Arsenal EFL Cup - Match Thread

St Chalet

I'm all for rotation as we are in a lot of competitions this season but playing McQueen up front is very risky imo. Puel will be a genius if Sam scores though.

On a plus side though, Puel has obviously done his homework on all of our players as he obviously knows Sam has played up top before.

I know this isn't in tune with the general sentiment after the team news, and I agree it's a weakened team, but given so many need rotating, is Van Dijk capable of playing EVERY game? He's one player we could really do with not burning out or getting injured, so I'm surprised (not because of his ability) he isn't rested once in a while.

No doubt the same people would be complaining that Austin's dodgy knee was playing up again, and that we were using him in too many games.

Not the people who want us to win the league cup.

There will also be the "same people" who, if Forster or VVD does he knee in tonight will be going full on SEE SEE WE SHOULD HAVE PLAYED AN EVEN WEAKER SIDE SEE SEE.

Same people, eh?

Hahahahahahahahahahaha, this forum is funny.

You all knew it would be a rotated team, why are you all moaning?

We need to prove that we can score goals without Austin. A decent challenge for the team.

Why experiment with a cup semi at stake? If Long get injured there is no forward to replace him! Crap team selection. This is a serious game in a winnable tournament, yet the manager takes the supporters as idiots. 3000+ saints fans on a freezing night in London for a no doubt "interesting" fixture. The manager has no concept of what real supporters want

Seriously, cup semi or Palace away? Oh, palace away. Bell end

We need to prove that we can score goals without Austin. A decent challenge for the team.

Exactly!! Long and our record signing up front with MCqueen, who has been excellent, playing in his natural role. Reed playing to give Romeu a rest alongside two international midfielders, and 3 of our regular back 5 and people moan like the world is about to end.

Ffs, some of you lot are proper Divas

Could somebody explain to me how a starting 11 including Forster, Bertrand, VVD, Yoshida, Long, Davis, and Clasie, together with our club record signing, is viewed a being such a 'weakened' line up ?

I understand their collective scoring record might be a concern, but they are hardly inexperienced teenagers.

Just because we know Puel is a bit of a clown doesn't mean we should be delighted when he acts like one

Don't quite understand where all the moaning is coming from to be honest.

First choice keeper

First choice LB

First choice CB

Third choice CB who's been as good if not better than Fonte in the games he's played in Europe

Second choice RB as Cedric's only just returned from injury and put in a massive shift three days ago

Young DM who everybody keeps crying needs more game time, and Romeu has played a ridiculous number of games this season - at some point he will get injured or suspended, Claude will want to have a look at our other DM options

Most expensive and exciting player in Boufal who has shown flashes of what he can do against a weak/young side that will give him time and space

McQueen was a left-sided winger before a LB and has played LB/DM/CM/LW/ST before, he's shown what he can do and he's not likely to get minutes at LB with Bertrand back

Yes I'm disappointed about the lack of strikers, but Austin can't play every game and Shane needs a goal - if he can't get one against that back four then I'll be concerned.

I'm a little surprised Sims isn't starting after his great debut on Sunday but again, he put in a big shift and he's only young. Can see him coming on for the last half an hour.

Should be a decent game, I think we stand a good chance against that side. I'd be fuming if I were an Arsenal fan.

I know this isn't in tune with the general sentiment after the team news, and I agree it's a weakened team, but given so many need rotating, is Van Dijk capable of playing EVERY game? He's one player we could really do with not burning out or getting injured, so I'm surprised (not because of his ability) he isn't rested once in a while.

Hopefully this is part and parcel of the physical monster thing - not just him being big, quick and good in the air.

I guess he might start getting rested in the league past Jan and definitely a few games over the Christmas period.

That's Arsenal reserves. Our first team would have beaten them. We've got no recognised right back in starting the lineup, no goal scorer up front and we haven't even got Austin and Fonte on the bench. We have won 1 trophy in our entire history so a semi-final place would be massive for us. Why can't Puel see that? I guess he doesn't realize just how much winning the League Cup would mean to the fans. If we lose tonight, fans are going to be very p!ssed off with Puel and his obsession with rotations, which basically means fielding weaker teams than necessary.

eh?

First choice keeper

First choice LB

First choice CB

Third choice CB who's been as good if not better than Fonte in the games he's played in Europe

Second choice RB as Cedric's only just returned from injury and put in a massive shift three days ago

Young DM who everybody keeps crying needs more game time, and Romeu has played a ridiculous number of games this season - at some point he will get injured or suspended, Claude will want to have a look at our other DM options

Most expensive and exciting player in Boufal who has shown flashes of what he can do against a weak/young side that will give him time and space

McQueen was a left-sided winger before a LB and has played LB/DM/CM/LW/ST before, he's shown what he can do and he's not likely to get minutes at LB with Bertrand back

Yes I'm disappointed about the lack of strikers, but Austin can't play every game and Shane needs a goal - if he can't get one against that back four then I'll be concerned.

