Puel out

Lastman73

The 7 or so premier league matches when Fonte and VVD were available and we were out of Europe we gained 7 points including those two brilliant home performances against Spurs and West Brom over Christmas which followed a 2 week rest.

You mean the matches against 2nd placed Spurs when we had two more games within the next 5 days (And had a player sent off with over half an hour left) and West Brom when we'd just played 3 days before and had to play again 2 days later (and also had a player sent off)?

Another argument ignoring the impact of the proximity of other matches on team selection...

Claude has gone, according to one random Twitter poster @Mark_Gale7 who cites 'insiders' as his source.

Tbf I heard the same after Sunday's game, which is why I'm even entertaining the idea we might sack him despite not thinking he's done much wrong.

You mean the matches against 2nd placed Spurs when we had two more games within the next 5 days (And had a player sent off with over half an hour left) and West Brom when we'd just played 3 days before and had to play again 2 days later (and also had a player sent off)?

Another argument ignoring the impact of the proximity of other matches on team selection...

Well he ignored the proximity for certain players later in the season. Why didn't he prioritise the only winnable game WBA....haven't we been here before? Wasn't it something like 131 different changes in the first half of season? I don't think anyone can support the over rotation we saw.

Those poor footballers having to play 2 games in 5 days the little loves must struggle.

So you admit that was two games in two weeks then ?

You can make all the excuses you like we were rubbish at home-I don't know why people don't accept that. Yes we were considerably better away and it was brilliant to get to a cup final and Claude and the team have rightly received lots of plaudits for that . I went to sixteen home league games saw 4 wins and 10 saints goals-that's crap. I have 3 season tickets and have had at least one season ticket uninterrupted since either 1992 or 1994 (cant remember) as a bit of background-I feel I'm entitled to my view.

I don't know why people cant accept there were some good bits and some bad bits -its people like you who take it as a personal insult if someone has a different point of view.

I'm happy to give praise where it due but none is coming from me for our home league form.

The fact that there is such a feeling of discontent with Puel, says it all; he needs to go. Football fans in the main are a fickle group and many of us will change opinion fairly quickly and many are totally reactive to the latest result. I like to think that as much as I get very passionate and emotional about this club I am capable of taking a logical viewpoint on most situations (my work necessitates it).

For me there are five main aspects to the quality of a manager on which he should be judged:

1. Results. Did he achieve enough points in the league / finish high enough to maintain his job and satisfy the fans in the main and his employers. YES on this occasion.

2. Style of Play . Did he produce a team that excites the paying public primarily, the players enjoy it secondly, it fits with the club policy/vision thirdly, and lastly the wider footballing world recognise the team as one that plays a decent brand of football.NO on this occasion.

3. Player Recruitment. Did he sell and buy well. Avery subjective category but key to points 1 & 2. NO on this occasion.

4. Player Development / Progression.Has he developed first team players? Has he blooded younger players from the Academy. This is the aspect which separates a coach from a manager. YES on this occasion.

5. Game Strategy and Tactics. Did the team set up to attack when it needed to / should do. Were his substitutions effective / timely? Subjective but effects point 1 significantly. NO on this occasion.

So based on my subjective list of measurables I have to conclude that he needs to go. It is not clear cut as he has made some difference to the club but those differences are both positive and negative. With my emotional instinctive head on, he lost me early in the season but I was willing to see how we did after exiting Europa. Sadly it just got worse except for 3 games in the EFL Cup. My concern is that should he stay that we will plunder further into negative "safety first" type of football and although I'm not worried about relegation we would certainly flirt with it, and then next summer be in an even worse place and less likely still to keep hold of many more players who will be a further 12 months nearer the end of their current contract.

The fact that there is such a feeling of discontent with Puel, says it all; he needs to go. Football fans in the main are a fickle group and many of us will change opinion fairly quickly and many are totally reactive to the latest result. I like to think that as much as I get very passionate and emotional about this club I am capable of taking a logical viewpoint on most situations (my work necessitates it).

For me there are five main aspects to the quality of a manager on which he should be judged:

1. Results. Did he achieve enough points in the league / finish high enough to maintain his job and satisfy the fans in the main and his employers. YES on this occasion.

2. Style of Play . Did he produce a team that excites the paying public primarily, the players enjoy it secondly, it fits with the club policy/vision thirdly, and lastly the wider footballing world recognise the team as one that plays a decent brand of football.NO on this occasion.

3. Player Recruitment. Did he sell and buy well. Avery subjective category but key to points 1 & 2. NO on this occasion.

4. Player Development / Progression.Has he developed first team players? Has he blooded younger players from the Academy. This is the aspect which separates a coach from a manager. YES on this occasion.

5. Game Strategy and Tactics. Did the team set up to attack when it needed to / should do. Were his substitutions effective / timely? Subjective but effects point 1 significantly. NO on this occasion.

So based on my subjective list of measurables I have to conclude that he needs to go. It is not clear cut as he has made some difference to the club but those differences are both positive and negative. With my emotional instinctive head on, he lost me early in the season but I was willing to see how we did after exiting Europa. Sadly it just got worse except for 3 games in the EFL Cup. My concern is that should he stay that we will plunder further into negative "safety first" type of football and although I'm not worried about relegation we would certainly flirt with it, and then next summer be in an even worse place and less likely still to keep hold of many more players who will be a further 12 months nearer the end of their current contract.

3. Not in his remit, so can't be blamed for transfers.

Heard it's Garry Monk

Not what i've heard but wouldn't be too disappointed with that where we are now. That said if we'd swapped Koeman or Poch for Monk i think most would've said that's a definite backwards step, which does show how we've dropped off.

