Fonte Transfer Rumours

Master Bates

No, you're right, there's no younger and better CB's out there that are better than an average Fonte.

Not sure if you've ever followed Jose, but he always plays with an experienced CB, whether that be Carvalho, Terry, Lucio etc, and that's what they want. An old head.

So a younger, better and less experienced CB is what we should go, while Utd should go for the older, worse but more experienced one? Is that what you are saying?

So a younger, better and less experienced CB is what we should go, while Utd should go for the older, worse but more experienced one? Is that what you are saying?

I think people are overrating Fonte myself. Makes too many mistakes, quite immobile etc. If you don't think someone then fine. Jose wants experience which is why he'd go for Fonte. We will go for someone younger (for instance Semedo or someone of that ilk).

I think people are overrating Fonte myself. Makes too many mistakes, quite immobile etc. If you don't think someone then fine. Jose wants experience which is why he'd go for Fonte. We will go for someone younger (for instance Semedo or someone of that ilk).

WTF jeff? Too many mistakes? care to name them?

Let's not re-write history here. He's one of the best CB's in the league.

WTF jeff? Too many mistakes? care to name them?

Let's not re-write history here. He's one of the best CB's in the league.

No, no he's not, certainly not in the top 5 anyway, and would be pushing top 10. I'm not re-writing history at all. He's good enough, but overrated. He was let off a lot last season with mistakes that weren't punished, especially at the beginning of the season.

Man, this s(h)ite has declined. Jack Schitt's explanation, that Jose is on cloud nine and his agent is exploiting it and his success - is perfectly plausible,yet he is abused for posting it.

What is wrong with you lot ???

Truth hurts mate and negativity of any kind is denied on here - its been that way for years

Its easier for people to believe Fonte is Saints through and through and would never be persuaded to leave our warm cosy bubble

Fonte is the same as every footballer - motivated by money. He proved that when he dropped down a division (and doubled his wages) to join us from Palace

I am glad someone finally had the courage to point this out to Alpine.

Alpine, Jack Schit is full of schit. Once you have been shown up for being full of schit, "cry wolf" comes to mind. I in fact think that this time what he says, although probably highly embellished, is plausible and I previously mentioned that Jorges Mendes most likely sees Man Utd as being somewhat more important than little old Southampton. AR10 saying it is potentially libellous, well, I would have to disagree with that as nothing defamatory was written. He (presuming AR10 is a he) might disagree with it and it might well be wrong, as who really knows what goes on behind closed doors, but being wrong and being defamatory aren't the same thing. Carrying on with the clichés, no smoke without fire comes to mind. OK, with transfers there actually is a lot of smoke without fire, but it tends not to go on for this long.

I assumed AR10 was making a joke. When has JS been show to be full of S--as opposed to being wrong when circumstances changed?

I actually agree with Alpine. It is perfectly plausible.

Unfortunately, it doesn't fit with other posters ideals so will be shouted down as bulls bit as it isn't what they want to hear. If I had a taste of success, I can honestly say that I would want more. Nothing wrong in that. I think we all need to accept that footballers are people too and have the same urges, feelings and emotions as the rest of us. Ignore that the players are currently part of our club, try a little empathy and think how you yourselves would react. Honestly, when did we, as Saints fans and SWF users become so damned precious *generalisation for the sake of my point, in no way am I saying the whole fan base are to be categorised in the same way*

I also agree with Alpine. On the other hand, I would hope that Fonte would be more sensible about this--which does not mean that he shouldn't push for an overpaid transfer to Manchester United if one is on offer. He is of an age where the club needs to be prepared to replace him in the starting lineup at any time. There is no guarantee that a fully motivated and fully healthy Fonte will be good enough to start for us by the end of this season.

Why are people taking any notice of what Jack Schitt posted? It's not because it's negative, he just chats ****. Remember all the bull about Pellegrini? Why can't everyone see the clear WUM at play here...?

It's probably Saint Charlie. Or should I say 9-3, or is that Slugger, or Saint Richmond? Depends how he feels on the day i guess. (people who have multiple logins have mental issues)

What did he say that was false about Pellegrini? Do you know for a fact that the club was not seriously considering him?

I like this line of thought. If there was a younger and better CB, do you not think that Man Utd would be wanting to buy him instead?

