Transfer Deadline Day Thread

Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

It's not every game and even then 'howler' is an exaggeration. He under hit one back pass against Watford but was otherwise very reliable. It comes with not being a regular starter, we won't get a better player sitting on our bench. If Fonte didn't start for 2 months, then was chucked in because of injury, he would make mistakes too.

If that under hit back pass wasn't a howler then what would qualify as one? Genuine question. With a less alert keeper that would have led directly to a goal.

It is, unfortunately, what happens when you sell very early in the window.

You could understand an early sell if we needed the funds to invest...but it looks like we've had our pants pulled down over this deal and we easily could have pushed for a few more million but it would have only added to the liebhers bank balance anyway.

So fair to say the general mood is we could have done better this window/expected more...we're left light for cover at DM, CB, RB and STR. RB is forgivable - Pied injury unfortunate. The rest predictable and we've had time to fix (there's still a couple of hours left...we live in hope).

Assuming no more action for us, I'd like to know your thoughts: what teams have done the best transfer business this window (not just last day)...and what teams have done the worst?

A useful ndicator of where we stand relative to our competition

Let's be honest, this window just smacks of the club not really striving to actually improve that much, just to try to replace what we've lost as adequately and prudently as possible in order to just stand still. Problem is, other clubs are actually improving on what they've got, or so it would seem which means the net effect for us will be that we are actually going to be going backwards. When you think we came 6th last year, this is pretty damn poor in my eyes. The glaring thing for me is the sheer reluctance to even attempt buy anyone of proven Premier league quality. I know people will say that these players come at too hefty a prive but whatever way you look at it, the vast majority of our signings are pure gambles, as is our manager.

So fair to say the general mood is we could have done better this window/expected more...we're left light for cover at DM, CB, RB and STR. RB is forgivable - Pied injury unfortunate. The rest predictable and we've had time to fix (there's still a couple of hours left...we live in hope).

Assuming no more action for us, I'd like to know your thoughts: what teams have done the best transfer business this window (not just last day)...and what teams have done the worst?

A useful ndicator of where we stand relative to our competition

Bournemouth have done best (relative to their income), not sure who has done worst, but it ain't Saints.

The glaring thing for me is the sheer reluctance to even attempt buy anyone of proven Premier league quality.

Whether we (the fans) like it or not, the club have made it crystal clear over the last few years that our adopted philosophy is to "breed not buy success". With the current regime in place, that is what we will continue to do. They are simply carrying out the philosophy laid down by Markus Liebherr when he bought us.

It's been a relatively successful philosophy the last few years. Maybe one day it will stop being successful. Or maybe it will continue to serve us well for the foreseeable future. Who knows. All we do know is that the only way this philosophy will change is if/when there is regime change at the club.

So, as fans, we can either go with the flow or call for regime change.

I'm currently in the 'go with the flow' camp. That may change, or it may not. Who knows...

Edited by trousers

I'm starting to wish the bloody football season had never started.....we really do have a handful (and thankfully it is only a handful) of complete and utter W**kers on this forum. Complain,complain,complain,*****,*****,*****.....if all you can do is moan and ***** about everything the club does then do us all a favour and f*ck off and support Pompey.

I couldnt have articulated it more eloquently Barcelonasaint....a vast number of over expectant

The funny thing is, people were saying the exact same things last year (we're not investing enough/not improving/not strengthening in comparison to other PL clubs.) I agree we could have spent more money this time around, but as the club has repeated again and again, that is not our philosophy. It has got us from the bottom of L1 to the Europa League, so I don't understand the reason to abandon it now.

do you know we didn't?

Not I don't know for sure but I'll guess a local lad who has chance of Europeon football and still just down the m3 from his 'new' mates would've rather come here and imo would be better rb than cedric than go all the way up to boro

What a totally underwhelming summer.

The window is still open - RELAX

Quotes from Reed; The aspiration is to compete with the best,” he said. “That’s what we want the players to buy into. We want them to believe and the next addition will be down in reception with the trophy cabinet.”

Anyone know when last time we had a squad with no loans in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's actually a really good point. We seem to be more keen to tie key players down to longer term contracts rather than bring in loanees.

The window is still open - RELAX

Quotes from Reed; The aspiration is to compete with the best,” he said. “That’s what we want the players to buy into. We want them to believe and the next addition will be down in reception with the trophy cabinet.”

whats the addition, some windowlene

That's actually a really good point. We seem to be more keen to tie key players down to longer term contracts rather than bring in loanees.

And to think in 2014 we were being told on here that loans were the way of the future, a brilliant risk-free way for a club our size to access and trial talent.

You just hit the nail on the head. Best post tonight.

Why do we net spend less than every other club in the Premiership.

We have a more demanding fixture list to cope with and with a weaker squad.

Can someone explain why this is the case.

DEAL DONE: Wolfsburg have signed Philipp Wollscheid from Stoke City. (Source: @VfL_Wolfsburg)

Best bit of business Stoke will do this window.

No. That was when then managed to offload Marc Wilson onto Boscombe. My Stoke mates were pis sing themselves that someone would pay money for the worst (stats, as well as their own eyes) player in the premier league.

Anyway, still 90 mins left, anything could happen right.

Loan for schneiderlin, sign haller, suddenly a really good window.

I think all optimism died when the club apologists changed scripts from "the window is still open" to "we breed not buy success"

I think all optimism died when the club apologists changed scripts from "the window is still open" to "we breed not buy success"
lol, our breeding stock is a tad thin at present. sadly when the young promising players are brought in, they get slated on here eg Targett and JWP

Lol. What the hell is a club apologist?

Is that some left winf fraction of the club led by Michael Wilde?