Can't believe some people would be happy with Garry Monk.

Leeds fans are gutted he has left them. Not sure if he will be an upgrade, but Puel in many ways will not be a hard act to follow (apart from league position and cup final!).

Well he ignored the proximity for certain players later in the season. Why didn't he prioritise the only winnable game WBA....haven't we been here before? Wasn't it something like 131 different changes in the first half of season? I don't think anyone can support the over rotation we saw.

Those poor footballers having to play 2 games in 5 days the little loves must struggle.

Well you're wrong.

And also it appears completely out of touch with the impact of recovery rates on performance.

So you admit that was two games in two weeks then ?

You can make all the excuses you like we were rubbish at home-I don't know why people don't accept that. Yes we were considerably better away and it was brilliant to get to a cup final and Claude and the team have rightly received lots of plaudits for that . I went to sixteen home league games saw 4 wins and 10 saints goals-that's crap. I have 3 season tickets and have had at least one season ticket uninterrupted since either 1992 or 1994 (cant remember) as a bit of background-I feel I'm entitled to my view.

I don't know why people cant accept there were some good bits and some bad bits -its people like you who take it as a personal insult if someone has a different point of view.

I'm happy to give praise where it due but none is coming from me for our home league form.

What was two games in two weeks? It was Spurs 28th, West Brom 31st and Everton 2nd Jan. And then a 5 day break before 7th Norwich, 11th Liverpool, 14th Burnley, 18th Norwich, 22nd Leicester, 25th Liverpool, 28th Arsenal, 31st Swansea, 4th West Ham. And then we had a week without a midweek game.

If you think we can pick a side for any of those games without considering the others you're being unrealistic.

It is hilarious though that after the entire season, the only response against Puel's rotation so far to hold any water comes about the Xmas schedule which was widely panned for how inequal it was, particularly for being unfair it was to Saints.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1862/premier-league/2017/01/03/31102732/wenger-criticises-uneven-christmas-fixture-schedule

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/revealed-was-the-christmas-premier-league-schedule-the-most-uneven-ever-35338503.html

PL%20stats.jpg

Oh and one of the reasons we scored more goals away was because we played Watford and Sunderland and stuck 4 on them both during the period where we had a week between matches.

Also, why do you think West Brom was the "only winnable game"? If ever there was hindsight it's that one.

What was two games in two weeks? It was Spurs 28th, West Brom 31st and Everton 2nd Jan. And then a 5 day break before 7th Norwich, 11th Liverpool, 14th Burnley, 18th Norwich, 22nd Leicester, 25th Liverpool, 28th Arsenal, 31st Swansea, 4th West Ham. And then we had a week without a midweek game.

If you think we can pick a side for any of those games without considering the others you're being unrealistic.

It is hilarious though that after the entire season, the only response against Puel's rotation so far to hold any water comes about the Xmas schedule which was widely panned for how inequal it was, particularly for being unfair it was to Saints.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1862/premier-league/2017/01/03/31102732/wenger-criticises-uneven-christmas-fixture-schedule

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/revealed-was-the-christmas-premier-league-schedule-the-most-uneven-ever-35338503.html

PL%20stats.jpg

Oh and one of the reasons we scored more goals away was because we played Watford and Sunderland and stuck 4 on them both during the period where we had a week between matches.

Get your calendar out count backwards from Spurs and work out how much rest we had before that game. Where all those other teams played 2 days earlier therefore had less rest prior to Boxing Day fixtures.

We also had long rest period between Bournemouth and Hull at home and probably plenty others but I cant be arsed to check.

Edited by AK
Removal of needless petty insult!

I think this is a good post, although I don't each the same conclusion. I think you being fair other than point 3 which ignores the recruitment model we have. Redmond was signed, for example, with no first team coach in place. I am glad he did sign by the any, but it proves the point.

When I differ is the action. A part of the debate many seem to have missed is that it is perfectly possible to call out areas where more is needed, e.g. Style of play at home, but the route to securing that without losing the good things that you rightly identify may be discussing it in an end of season debrief, planning what needs to improve in the summer (recruitment and training) and back the manager to learn from that in season two.

We seem to live in an age now where people love an immediate knee jerk reaction. A bit like Brexit and Trump, but don't get me started on that...!

OUT OUT OUT

But what is the point when we dont have any exceptional attacking players I doubt Austin Long and JRod would get many games in the teams above us

Getting a new manager will not help that much if Austin Long and JRod fail to convert chances and Boufal and Tadic flatter to decieve

I think this is a good post, although I don't each the same conclusion. I think you being fair other than point 3 which ignores the recruitment model we have. Redmond was signed, for example, with no first team coach in place. I am glad he did sign by the any, but it proves the point.

When I differ is the action. A part of the debate many seem to have missed is that it is perfectly possible to call out areas where more is needed, e.g. Style of play at home, but the route to securing that without losing the good things that you rightly identify may be discussing it in an end of season debrief, planning what needs to improve in the summer (recruitment and training) and back the manager to learn from that in season two.

We seem to live in an age now where people love an immediate knee jerk reaction. A bit like Brexit and Trump, but don't get me started on that...!

I don't know how you can call it 'immediate knee jerk reaction' when it's been coming to a head over the season.

Sadly yes. Pretty irrelevant who the manager is if that is the direction our squad is heading..

That, I agree with you

You just know Bertrand will be 1 of 3-5 first team players going.

Bertrand

Cedric

VvD

Forster

Romeu?

Then there is Iong......?