Arsenal EFL Cup - Match Thread

St Chalet

Arsenal's second 11 is still far stronger than ours. Looks like Davis and Boufal may start. But if we line up with Stuart Taylor, Martina, Ward Prowse and Yoshida then I'll be expecting a similarly **** perfornance to last thursdays. Come on Claude, forget Saturday, this is a massive opportunity!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Arsenal's second 11 is still far stronger than ours. Looks like Davis and Boufal may start. But if we line up with Stuart Taylor, Martina, Ward Prowse and Yoshida then I'll be expecting a similarly **** perfornance to last thursdays. Come on Claude, forget Saturday, this is a massive opportunity!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Yoshida and JWP have been good this season and are not weak links at all.

But JWP won't start. It'll be Clasie and Davis, probably with Boufal and Reed.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

If coming from south (Waterloo, central London etc) I would get off before then at Highbury & Islington. It's only a short walk from there with much better pubs in the area, plus you don't even need to touch the Piccadilly line. From Waterloo take Bakerloo line northbound, change at Oxford Circus walk through short tunnel onto Victoria line. Very easy journey. For the midweek game last year a lot of Saints fans parked at Richmond and got the London overground direct from there to Highbury & Islington, another good option.

I do the route from North London to Southampton for every home game, getting the Bakerloo to Oxford Circus, then the Viccy line to Highbury is by far and away the quickest route.

You're even more clueless than I thought if you think there isn't much between them.

They're being asked to do different jobs. The fact Martina is getting picked to play away games in Europe clearly means the manager thinks he's better suited to the task at hand, or Cedric would be doing it, with Martina playing the league games.

They're being asked to do different jobs. The fact Martina is getting picked to play away games in Europe clearly means the manager thinks he's better suited to the task at hand, or Cedric would be doing it, with Martina playing the league games.

Martina just plays all the European games and cup games pretty much, nothing to do with being home or away and no different job being asked of him.

Cedric plays the league games because the Manager picks stronger teams in the league.

Cedric is just better, in defence and attack.

If we don't lose 6-1 it will be an improvement on last seasons tragedy at least we wont be fielding Cualker this time...

The reason it didn't work is because Caulker played in defence. We should have put him up top like Klopp did! Or perhaps he played him as a striker because he didn't want him anywhere near Liverpool's goal.

I very much doubt that is the reason, more likely Puel wants to keep his best right back fresh for the Premier League. As fullbacks in our system are required to do a lot of running.

I very much doubt that is the reason, more likely Puel wants to keep his best right back fresh for the Premier League. As fullbacks in our system are required to do a lot of running.

Except when we play in Europe and Cup games, apparently.

Would be surprised to see Puel move away from his rotation policy for this game, despite the temptation to given it's a Quarter Final. Can see the pros and cons of both but when it comes down to it he's been consistent in his selection policy and in what he has said since he joined.

The only thing that undermines it at the moment is the awful form of Long and Jay Rod. They are costing us.

Would be surprised to see Puel move away from his rotation policy for this game, despite the temptation to given it's a Quarter Final. Can see the pros and cons of both but when it comes down to it he's been consistent in his selection policy and in what he has said since he joined.

The only thing that undermines it at the moment is the awful form of Long and Jay Rod. They are costing us.

Long's been injured, they're dodgy things hammies, especially when most of your game is sprinting around chasing stuff.

I'm just going to leave this here: (source: http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=2471&teamTabs=results)

Matches with C Soares W3 D4 L2

As a %: W33 D44 L22

Matches without C Soares W5 D2 L4

As a %: W45 D18 L36

Matches with C Martina W4 D2 L3

As a %: W44 D22 L33

Matches without C Martina W4 D4 L3

As a %: W36 D36 L27

Statistics, eh? Won 33% of matches with Cedric in the team and 44% of matches with Martina.

Overall record for comparison:

Totals: W8 D6 L6

As a %: W40 D30 L30

So is the awful form of Redmond. In fact, any game Austin doesn't start in, we're f..ked, unless we get an own goal or a penalty. And any game in which either Fonte or van Dijk don't start, we're going to concede a goal or two. So, that means defeat like we saw in Prague.

