Fonte Transfer Rumours

Master Bates

From what I hear, he is off.

Appy has read a few footie gossip columns and claims he is in the Know. Puel has said he is not going to Adam Blackmore of Radio Solent ( one of the only sports news outlets I trust) and FROM WHAT I HEAR the rumours originated from the fact

that there were Man Utd officials at the game yesterday. Hardly surprising as we are playing them Friday.

Yoshida is simply not good enough at this level. Who could we bring in to replace Fonte at this stage? No one good enough in my opinion. I'm a bit concerned now; our squad on 1 September is going to be significantly weaker than last year. I am happy to give Puel time; he is getting unfair stick because he's not a big name and not much of a character. Fonte is such a presence on and off the pitch, worrying times.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

As for all the business experts. You don't win trophies for being the most profitable transfer club every season. We've racked in enough money this summer, selling Fonte would be ridiculous for business reasons.

Turks that is the most amusing post for a long time. What happened to the 'In Les we trust.' and Ralph knows what he is doing lol

I do agree what you put though, it is about time we as fans stopped accepting that we are happy to take mid table and actually go out to win something. I want to watch us win something with my daughters and grand daughter, not them seeing having to accept 'over achieving by finishing 8th.' nonsense. The only way to get long term fans is to get them enthused by supporting a club that wins things, not producing players for other clubs to win things.

Mid table is fine if you win a cup of course.

Appy has read a few footie gossip columns and claims he is in the Know. Puel has said he is not going to Adam Blackmore of Radio Solent ( one of the only sports news outlets I trust) and FROM WHAT I HEAR the rumours originated from the fact

that there were Man Utd officials at the game yesterday. Hardly surprising as we are playing them Friday.

If that's what you want to believe that's great for you, for what it's worth its not from a gossip column at all.

L

We lost Koeman and Big Vic due to lack of ambition....

Now Fonte wants out too for same reasons

I personally do not blame him. Fonte simply wants to win things, not battle it out for mid table nothingness

I don't blame him either. The happy clappers have pointed out that we are a stepping stone club and its part of the reason we are successful. In fact they suggest it's a selling point for buying players and that players try harder as they are out to prove they are premier standard and so can move to Liverpool.

Why would this not be the same for Fonte? He has worked hard and now if he has the chance to step up, he should be allowed the same opportunity.

This would be the straw that breaks the camels back for me. Fine we've sold a lot of players and improved but this is one step too far. Especially after the dross I saw on that pitch yesterday.

I agree. Selling Clyne, Wanyama, Mane and Pelle was bad but cashing in on Fonte would be terrible. Where is all the money going???

And that sums up exactly what's wrong with Yoshida. He can be great for 89 minutes but pretty much every time he plays he makes a sloppy mistake that gifts the opposition a chance. It's happened every season he's been here so it's something that isn't going to go away I'm afraid. It's a shame as he seems like a good guy who likes it here but he really shouldn't be even our third choice these days.

As for all the business experts. You don't win trophies for being the most profitable transfer club every season. We've racked in enough money this summer, selling Fonte would be ridiculous for business reasons.

Right on both counts, and the choice of the word ridiculous is the crux for me, there would be no logic in terms of finance, stability or morale. Fonte has been a genuine captain and leader for us since Lallana walked out, and if he has concerns the board and new management team should perhaps be listening to him. He was sorely missed yesterday and will leave a huge hole if he is sold regardless of who comes in, it would be a truly ridiculous decision.

We lost Koeman and Big Vic due to lack of ambition....

Now Fonte wants out too for same reasons

I personally do not blame him. Fonte simply wants to win things, not battle it out for mid table nothingness

Utter b u l l s h it we were going to to sack Koeman back in January when we had that bad run. He upset players , his days were numbered. I liked Vic but he could be a liability getting sent off, poor passing.

Interesting comment from Alan Curbishly last night on the Lower Division highlights programme in relation to Forrestieri, the Sheff Weds forward, who refuses to play for Weds after apparently being tapped up by another club.

The Sheff Weds owner and his manager says the player is contracted and is going nowhere.

