Puel out

Lastman73

If he does go, I hope his replacement is Emery or Tuchel (maybe Roger S), because anything else is sideways. Fans often want change as an answer, but we must be careful what we wish for.

This is the nub of the problem for me. I am not overwhelmed by the names being thrown around, and I can't see ex PSG and ex B.Dortmund managers joining Southampton, assuming they become available.

It's been a tough season for Puel.

He arrived with a system that freaked out our players. A lot of them simply weren't good enough to play it, or couldn't adapt quickly enough to do it any kind of justice. At times, you could see the potential. We created tonnes of chances with the diamond but Puel had to rely on Long, Redmond and Jay to finish them off. I'd be knocking on the chairmans door asking for strikers. This happened when we signed Gabba. Pied and Boufal, also Puels signings, know the system, but have been unfortunate with injuries. Then you have the crabs in midfield. Claude's system relies on fast paced free flowing and attack minded midfielders. We have JWP and Davis.

Puel has learnt a lot about the current crop. Some players need to go / dead wood. Some can't find consistency. Some aren't ready.

When you add in Europa on top of the prems fixture congestion and players under performing / not being able to play a different system, and the fans' unfounded discontent with rotation... You get, dull football.

If he doesn't get another season, I'd feel everyone has given up on time, time to properly rebuild.

If he does go, I hope his replacement is Emery or Tuchel (maybe Roger S), because anything else is sideways. Fans often want change as an answer, but we must be careful what we wish for.

Good post but his system worked away from home it was at SMS he doesn't seem capable of changing things when going wrong. That's my concern with him.

If we recruit well a tall, strong running box to box midfielder to help Romeu is a must.

Let Boufal attack in better areas not wide. Get midfield going beyond the striker and in the box we will see better results.

Tadic, Boufal , JWP and Davis on the pitch at same time doesn't work.

Good recruitment is key if he stays.

Would Poch, Koeman or Pardew have put up with January debacle?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Pamplemousse, Old Nick, Always SFC, Shurlock and Lord Duckhunter. They must have about 500 posts supporting Puel.

Either they are:

honest and really rate him

are trolling

have multiple logins.

:lol: can't wait to see Shurlock's response to being accused of being Always in disguise ... I imagine it will involve serious use of the word Pal

Pamplemousse, Old Nick, Always SFC, Shurlock and Lord Duckhunter. They must have about 500 posts supporting Puel.

Either they are:

are trolling

have multiple logins.

You seem to ignore the "don't think he's done anything worth getting sacked for and has actually been pretty successful considering" group.

I thank you for the mention, if I had the time or interest to have a multiple log in I wouldnt use those type of names. My name is Nick and changed from NickH after a NickG started posting and I didnt want to be confused with his posts. Therfore I was the 'Old' Nick ,the devil and old.

As for me posting in favour of Puel , Iam category 1 in your list

Fair enough Nick.

You seem to ignore the "don't think he's done anything worth getting sacked for and has actually been pretty successful considering" group.

Sorry I left you out 9.

You're right, I should have included something like that.

I couldn't disagree with you more, but it would be a pretty boring website if there weren't different opinions on it.

Good post but his system worked away from home it was at SMS he doesn't seem capable of changing things when going wrong. That's my concern with him.

If we recruit well a tall, strong running box to box midfielder to help Romeu is a must.

Let Boufal attack in better areas not wide. Get midfield going beyond the striker and in the box we will see better results.

Tadic, Boufal , JWP and Davis on the pitch at same time doesn't work.

Good recruitment is key if he stays.

Would Poch, Koeman or Pardew have put up with January debacle?

Of that lot I agree with all of it other than "it worked away not at home" (based on basically two aways where we were rested and scored 4, no reason to think that won't be a regular feature next season) and "doesn't seem capable of changing things", as well as the implication that the manager would have made a difference to the club's policy - though yes, Koeman probably would have signed a dutch player he knew on a 6 month contract rather than Caceres. Pochettino was in no position to complain, we had the best XI players in Europe and the rest of them didn't matter, if you believed Cortese.

The rest of it makes sense, though I don't think we need to worry about Tadic any more, and Davis is running towards the end of his career now.

Sorry I left you out 9.

You're right, I should have included something like that.

I couldn't disagree with you more, but it would be a pretty boring website if there weren't different opinions on it.

Apology accepted. Blame squarely on the fixture list and our shatty finishing/goalkeeping. ;)

He arrived with a system that freaked out our players. A lot of them simply weren't good enough to play it, or couldn't adapt quickly enough to do it any kind of justice. At times, you could see the potential. We created tonnes of chances with the diamond but Puel had to rely on Long, Redmond and Jay to finish them off. I'd be knocking on the chairmans door asking for strikers. This happened when we signed Gabba. Pied and Boufal, also Puels signings, know the system, but have been unfortunate with injuries. Then you have the crabs in midfield. Claude's system relies on fast paced free flowing and attack minded midfielders. We have JWP and Davis.

Puel has learnt a lot about the current crop. Some players need to go / dead wood. Some can't find consistency. Some aren't ready.

When you add in Europa on top of the prems fixture congestion and players under performing / not being able to play a different system, and the fans' unfounded discontent with rotation... You get, dull football.

If he doesn't get another season, I'd feel everyone has given up on time, time to properly rebuild.

This is what i've been saying all along. We don't have the players to play the system and the players are taking time to adapt.

Let s back Puel in the transfer market, ship out the deadwood and go again.

The style is attractive in the build up let s just make sure we have the right midfield/forward players to create the chances, we need pace, skill and good finishing.

Oh and let s get Claude some english lessons too.

