Transfer Deadline Day Thread

Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

How many times do we hear statements like that. Indicative of the priority of the Board. Just hop it is not a false economy and that we don't get dumped out the Premier League.

But surely it is only indicative of the priority of the Board if it comes from a member of the Board. If not, it is speculation and doom mongering pessimism.

Seriously concerned with our lack of defensive cover, I shudder to think what would happen if we lose Virgil. I do feel the club has regressed at a time we should have been pushing on.

Agree CB is a concern - what's the latest on Gardos?

£30m for Sissoko to Everton.

That price is simply down to his Euro's display, no one would pay that much if it was just based on his Newcastle days. Will be interesting to see how it works out.

There was only one club who were going to crack on that valuation...

That price is simply down to his Euro's display, no one would pay that much if it was just based on his Newcastle days. Will be interesting to see how it works out.

So much for Sissoko saying he wants to play CL football. I guess its a step up from Newcastle but I doubt he'll put much effort in while he waits for his CL move.

How did Newcastle eve come to that valuation? You'd have to be mental to pay that?

Overall I'm fairly satisfied with the squad we have, it's only the tactics I'm concerned about.

In what context? Happy that this squad can progress from where we finished last year or happy that it can just about keep us in the PL for one more season or just happy in a resigned sense that no further improvement will take place today?

If we are resigned now to being "we are where we are so make the best of it" then you also have to question the motives of the owner and her future commitment to this club. It would not surprise me at all to see a "For Sale" board outside SMS next spring. (incoming Exocet)

How a few weeks ago we were lauding the club for extending players contracts and now we are in wrist slitting mode because we haven't signed a) another defender b) another midfielder c) another forward!!! I was trying to remain positive but, when Stoke seem to have had a better window then us then I must admit to feeling a tad let down.

How a few weeks ago we were lauding the club for extending players contracts and now we are in wrist slitting mode because we haven't signed a) another defender b) another midfielder c) another forward!!! I was trying to remain positive but, when Stoke seem to have had a better window then us then I must admit to feeling a tad let down.

Yep.

We are in Europe and are apparently the fastest growing footballing brand in the world, but Stoke, Sunderland, Everton, etc. attract better players than us.

Yep.

We are in Europe and are apparently the fastest growing footballing brand in the world, but Stoke, Sunderland, Everton, etc. attract better players than us.

Sunderland, what?

But we have this every flaming window. #iwishwewerestoke #iwishwewerepalace #iwishwewerexxx - but we finish above them, every time. Let's just give this team some time before coming down on this ridiculous points.

Sunderland, what?

But we have this every flaming window. #iwishwewerestoke #iwishwewerepalace #iwishwewerexxx - but we finish above them, every time. Let's just give this team some time before coming down on this ridiculous points.

if we dont finish above a fair few of them, will it be unreasonable to want us to be more active in the market next summer?

In what context? Happy that this squad can progress from where we finished last year or happy that it can just about keep us in the PL for one more season or just happy in a resigned sense that no further improvement will take place today?

If we are resigned now to being "we are where we are so make the best of it" then you also have to question the motives of the owner and her future commitment to this club. It would not surprise me at all to see a "For Sale" board outside SMS next spring. (incoming Exocet)

Progression being finishing above a Utd side that just signed Mourinho, Zlatan,Mkhitarian and Pogba? Anyone hoping for that is a bit mental (not to mention we would have to stay above Chelsea and Liverpool).

I'd be happy with a decent mid table finish and a half decent European campaign, which is about what I'd expect from this squad.

if we dont finish above a fair few of them, will it be unreasonable to want us to be more active in the market next summer?

Nope, but these posts now are way too early. It's just loads of wild assumptions without knowing how said players will perform, who will get injured, etc etc etc.

I think the club know what they're doing.

we win the net spend trophy for the 3rd summer running

happy days

Surely we must be in with a shout of winning the European net spend trophy not just the premier league.

That would be a massive improvement on previous years would it not,and show true ambition this early in the season to win such an honour.

I'm just stunned that we've gone another window with Yoshida as third choice CB. Yes, I know I'll be told he's plenty good enough, but he isn't.

The thought of Yoshida and JWP at our spine is just two injuries away, and that's worrying.

Another deal that makes Mane @ £34m look a ****ing awful deal for us.

Should have waited a bit later for that one.....

but I have the feeling the club just wanted to get the major 'transfers out' done, before our new manager came in - so he had the budget to play with - maybe. But if we'd have kept him till today, it may be dicing with death a bit - we'd either get a stupid bid....or we'd be stuck with an unhappy player who will be worth a hell of a lot less next summer. The club probably had a better feel for the overall situation than any of us would have.

Why not wait to see what the league table looks like at the start of December before deciding who has had a good / bad transfer window

giphy.gif

Edit: sorry, I lost it there for a moment. Couldn't believe you just posted such a notion on the SaintsWeb Forum.... ;)

Surely we must be in with a shout of winning the European net spend trophy not just the premier league.

That would be a massive improvement on previous years would it not,and show true ambition this early in the season to win such an honour.

Juventus might do us - they got £90m for Pogba

Just like Pogba. Juve sold too early, they should have got £200m.

Don't be silly.

Since we sold Mane we've seen some pretty average players sold for almost the same amount, that's the point I'm making. In the current market, IMO, we should have got more.

Which alternative player(s) would you entice to sign for us to sit on the bench for much of the season?

Literally anyone who doesn't make a critical mistake EVERY game they play. It's not my job to find one of those, enough people at the club are paid enough for that thanks.

Should have waited a bit later for that one.....

but I have the feeling the club just wanted to get the major 'transfers out' done, before our new manager came in - so he had the budget to play with - maybe. But if we'd have kept him till today, it may be dicing with death a bit - we'd either get a stupid bid....or we'd be stuck with an unhappy player who will be worth a hell of a lot less next summer. The club probably had a better feel for the overall situation than any of us would have.

Didn't one of our financial gurus on here recently explain why we might need/want to sell early? I think the logic was that if we sell assets before the end of the financial year (i.e. 30th June) then we get to spend more on wages in the next financial year? And the more we increase our wages (within the FFP) the more, in the longer term, we can spend on players. (It seemed to make sense when I read what they posted but I can't recall the reason in depth.)

Which alternative player(s) would you entice to sign for us to sit on the bench for much of the season?

Why do they have to sit on the bench ?

Couldn't we have signed an upgrade on Fonte ? Semedo bought in? So Fonte sent off 3 games and VVD injured we have Yoshida and Stephens is that depth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Literally anyone who doesn't make a critical mistake EVERY game they play. It's not my job to find one of those, enough people at the club are paid enough for that thanks.

Exactly. There are clearly better centre backs that would be happy as part of our squad that are better than Yoshida.

Just someone better than Yoshida who is good for a howler every game would be nice.

It's not every game and even then 'howler' is an exaggeration. He under hit one back pass against Watford but was otherwise very reliable. It comes with not being a regular starter, we won't get a better player sitting on our bench. If Fonte didn't start for 2 months, then was chucked in because of injury, he would make mistakes too.

It's not every game and even then 'howler' is an exaggeration. He under hit one back pass against Watford but was otherwise very reliable. It comes with not being a regular starter, we won't get a better player sitting on our bench. If Fonte didn't start for 2 months, then was chucked in because of injury, he would make mistakes too.

Which TBF he did on Saturday.

Ok, fair enough. I asked just in case you had put some thought into possible alternatives. No worries.