Transfer Deadline Day Thread

Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

Woke up feeling very very confident for today. That optimism that Reed was just messing with us all summer is slowly subsiding and I'm starting to consider that Reed genuinely thinks we have enough to kick on from last season.... Scary (but hey ho Reed must know better than me right!?)

Woke up feeling very very confident for today. That optimism that Reed was just messing with us all summer is slowly subsiding and I'm starting to consider that Reed genuinely thinks we have enough to kick on from last season.... Scary (but hey ho Reed must know better than me right!?)

Most of us do to be fair, but hey ho

he already said that we the best midfield options in the country and we know we have the next thierry henry upfront

stop moaning

Once we had signed boufal so late, I didn't think we would sign anyone else. This will be a transitional season, as I expect it to be a while before our players get use to Puel's system. He is obviously happy with the strikers we have (I'm not, if the club want to continue to qualify for Europe on a regular basis via the league position.

We do have good players but others have a lot to prove whether they can step up or get back form after injury.

I believe he has proven that over recent seasons and has delivered year on year improvement.

Sorry, what am I saying! It hasn't been Reed at all, think the consensus is that it's either been luck, MP, RK etc...

Seems there are a number of posters on this forum who are more looking forward to the opportunity to say they were right and he was wrong than actually watching the games and supporting the club!

The pessimism of this forum every transfer window astounds me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overall I'm fairly satisfied with the squad we have, it's only the tactics I'm concerned about.

We've got a decent squad but I'd say we do look very light up top. We are also a couple of injuries away from fielding a pretty weak side for a club with ambitions of finishing in the top half.

I was very happy with our last two summer transfer windows. This one has not delivered to the same level. The CM position does look much weaker.

The centre midfield and forward for me especially if sticking with diamond can't see where goals will come from.

That's a shame re Simonpeach I'm sure the club were doing their best to sign a player or 2. As a buying club we do not pay obscene money . Yes there are those who say splash the cash but that is not the way to do business , look how many clubs have been sold duds or trouble makers . I don't blame the club one iota . Still I'm laughing at Everton. Keep the faith we are Southampton

I was very happy with our last two summer transfer windows. This one has not delivered to the same level. The CM position does look much weaker.

Can't agree there, Hojbjerg looks excellent so far. I think with more experience Rom can cover the physical side of Wanyama's game, without spending 1/3 of the season having an early bath, suspended or generally not being a*sed to play.

I can see why some aren't convinced but 'much weaker' is an overstatement.

@SimonPeach

Sounds like #SaintsFC's #deadlineday will continue to be quiet. Understand #EFC target Cuco Martina is staying, as is Jay Rodriguez

Underwhelming transfer window. I think not replacing Wanyama is going to the biggest mistake of the lot. Romeu isn't that shield in front of the defence.

We've got a decent squad but I'd say we do look very light up top. We are also a couple of injuries away from fielding a pretty weak side for a club with ambitions of finishing in the top half.

If Austin and JR are starting to look vaguely fit, I think we are okay. With Boufal, Redmond, Long and Tadic that's 6 pretty decent options. It's a big 'if' but there are goals in this squad.

Mané and Pelle were good for 20-25 goals a season, combined. I'd like to think we can get something similar from the players we have now. 6 each from Austin, JRod, Boufal and Redmond should cover it.

We are still short of a proven goalscorer, too heavily dependent on midfield, and don't have the muscle in the middle to protect the back four. For me, it's a poor window thus far, when we should be reinvesting and stepping up to take on the prospect of Europe. Milan away makes me very scared

The centre midfield and forward for me especially if sticking with diamond can't see where goals will come from.

A little sobering to think that with Boufal taking a couple of weeks to get up to speed and then going off to the AFCON in January, we are largely going to go through the season with the same team as started the first three games of the season. Unless there is improvement I can't see that side anywhere near the top half to be frank.

Hojbjerg is better than Wanyama

But, he doesn't play in the same role. Wanyama was the team's midfield 'enforcer' who would break up opposition attacking moves well before they reached our penalty area. You could rely on him to close down opposition attacks when we needed to hold on to a lead. Hojbjerg doesn't do that even though he is clearly a talented footballer. We now have a physically very small team which can easily be outmuscled and shoved aside and really need another Wanyama.

I do hope that our squad is strong enough to keep us away from the bottom of the table and our new manager makes sure that his tactics suit the squad.

Still I suppose we should be pretty well minted, in comparison to other clubs, when it comes to the January window.

If we don't get any first team quality in this has been a poor poor window. A minimum of an extra 6 games this season in Europe and we are no where near as strong as the team we had last year. Will be lucky to finish top half this year once puel exhausts the diamond which clearly doesn't suit the current clientele at the club. Very unoptimistic about this season, was our chance to push on this year with the increased tv revenue.

But, he doesn't play in the same role. Wanyama was the team's midfield 'enforcer' who would break up opposition attacking moves well before they reached our penalty area. You could rely on him to close down opposition attacks when we needed to hold on to a lead. Hojbjerg doesn't do that even though he is clearly a talented footballer. We now have a physically very small team which can easily be outmuscled and shoved aside and really need another Wanyama.

Agreed - Romeu is the Vic replacement and hasn't really got going yet this year.

We hope you are right but the concensus on here was we should wait until the window shuts before venturing an opinion on the window. My opinion therefore now is Wanyama, Mane and Pelle have been replaced by potentially good players ( I agree with you) but as things stand we would have been stronger had we held onto the 3 departees. And we now have 6 additional Europa games to navigate with a squad not as good and no matter how "hopeful" you are that is a tad disappointing with money in the kitty.

But isn't that how things have been for the last few seasons? And has been pointed out many times, players like Wanyama and Mane flat out did not want to stay. Hopefully, the new players will work out as well as people like Mane, VVD etc. I hope we do sign someone else but time is running out!

I do hope that our squad is strong enough to keep us away from the bottom of the table and our new manager makes sure that his tactics suit the squad.

Still I suppose we should be pretty well minted, in comparison to other clubs, when it comes to the January window.

Out of Europe by then though, we have missed a good opportunity with a comparatively underwhelming window.

Seriously concerned with our lack of defensive cover, I shudder to think what would happen if we lose Virgil. I do feel the club has regressed at a time we should have been pushing on.

A serious injury to VVD, Fonte or Hojberg would really test us. We'd be unlucky to lose such a key player in the long term but it happened before when we lost Michael Svensson and look what happened then...

Seriously concerned with our lack of defensive cover, I shudder to think what would happen if we lose Virgil. I do feel the club has regressed at a time we should have been pushing on.

I agree. Regressed on the pitch and on the touchline.

Mid-table probably the best we can expect, but after being a League 1 side in the not too distant past, it's not a bad thing.

If we don't get any first team quality in this has been a poor poor window. A minimum of an extra 6 games this season in Europe and we are no where near as strong as the team we had last year. Will be lucky to finish top half this year once puel exhausts the diamond which clearly doesn't suit the current clientele at the club. Very unoptimistic about this season, was our chance to push on this year with the increased tv revenue.

Blessed is he that expects nothing for he shall never be disappointed....

Sadly, I will be. I only see 2 extra games this year. I see two strikers capable of 30+ goals per season who hardly appeared last year. And I see a manager trying to introduce another formation (not an exclusive one ) primarily to deal with those lower table sides who pack behind the ball and frustrate our attempts of the past two seasons.

We'll both be there cheering them on....