Eric Black named in Telegraph investigation

DuncanRG

Those of you who say Eric Blacks alleged antics are no reflection on the club are wrong, Southampton FC appointed him, he wears our badge and it is Southampton FC who the media and everyone else will associate him with. This is extremely embarrassing for the club and it slightly soils what has been an amazing rebirth of the club under the Liebherr era. To cap it off the skates are lapping it up, I know this can't really be compared to their wrongdoings but it still pîsses me off !!

Eric Black needs to be sacked and Saints need to make a statement to condemn his actions ASAP.

Those of you who say Eric Blacks alleged antics are no reflection on the club are wrong, Southampton FC appointed him, he wears our badge and it is Southampton FC who the media and everyone else will associate him with. This is extremely embarrassing for the club and it slightly soils what has been an amazing rebirth of the club under the Liebherr era. To cap it off the skates are lapping it up, I know this can't really be compared to their wrongdoings but it still pîsses me off !!

Eric Black needs to be sacked and Saints need to make a statement to condemn his actions ASAP.

This ^

This happened whilst he was a saints, he wears the colours, saints failed a little with due diligence on him. First coach working in the premier league. Not cool for saints

can only imagine he will 'leave by mutual consent' by the end of the day

So as this happened after he joined the club you are saying the club failed in their due diligence to predict the future? If this had happened before Black joined saints, was common knowledge, and the club still employed him then the club would be at fault but as far as I'm aware Black has never been caught doing anything like this before. What Black did was off his own back as long as the club sack him then this doesn't reflect negatively on the club at all IMO.

So as this happened after he joined the club you are saying the club failed in their due diligence to predict the future? If this had happened before Black joined saints, was common knowledge, and the club still employed him then the club would be at fault but as far as I'm aware Black has never been caught doing anything like this before. What Black did was off his own back as long as the club sack him then this doesn't reflect negatively on the club at all IMO.

I doubt erik just woke up on day in September and thought, you know what, I am going down the muddy waters of corruption.

Sam Allardyce had never been caught till the other day, nor has arry redknapp or any one else of note.

the club go on about how they prepare year(s) in adavance, do due diligence on the player/staff profile, their personality etc.

this is one that slipped through the net. This is just a sticky situation the club (im sure) believe they could do without and should have done without

I suspect to those in the game, the names that get revealed will be of no surprise

Edited by Batman

not sure that it "slightly soils" the Liebherr era, that's a bit over dramatic, but the rest is spot on.

If an investigation shows he has done wrong, he must go. We all know what rotten apples do.

Football has been rotten to the core for decades now and we all know that. Southampton have in THE PAST been no different to any other club in that respect and there have been quite a few ex Saints players that still live locally that have talked about being summoned to the managers office handed an envelope full of cash and told "you've been sold"....the envelope their little sweetner for saying nothing and accepting the move.However I fully believed that since Markus bought the club we had totally moved away from those shady dealings and SFC was seen to be a very "clean" club.Everyone at SFC will be dismayed by these revelations and I expect swift action from the club.

Radio 4 just reported that Black has denied the allegations.

Him denying the allegations is no great surprise. However, I will be more impressed when he begins legal proceedings against the Telegraph. If he isn't prepared to do so......

At the very least, Mr Black should be placed on gardening leave while the allegations are being investigated.

Not sure the clubs due diligence could have picked this up. We always moan like **** that we don't get media coverage, now we've got some.

I trust the club will speak to Black, review all the available evidence and then come to a decision.

Scott McGarvey's other clients must be ****ting themselves right now.

the kid in Charlton mentioned in the video, I think is ademola lookman, 18. I believe us as well as arse, Liverpool and maybe some others were reported to have watched him repeatedly. as for black the more I think about it the more I feel like the club may not sack him and actually give him a chance to defend himself as I don't think he says too much in the video.

Him denying the allegations is no great surprise. However, I will be more impressed when he begins legal proceedings against the Telegraph. If he isn't prepared to do so......

At the very least, Mr Black should be placed on gardening leave while the allegations are being investigated.

