Thomas Tuchel - Ruled Out

Singapore Saint

He was to all intents and purposes sacked by Dortmund. It wasn't his decision.

All big ifs of course, but...

He has already ruled out Leverkusen, so looks unlikely to stay in Germany if dismissing one of the better jobs there.

The top jobs in the Premier League don't look like being available this summer. If he has ambitions of managing Arsenal in 2019, managing Saints for 2 years is a good introduction into English football for him. Of course some Saints fans will moan about being a stepping stone... but so what? He'd only leave for a bigger club if he's done well so Saints benefit in those two seasons.

Might help that we have a chance to keep hold of our best player as well :/

Schmidt & Tuchel on Saints shortlist says the journalist the club leak thing to, Jeremy Wilson of the Telegraph...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/06/07/claude-puel-faces-sack-southampton-have-found-replacement/

Neither comes as a surprise.

Schmidt would be my own preference whilst my lad prefers Tuchel. Either are a massive upgrade on Puel.

Neither comes as a surprise.

Schmidt would be my own preference whilst my lad prefers Tuchel. Either are a massive upgrade on Puel.

VFTT, I don't know how much you've seen of Schmidt, personally i can't say it's too much, but do you not think we'll be too open under him? From the little I have seen and read, he has little regard for his defence (we'll score 1 or 4 more than you mentality).

That said, I'd love to see us play 2 up top again and I think it'd suit Gabbi down to the ground under him

I can't lie i'd only ever heard of Schmidt on here, but i'd love Tuchel, so much so that I can't believe there's any chance of it happening. But if we kept Virg, and added a new first choice CB (i'm a big fan of Yoshida and Stephens, but there is definitely room for improvement), then i'm not sure i'd be too scared about being 'too open' as with Romeu in from our defence would be good enough to cope.

VFTT, I don't know how much you've seen of Schmidt, personally i can't say it's too much, but do you not think we'll be too open under him? From the little I have seen and read, he has little regard for his defence (we'll score 1 or 4 more than you mentality).

That said, I'd love to see us play 2 up top again and I think it'd suit Gabbi down to the ground under him

That was ultimately his downfall at Leverkusen this season but maybe he's learned from that and will adjust his tactics a bit to protect the defence more. On the whole his record is pretty good but goals conceded is his achilles heal. That having been said his team were reasonably tight in the Champions League this year apart from the Athletico game. They didn't concede against Spurs in 180 minutes of football.

One thing's for sure if we get Schmidt the games will be a lot more interesting than recently.

Source? My mate who's a season ticket holder at Ajax would like to know more about it. Especially now it seems they are likely to promote Marcel Keizer to first team coach.

Yeah I second this I expect Keizer to be given the gig and its more inline with how Ajax work here.

Based on those comments on style it looks like Schmidt might be the first choice, though I get the impression we didn't get our first choice last year.

We seem to be looking for Poch v.2 and by what I've read about Schmidt, particularly at Leverkusen he does that high press, probably a fun ride with him in charge as he pretty much plays 2-4-4 when they are pressing and his teams rarely sit in and consolidate possession. He's been criticised for not adapting his style so it'll be interesting to see if he's learned from that.

Either would be quite exciting I reckon, certainly more well known to Puel and potentially play more extensive football, Touchel seems more adaptable formation wise but there are questions marks over his relationship with players/boards, so negatives with both of them.

Yeah the more i read about schmidt the more excited i am, sounds like the sort of season we had under poch and Poch has proven this style is effective in our league.

I'm not sure our players are that suited to a constant high pressing game. JWP, Tadic, Austin, an aging Davis, Boufal, Clasie and post injury Jrod all seem unsuited due to fitness, work rate or ability.

I'm not sure our players are that suited to a constant high pressing game. JWP, Tadic, Austin, an aging Davis, Boufal, Clasie and post injury Jrod all seem unsuited due to fitness, work rate or ability.

One of JWP's best seasons was arguably under Poch. Clasie's pressing is one of his better attributes. Davis would fit the bill, but as you've alluded to, age may be becoming a factor. I can get behind your assessment for the rest though.

"The second point here is that Leverkusen want to shoot the ball quickly. So they’re surging forward and always looking for a chance to have a pop at goal. One suspects that the offseason signings of Hakan Calhanoglu and Karim Bellarabi were made because both players are skilled shooters from distance."

He'll be delighted with what our midfield has to offer then!

One of JWP's best seasons was arguably under Poch. Clasie's pressing is one of his better attributes. Davis would fit the bill, but as you've alluded to, age may be becoming a factor. I can get behind your assessment for the rest though.

Problem with Clasie is fitness he is usually blowing out his arse after 60 minutes and JWP idea of closing down is to amble towards an opponent waving his arms around like he is trying to round up chickens....

"The second point here is that Leverkusen want to shoot the ball quickly. So they’re surging forward and always looking for a chance to have a pop at goal. One suspects that the offseason signings of Hakan Calhanoglu and Karim Bellarabi were made because both players are skilled shooters from distance."

He'll be delighted with what our midfield has to offer then!

Think I read somewhere that Calhanoglu said he would like to work with Schmidt again in the future...

Think I read somewhere that Calhanoglu said he would like to work with Schmidt again in the future...

Sign an actual goal scoring midfielder? Seems unlikely, cos we've been crying out for one for years.

Then they will have to adapt or watch others that can adapt ...

Problem with Clasie is fitness he is usually blowing out his arse after 60 minutes and JWP idea of closing down is to amble towards an opponent waving his arms around like he is trying to round up chickens....

You didn't specify that it had to be stylish :D

None of us probably thought the same when poch changed our teams fitness, its all about the training they receive, under puel our fitness has decreased a lot so I would imagine lots of double fitness sessions to bring the players fitness up the that standard. Also he would have the pre season to get rid of dead wood who cant adapt or have the fitness levels needed ( jrod and Austin for sure) and get in players who know the system.

He was to all intents and purposes sacked by Dortmund. It wasn't his decision.

All big ifs of course, but...

He has already ruled out Leverkusen, so looks unlikely to stay in Germany if dismissing one of the better jobs there.

The top jobs in the Premier League don't look like being available this summer. If he has ambitions of managing Arsenal in 2019, managing Saints for 2 years is a good introduction into English football for him. Of course some Saints fans will moan about being a stepping stone... but so what? He'd only leave for a bigger club if he's done well so Saints benefit in those two seasons.

But he wasn't sacked because the club performed poorly - just a clash of managerial styles. Dortmund did well in the year's CL, won the German cup and qualified for next year's CL. He needs to prove himself about as much as Mourinho needed to prove himself after being sacked by Chelsea, albeit Tuchel is one rung lower than him on the managerial ladder, and so would be more likely to pick up a Roma/Napoli/Schalke/Spurs/Arsenal type position when it inevitably opens up within the next year.