Thomas Tuchel - Ruled Out

Singapore Saint

On 24/12/2020 at 14:49, badgerx16 said:

Potch looks like he is the replacement at PSG.

Did anyone else hear the item on 5 Live earlier....?

A European journalist said that Poch would not be a good fit at PSG because player power is too strong.

As evidence for this view he said that when at Saints, Poch heard that Lallana had a direct line of communication with the Saints chairman and was moaning about things, Poch was livid and tried to insist that all grievances went to him. 

The journalist implied that at PSG there were too many "personalities" who would not buy into the Pochettino authority / work ethic 

3 minutes ago, Wilf said:

Did anyone else hear the item on 5 Live earlier....?

A European journalist said that Poch would not be a good fit at PSG because player power is too strong.

As evidence for this view he said that when at Saints, Poch heard that Lallana had a direct line of communication with the Saints chairman and was moaning about things, Poch was livid and tried to insist that all grievances went to him. 

The journalist implied that at PSG there were too many "personalities" who would not buy into the Pochettino authority / work ethic 

Same sceptical journalist who thought he would fail at Saints and Spurs.

It s always the same tune and when the players get to work for him, everyone is willing to put everything on the line for hhim.

He ll have a lot of success at PSG with multiple Champion league wins for them.

• 1 year later...

Love these old threads where we speculate as to whether Tuchel, Emery, Schmidt or, er... Pellegrino would be our top choice to manage a high pressure, passing stylish kind of style (copyright Les Reed via Saints' Board of Directors PR aka Jeremy Wilson at The Telegraph)

Should have got Marco Silva in with benefit of hindsight. He wouldn't have stayed for much longer than a season and we would've still ended up bringing in the next in line out of work manager, but we would've actually won more than 7 matches in 2017-2018.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

What a train wreck of a club, it's more their ownership that was the bullet to be dodged, not that it was ever going to happen. 

Not sure you can call it a train wreck. They have an amazing squad, probably one of the very best in the world, and he keeps losing/dropping points.

for that outlay, you would want them pushing for for every trophy going. They ain’t as it stands

35 minutes ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

I didn't have Tuchel down on my 'At Risk' list. The new owner I suppose. Brighton have been asked for permission to speak to Graham Potter. The secure world of football management. 

The signing of Aubameyang seemed very much a "whatever you want Tuchel" signing, so yeah, feels very odd to now sack him.

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

The signing of Aubameyang seemed very much a "whatever you want Tuchel" signing, so yeah, feels very odd to now sack him.

Aubameyang isn't the easiest player to keep under control as Arteta is well aware. Tuchel had worked with him before so knows how to keep him in his place. Aubameyang at his best is a good player which Chelsea appear to need at the moment. Be interesting to see how he behaves now. 

• Like 1

Looks like Saints sent another manager to the employment office. Owners hate loosing to little Ole Saints. We spent the same in transfer fees as they did for one player and with kids we won the game!

Chealsea new owners as ruthless as the last gangsters oligarch. What a mess, buying loads of players, tons of money spent, good players getting stale, buy more players.....what a shite show......loving it!!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

I'm all for the weakening/unsettling of Brighton if Potter is indeed their no1 target

Brighton given permission for Chelsea to talk to him according to SSN.

I must be missing something here, he’s done well and is a decent manager for a club like them, or us even. But a big 6 club? Christ it was only last season the Brighton fans were having a go cos they hadn’t won at home for ages.

Edited by beatlesaint

They do strike me as a club with absolutley no direction. 

They've just spent almost £300m on players which will have ultimatley been Tuchels choice, as they have no footballing people in the boardroom anymore. So they would have been identified and signed on Tuchels recommendation. They feel very unstable and the new ownership don't seem to have any idea how football operates.

24 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Brighton given permission for Chelsea to talk to him according to SSN.

I must be missing something here, he’s done well and is a decent manager for a club like them, or us even. But a big 6 club? Christ it was only last season the Brighton fans were having a go cos they hadn’t won at home for ages.

Quite right. They had that poor run last season but he stuck with it and turned them around. Personally I think he deserves the chance. Hes done a fantastic job on a smallish budget, has them playing attractive football and seems to get the very best out of ok players. Gross and Trossard two good examples. Will be a massive step up with the pressure of new owners and how much they spent in the summer.

