Fonte Transfer Rumours

Master Bates

Well I don't want him to go but we need to be looking to replace him soon anyway. People keep saying Fonte is irreplaceable and such like but he really only has a couple of good seasons left so we are going to have to get used to not having him around anyway soon enough.

True. We can get used to that next summer.

The season starts on Saturday, and we are saying we are now not too bothered about the skipper leaving?

Well I don't want him to go but we need to be looking to replace him soon anyway. People keep saying Fonte is irreplaceable and such like but he really only has a couple of good seasons left so we are going to have to get used to not having him around anyway soon enough.

Exactly. would have been better to get a third top rank CB and bed him in gradually over the season- but £10-12m for a 32 yr old will soften the pain (as long as we spend it of course).

Cant help wondering if Puel is going down like cold sick though.

Exactly this, he's important to the club as our Captain and a solid, reliable centreback, but he is not a top 4 quality player at all, last season he had a huge number of lucky escapes when he was caught short.

What a load of rubbish. Have you seen the centre halves some of the top teams have been fielding? Fonte's one of the best in the league. He'd improve any defence besides Tottenham's.

He's 32. He's not going to get better than he is. At some point we need to sort a replacement. He's just won the Euros. He will never have a better opportunity to secure a final, massive money move somewhere.

He's been a great servant and I wouldn't begrudge him that.

And if we get a chunky offer for him, given his age, do you think we'll turn it down? It'd be another Pelle situation.

If he goes that's fine. If he stays, that's fine too.

Doesn't change what he has contributed to Saints, and he should still be on the banner.

By the sounds of it we have two players left we want to sign, and we already have the funds in place to sign them. This means that we don't NEED to sell Fonte, so any offer that would be worth us losing our captain and mainstay of a solid defence would be in the territory of "record for his age" kind of deals. Anything over £15million and we'd probably sell...and would have enough to get a young replacement who can learn alongside VVD.

I can't see anyone offering that amount of money for a 32 year old centreback.

He's 32. He's not going to get better than he is. At some point we need to sort a replacement. He's just won the Euros. He will never have a better opportunity to secure a final, massive money move somewhere.

He's been a great servant and I wouldn't begrudge him that.

And if we get a chunky offer for him, given his age, do you think we'll turn it down? It'd be another Pelle situation.

If he goes that's fine. If he stays, that's fine too.

Doesn't change what he has contributed to Saints, and he should still be on the banner.

Yes. When have we sold key players this late in the transfer window? We sell players early for a reason. At this point we have always told other clubs to do one. And Pellè was very far from being a key player, even more so under Puel.

Because I think if Manchester United came in for him, we probably would let him go. I'm not talking about deadline day, we're not mental, but late - ie we'd end up signing his replacement on deadline day.

Did we not sign Alderweireld and VVD on deadline days?

Fonte probably knows he'll be lucky to have better than two more seasons at the highest level. On that basis, if the quotes are true, he is only being honest by saying if those two season could be played with a Champions' League club, he'd take the opportunity to end his career on a high. But he also recognises in that interview that Saints would have to agree to let him go. With a contract to summer 2018, Saints hold all the cards so he would only be sold for a sum that would pay for an equivalent replacement at a time when such a signing could be made. If there is such a replacement available in the market, any club interested in Fonte might as well sign the alternative who might cost them less and offer them a longer career.

I believe fans can be relaxed about this as he'll only be sold if it is in the club's best interest with a sale looking highly unlikely. Fonte has also shown in his interview that he knows full well that he might not be allowed to move and his comments indicate that he's reconciled with that.

To be honest I don't blame Fonte, I bet he's fed up of seeing players/managers leave. He's been loyal, fans need to get over it.

Loyalty by definition is turning down better offers. I can't say that I can recall any which he has turned down since joining us.

To be honest I don't blame Fonte, I bet he's fed up of seeing players/managers leave. He's been loyal, fans need to get over it.

Yep. He sees them come. He sees them go. He stays. He improves. The team improves despite the departures. He wins the Euros. And in all that time who has come in for him? Cardiff f**king City. You can see why he might want to go to a Champions League Club. Just wish he didn't tell the press. Unnecessary.

To be honest, I don't remember!

I *think* that not all deadline day signings are bad or Ill thought out

We are very capable of signing significant players on deadline day.

However we don't typically sell major players late on, and filling such a crucial gap on or around deadline day, with all the other changes we've already had, is not ideal.

We could well do without it.

Yep. He sees them come. He sees them go. He stays. He improves. The team improves despite the departures. He wins the Euros. And in all that time who has come in for him? Cardiff f**king City. You can see why he might want to go to a Champions League Club. Just wish he didn't tell the press. Unnecessary.

It may be unnecessary but tough sh*t that's the way it is and that's what sounds like has happend, for what it's worth I don't agree with him airing his dirty laundry in public especially so close to the start of the season.

