Fonte Transfer Rumours

Master Bates

Seen a few stories of our "gentleman agreement" to let him go under certain conditions. Surely if he wanted it this should have been stipulated in his contract. If it hasn't been I'd suggest we tell him to stick it out here. No real benefit to selling him without someone of high enough quality to replace him and for the money quoted for him it's a joke. Unfortunately for him I think he needs to be this years step too far.

Seen a few stories of our "gentleman agreement" to let him go under certain conditions. Surely if he wanted it this should have been stipulated in his contract. If it hasn't been I'd suggest we tell him to stick it out here. No real benefit to selling him without someone of high enough quality to replace him and for the money quoted for him it's a joke. Unfortunately for him I think he needs to be this years step too far.

That's not good for the side..don't you remember that we were educated in this in the "meltdowns" of Mane, Wanyama,Morgan etc. leaving... there is no point in keeping someone who doesn't want to be here..we are better off letting him go. Hard enough someone unhappy who is team member but the captain?

That's not good for the side..don't you remember that we were educated in this in the "meltdowns" of Mane, Wanyama,Morgan etc. leaving... there is no point in keeping someone who doesn't want to be here..we are better off letting him go. Hard enough someone unhappy who is team member but the captain?

For all the gnashing of teeth over those 3 Mane still managed some immense games last season, Schniederlin had arguably his best season after having a hissy fit and even Wanyama played alright last season (Arsenal at home a particular strength).

As a club we need to somehow find a way of convincing these sorts of players to stay (to some extent the contract extensions seem to suggest this is happening) and kick us on rather than getting pillaged every single time we have a decent season. It's sad to feel that the extensions are a profit maker as opposed to real team building (perhaps that's just my take rather than a general view).

Ok

For all the gnashing of teeth over those 3 Mane still managed some immense games last season, Schniederlin had arguably his best season after having a hissy fit and even Wanyama played alright last season (Arsenal at home a particular strength).

As a club we need to somehow find a way of convincing these sorts of players to stay (to some extent the contract extensions seem to suggest this is happening) and kick us on rather than getting pillaged every single time we have a decent season. It's sad to feel that the extensions are a profit maker as opposed to real team building (perhaps that's just my take rather than a general view).

The only way we can do that is to have a summer keeping our best players and bringing in extra quality to build a team to challenge for something..how can we expect Fonte to stay when all his decent team mates from over the years are playing in teams that will compete for titles and cups every season? If they were still here, he would stay but the club always sells them on..why should he have to always be part of a "development" side? Hasn't he earned this?

The problem with this one is Fonte can't stay one more year like Wanyama or Morgan as he is at the tail end of his career so this is now or never.

It's our policy ..buy, develop, sell.

Can anyone really blame Fonte for wanting to leave?

At United he would get more money, more fans, more history, more ambition, better players, more medals.

He'd be an absolute idiot if he didn't want to leave us for them.

If he goes I wish him well and thank him for his long service and contribution.

He'd go from playing every game game here as captain to sitting on their bench. Doubt he'd get much more money as he'd be one of their lower earners and one of our highest.

That's what's annoys me too, these extensions are nothing more then protecting profit. As if Forster and VVD will be here for the next 6 years.

Unfortunately I doubt we could give JWP away.

so what do you want the club to do? Not get players to sign extensions?

Edited by doddisalegend

He'd go from playing every game game here as captain to sitting on their bench. Doubt he'd get much more money as he'd be one of their lower earners and one of our highest.

he wont be sitting on anyones bench. otherwise, we would not be bothered about him leaving.

He will start plenty of games for any club above us (from last season)

He is better than Lovren, Chambers, Holding, Mertesaker, Mangala, Blind, phil f-ing jones, Cahill, Sakho, Klaven.

Spurs are about the only team he would not get in the 1st 11. but they wont want him

Edited by Batman

Best we get a decent replacement in a bit smartish then, the thought of Yoshida as a regular isn't particularly encouraging.

Very disappointed if this happens, more so in Jose than the club really.