You think so, but it often doesn't work that way. Also, they have already bought their younger CB and probably don't want two of them at once.

Jeff, there is the point that you raise about mobility which isn't getting any more mobile, I'll give you that. But not sure he makes a huge amount of mistakes and he and VVD make a great partnership.

I think people tend to forget mistakes that don't result in goals though, and that's where we need to concentrate (without the short backpasses etc)...

Agree with this, he does make some howlers folks and has been ridiculed on here for them. Don't get me wrong, he's been a big part of our recent history but for me he is an average cb.

I think the panic if he left would not be.missing his abilities but rather not having an adequate replacement in place and a bit late in the day to find one.

Agree with some of the comments here - Fonte can be quite error prone and his recovery pace is only going to decline further. We're going to need to think about replacing him sooner or later, but it doesn't really sound like the club have got a succession plan in place, so probably best not to lose him now with only two weeks of the window remaining.

What did he say that was false about Pellegrini? Do you know for a fact that the club was not seriously considering him?

Indeed. All of which means that it's almost impossible to tell the difference between a genuine ITK and a 'clever' pretend ITK...

United actually looked very good with the Bailly and Blind at CB yesterday - nice mix of pace, power and intelligent reading of the game. Plus they have Smalling to come back into that who was decent enough last year - they may well want Jose but I'm not really sure I believe they do.

Could be wrong and he'll be gone tomorrow, but I feel it is probably just agent trying to ramp up the last pay packet for Jose from us.

Straight swap for Phil Jones. He's been disappointing at a big club, exactly the sort to come here start regularly and have a career resurgence like Bertrand.
yep would be good but I cant see that happening. We dont seem to do swaps, we like to take the money and then try and find someone cheaper elsewhere. Great when it works

I expect Fonte would be interested if United do want him. It wouldn't surprise me to see him go. All that stuff about him being in some sort of victoriois trance that we hope he will snap out of is clearly utter b*locks though. That's not refusing to believe what someone has posted because it's negative, it's using common sense and realising that's not how human beings behave.

The club RARELY leak info these days.

Absolutely NO WAY would the club leak that sort of info by text message even if that was true, which by the way I don't believe,

that just wouldn't in a million years ever happen.

As far as the Captaincy, the club want another player as captain (it should be obvious who that is without me naming him) and that isn't

going down well with Fonte although Fonte does have a good relationship with the player, it wasn't like the player was "muscling" in on Fonte's parade,

because they both get on extremely well.

It's just the club have other ideas and this goes back to last year when Ronald Koeman was in charge, hence Koemans many public media comments

about the possibility Fonte would not be extended due to his "age"..which was a smokescreen excuse.

I don't believe it is anything to do with Fonte's mental state like what is being claimed by Mr Schitt and even if it were true that would not be leaked by

the club, the only reason I can think of that the club would want that out in existence, would be to stifle any Manchester United interest.

But even then, that is a very extreme way to do it and potentially damaging for Jose Fonte himself and given the level of respect both Fonte

and the club hold for each other I cannot see that being the case.

Im gonna try to put this in context. One I am confident Fonte will be staying. Anyone thats knows about Cricket will remember when we beat the Aussies for the first time for 24 years. I have read countless books about it. A lot of the players heads were f u c k e d by the sheer enormity of what they had achieved. They may be paid enormous amounts of money but they have been playing intensive sport since the age of about 12 and to finally reach that pinnacle is brain scrambling. Fonte at this time must be in the same position. He has gone from League One to Euro Champion in 5 years. The intensity will be enormous. I can only compare it to one of us winning 20m in the lottery. It would be brilliant but I think if we would be honest it would be a massive head f u cu k. Give the guy a break. He will be our Manager one day.

Absolutely NO WAY would the club leak that sort of info by text message even if that was true, which by the way I don't believe,

As far as the Captaincy, the club want another player as captain (it should be obvious who that is without me naming him) and that isn't

going down well with Fonte although Fonte does have a good relationship with the player, it wasn't like the player was "muscling" in on Fonte's parade,

It's just the club have other ideas and this goes back to last year when Ronald Koeman was in charge, hence Koemans many public media comments

about the possibility Fonte would not be extended due to his "age"..which was a smokescreen excuse.