Curbishly reckons (and was supported by, Gary Megson another well travelled manager who was on the programme) that there is generally only one winner in such dispute ie the player, ably supported by his agent, the latter looking for an additional pay day)

Saints may want to keep Fonte but if another club has offered more money/longer term deal that Saints don't feel is worth their while to match, then Jose is offski.

it is no point hanging on to a disgruntled player even though a contract should be a contract

IMHO I'm guessing that (as he was Koeman's Capt.) He's pretty tight with Ronnie and assuming they speak out of work then I can imagine Ron dripping to him about "they didn't really put themselves out to keep me after all I did for them" blah blah, and maybe he's lost his motivation as a consequence. Sure footballers are pretty delicate soles and maybe he's ****ed that his "favorate" gaffer was let go too easily for his liking????

Can anyone really blame Fonte for wanting to leave?

At United he would get more money, more fans, more history, more ambition, better players, more medals.

He'd be an absolute idiot if he didn't want to leave us for them.

If he goes I wish him well and thank him for his long service and contribution.

Or a reporter at my work.

Unless he works for Radio Solent or Saints he knows nothing. The Echo for example lifts articles from sites like these or other papers. Thats why The Echo starts many of their articles with "The Echo believes.."

Can anyone really blame Fonte for wanting to leave?

At United he would get more money, more fans, more history, more ambition, better players, more medals.

He'd be an absolute idiot if he didn't want to leave us for them.

If he goes I wish him well and thank him for his long service and contribution.

sarcastic-applause-smiley-emoticon.gif

Unless he works for Radio Solent or Saints he knows nothing. The Echo for example lifts articles from sites like these or other papers. Thats why The Echo starts many of their articles with "The Echo believes.."

Only passing on what I was told like this thread http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?51639-Sadio-Mane-Signs-4-Year-Deal-Official#.V7CI0VR4WnM

Don't be so touchy.

Not to mention that as Guan suggested that the club is more watertight than it was a couple of seasons ago. Only a couple of reporters will get this sort of info, and no offence but I doubt Appys source is one of them.

There is clearly something going on, but we are in no position to sell and there is no concrete bids (yet)

Saints maybe watertight but his agent and clubs interested in signing him won't be

Originally Posted by Georgie View Post

Sounds to me he doesn't like the new system and doesn't think Puel is a good appointment.

He has decided all that in just over a week? More likely as one poster said earlier he doesn't think that the squad has been strengthened.

Oh, ok. So it's nothing to do with more money, or Man Utd enquiring, or 'one last golden pay day' or such like. It's because the squad and manager isn't to his liking so he's throwing a strop and wants to leave.

Can't have it both ways, so which is it?

The pull of a big club or a hissy strop?

(if the latter, he can fück right off and train with the 8yr olds for two years)

My opinion, he'd prefer Porto or similar, but Man Utd would be a good place to end your career, more money being a bonus. Would certainly turn my head. (yes, we won the 2016 Euros and then I went to play for Man Utd! Yes, truly! Man Utd ffs, can you believe it? Me at Man Utd!??)

SFC will always be a middling team, the draw of the top 4/5, irrespective of European football or not, will always pull players away and we should simply stop bleating about it and look for the 'next one in' instead.

And on that note.... who/where should we look to to replace Fonte?

As far as I am aware , I can say there WAS interest from Manchester United, but nothing whatsoever from Everton,

which I did say last week.

If there were Manchester United "staff" (in any capacity) at the game with Watford yesterday, I'd be inclined to say that

was more to do with Fridays game more than anything specifically Jose Fonte related.

But, based on what I know about the situation, which is limited, as nobody is really saying anything... I wouldn't say it was entirely impossible.

That being said, the entire thing could just be a game from Mourinho.

From what I understand the situation with Fonte is described as "difficult", but I'm led to believe that is nothing to do with any transfer

speculation as such but more to do with first team squad setup, without getting into any details.

I can't say any more than that.

The club want Jose to stay and so do the fans and from a personal viewpoint I think Jose does aswell.

Any news on that signing we were supposed to have had by last Thursday?

On a more serious note. If Fonte wants to go then I don't hold it against him. He has been a fantastic player for us and served us proud. He is nearing the end of his career and having won the EUROS I am sure he wants to test himself at the top level and win a domestic piece of silverware before it is all over.

People have said bad remarks about him and that he should leave etc. What has happened to our fan base? Our clubs board policy has been to buy then sell. It is short term planning. It lacks ambition. SO when someone wants to take advantage of the policy we have how is that their fault? If we had kept our squads together and added to it maybe we would have been competing ourselves. But we didn't and we wont be. I don't blame him for one second. He has done fantastic for us.