Maybe we're trying to get a replacement sorted before he goes, so the price doesn't suddenly sky rocket if they know we're desperate and have fontes transfer fee

Shame it has to end like this. If it's man utd, fine. If it's everton then he's just chasing money and the club are daft to entertain it.

Thought he was rich enough and happy being here as our captain. Huge blow when your captain wants out. Hope we try and replace him, Yoshida is a nice guy but fills me with dread when starting. Can we just clone VVD?

Can't even think of any CB signings.

Especially for the £12m max we will pay ��

At this stage of the window, and assuming this is true, I can't believe we'd let him go without and appropriate replacement. And whoever we buy from will be in the same boat.

Surely Jorge Mendes has some decent CB clients just tell him Fonte can go if he can source us a better CB for less than 12 million :D

At this stage of the window, and assuming this is true, I can't believe we'd let him go without and appropriate replacement. And whoever we buy from will be in the same boat.

It's the Southampton way mate. A 12M return on a 1M investment is great business by anyones standards. He's not that good anyway (always been 2nd behind Jos, Lovren and VVD) I'd drive him up there myself for 12M.

Plus, the black box will find someone better.

#wemarchon

Ok

The only way we can do that is to have a summer keeping our best players and bringing in extra quality to build a team to challenge for something..how can we expect Fonte to stay when all his decent team mates from over the years are playing in teams that will compete for titles and cups every season? If they were still here, he would stay but the club always sells them on..why should he have to always be part of a "development" side? Hasn't he earned this?

The problem with this one is Fonte can't stay one more year like Wanyama or Morgan as he is at the tail end of his career so this is now or never.

It's our policy ..buy, develop, sell.

How we can expect him to stay is simple, he signed his deal, loyalty goes both ways. We all knew we'd sell some of the first team again this year, if he didn't fancy that he was under no obligation to re-sign. If he'd have not played for Portugal like in the rest of the tournament would the likes of Utd have been after him? I doubt it myself. As for the gentleman so agreement do you honestly believe he expected to be making a move to a massive club like Utd last summer was a possibility?

He's on a massive amount of money and we are in no position to sell him at the moment. Surely for any business that's the bottom line. Selling him makes us significantly worse.

Yoshida had an excellent game yesterday, except for the horrendous back pass. Did you see his last ditch block on Deeney late in the piece which would have been 2-1 Hornets? As for Fonte, post 637 Delmary sums it up well; if he is keen to go for the last glittering pay day let him - he has served the Club well and an 8 million pound fee would be good business at this stage of his career.

And we go and spend 4 million and pocket the rest!

If it's true that we're holding firm then that's good news.

Fonte can either accept the club's decision and focus on the football or throw his toys out of the pram and ruin his reputation amongst our fans.

The ball is in our court though. If Man Utd want him that badly then they can pay for it, £20M would do.

so what do you want the club to do? Not get players to sign extensions?

Nope but they should stop making such a song and dance about them like they mean anything. I'd rather Les come out and say "he's signed an extension so at least if he goes next year we'll get a decent amount for him".

Nope but they should stop making such a song and dance about them like they mean anything. I'd rather Les come out and say "he's signed an extension so at least if he goes next year we'll get a decent amount for him".

Song and dance?

Normally it's just a Twitter post and article on the OS. Hardly an open top bus parade.

Let him go , showing signs of age last season, he wants a last pay day but I don't think he will do well away from St Marys which will be sad but his choice. If he was "made" to stay his performance would not be quite as good as before and as he is already "on the edge" ( like Terry) it will be bad for us and him !

Based on an assumption that he does actually want to leave "for a big clu" then let him go. I've stated previously this summer that he will not get better, he might sustain his level for one or maybe two seasons at a push I would suspect, mainly based on a mental relaxation I think he might suffer from after winning the Euros. We need to replace him within the next 12 months in time for next season at the very latest so we may as well do it now. Reuben Samedo was linked and although I know little about him he appears to be rated and clearly fits our recruitment profile. Get it done Les! Thanks for the last 7 years Jose...#wemarchon.....without you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

personally i think winning the Euros has changed Fonte's outlook and ambition. He has had a taste of the glory of a major trophy and desperately wants more but realises that this will not happen at Saints.

