team first,we was able to achieve success after success!!! Thank you for being there all the way #wemarchon together!! Now to me, coupled with the speculation curently going on, I can well understand why people are of the opinion that it seems that he thinks he has run his distance with Saints.

Personally, I'll just wait to see what happens.

It will be quashed if/when he resigns to the idea of staying at saints. Followed by snippets that he never had any intention of leaving

ROJO SWAP DEAL KLAXON!

http://thesun.uk/6017B2ni3 *

* Alex Crook exclusive disclaimer

ROJO STAYING PUT?

Sky sources understand that Man Utd defender Marcos Rojo is not aware of any swap deal involving Southampton's Jose Fonte - as has been reported today.

Earlier in the window, Rojo was assured he was not on the market and United communicated this to interested clubs.

Nothing has changed from the player's point of view. He wants to stay and fight for a starting place.

I find it very hypocritical of people who are critical of Fonte for having his head allegedly turned by Utd or a.n.other bigger club. He deserves his big move unlike one or two others who have left us recently before they have really achieved anything (Chambers for one). It would of course be a shame for us but seriously who can begrudge him it? If you contrast this to our lives in the world of "normal" jobs, and you are offered a cracking opportunity at a bigger firm, with more profile, and for a lot more money versus staying at your current one where you are loved, been very succesful and you love being at, it would be a very difficult decision, and I'm sure this is where he is in his head. So, if he does go, I wish him every success and will forever view him as a Saints legend. If he stays, then thats great too.

I find it very hypocritical of people who are critical of Fonte for having his head allegedly turned by Utd or a.n.other bigger club. He deserves his big move unlike one or two others who have left us recently before they have really achieved anything (Chambers for one). It would of course be a shame for us but seriously who can begrudge him it? If you contrast this to our lives in the world of "normal" jobs, and you are offered a cracking opportunity at a bigger firm, with more profile, and for a lot more money versus staying at your current one where you are loved, been very succesful and you love being at, it would be a very difficult decision, and I'm sure this is where he is in his head. So, if he does go, I wish him every success and will forever view him as a Saints legend. If he stays, then thats great too.

Yawn

Oh these poor highly paid players not getting their well deserved move to a big club cause they've done their time at Saints and now we owe them one

all the best captain fonte may you go on to bigger and better things, cause you deserve it and to retire rich and happy

I take issue with this 'deserves his big move' nonsense. We deserve his staying, as we were pretty loyal when he wasn't great, and we pay him what is a small fortune every week. Footballers are so spoilt, and it's not helped by this creeping feeling about 'deserving' even more untold riches whilst leaving us in the lurch. Sorry; doesnt wash with me.

Fonte left a team in the Championship playoffs to join a team outside the League 1 playoffs when he joined us. He didn't do that for his love of Southampton. He made a professional decision that was probably related to his wealth and his opportunity to achieve.

If he did the same as Man Utd or Arsenal are after him how can anyone take exception to it?

Fonte left a team in the Championship playoffs to join a team outside the League 1 playoffs when he joined us. He didn't do that for his love of Southampton. He made a professional decision that was probably related to his wealth and his opportunity to achieve.

If he did the same as Man Utd or Arsenal are after him how can anyone take exception to it?

Because he is under contract and we should say no

I'm with you on this. All those who say why does he deserve it, or he's greedy bsteward. I don't see it like that, if you are paid £500 a week or £55k a week if someone is going to double your wage you're going to be interested.

Add the fact that with Southampton he has a very small chance of winning any medals and almost a zero % chance of winning the league the potential to move to a club who will challenge for the title has to be tempting.

How do Saints keep him? It's tough... Wages are important and we need to pay him what other clubs will and we have to show some ambition and convince Jose that we will be competing for medals. Finally we can discuss the option of a testimonial and a coaching job at the club once he hangs up his boots?

Presumably he was deemed surplus to requirement at Palace and they were happy to let him go.

Because he is under contract and we should say no

True. To break a contract, both parties have to agree.

Presumably he was deemed surplus to requirement at Palace and they were happy to let him go.

True. To break a contract, both parties have to agree.

Palace were in serious financial poo at the time if I remember rightly. May have even been in admin?????