Truthfully, I think he was very proud to play for his country. That's the way the Portuguese are, unlike their England counterparts. Sitting on the bench was not for him, running out onto the pitch at the outset, anthem etc was for him. IMO, if he goes to Utd, he will NEVERTHELESS run on the pitch for Portugal again he will be lost in amongst the rest as Lambert was for England. FOnte should note, same age, glory club etc does not equal glory, more obscurity. I repeat Schniedelin sat on the bench enough not to get a game for France.

One good reason for him staying here (not that I think he will leave anyway) is he is taking his coaching badges with Kelvin and is potentially being groomed to be our manager in the future. He even mentioned it in an interview. Google it yourselves.

I thought VVD had signed for 5 years? I know contracts are meaningless these days, so why bloody bother with them except oh yes, a greedy club can cash in as well so, it works both ways. Trouble with Saints is as someone else said they lack ambition over cash. I have to agree, especially in latter years. It's all been how much we can grab back and haven't spent much of it improving the team.

Having said that, players who went to Liverpool havent done well for either England or their own team. Millions spent for a mediocre team last season.

Someone in the pub said yesterday that he has written into his contract that if a club come in with a better offer then he has the choice of whether to take up that offer. If that's true then i guess he's gone and i guess all the other players who just signed extensions have similar clauses.

********, so someone could offer us a quid and him more money and we'd have to accept?

I thought VVD had signed for 5 years? I know contracts are meaningless these days, so why bloody bother with them except oh yes, a greedy club can cash in as well so, it works both ways. Trouble with Saints is as someone else said they lack ambition over cash. I have to agree, especially in latter years. It's all been how much we can grab back and haven't spent much of it improving the team.

Having said that, players who went to Liverpool havent done well for either England or their own team. Millions spent for a mediocre team last season.

VVD signed for six years (http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/20160507-virgil-van-dijk-new-contract-announcement-southampton-3099615.aspx) which means he'll be 31 by the time his contract expires, if we wanted to be spiteful and hold him to it, but we all know contracts aren't worth much, and in a year or 2 we'll be looking to cash in on him. That's just how we do business. He could well be our record sale too. I'd love it if we kept him for his career but as we've seen from the last few years that won't happen.

As for Fonte, I really hope, and personally I reckon, he'll stay put. Yes he wants the big move and play in the Champions League, but at his age it would be unlikely. Even if he moves, it's unlikely he'll be first choice, and that would jeopardise his Portugal place. He can be a legend with us if he stays, he's already well on his way to that status. Irrespective I'm looking forward to September so all this speculation can end. Maybe it's wishful thinking for a player that's been through so much with us to show a bit of loyalty at the tail end of his career....

One thing I will say, even if this whole 'Fonte leaving' thing hadn't come up, is that we need to think about replacing him anyway because of his age. IF he goes, that just speeds up the process to find a new first choice centre back to partner VVD. Yoshida, Gardos, Jones, Turnbull McCarthy and Stephens are all back up players, I wouldn't (yet) have faith in any of them being our number one centre back, maybe in a couple of years one of the youngsters might surprise us, but really we need to be looking at a new first choice centre back, whatever happens with Fonte.

Truthfully, I think he was very proud to play for his country. That's the way the Portuguese are, unlike their England counterparts. Sitting on the bench was not for him, running out onto the pitch at the outset, anthem etc was for him. IMO, if he goes to Utd, he will NEVERTHELESS run on the pitch for Portugal again he will be lost in amongst the rest as Lambert was for England. FOnte should note, same age, glory club etc does not equal glory, more obscurity. I repeat Schniedelin sat on the bench enough not to get a game for France.

I think to suggest England players are not proud to represent their country is wrong, they're just not very good at it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fonte wants to go but at the moment, Saints are not entertaining it. Believe what you want but that's a fact.

We all know how it's going to end up.

It is sounding that way. The lack of SFC media coverage around him winning the Euro Champ says a lot. Twitter rumours (I know, I know) that he has also lost the captaincy, maybe that is what AR10 aluded to earlier around the first team set up.

********, so someone could offer us a quid and him more money and we'd have to accept?

Well of course not, we would have something in the contract stating we'd have to get an offer we view as adequate. Do you really think an agent would allow his client to sign a 6 year contract with no way of getting him out of it.

I know you'll say we could just turn around and say anything under £100 million is inadequate but that's why these contracts take so long to sort out, the player, club and leeches all have to be happy.