Taking papers on is notoriously difficult and expensive, and even if costs ar awarded you can still end up with a huge bill. So unfortunately you just have to let it go on many cases.

One thing about EB is that he wasn't seemingly trying to make money for himself.

When you read the full article, it becomes immediately apparent that he should be sacked. His 'defence' is very hastily and poorly constructed around the small bit of headline information he obviously had access to at the time, but is completely blown out of the water by the rest of the quotes. It's pretty obvious why the Telegraph wouldn't give the club more details prior to publication - Black would have just used it to try and get ahead of the story. In fact by already coming out with what he has done he just looks even more deceitful.

He should be sacked immediately, no questions, no issues, no lengthy 'suspension while an investigation takes place'. Krueger (and presumably Liebherr) wants us to be - and to be perceived to be - a club of honesty and integrity. There are no legal loopholes of any kind to jump through. Why is he even having this meeting whilst employed by the club? He will have a clause in his contract about 'any behaviour likely to bring the club into disrepute'. Regardless of whether he passes any other threshold, he has certainly done that.

Not sure the clubs due diligence could have picked this up. We always moan like **** that we don't get media coverage, now we've got some.

I trust the club will speak to Black, review all the available evidence and then come to a decision.

Scott McGarvey's other clients must be ****ting themselves right now.

I can't imagine there are too many of our fans who clamour for this type of media coverage.

Taking papers on is notoriously difficult and expensive, and even if costs ar awarded you can still end up with a huge bill. So unfortunately you just have to let it go on many cases.

One thing about EB is that he wasn't seemingly trying to make money for himself.

On the face of it he wasn't trying to make money for himself, however we don't know that. Why did he attend this meeting then ? What was his motif for the meeting? Why would he offer such advice? Why also did he allegedly offer specific names and clubs, wouldn't that be slightly odd to a total stranger?

Is this behaviour associated with someone who disassociates himself completely with such dealings?

'On the face of it' is one thing......

His position is now very tarnished in my view.

He should not have attended such a meeting.

Helping out his friend (the agent)???? No doubt one scratch of a back, will elicit another further down the line. But the industry is so awash with money, that it is hardly a surprise that this sort of thing goes on. Same as any other industry where huge amounts of money are involved - there will always be backhanders and nefarious goings on.

Ralph's statements earlier this week have really left the club no choice at all but to sack him - you can't come out with that kind of commentary on the whole corruption piece (unprompted as well, a fair amount of egg on the club's face given what has happened the next day!) and then back one of your own when he's involved, whatever he has/hasn't done.

Black is dirty enough in all this through the comments he made on camera, regardless of the fact that they don't appear to be for personal gain or related to club matters at all. He has to go

Helping out his friend (the agent)???? No doubt one scratch of a back, will elicit another further down the line. But the industry is so awash with money, that it is hardly a surprise that this sort of thing goes on. Same as any other industry where huge amounts of money are involved - there will always be backhanders and nefarious goings on.

But that doesn't make it right just because it is normal.

Our Chairman's comments clearly make it impossible for us to do anything other than sack Black. Doing anything else would be in contradiction to them.

This seems to sit in a bit of a grey area... probably not enough to sack him for breach of contract and Black doesn't have enough to sue the DT. We'll probably have to "sack" Black if you count sacking him means paying off his contract and asking him to leave.

In isolation, the recording of Black seems fairly harmless. As it's part of the DT's corruption in football investigations it's now at lot worse than it in reality is.

On the scales of football corruption Black seems to be rather on the minor side. A far as I can tell he hasn't received any money, offered to bribe anyone, been bribed himself or asked for any sort of consultation fee for his advice. What he has done looks more like stupidity than corruption. I have no doubt the club will get rid just to keep our brand whiter than white but Black is hardly in the Sepp Blatter league of corruption.

A few quotes from Ralph knocking around on Twitter - not sure the source - suggesting he has said "It's a personal issue for Eric, nothing to do with the club".

