Fonte Transfer Rumours

Master Bates

Why are people taking any notice of what Jack Schitt posted? It's not because it's negative, he just chats ****. Remember all the bull about Pellegrini? Why can't everyone see the clear WUM at play here...?

It's probably Saint Charlie. Or should I say 9-3, or is that Slugger, or Saint Richmond? Depends how he feels on the day i guess. (people who have multiple logins have mental issues)

I'm beginning to think it is me who has the mental health problems as I still routinely visit this site.

It's habit after all these years as I was an early adopter of Saintslist back on Yahoo groups.

I must say tho, the "personalities" have really detracted from the quality of the forum in the last few years.

Shame really.

You may well be right. I think the current board have given us the strongest squad I have known at Saints and they deserve credit for that and my gratitude. I never dreamed I'd be watching a team made up of so many 8-10+million pound players

This is just the consequence of being in the Premier League in this era really. Every established prem club can afford it. The main question is whether we have enough to show for the players sold and revenue gained beyond a season Europa League group stages.

This is just the consequence of being in the Premier League in this era really. Every established prem club can afford it. The main question is whether we have enough to show for the players sold and revenue gained beyond a season Europa League group stages.

I agree to a point but I do look at other teams and don't see the same quality..famously even Leicester's squad was cheaper than ours!

FFS when is improving the squad and trying to push on from a good position 'doing a pompey', he gets applauded for tripe like that?

Southampton FC is a football club, what it sells is football, that's an entertainment business. Improve the football, you improve the success and thus the worth of the business. You don't do that by selling your best players and then not re-investing. Football has not and never will be a traditional business, the whole set up is there for ONE thing and one thing only, to win football matches.

Questioning the quality of our squad, the lack of re-investment after selling key players is a perfectly rational and logical position to take, and god forbid we actually want the club to do even better, how bad of us, what terrible fans.

Seriously, this 'bed-wetter' stuff just shows a huge lack of intelligence IMO, are some of you people so sensitive that you can't deal with a little constructive criticism of the club? Someone dares to question the club and the same faces attack them without actually thinking or digesting what they actually say, says a lot about those certain posters and the worth of their contribution.

FFS when is improving the squad and trying to push on from a good position 'doing a pompey', he gets applauded for tripe like that?

Southampton FC is a football club, what it sells is football, that's an entertainment business. Improve the football, you improve the success and thus the worth of the business. You don't do that by selling your best players and then not re-investing. Football has not and never will be a traditional business, the whole set up is there for ONE thing and one thing only, to win football matches.

Questioning the quality of our squad, the lack of re-investment after selling key players is a perfectly rational and logical position to take, and god forbid we actually want the club to do even better, how bad of us, what terrible fans.

Seriously, this 'bed-wetter' stuff just shows a huge lack of intelligence IMO, are some of you people so sensitive that you can't deal with a little constructive criticism of the club? Someone dares to question the club and the same faces attack them without actually thinking or digesting what they actually say, says a lot about those certain posters and the worth of their contribution.

Here here spot on

There is no in between? Nobody is expecting us to spend 100m, but an ambitious club could surely spend what it receives? We are up £40m this summer on transfers. £25m up two summers ago.

Even before player sales we must have had a transfer budget this summer?

jcwd.gif

Did you forget to pay for Staplewood?

Did you forget to read my post? I clearly said I didn't wish for us to spend beyond our means. If the new Staplewood costs mean we can't make a net transfer spend for four years straight despite the influx of new TV money then so be it, that's the situation. However, I would find that incredibly hard to believe.

One of the best posts on here in weeks. Bravo.

If the transfer window was shut and we hadn't invested then I think it would be justified to be concerned. But, there is plenty of time yet and hopefully we will make reinforcements. There is no value in this transfer window, and I'd rather we waited to get a good deal then splash over £20 million on an average player like Everton and West Ham have done.

Very good post sir.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/14683938.Saints_optimism_over_Fonte_deal/

Saints "optimistic" Fonte will sign a new deal.

No contact from Man U or anyone else regarding a deal, let alone bids.

New deal is just a pay rise to keep him in line with other high earners at the club after the slew of new contracts. No extension beyond his remaining two years due to his age.

You say we'll have a better squad. But we will no doubt sell at least 1 probably 2 of our best players next summer

I'd be stunned if VvD is a saints next season. Then you have Forster, tadic and Bertrand

Not too late to sell at least two of them before close of window

New deal is just a pay rise to keep him in line with other high earners at the club after the slew of new contracts. No extension beyond his remaining two years due to his age.