When you say CBfry you really mean yourself Nick...errr me....I mean Shurlock ...nope wait Always ...don't you?

Either that or you're all in an office with a big Claude Puel poster on the wall spending all your time bigging him up on the interweb. ;)

Of that lot I agree with all of it other than "it worked away not at home" (based on basically two aways where we were rested and scored 4, no reason to think that won't be a regular feature next season) and "doesn't seem capable of changing things", as well as the implication that the manager would have made a difference to the club's policy - though yes, Koeman probably would have signed a dutch player he knew on a 6 month contract rather than Caceres. Pochettino was in no position to complain, we had the best XI players in Europe and the rest of them didn't matter, if you believed Cortese.

The rest of it makes sense, though I don't think we need to worry about Tadic any more, and Davis is running towards the end of his career now.

I'll give 2 examples where tactically at home he worries me. Spurs at home we were great for 20 mins retreated and got battered for 25 but went in 1-1.

Danny Rose was causing us all the issues because Redmond didn't get near him - should have doubled up the full back and shut that down but put out same players in same positions we got stuffed.

Hull at home....if ever a game needed 2 strikers it was that one he just shuffled deck chairs.

A decent assistant would have seen that and talked him into it that's our problem imo.

I'll give 2 examples where tactically at home he worries me. Spurs at home we were great for 20 mins retreated and got battered for 25 but went in 1-1.

Danny Rose was causing us all the issues because Redmond didn't get near him - should have doubled up the full back and shut that down but put out same players in same positions we got stuffed.

Hull at home....if ever a game needed 2 strikers it was that one he just shuffled deck chairs.

A decent assistant would have seen that and talked him into it that's our problem imo.

Ron, a decent manager would see that for himself.

We were only a goal behind when we had a player sent off against Spurs, which is why we got stuffed.

Hull at home we were flat as hell, had played 3 days before and they'd had a week off and were playing to stay in the League. Now you can start an argument about motivation but that's the only game in the entire season where we didn't look like we were at least as bothered as the opposition.

We were only a goal behind when we had a player sent off against Spurs, which is why we got stuffed.

Hull at home we were flat as hell, had played 3 days before and they'd had a week off and were playing to stay in the League. Now you can start an argument about motivation but that's the only game in the entire season where we didn't look like we were at least as bothered as the opposition.

And even then, we were only a penalty away from winning that game.

So what? It was the worst game I have ever had to sit through and 'winning' with a penalty was never going to change that. You are confusing gaining points with entertainment.

Are you joking? You must be a new supporter then because I can think of worse games than that. That or you are taking the ****

Are you joking? You must be a new supporter then because I can think of worse games than that. That or you are taking the ****

I'm not taking the ****

Please point me to a worse game. This is our home game against Hull, right? ( Although there are plenty of other candidates)

He arrived with a system that freaked out our players. A lot of them simply weren't good enough to play it, or couldn't adapt quickly enough to do it any kind of justice.

Here is problem 1. Why completely change a winning team, one that put square pegs in square holes.

Brave/Foolish/Stubborn, delete as applicable (or none at all)

Why not be flexible enough to let our strikers play as a two occasionally if we are struggling for goals?

If he stays nothing will change as he is a stubborn ****

Pamplemousse, Old Nick, Always SFC, Shurlock, Lord Duckhunter, doddisalegend and The9. They must have about 500 posts supporting Puel.

Either they are:

are trolling

have multiple logins.

I rate him. At least high enough that he deserves a second season.

Honest.

I'm getting the feeling he is staying....

TBH...I'm worried who we might get in as a replacement anyhow.

More of the same next season,with the loss of some assets...and some non discript replacements in im afraid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is problem 1. Why completely change a winning team, one that put square pegs in square holes.

Brave/Foolish/Stubborn, delete as applicable (or none at all)

Why not be flexible enough to let our strikers play as a two occasionally if we are struggling for goals?

If he stays nothing will change as he is a stubborn ****

This and if he rotates 6 players in ad out every week again i give up - he is clueless tactically im sorry

So what? It was the worst game I have ever had to sit through and 'winning' with a penalty was never going to change that. You are confusing gaining points with entertainment.

You don't get any points for entertainment.

Fewer people would be moaning had we won.

Pamplemousse, Old Nick, Always SFC, Shurlock, Lord Duckhunter, doddisalegend and The9. They must have about 500 posts supporting Puel.

Either they are:

are trolling

have multiple logins.

So on that basis, everyone who is anti-Puel is an extra login account of Heisenberg and Batman.

Yup, makes sense to me.

You don't get any points for entertainment.

Fewer people would be moaning had we won.

You are obsessed with points. This is all very well if you don't actually pay to go to games. However, if you're a professional football business then you need paying punters either through the turnstiles or through the gogglebox.

You are obsessed with points. This is all very well if you don't actually pay to go to games. However, if you're a professional football business then you need paying punters either through the turnstiles or through the gogglebox.

So if we lose every game 7-6 next season, the forum and all of our fanbase will be super happy because we're entertaining.

giphy.gif

So if we lose every game 7-6 next season, the forum and all of our fanbase will be super happy because we're entertaining.

giphy.gif

That would be a great way to go down...people would take about the team that scored 200 goals in a season and went down...

We would have the three or four top scorers in the league and could probably sell them for a few hundred million...

I am in!

A lot of people left early in that game and the League cup and FA cup games. The Hull game was exceptionally poor and got a fierce reaction.

A lot of people left early in that game and the League cup and FA cup games. The Hull game was exceptionally poor and got a fierce reaction.

I know a ST holder who left the Arsenal FA Cup game at half time. He said that it was the first Saints game that he had ever left before the end.

Edited by Whitey Grandad