Fonte Transfer Rumours

Master Bates

"Originally Posted by OldNick View Post

Yesterday in the press Lovren and wife were mentioned and it said that Lovren was earning 16k per week. Considering we have been told that the players leave for massive wages (in football terms) perhaps we are not paying high wages as I had assumed he would have been on 20-30k at Liverpool

Saint86

Saint86 is offline Registered Use

We had the 14th highest wages in the league last season. From that you can take it as we are not paying massive wages.

I hope the wider fanbase take note of this."

The players are sold because the club wants to make money out of them. That's the way the business operates. Generally, if they are sold to a bigger club and get higher wages, they don't complain. But, the view that club's PR spin promotes through its ITK leaks etc that all of the players and managers who leave are selfish and greedy, would refuse to play if we tried to keep them and the club is letting them go reluctantly is at least 50% bullsh!t. Mane was sold because the club wanted the cash more than the player. Van Dijk and Forster or Bertrand will be sold for the same reason next summer, as it is club policy to cash in on 1 or 2 of our most valuable players every summer.

Yesterday in the press Lovren and wife were mentioned and it said that Lovren was earning 16k per week. Considering we have been told that the players leave for massive wages (in football terms) perhaps we are not paying high wages as I had assumed he would have been on 20-30k at Liverpool

Saint86

We had the 14th highest wages in the league last season. From that you can take it as we are not paying massive wages.

The players are sold because the club wants to make money out of them. That's the way the business operates. Generally, if they are sold to a bigger club and get higher wages, they don't complain. But, the view that club's PR spin promotes through its ITK leaks etc that all of the players and managers who leave are selfish and greedy, would refuse to play if we tried to keep them and the club is letting them go reluctantly is at least 50% bullsh!t. Mane was sold because the club wanted the cash more than the player. Van Dijk and Forster or Bertrand will be sold for the same reason next summer, as it is club policy to cash in on 1 or 2 of our most valuable players every summer.

Are you not boring yourself yet as much as you are boring everyone else?

Hmmm....not how I saw it, however easy to take it differently.

I could be totally wrong but I would expect the captain to be at first season press conference - not seen one article about him or from him.

Hope am wrong but that conference left me a bit uneasy about Fonte but it may just be lost in translation.

Saint86

Saints had a wage bill of £60m last season. If you assume the first team was only £40m of that (its probably more) then split between say 24 players thats an average of £32,000pw.

I think that was a typo or error. It said 16K when I first read the link but then later I clicked on the link by mistake and it had been changed to 65K.

I think that was a typo or error. It said 16K when I first read the link but then later I clicked on the link by mistake and it had been changed to 65K.

I saw it going from 65k per week at first to what was an error of 65k a month. It was comparing his wage to that of his missus' 'friend' - he was on €200 per week which also got changed to an obviously wrong €200 per month.

Odd this hasn't been sorted. Starting the season without caption and euros winner barely having spoken all summer. Such a shame, that's the one interview I wanted to hear. Not often you get league one to winning an international tournament in a few years.

But on the plus side if he did you'd have nothing to moan about.

The silence tells you everything. Problem is he signed a contract and therefore Saints hold all the aces. Fonte is a professional and will have to accept that loyalty works both ways. Invariably his agent will make him sign a new contract or Saints will decide to wait to the final day of the transfer window and cash in on the madness. £15 million would be hard to turn down.

The silence tells you everything. Problem is he signed a contract and therefore Saints hold all the aces. Fonte is a professional and will have to accept that loyalty works both ways. Invariably his agent will make him sign a new contract or Saints will decide to wait to the final day of the transfer window and cash in on the madness. £15 million would be hard to turn down.

Does it not get quite difficult to replace him at this later stage though?

If he wants to go, then let him go, and we bring in someone like Semedo. There is every chance that this could be the season he goes to pot, and he may know that too so wants to maximise his earning potential before that.

I'm with you on this

Unless we don't have a replacement lined up.

To get his quality I think we would have to spend more than we'll get in a sale, unless it's another player of similar age.

We could have got Williams in for £12 million.

Plus a lot of clubs seem to be looking for centre-backs, but you'd hope the club have been tracking replacements anyway considering Jose's age. If he does go then really you are looking at accelerating a replacement process we probably would have needed to do in a season or two anyway.