Yawn

Oh these poor highly paid players not getting their well deserved move to a big club cause they've done their time at Saints and now we owe them one

all the best captain fonte may you go on to bigger and better things, cause you deserve it and to retire rich and happy

I'm with you on this. If he wanted to move on, then he shouldn't have signed a new contract keeping him here until 2018. You can't have it all ways, and sometimes you just have to live by the decisions you make. The club being left in the lurch seems to be ignored by many who say he has earned a move.The club has earned some respect and shouldn't be left in the lurch like this.

This, I have no idea what is going on, but the fact that a BIG club or clubs have shown an interest in Fonte should not be a surprise.

Palace were in serious financial poo at the time if I remember rightly. May have even been in admin?????

interesting how Jose saw it at the time he first signed for us

Southampton have signed Crystal Palace defender Jose Fonte for an undisclosed fee, reports BBC Radio Solent.

The 26-year-old Portuguese centre-back has signed a three-and-a-half year deal with the League One side, dropping down a division from the Championship.

Fonte has been a regular for Palace since joining them on loan in 2007 from Benfica, making 92 appearances and scoring six goals for the Eagles.

"I'm really happy to be at St Mary's," Fonte told BBC Radio Solent.

"Don't get me wrong , I was happy at Crystal Palace and I had a good spell there. I have only good things to say to the fans and everybody I have worked with at the club.

"But I've made a decision and I'm very happy with it. I've come here with a purpose which is to help this club move to the top divisions.

"I'm very happy with this contract, and with how Southampton have treated me, so it's a happy day for me and I just want to help the club.

"I want to play in the Premier League and I think I can do that quickest by moving here."

I'm with you on this. If he wanted to move on, then he shouldn't have signed a new contract keeping him here until 2018. You can't have it all ways, and sometimes you just have to live by the decisions you make. The club being left in the lurch seems to be ignored by many who say he has earned a move.The club has earned some respect and shouldn't be left in the lurch like this.

Completely agree, the club deserves better, if it wasn't for Southampton he wouldn't be playing for Portugal, if it wasn't for Southampton he wouldn't have won the Euros, if it wasn't for Southampton he wouldn't be a multi millionaire, if it wasn't for Southampton he would't be playing in the premier league. The player doesn't deserve a chance at a big club, how about the club deserves a little bit of respect from these players who wouldn't be where they are now without it. What are we supposed to be, just a place for players to serve an apprenticeship akin to the reserves until they 'deserve' their chance in the first team.

We're at the "told friends he wants to go" stage of things.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/538536/Jose-Fonte-Man-United-Arsenal-Premier-League-Southampton-transfers-rumours-gossip

This if true (NB IF) always strikes me as a pussy's way of doing it. If you want to go, put in a damn transfer request.

He can tell pals he wants to go all he likes, but if the club don't receive a worthy offer for him, or we can't find a suitable replacement before the window closes, he will have to just suck it up and honour the contract that he signed in good faith last year.

I've never bought into this "deserves a big move" logic, as though we/the club owe it to the players to not stand in their way. Screw that, if you want a 'big' move someday, have a little foresight an insert a release clause. We've committed to paying Fonte until 2018 regardless of performance, and he's committed to playing for us until 2018...that should be the end of it unless a mutually beneficial deal arises. I am slightly sick of player power (or the (potential) caving in to it).

We're at the "told friends he wants to go" stage of things.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/538536/Jose-Fonte-Man-United-Arsenal-Premier-League-Southampton-transfers-rumours-gossip

This if true (NB IF) always strikes me as a pussy's way of doing it. If you want to go, put in a damn transfer request.

It's the sensible financial way of doing it - you lose out on a bunch of additional payments if you put in a transfer request.

Tbh Fonte isn't going to achieve anything else internationally than he just did, he's got at most 3 years left, I can see why he wants those 3 years to make him as much money as possible.

I can also see why he'd want to stay for a number of non-financial reasons, and the club would certainly benefit from having at least one player in demand who chose NOT to leave.

He can tell pals he wants to go all he likes, but if the club don't receive a worthy offer for him, or we can't find a suitable replacement before the window closes, he will have to just suck it up and honour the contract that he signed in good faith last year.

Or the new deal he's got sitting around waiting for him to sign it (according to Lungs, who I know is a very reliable source on this, if terrible at reporting what he actually knows in rather than editorialising it).