I don't believe it is anything to do with Fonte's mental state like what is being claimed by Mr Schitt and even if it were true that would not be leaked by

the club, the only reason I can think of that the club would want that out in existence, would be to stifle any Manchester United interest.

But even then, that is a very extreme way to do it and potentially damaging for Jose Fonte himself and given the level of respect both Fonte

Must be Van Dijk. Can't think of another person who would suit a leadership role. Captaincy isn't just given to long standing persons of good repute.

I don’t think you can underestimate the effect of winning the Euros and spending time with a successful Portugal squad. Bear in mind that while Fonte was away winning the Euros, SFC were losing Koeman and staff, selling Vic, Mane and Pelle and doing very little to show Fonte they were going to have a real go at this season and/or Europe.

A mixture of underwhelming (SFC) and euphoria (Portugal) would be like a salesmen going on a world tour for 6 months and then returning to your mundane job where some of the best colleagues have left and matching prior year targets almost impossible.

He spent time winning with winners and that can be contagious - he will also be looking at his CB partner (Pepe) and thinking WTF!

Wages

Fonte 40-50k per week

Pepe £120k per week

Medals

Fonte = Football League Trophy: 2010

Pepe = Intercontinental Cup: 2004, Primeira Liga: 2005–06, 2006–07, Taça de Portugal: 2005–06, Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira: 2004, 2006, UEFA Champions League: 2013–14, 2015–16, FIFA Club World Cup: 2014, La Liga: 2007–08, 2011–12, Copa del Rey: 2010–11, 2013–14, Supercopa de España: 2008, 2012

Not sure why we would make VVD captain when Fonte is still a current 1st team player.

He wants to stay...club wants him to stay (apparently)....fans want him to stay = strip him of the captaincy ???????? how the fookin hell does that work out ?

Seems to me like we are trying to force him out thinking we can cash in before he is too old

Presumably JWP. Not sure why he wasn't captain on Saturday if this is the case.

I don’t think you can underestimate the effect of winning the Euros and spending time with a successful Portugal squad. Bear in mind that while Fonte was away winning the Euros, SFC were losing Koeman and staff, selling Vic, Mane and Pelle and doing very little to show Fonte they were going to have a real go at this season and/or Europe.

A mixture of underwhelming (SFC) and euphoria (Portugal) would be like a salesmen going on a world tour for 6 months and then returning to your mundane job where some of the best colleagues have left and matching prior year targets almost impossible.

He spent time winning with winners and that can be contagious - he will also be looking at his CB partner (Pepe) and thinking WTF!

Wages

Fonte 40-50k per week

Pepe £120k per week

Medals

Fonte = Football League Trophy: 2010

Pepe = Intercontinental Cup: 2004, Primeira Liga: 2005–06, 2006–07, Taça de Portugal: 2005–06, Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira: 2004, 2006, UEFA Champions League: 2013–14, 2015–16, FIFA Club World Cup: 2014, La Liga: 2007–08, 2011–12, Copa del Rey: 2010–11, 2013–14, Supercopa de España: 2008, 2012

interesting that you don't write "we were losing"

Virgil Capt for me

VvD will be captain one day but you don't strip your current captain of the armband when they are well liked and still in the first team, especially when he's just come back with a euro medal. This story rings about as much truth as Jack Schitts one.

Interesting if there is a move to replace him as captain.

Is there something lacking in his leadership?

Perhaps the other candidate is simply considered a better option? Or perhaps their signing a new deal was linked to being made captain..? (Assuming of course the candidate is one of the recent re-signs).

fair spot. Davis isn't guaranteed a starting place though, seems strange to give the captaincy to someone who has to hand the band over every second game.

Davis will start virtually every game when fit. For me, he's one of the automatic choices, along with Forster, Bertrand, VVD, Long and Fonte (??!!).

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

In the last 3 years.

Lambert

Chambers

Clyne

Shaw

Morgan

Wanyama

Lovren

Mane

Pelle

Lallana - captain

Fonte (maybe) - captain

Throw in, puncheon, cork, gaston, boruc

Toby was here and was a huge hit but only on loan.

Pochettino and his team

Ronald Koeman and his team

Have all left for various reason. Completely and totally unprecedented in this league

So it continues......