He's definitely off then!! All we need is Les to confirm that talks are progressing well he is most likely staying a la Poch, Clyne, Asshat and Wanyama.

Unless Jose comes out and nails his flag to our mast I can't see any possible way he can play on Friday.

Just the kind of article I don't want to read.

Cue the Les Reed video interview.

Did you forget to read my post? I clearly said I didn't wish for us to spend beyond our means. If the new Staplewood costs mean we can't make a net transfer spend for four years straight despite the influx of new TV money then so be it, that's the situation. However, I would find that incredibly hard to believe.

Yes, I read your post. Did you read the accounts?

This is waht Swiss Ramble had to say about our debt:-

Southampton’s net debt increased by £23 million from £25 million to £48 million, as the £11 million rise in gross debt from £51 million to £62 million was exacerbated by the £12 million reduction in cash balances from £26 million to £14 million.

The gross debt of £62 million includes £32.7 million owed to the owner Katharina Liebherr (up from £14.7 million the previous year), a Swiss loan facility of £15 million secured on the owner’s personal estate plus a £13.9 million loan with Macquarie Bank (replacing a Vibrac loan on better terms).

This is a fairly high debt for a club of Southampton’s size, which Rogers acknowledged: “Fundamentally as a business we don’t want to be carrying that level of debt, even if the majority of it is to the owner, though it’s not actually increased as much as we thought it would do, due to good governance and various other things.”

However, the hope is that the debt has now peaked, with Rogers adding: “It’s a figure that we aim to reduce over time, but in a managed way, so it doesn’t affect the on-field success of the business.”

Edited by hutch

If there are no bids or interest why are the club only optimistic, he should be grabbing a pay rise with both hands unless he definitely wants the off and is hoping someone comes in by the end of the window.

Accepting the fact that Heisenbergs opinions and views are worth exactly what you and I pay him for them but he is absolutely free to make them (but whose deliberate acidic tone continually grates with me), my opinion is that, in the short term, Saints at best will be a 6th - 10th position club, whatever level that equates to.

We have neither the 'traditional working class' mass of potential supporters nor a large enough catchment area in order to fill a 40k+ stadium on a regular basis which is a foundation for 'historical and acquired bigness'

Don't forget SFC is a company, not a 'Saturday afternoon hobby', as such it has employees, salary and pension costs, HMRC bills, it has legal requirements, rates, rentals, etc etc and it has to generate it's own money in the best way that it can in order to continue with its existence. Get that? It has to generate money. It cannot rely on its owner to support it by putting money in to prop it up.

So far, it would appear the KL has not taken 'much' (well, not 'much' in her world, a fortune in mine), ~£2m or so, when she would be fully and legally entitled to take dividends, require loans to be repaid etc. An 'inverse' investment you could call it - leaving the money in the club.

I've had my own companies (now retired/sold) and was told very early on.... "Turnover is Vanity, Profit is Sanity, but Cash is King"

Believe me, having a strong cash position should make us supporters happy.

Personally I would be really happy to be repeating the last few seasons results in the future, with a good cup run every so often, playing attractive football. And if we do that by bringing in continued new-blood, then so be it. You will never stop a player having his head turned by a 'big' club, accept it. Bigs clubs + big money rule and no matter what we think, there are many bigger, more attractive clubs than us.

But remember, last seasons squad and results is worth exactly 0 points to us this season, so whatever it looked like then is irrelevant. As has been said before, if bigger clubs come a-poaching, SFC have been doing a good job.

SFC is here for the long term, really long term, like long after the majority of us have popped off. Given that length of time, continued good financial planning, good continued team building, we will grow to be a big club, but that takes time, (and yes) money but also a decent foundation to work with. And that's what I believe SFC are working towards, a strong, if not spectacular, growth. Think strategic vs. tactical.

So you billy-bigger-bøllocks supporters who need to spend, spend, spend to see 'proper ambition' ought perhaps reconsider what really is the best ambition to have... the Saints way or the crash-and-burn Pompey way.

Excellent post, thank you block 34. It is also worth considering that these PL riches will not last forever. At sometime in the future there will be another breakaway by the bigger clubs or the silly levels of television money will dry up as people drop their SKY subscriptions and watch matches via Internet streaming. So good financial planning now is essential, and spending loads of cash on "known" players is not a guarantee for success.

Accepting the fact that Heisenbergs opinions and views are worth exactly what you and I pay him for them but he is absolutely free to make them (but whose deliberate acidic tone continually grates with me), my opinion is that, in the short term, Saints at best will be a 6th - 10th position club, whatever level that equates to.