Or the new deal he's got sitting around waiting for him to sign it (according to Lungs, who I know is a very reliable source on this, if terrible at reporting what he actually knows in rather than editorialising it).

Yes yes I know I jumped the gun a little! :p

Embellsihment of the highest order then(?), given that Lungs said he signed it around the first of this month.

Embellsihment of the highest order then(?), given that Lungs said he signed it around the first of this month.

I could waffle, plagiarise off other people and make stuff up instead of saying exactly what I hear at the time, if you'd like?

#wafflewafflewaffle

Yeah but another way to think of it- two years at United on a high wage and then what? Unless he goes into coaching his salary will drop.

With us, another 2 years on a high salary anyway, a testimonial, and then we give him a job at Saints like Jaidi and Kelvin.

So if you work for a company for 6 years and they are paying you a monthly pay packet that enables you

to pay your bills, buy a car, book holidays etc....You should not move to another employer as you owe to much to your current one....lol

Apart from in your simple little world, it's not comparable at all....lol

Anyone who says all the best to any player we want to keep is not a true supporter.

LOL. Don't hate the player hate the game

Fonte would stay if.....

1) Saints paid him what Man United would

2) SFC showed ambition

3) Could match Fonte's ambition

4) Kept our better players

5) Had some continuity with managers and staff

6) Won something

Still think he'll sign it CL?

I do. I called it wrong last time, I was way too hasty.

Bottom line is not the rise but the length of contract. Jose wants longer and were only offering a raise not an extension. I wouldn't worry too much about the comments to O Jogo at all, after all... What player wouldn't say the same to the hypothetical question about playing for RM or Barca? You could apply the same logic to Man Utd I suppose though, in a way.

LOL. Don't hate the player hate the game

Fonte would stay if.....

1) Saints paid him what Man United would

2) SFC showed ambition

3) Could match Fonte's ambition

4) Kept our better players

5) Had some continuity with managers and staff

6) Won something

Glasgow. Honest question: what accounts for the recent surge in activity? It's like the halcyon days of 2013 when you we were in your pomp. Are you back love in with the beautiful game (not football, the mboard variety)? What do you make of the fact that Puel doesnt wear a tie?

Edited by shurlock

So, we offer a reported £70k a week.

Back of fag packet.....

So I guess Man Utd would have to match that if not higher, as well as a transfer fee of say £10m (I know £8m has been bandied about) for what 3 year contract, although no doubt JF would want a 4 year one. So say £80k a week for 4 years - include the transfer fee that would be the equivalent of £128k a week (as there would be no resale value). If it was £8m and £70k a week, the package would still cost £121k a week for 3 years, or £108k a week over 4 years.

I do. I called it wrong last time, I was way too hasty.

Bottom line is not the rise but the length of contract. Jose wants longer and were only offering a raise not an extension. I wouldn't worry too much about the comments to O Jogo at all, after all... What player wouldn't say the same to the hypothetical question about playing for RM or Barca? You could apply the same logic to Man Utd I suppose though, in a way.

Interesting.... who will cave first?

The clubs stance is understandable I guess, as we don't want to be paying c. £70k a week to a 35 year old whose best days will no doubt be behind him at that age.

Back of fag packet.....

So I guess Man Utd would have to match that if not higher, as well as a transfer fee of say £10m (I know £8m has been bandied about) for what 3 year contract, although no doubt JF would want a 4 year one. So say £80k a week for 4 years - include the transfer fee that would be the equivalent of £128k a week (as there would be no resale value). If it was £8m and £70k a week, the package would still cost £121k a week for 3 years, or £108k a week over 4 years.

Easiest way to look at it is that for 3 years it would be a £10m + (3 x £4m) = £22m investment for Man Utd. Regardless of when they pay the transfer fee and in what sort of instalments it'll go in the books over 3 years as a £7.3m investment. That is about 1.5% of their turnover per year. It's the equivalent of Saints buying a player for £1m and paying him 20k a week. Peanuts for them.

Glasgow. Honest question: what accounts for the recent surge in activity? It's like the halcyon days of 2013 when you we were in your pomp. Are you back love in with the beautiful game (not football, the mboard variety)? What do you make of the fact that Puel doesnt wear a tie?