Can't really blame him but it is a real kick in the teeth for us fans who have to stick with the club regardless of ambitions!!

Let him go , showing signs of age last season, he wants a last pay day but I don't think he will do well away from St Marys which will be sad but his choice. If he was "made" to stay his performance would not be quite as good as before and as he already "on the edge" ( like Terry) it will be bad for us and him !

I tend to agree . If it was earlier in the summer if defo say get rid . Like it or not , we're going to face the same thing with VvD next summer . He can not continue to perform at the level he has done and not attract serious attention from big clubs . If we make Jose stay for one for year we're faced with potentially losing both centre halves next summer . IF and its a bloody big if , we can get a younger replacement in then VvD can take on the Jose roll of organising the back 4 ,with any replacement learning his trade from him . Ive no doubt VvD will be on his bike next summer and we don't want to be looking for 2 centre halves.

We've heard all about black boxes and tracking players and back up plans for all eventualities , nows the time to back up all this talk . They must have someone on the radar to replace Jose or Yoshida ,they just may need to act a bit sooner than they thought and get them in now .

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

They do mean something. Why is that a difficult concept to understand?

with this news about Fonte, I have readjusted my opinion on contract renewals.

even with a 3rd summer with a profit in the market, bigger sponsorship deal and incredible TV money

signing your own players is kind of ambitious for us when we lose so many

Any news on that signing we were supposed to have had by last Thursday?

On a more serious note. If Fonte wants to go then I don't hold it against him. He has been a fantastic player for us and served us proud. He is nearing the end of his career and having won the EUROS I am sure he wants to test himself at the top level and win a domestic piece of silverware before it is all over.

People have said bad remarks about him and that he should leave etc. What has happened to our fan base? Our clubs board policy has been to buy then sell. It is short term planning. It lacks ambition. SO when someone wants to take advantage of the policy we have how is that their fault? If we had kept our squads together and added to it maybe we would have been competing ourselves. But we didn't and we wont be. I don't blame him for one second. He has done fantastic for us.

I've gone back over what I've said on here so far and nowhere have I ever said that.

I said I was expecting 2 more signings, 1 of which has involved a lot of back and forth

between player and club and is not quite over the line yet.

I personally didn't put any timescale on either.

I've gone back over what I've said on here so far and nowhere have I ever said that.

I said I was expecting 2 more signings, 1 of which has involved a lot of back and forth

between player and club and is not quite over the line yet.

I personally didn't put any timescale on either.

Another post saying absolutely nothing...

Time to put up or shut up pal

I'd like to see your reaction if the club did that. Mental.

personally i think winning the Euros has changed Fonte's outlook and ambition. He has had a taste of the glory of a major trophy and desperately wants more but realises that this will not happen at Saints.

Can't really blame him but it is a real kick in the teeth for us fans who have to stick with the club regardless of ambitions!!

The one and only reason Fonte has stayed at saints for 7 years is that until now he hasn't had a better offer. it really isnt that difficult to understand. Obviously thats my opinion but its fairly clear if we get an offer we buckle and take the cash.

As far as i have been told is he wants to go and has been told to stay. he is sulking about it and it remains to be seen whether he will try and force his way out of the club.

I tend to agree . If it was earlier in the summer if defo say get rid . Like it or not , we're going to face the same thing with VvD next summer . He can not continue to perform at the level he has done and not attract serious attention from big clubs . If we make Jose stay for one for year we're faced with potentially losing both centre halves next summer . IF and its a bloody big if , we can get a younger replacement in then VvD can take on the Jose roll of organising the back 4 ,with any replacement learning his trade from him . Ive no doubt VvD will be on his bike next summer and we don't want to be looking for 2 centre halves.

We've heard all about black boxes and tracking players and back up plans for all eventualities , nows the time to back up all this talk . They must have someone on the radar to replace Jose or Yoshida ,they just may need to act a bit sooner than they thought and get them in now .

Alfie Jones will be a top class CB , to soon for the step sadly at this point ....but one day I can see the lad being as reliable as VVD