We have neither the 'traditional working class' mass of potential supporters nor a large enough catchment area in order to fill a 40k+ stadium on a regular basis which is a foundation for 'historical and acquired bigness'

Don't forget SFC is a company, not a 'Saturday afternoon hobby', as such it has employees, salary and pension costs, HMRC bills, it has legal requirements, rates, rentals, etc etc and it has to generate it's own money in the best way that it can in order to continue with its existence. Get that? It has to generate money. It cannot rely on its owner to support it by putting money in to prop it up.

So far, it would appear the KL has not taken 'much' (well, not 'much' in her world, a fortune in mine), ~£2m or so, when she would be fully and legally entitled to take dividends, require loans to be repaid etc. An 'inverse' investment you could call it - leaving the money in the club.

I've had my own companies (now retired/sold) and was told very early on.... "Turnover is Vanity, Profit is Sanity, but Cash is King"

Personally I would be really happy to be repeating the last few seasons results in the future, with a good cup run every so often, playing attractive football. And if we do that by bringing in continued new-blood, then so be it. You will never stop a player having his head turned by a 'big' club, accept it. Bigs clubs + big money rule and no matter what we think, there are many bigger, more attractive clubs than us.

But remember, last seasons squad and results is worth exactly 0 points to us this season, so whatever it looked like then is irrelevant. As has been said before, if bigger clubs come a-poaching, SFC have been doing a good job.

SFC is here for the long term, really long term, like long after the majority of us have popped off. Given that length of time, continued good financial planning, good continued team building, we will grow to be a big club, but that takes time, (and yes) money but also a decent foundation to work with. And that's what I believe SFC are working towards, a strong, if not spectacular, growth. Think strategic vs. tactical.

So you billy-bigger-bøllocks supporters who need to spend, spend, spend to see 'proper ambition' ought perhaps reconsider what really is the best ambition to have... the Saints way or the crash-and-burn Pompey way.

One, if not the smartest thing I've read since I've been loitering on this forum. And yet it really is so simple.

I need not add anything to this and only hope that the vast amount of people having a breakdown on here, actually take note of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If there are no bids or interest why are the club only optimistic, he should be grabbing a pay rise with both hands unless he definitely wants the off and is hoping someone comes in by the end of the window.

This has to be a joke post? Complaining that the club are 'only' optimistic is next level bedwetting. What would you have preferred them to say? Lol!

Quality post.

Very good post .

The funny thing is in modern day football you can put all these plans in place to have a structured financial future, then out of the blue an obscure royal family, some megalomaniac oligarch or even an entire country, pops up and buys the club. All those carefully laid plans are then ripped up.

The way it is going right now that is entirely possible. In fact I would be prepared to bet that within the next ten years that happens to us.

Money is coming in at the top end but there are only so many United's and City's. Then if you want a club you move to the next tier, so we are starting to see the Chinese buy teams like West Brom and even Wolves.

Traditionally a clubs stature and financial size was largely dictated by the size of city they came from. To an extent it still is. But that could change. The global nature of the game now means that benefactor could decide he wants Leicester to compete with Barcelona and some have the money to really make that happen.

For all the doom and gloom of what will happen when those guys suddenly decide to pull out of a club I don't think that has ever actually happened. Even Kat has now admitted to having the bug.

The funny thing is in modern day football you can put all these plans in place to have a structured financial future, then out of the blue an obscure royal family, some megalomaniac oligarch or even an entire country, pops up and buys the club. All those carefully laid plans are then ripped up.

The way it is going right now that is entirely possible. In fact I would be prepared to bet that within the next ten years that happens to us.

Money is coming in at the top end but there are only so many United's and City's. Then if you want a club you move to the next tier, so we are starting to see the Chinese buy teams like West Brom and even Wolves.

Traditionally a clubs stature and financial size was largely dictated by the size of city they came from. To an extent it still is. But that could change. The global nature of the game now means that benefactor could decide he wants Leicester to compete with Barcelona and some have the money to really make that happen.

For all the doom and gloom of what will happen when those guys suddenly decide to pull out of a club I don't think that has ever actually happened. Even Kat has now admitted to having the bug.

Ok, Lerner wasn't at the "compete with Barcelona" level, but I think Villa fans will be well aware of what happens when a rich owner loses interest.

Indeed. All of which means that it's almost impossible to tell the difference between a genuine ITK and a 'clever' pretend ITK...

I agree, but the person to whom I was replying said that he was show to be inaccurate.

Excellent post, thank you block 34. It is also worth considering that these PL riches will not last forever. At sometime in the future there will be another breakaway by the bigger clubs or the silly levels of television money will dry up as people drop their SKY subscriptions and watch matches via Internet streaming. So good financial planning now is essential, and spending loads of cash on "known" players is not a guarantee for success.