He'll pipe down when things start going well. He wants us to fail, always been the case on here.

Puel saying at today's press conference that "it's a bit coincidental these rumours came out the week before we play Utd"... subtle hint there!

Trying to divert attention from the situation really isnt he....

If all was well and it was just a smokescreen, then we'd have had an interview on youtube about the Euros as soon as he was back, and he would have signed a contract when it was reported it'd been offered, he's stalling.

I really like Fonte and greatly admire what he's done on the pitch and in the dressing room.

But at some point the Club has to draw a line in the sand for its own long term well being. We've effectively failed numerous of these vital tests over the past three years and we just can't afford to fail yet another. We have to break the cycle.

Not only would we lose a player with 2-3 good years left in him, and a working dovetail with (possibly) the best central defender in the PL.

We would also, I suspect, see a significant downturn in Cedric's effectiveness. I'm sure there's a ton of in-game communication between Fonte and Cedric (who is coverage and concentration error-prone) - and I'm certain that this communication isn't in English.

And this with the season already underway and precious few potential replacements available.

It's much easier to draw that line in the sand with a player valued at 8 million and with 2-3 years of contract left. As for the "gentlemen's agreement", it would only carry weight with me if both gentlemen and their representatives acted like gentlemen. If the player's agent starts touting the player around behind the scenes, everything changes.

What is José going to do if we stand firm?

Back of fag packet.....

I think very likely we could have got £12 plus million from Everton for him so I think £8 million is very wide of the mark, can't see why the club would accept it especially from money bags Utd who've just paid an agent £25 million.

£15 million plus Rojo.

Or just Morgan.

The I'd accept it, IF he really wants to go.

I think very likely we could have got £12 plus million from Everton for him so I think £8 million is very wide of the mark, can't see why the club would accept it especially from money bags Utd who've just paid an agent £25 million.

£15 million plus Rojo.

Or just Morgan.

The I'd accept it, IF he really wants to go.

Don't see either deal happening but, if we had to lose Jose, would be fairly happy to have Rojo and ecstatic to have Morgan back.

Personal opinion is that Mourinho has got his agent (also Fonte's) to spread these rumours around as they're playing us next.

Also, Fonte is worth more right now than he ever has been AND ever will be again. It's the biggest payday his agent will ever get on the back of him if he gets a move done.

I think Fonte would probably go for it if it all comes together, but he likes it here too and he's basically on a contract until the end of his career here now. We're offering him better money for that time, want him to stay, and could keep him on the current existing contract. Fonte would have to kick up a right stink if he really wants the move (and even that might not work). My gut feeling is that he won't do that, and that he wouldn't want to do that either.

Or Fonte is angling for more money or a longer contract. Mendes asks Jose Mourinho if it's OK if he starts some rumours of united interest. Mourinho agrees as it won't cost him anything, he promises not to deny it too quickly so Saints are pressured into giving Fonte more money.

It also unsettles Saints days before they play United.

Possibly.

Or Fonte is angling for more money or a longer contract. Mendes asks Jose Mourinho if it's OK if he starts some rumours of united interest. Mourinho agrees as it won't cost him anything, he promises not to deny it too quickly so Saints are pressured into giving Fonte more money.

It also unsettles Saints days before they play United.

Possibly.

Or Manchester Utd are interested in him & he is interested in moving there.

Any 32 year old that turns down Manchester Utd to stay at a mid table Premiership club is bonkers . Particularly when they played so many years outside the top flight . He's got the opportunity to sign for one of the worlds biggest clubs , play in the champions league ( next season ) , play for a great manager who is probably his countries greates ever and earn a shed more money whilst doing so .

It's a one off oppurtunity for him , he'll never get the chance again and could regret not taking it .Its not like Mirgan or Chambers where it'll come again, this is it . In those circumstances I'd kick up a fuss and demand a move , and I'm saints through & through .

It's his RickievLambert moment and despite what happened to his career I doubt very much he regretted that move. He's sat on West Broms bench rather than ours but he gave it a shot and played at his boyhood club . It may not end up well but Jose will regret not giving it a go . Shame it's an English club rather than Bayern or Madrid , but he'd be a fool not to do everything in his power to get this move