Those saying they wouldn't begrudge him s move are dickhe#ds. This is a bloke who signed a new deal only 8 months ago earning more than he could ever have dreamed of when we signed him for a million quid in 2010. Because of us he first got picked for his country then because a legend in his country by winning their first major trophy. Yes he's been good for us but we've been great for

Him. Had we never signed him he would probably still be a middling championship player. I'd begrudge him a move because we'd have got to where we are without Jose Fonte, he wouldn't have got to where he is without southampton FC.

Basically if Fonte stays with us this summer, it's purely down to lack of interest from a big club.

Disagree- it doesn't like sound like he would force a move if the club didn't want to sell. If he goes, it's because it also suits the club.

As far as I know there WAS interest from Manchester United.

How far that actually went I have no idea beyond knowing that NO formal bid was received and that includes

from any other club that's ever been mentioned.

Nothing whatsoever from Everton and the £9M allegedly from Everton was mentioned in the press and

where that came from is beyond me.

As far as any new contract that's apparently been signed by Jose (Fonte), I'm not completely sure where that came from either,

but that doesn't change anything I've previously said and there is still nothing to suggest that he's leaving from what I've seen or

understand.

BUT...There will be more positive news this week re other things.

Asside from this I know just as much as everybody else about it.

How far that actually went I have no idea beyond knowing that NO formal bid was received and that includes

Nothing whatsoever from Everton and the £9M allegedly from Everton was mentioned in the press and

As far as any new contract that's apparently been signed by Jose (Fonte), I'm not completely sure where that came from either,

but that doesn't change anything I've previously said and there is still nothing to suggest that he's leaving from what I've seen or

understand.

Cheers for the update, AR-10. We shall see. Fingers crossed.

understand.

New player(s)...new contracts...both?!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers for the update, AR-10. We shall see. Fingers crossed.

New player(s)...new contracts...both?!!

Have I missed something but when did we decide AR10 was ITK? As far as I can tell he just turned up a couple of weeks ago, said something vague about Tadic getting a new deal and that's about it.

Have I missed something but when did we decide AR10 was ITK? As far as I can tell he just turned up a couple of weeks ago, said something vague about Tadic getting a new deal and that's about it.

We are currently assessing his ITK credentials after Guan said to give him a chance to prove if he's legit or another Jack Schitt.

#ITK_Watch

I think I can claim to be the first to use the phrase bedwetters on here. Boy it's needed. Firstly as I have said it was Betrands birthday last week. Clubs Twitter wished him a happy one. He has a slight injury. Fonte signed a contract in November. He is taking his coaching badges with Kelvin. He has been quoted as saying he would be happy if Saints was his last club. As part of our 5 year plan he is being groomed as a future manager. We are tying up one of our new elongated contracts with a further pay rise and a promise of a coaching position ala Kelvin when he does retire. He played today. Where is the " something is happening with Fonte" coming from ? I also expect two attacking players in at the end of this week or the start of the next.

understand.

Thanks Jack

I think I can claim to be the first to use the phrase bedwetters on here. Boy it's needed. Firstly as I have said it was Betrands birthday last week. Clubs Twitter wished him a happy one. He has a slight injury. Fonte signed a contract in November. He is taking his coaching badges with Kelvin. He has been quoted as saying he would be happy if Saints was his last club. As part of our 5 year plan he is being groomed as a future manager. We are tying up one of our new elongated contracts with a further pay rise and a promise of a coaching position ala Kelvin when he does retire. He played today. Where is the " something is happening with Fonte" coming from ? I also expect two attacking players in at the end of this week or the start of the next.

Guess so but Lallana said he'd give an arm to stay with us I swear or something along those lines lol :/ words mean nothing, as do contracts :(

Have you read the quotes attributed to Fonte?

interviews never translate well if given to a foreign paper/journalist etc, we know that from experience.

Or even UK jounalists. I remember watching full press conferences with Koeman last season then seeing his quotes or the manner he said things completely twisted in the papers. I wouldn't believe anything you read in the papers tbh.

As far as I can see, we don't have to sell him no matter who happens to make a bid for him. He is still under contract, and unless he goes on strike .... he stays, unless the board have somebody lined up and want to cash in oh him in the same way they did with SRL and Pelle.

He's worth more to the team than cash at this moment in time. His transfer value will reduce substantially but we aren't exactly strapped for cash transfer wise surely?

In credit last 2 years and again this year on transfer deals, and that is even before you take into account the massive increase in TV Cash Cow revenue.

Or even UK jounalists. I remember watching full press conferences with Koeman last season then seeing his quotes or the manner he said things completely twisted in the papers. I wouldn't believe anything you read in the papers tbh.

Quotes like he would honour his contract? Dirty lying judas greedy b@stard.

Quotes like he would honour his contract? Dirty lying judas greedy b@stard.

I tend to believe that the board weren't bothered about him staying, and that if they'd wanted him to see out his contract he would have stayed. I'm not itk, but I remember one of the resident ones suggesting that, and given our record on replacing managers it seems plausible to me.