Why anyone still has Sky or BT now is beyond me, a Kodi firestick is around £60 and shows all football live. It maybe a short term gizmo but will wreck Sky i'm sure and hence the billions poured into football. Ignoring any moral issues one might have, why give Sky a grand a year? Let them drop their prices to a reasonable level.

Interesting training photos today still no Bertrand

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess Ryan's injury is worse than thought. When did he get this injury anyway? I recall he was injured with England but then he played for them so I assume he picked this one up in pre-season training?

This is clearly the business model we have right now. Are we stock piling cash and intend to "go for it" once we have enough cash or is this a longterm strategy that we will milk until it fails.

Problem is that for now it's working, not for the fans as much as the business.

If we continue to make a tidy profit and finish 6-17th in the premiership then happy days for Les and Kat I'd imagine?

This would be more convincing if you demonstrated any understanding of what financial statements actually tell us. Here is a link that might help you understand better:

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/search/label/Southampton

To make it simple, there is no big cash profit that can be withdrawn for the benefit of the owner. In the 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 seasons combined net cash flow has been barely positive (plus 400K pounds). However, that includes a positive cash flow from financing of 28 million pounds--net new loans. Supposedly some loans were paid off last season, but the club is not sitting on big piles or cash--much less paying them out to our owner. And before you ask for my source, I am looking at the PDF of the clubs financials which I bought off company house. You might want to do the same before you blither further.

Anyone else watch the match day uncovered video for Watford. I see Jose is in the video pre match looking very relaxed and happy with the rest of the team. Can read what you like in to it I suppose but he didn't look like someone having some sort of breakdown due to winning the euros....

Or some of your drivel? I know which i prefer

Does Batman post drivel on YouTube? That might be interesting.

There is no in between? Nobody is expecting us to spend 100m, but an ambitious club could surely spend what it receives? We are up £40m this summer on transfers. £25m up two summers ago.Even before player sales we must have had a transfer budget this summer?

That is not how it works. You might as well say that I took in $100K year as a lawyer and didn't spend any money on lawyers for myself so I must have $100K sitting around someone. And I know that it is a weak analogy, but it is good enough for the target audience.

Anyone else watch the match day uncovered video for Watford. I see Jose is in the video pre match looking very relaxed and happy with the rest of the team. Can read what you like in to it I suppose but he didn't look like someone having some sort of breakdown due to winning the euros....

"The breakdown due to winning the euros" 'ITK leak' is the message the club want to put out there just in case they get a big cash offer for Fonte. Then the fans can all blame the player and say the club sold him reluctantly. There have been similar 'ITK leaks' in the last few years criticising nearly all of our players and managers just before they have been sold.

"The breakdown due to winning the euros" 'ITK leak' is the message the club want to put out there just in case they get a big cash offer for Fonte. Then the fans can all blame the player and say the club sold him reluctantly. There have been similar 'ITK leaks' in the last few years criticising nearly all of our players and managers just before they have been sold.

Or not...

Does Batman post drivel on YouTube? That might be interesting.

That is not how it works. You might as well say that I took in $100K year as a lawyer and didn't spend any money on lawyers for myself so I must have $100K sitting around someone. And I know that it is a weak analogy, but it is good enough for the target audience.

You want a club that is run well, I respect that.

I also want our club to be run well and right now I believe it is so tick.

I would also like the club to be slightly more ambitious and take advantage of our recent success to grow and improve.

I am not seeing the evidence of this so far and feel while financially we are now better off the playing team has suffered. This is a shared opinion and was confirmed when not a single fan on here was confident enough to predict we would match or better last seasons league finish

Spend the money we have received from player sales and I would be satisfied

Hutch and Redslo, great stuff but you won't get a response as he's only trying to be a WUM, when his bluff is called he just posts something else and ignores the actual info.

I would like the team I support to be successful and potentially even win something.... Is that the definition of a "WUM" these days?

I noticed a post yesterday mentioning that Fonte was on a flight to Manchester. Normally I ignore such rumours but I have just been told the same story from someone at work who has a friend that was on the Manchester flight yesterday. Jose was on the flight too, "all suited and booted".

I noticed a post yesterday mentioning that Fonte was on a flight to Manchester. Normally I ignore such rumours but I have just been told the same story from someone at work who has a friend that was on the Manchester flight yesterday. Jose was on the flight too, "all suited and booted".

I don't believe that - why would Man Utd fly their potential new signing on a standard flight? He'd either get his own flight, or just drive him there.