Transfer Deadline Day Thread

Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

What's premature? To give a verdict of the summer transfer window at the end of the window?

Yes, in a way. We've bought more players than we've sold, so it's partly about giving them time. The only departure I'm almost certain hasn't been replaced with the same quality is Wanyama.

So breaking our own transfer fee record isn't ambition? If not, what is?

Ambition would of been improving last years squad however we now have a much weaker squad really doesn't make much sense

Biggest opportunity we've ever had to encroach the top 6 on a regular basis

Yes, in a way. We've bought more players than we've sold, so it's partly about giving them time. The only departure I'm almost certain hasn't been replaced with the same quality is Wanyama.

Pelle surely. Despite all the moaning he guaranteed goals every season. He hasn't been replaced...yet...

Ambition would of been improving last years squad however we now have a much weaker squad really doesn't make much sense

Biggest opportunity we've ever had to encroach the top 6 on a regular basis

'much weaker squad' - how do you define that exactly? We were going out in the market and buying a ready made mane, so if you were expecting that then ok...we're a lot weaker, but I don't think many people were.

Who isn't giving anyone time by offering an opinion about the summer transfer window when it closes? Its a forum message board for opinions. It's not writing players off, it's giving an assessment of the transfer window.

Seems people now consider Pelle and Juanmi to have been the greatest strikers we've ever had. Then Vic who was not in the right frame of mind for 3 or 4 games and banned for 9. Plus people thinking Boufal isn't going to be any where near Mane - bit premature isn't it?

As always, most recent page is full of people just bickering. Can anyone sum things up for me with a simple yes or no: do we appear to be in the market for a player in the next few hours or not?

No, it doesn't appear that we are.

Seems people now consider Pelle and Juanmi to have been the greatest strikers we've ever had. Then Vic who was not in the right frame of mind for 3 or 4 games and banned for 9. Plus people thinking Boufal isn't going to be any where near Mane - bit premature isn't it?

We hope you are right but the concensus on here was we should wait until the window shuts before venturing an opinion on the window. My opinion therefore now is Wanyama, Mane and Pelle have been replaced by potentially good players ( I agree with you) but as things stand we would have been stronger had we held onto the 3 departees. And we now have 6 additional Europa games to navigate with a squad not as good and no matter how "hopeful" you are that is a tad disappointing with money in the kitty.

We hope you are right but the concensus on here was we should wait until the window shuts before venturing an opinion on the window. My opinion therefore now is Wanyama, Mane and Pelle have been replaced by potentially good players ( I agree with you) but as things stand we would have been stronger had we held onto the 3 departees. And we now have 6 additional Europa games to navigate with a squad not as good and no matter how "hopeful" you are that is a tad disappointing with money in the kitty.

Hard to disagree with this really.

Well we don't actually know if we would have been stronger had we held on to the 3 departees. That's what the rest of the season is for. Also doesn't taken into the account if we kept all 3 they'd have been seriously ****ed off. The recruitment team seem happy and they've earnt my trust, so that's good enough for me. We'll see how it goes. Everyone knows finishing 6th is going to be difficult. It was last season and argubaly the end of last season papered over some cracks that were threw up over Xmas. We'll see what happens, I'm excited. Hoijberg looks good, better than Vic, Pelle wasn't in the side at the end of last season isn't a massive loss, and Boufal cost us double what Mane did so the recruitment team must see something in him and he comes highly regarded.

As for the squad and extra games...I think people should trust in Puel and why he's been bought in. Remember his experience is good with young players. I can see some of them getting used and they already look closer to the first team than they ever did under Koeman. I'm excited by that.

I hope you're right that we will have six extra Europa games, but at the moment we only have two more.

Good point, though I guess the club want to cash in on the profit whilst they can.

How many times do we hear statements like that. Indicative of the priority of the Board. Just hop it is not a false economy and that we don't get dumped out the Premier League.

'much weaker squad' - how do you define that exactly? We were going out in the market and buying a ready made mane, so if you were expecting that then ok...we're a lot weaker, but I don't think many people were.

Because that's my opinion that's how I define weaker ok

Amazing how the same posters who were on Wanyama's back moaning and *****ing about his lack of mobility and shoddy passing, and on Pelle's back about him being rubbish, and comparing Mane to Ali Dia, now sign their praises at every opportunutu they get and are already on the backs of Boufal (who hasn't kicked a ball, but according to them will barely feature this year), Austin (who has not been given a chance to get a run in the team), J Rod (who is returning from an injury nightmare 2 years) and Redmond (who according to them is obviously **** becuase he couldn't get into Norwich's team [sic]).

Have some ****ing patience!

I guess last season was as good as it will get; I guess success has gone to the board's head just like it did under Lowe. Well I will never forget that run-in. Was fun while it lasted.

Alpine, where do you think we will finish. I know people accuse me of all sorts of things but we cannot take survival in the league for granted or am I being too pessimistic ?

Amazing how the same posters who were on Wanyama's back moaning and *****ing about his lack of mobility and shoddy passing, and on Pelle's back about him being rubbish, and comparing Mane to Ali Dia, now sign their praises at every opportunutu they get and are already on the backs of Boufal (who hasn't kicked a ball, but according to them will barely feature this year), Austin (who has not been given a chance to get a run in the team), J Rod (who is returning from an injury nightmare 2 years) and Redmond (who according to them is obviously **** becuase he couldn't get into Norwich's team [sic]).

Have some ****ing patience!

Which posters? Name them.

Just a dumb observation but we don't have much size / force in our midfield and attack...we were top scorers from headed goals last season - I don't see that happening again. We can cross the ball into the area but am not convinced Long/Austin/J-Rod are going to get their head to the ball first like Pelle did. So I would have gone for a low cost impact substitute striker who can steal a goal from long balls pumped into the area when we need to go direct.

And I'm surprised we haven't made an all-out assault to get Schneiderlin back...he's third choice now at Manure...would be top of the list with us

Sorry I actually rate Enner Valencia, and think he would be good for us. With supply from Bouffal and Tadic, he is mobile enough to get on the end of most stuff.

And I can't bear the though of Rickie retiring at Cardiff for heavens sake. Bring him back as player/coach! Tell Puel he is Ricardo Lambertini, a new Italian prodigy.

Just imagine the crying when he takes 6 months to get to grips with the league like Mane!

Just a dumb observation but we don't have much size / force in our midfield and attack...we were top scorers from headed goals last season - I don't see that happening again. We can cross the ball into the area but am not convinced Long/Austin/J-Rod are going to get their head to the ball first like Pelle did. So I would have gone for a low cost impact substitute striker who can steal a goal from long balls pumped into the area when we need to go direct.

And I'm surprised we haven't made an all-out assault to get Schneiderlin back...he's third choice now at Manure...would be top of the list with us

Especially as we now have a French manager. Come home, Morgan, all is forgiven. Chacun a son doux.

I hope you're right that we will have six extra Europa games, but at the moment we only have two more.

I meant we have 6 games at a stage we couldn't even reach last season.

To progress in the Europa we needed to enhance our squad and it looks like we haven't done that at this stage. No good having millions in the bank.

He's going to Spurs to join Wanyama, two Wantaways reunited!

In fact we have 4 fewer games than we planned for last year, as I can't imagine that the club planned to be knocked out after playing 4 qualifying matches.