Hope that isn't the stance, even though technically true, I think we need to get rid of him and make sure we aren't associated at all

This seems to sit in a bit of a grey area... probably not enough to sack him for breach of contract and Black doesn't have enough to sue the DT. We'll probably have to "sack" Black if you count sacking him means paying off his contract and asking him to leave.

In isolation, the recording of Black seems fairly harmless. As it's part of the DT's corruption in football investigations it's now at lot worse than it in reality is.

Most contracts (at least the one's I've signed) allow for dismissal based on conduct that might bring the employer into disrepute. It could probably be challenged in the courts though so we may just settle.

A few quotes from Ralph knocking around on Twitter - not sure the source - suggesting he has said "It's a personal issue for Eric, nothing to do with the club".

Hope that isn't the stance, even though technically true, I think we need to get rid of him and make sure we aren't associated at all

The quotes are accurate http://www.espnfc.com/southampton/story/2962447/southampton-chairman-ralph-krueger-calls-eric-black-allegations-a-personal-issue-for-him.

To be honest Ralph is in the finals of the hockey world cup so no doubt he will say anything to be left alone right now. This is not his priority.

Lol at some 'new' posters coming on here to tell us how absolutely awful it is for the club. I would predict a large amount of Pompey fans will be descending on the board to try and point out their grubby little club isn't quite as bad after all, which is bolocks as they robbed charities after buying a trophy, a little bit different to finding your new translator had his hand in the till at another employer.

Black hasn't been at Southampton for more than a few months, yes the media line will be to connect us with him in soundbites, because it sounds better than upsetting other more 'popular' clubs.

In truth, Black will be out the door whether its by a firing or 'mutual consent' and ironically we may have to pay the bastard off if there is not enough proof, but we cant be connected to him any longer even if just allegations, our club doesn't operate this way and publicly we should be thanking the telegraph for letting us know the meeting took place. Ralph has done absolutely nothing wrong by his statement but needs to take some action as a priority not wait until we are told what to do.

Edited by Mallagroth

Makes you wonder who's next on the Telegraph's list, they've been drip feeding different people all week, started with Allardyce to whet everyones appetite, then slowly moving up the food chain, with Championship assitants, then a well known manager, then a premier league assistant, wonder what the Saturday and Sunday papers will bring, can imagine there are going to be some pretty big, household names about to come out.

Makes you wonder who's next on the Telegraph's list, they've been drip feeding different people all week, started with Allardyce to whet everyones appetite, then slowly moving up the food chain, with Championship assitants, then a well known manager, then a premier league assistant, wonder what the Saturday and Sunday papers will bring, can imagine there are going to be some pretty big, household names about to come out.

If Wenger was a name mentioned a lot of Arsenals bizzare transfer policy over the years would make sense, but in reality its probably just that they are **** in the market.

Lol at some 'new' posters coming on here to tell us how absolutely awful it is for the club. I would predict a large amount of Pompey fans will be descending on the board to try and point out their grubby little club isn't quite as bad after all, which is bolocks as they robbed charities after buying a trophy, a little bit different to finding your new translator had his hand in the till at another employer.

Black hasn't been at Southampton for more than a few months, yes the media line will be to connect us with him in soundbites, because it sounds better than upsetting other more 'popular' clubs.

In truth, Black will be out the door whether its by a firing or 'mutual consent' and ironically we may have to pay the bastard off if there is not enough proof, but we cant be connected to him any longer even if just allegations, our club doesn't operate this way and publicly we should be thanking the telegraph for letting us know the meeting took place. Ralph has done absolutely nothing wrong by his statement but needs to take some action as a priority not wait until we are told what to do.

The quoted date is September 2nd 2016.... of course it's going to be connected to us.

The quoted date is September 2nd 2016.... of course it's going to be connected to us.

Yes well we can hardly pretend he isn't an employee, my point is that any attempts to connect the club with any wrongdoing is rubbish. If he had been here a long while doing dodgy **** then fair enough. This simply doesn't rub off on the club as long as it's handled immediately, no matter how much others out there may want it to do so. Let's not get over dramatic about it. It's annoying but that's it.

there's a list of supposed names to come doing the rounds on Twitter, some pretty unsurprising names on there if it is true