I'm a little surprised Sims isn't starting after his great debut on Sunday but again, he put in a big shift and he's only young. Can see him coming on for the last half an hour.

Should be a decent game, I think we stand a good chance against that side. I'd be fuming if I were an Arsenal fan.

Agreed, lineup looks just fine. Those complaining are just setting up their later trolling attempts.

They'll post:

If we win: glad we won, we were a bit lucky etc. Need to play 1st team in semi

If we lose: seee seee, I TOLD YOU I TOLD YOU ETC

This way, the trolls can't lose. It's so painfully obvious and quite frankly, pathetic.

Edited by OttawaSaint
fixed word order

First choice keeper

First choice LB

First choice CB

You do know that this forum is not the place for such sensible and even headed comments......it just won't do don't you know:lol:

Agreed, lineup looks just fine. Those complaining are just setting up their later trolling attempts.

They'll post:

This way, the trolls can't lose. It's so painfully obvious and quite frankly, pathetic.

you forgot the inevitable "papering over the cracks"...

Only this season though before that he was a winger/forward wasn't he?

Correct. In an experimental role at the back he's been brilliant. Personally I'm delighted to see him given a go in a more natural role. I'm hoping he gives us real versatility in the squad.

They'll post:

Is it just this forum or every football forum - but if you're passionate and want your team to win = Troll

But if you're content, happy to to have a club and generally a bit wet = Real Fan

A game there for the taking and he puts out a team like that. FFS.

I give up on football.

Bye...

So is McQueen is playing up front tonight?

It would seem so.

Nothing says going for it like a rookie full back up front.

If we win, great. But that line up doesn't really deserve to. Let's hope to they are hungry and bound to improve.

McQueen's natural/usual position is left-wing. He was only converted to full back this summer. Prior to Puel coming in he had always played LW/LM.

It's not even the kids/back up-ness of it all but that's just a side that have never played together ever before.

Nor had the eleven that beat Everton on Sunday.

That's Arsenal reserves. Our first team would have beaten them. We've got no recognised right back in starting the lineup, no goal scorer up front and we haven't even got Austin and Fonte on the bench. We have won 1 trophy in our entire history so a semi-final place would be massive for us. Why can't Puel see that? I guess he doesn't realize just how much winning the League Cup would mean to the fans. If we lose tonight, fans are going to be very p!ssed off with Puel and his obsession with rotations, which basically means fielding weaker teams than necessary.

Whether rate him or not, Martina has played 30 times for Saints - all at right-back. I'd say that makes him a recognised right-back.

Oh, and we have won 2 trophies..... probably not in your life-time though.......

I can totally understand the rotation. Cedric just came back from injury, Romeu has played more games than any other outfield player, Austin looked knackered after 75 minutes last saturday and Redmond was poor last time out and i think needs the break.

This.

The starting 11 consists of 9 full internationals plus Reed (who many have been banging on about being given a chance to shine) and McQueen (who has put in many excellent performances of late).

It could be better, admittedly, but not too shoddy. It was always obvious there were going to be a fair few changes for tonight, and obvious to anyone with half a footballing brain who would be rested. (That said, I would have preferred to have seen a slightly stronger bench.)

Is it just this forum or every football forum - but if you're passionate and want your team to win = Troll

But if you're content, happy to to have a club and generally a bit wet = Real Fan

What should you be called if, before EVERY match, you post what can be easily construed as thinly veiled snipes at the manager and/or board ?

Could somebody explain to me how a starting 11 including Forster, Bertrand, VVD, Yoshida, Long, Davis, and Clasie, together with our club record signing, is viewed a being such a 'weakened' line up ?

I understand their collective scoring record might be a concern, but they are hardly inexperienced teenagers.

That's pretty much my view. If anything you could argue VVD needs a rest, but he's been playing within himself so perhaps that's OK. I'd certainly agree on rotating Rom and Austin who are vital players for us. What happens if they are injured and we have no choice in the matter: this way we have players who've a bit of match practice. Tadic is injured so you can't complain there, Jrod is out of form and may come on. For penalties we've JWP to come on if necessary. Many of you are behaving as if this hasn't been thought about and that the physio team haven't had a say in the matter as well.

Not saints related - but United appear to have put out their best team against West Ham - that could turn into a cricket score.

JM desperately wants a trophy, and given how crap they are (by their usual standards) in the league I am not surprised he's going all out to win this cup. I wish we would do the same.

Apologists say we've put out a strong team tonight, and if we can't win against Arsenal reserves we don't deserve to go through. Totally ignoring that a "strong" team may give you a 60% chance, but the strongest team may give you 80% chance.

It's deja vu all over again, just like Poch's team against Sunderland in the FA cup.

Where's Martina playing then??