I'm just going to leave this here: (source: http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=2471&teamTabs=results)

Statistics, eh? Won 33% of matches with Cedric in the team and 44% of matches with Martina.

:thumbup:

Fully expecting a full strength side. This is our most realistic route back in to Europe for next season. Avoid Liverpool in a two legged semi and I'd be reasonably confident of springing an upset on them in the final. I am however preparing to be extremely disappointed that we'll waste a good opportunity by playing our reserves.

Fully expecting a full strength side. This is our most realistic route back in to Europe for next season. Avoid Liverpool in a two legged semi and I'd be reasonably confident of springing an upset on them in the final. I am however preparing to be extremely disappointed that we'll waste a good opportunity by playing our reserves.

We don't have reserves we have a squad which Puel uses in the way he thinks best. Which ever team he puts out it will be the one he thinks can do a job.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/arsenal-vs-southampton-fans-warned-of-travel-chaos-at-finsbury-park-amid-victoria-and-piccadilly-a3408791.html

Arsenal fans and commuters faced travel misery as the Piccadilly and Victoria lines were hit by major problems.

Transport bosses warned Gunners fans heading to their side's home game against Southampton that their journeys were likely to be disrupted severely.

It comes as the Victoria line was closed between Seven Sisters and Walthamstow hours before kick-off at the Emirates Stadium after a person was hit by a train at Blackhorse Road station.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/arsenal-vs-southampton-fans-warned-of-travel-chaos-at-finsbury-park-amid-victoria-and-piccadilly-a3408791.html

Arsenal fans and commuters faced travel misery as the Piccadilly and Victoria lines were hit by major problems.

Transport bosses warned Gunners fans heading to their side's home game against Southampton that their journeys were likely to be disrupted severely.

It comes as the Victoria line was closed between Seven Sisters and Walthamstow hours before kick-off at the Emirates Stadium after a person was hit by a train at Blackhorse Road station.

Cheers for that, I'll head straight up in that case instead of sticking around the office.

If he puts out our first team and we don't pass sideways all night you will not hear any complaints from me

Fair

Surely you have understood by now... we use the squad as we have lots of games to cover... accept it..

I expect he has told the team to just " kick it forward" ;)

Fair... you rarely are

Poor signal on the train and can't get the underground site to load, can anyone confirm if Vauxhall to Highbury and Islington is affected?

Surely you have understood by now... we use the squad as we have lots of games to cover... accept it..

Fair... you rarely are

The 11 that played 90 minutes 3 days ago can manage another 90 tonight

If our delicate flowers are tired afterwards rest them this weekend

For those coming up on the train, might also be worth considering the London Overground train which runs from Clapham Junction all the way to Highbury & Islington. Takes a bit (10 mins) longer than tube but could potentially save time if there are problems on the Victoria.

Cheers for info. Public transport having a bad day of all days.

Just check TFL website and it's saying "Minor Delays" on the Victoria line now due to the earlier "Customer Incident" : https://tfl.gov.uk/tube-dlr-overground/status/#line-lul-victoria

So looks like almost back to 'normal'.

I will be fuming if Puel sticks out some **** side tonight

Let's give this a right go - great opportunity for some silverware finally

He will pick a side HE thinks will win it but what ever he does you will complain regardless...

If he puts out our first team and we don't pass sideways all night you will not hear any complaints from me

Fair

Fair... you rarely are

Will you Skweem and skweem and skweem?

The 11 that played 90 minutes 3 days ago can manage another 90 tonight

If our delicate flowers are tired afterwards rest them this weekend

for reference who is in the fist team then?

Hook, line and sinker....

I suspect that the numbers involved are not sufficient for any valid statistical conclusions to be drawn.

Would definitely include

Forster, VVD, Fonte, Bertrand, Cedric, Romeu, tadic (yes injured so not tonight), Austin

You can then add 3 or 4 as you please from JWP, Davis, PEH, Redmond, Boufal, clasie, jay, long

So pretty much the team that lost to Hull or the one that barely managed to get out of our half against Liverpool?

Edited by doddisalegend