Will he be the first ex-Saints player to manage one of the 'top 6' since Hughes (although technically City werent a top 6 club back then)?

14 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

They do strike me as a club with absolutley no direction. 

They've just spent almost £300m on players which will have ultimatley been Tuchels choice, as they have no footballing people in the boardroom anymore. So they would have been identified and signed on Tuchels recommendation. They feel very unstable and the new ownership don't seem to have any idea how football operates.

Do clubs sign players as the ‘managers choice’? Aubameyang maybe, but doubt Forfana was signed because Tuchel wanted him specifically 

Even our signings from city can’t have been on Ralph’s insistence!

Edited by AlexLaw76

6 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Do clubs sign players as the ‘managers choice’? Aubameyang maybe, but doubt Forfana was signed because Tuchel wanted him specifically 

They sacked a lot of their scouts, DoF and technical director though - so who was advising and recommending these players if it wasn't the incumbent manager? 

11 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

They sacked a lot of their scouts, DoF and technical director though - so who was advising and recommending these players if it wasn't the incumbent manager? 

A club like Chelsea will have an enormous amount of “people” advising them, and probably get offered every player on the planet. 
I am sure Tuchel was involved with the acquisitions, but the days of spending millions upon millions on the whim of one person went years ago. 

15 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Quite right. They had that poor run last season but he stuck with it and turned them around. Personally I think he deserves the chance. Hes done a fantastic job on a smallish budget, has them playing attractive football and seems to get the very best out of ok players. Gross and Trossard two good examples. Will be a massive step up with the pressure of new owners and how much they spent in the summer.

Will he be the first ex-Saints player to manage one of the 'top 6' since Hughes (although technically City werent a top 6 club back then)?

Can't help feeling Potter would be on a hiding to nothing there. I know it shouldn't be the case, but I wonder if he has the clout behind him to walk into that Chelsea dressing room and try to get those players onside. Tough job to turn down though if they approach him.

5 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Can't help feeling Potter would be on a hiding to nothing there. I know it shouldn't be the case, but I wonder if he has the clout behind him to walk into that Chelsea dressing room and try to get those players onside. Tough job to turn down though if they approach him.

Indeed it would be a tough job but win or fail he would walk away with a tax haven full of money.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

From Chelsea.......We were told when Boehly arrived at the club that, for the first time in two decades, the manager would have the final say on transfers. True to his word, despite the new owner wanting Cristiano Ronaldo, Tuchel said no and that was that. The seven players, bought for £250m, were therefore ‘Tuchel signings’. The last of which, signed 130 hours before his dismissal (give or take), was about as Tuchel a signing as it’s possible to be. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang – whom Tuchel had described as “my player” even before he had agreed to join – played 59 minutes of football under Daddy before Daddy was shown the door.

Tuchel has been a bit of a loose cannon in his career and appears to have fallen out with every club.

Surprising he’s been sacked although I thought there would be some ructions there and he’d walk away later in the season after throwing toys out of the pram. Perhaps there’s been a bit of that behind the scenes.

Does seem incredible sacking a manager after a handful of games having spent over £200m.

Potter would be mad taking the job, money aside. Someone made the point on here about him the other day, he’d not get the time to build at a Top 6 side, less so at Chelsea 

Read this in one paper: 

...but not all were his signings and there were other instances of the ownership attempting to foist players on him.

One example was the case of Anthony Gordon, who Tuchel did not want. Boehly’s data analysts had pushed for the Everton midfielder after being impressed by some of his performance metrics. Tuchel came to feel he had too many players to accommodate and not enough he could count on.

The new owner apparently wanted Ronaldo as well!

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Brighton have accepted Chelsea's approach to speak with Potter.

I imagine they easily accepted because they threw a massive amount of money under the door.

£16m is his release clause. 

A good opportunity to test himself, however, it seems not all is functioning well or in the same direction with squad development in the Boehly organisation. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Doctoroncall said:

£16m is his release clause. 

A good opportunity to test himself, however, it seems not all is functioning well or in the same direction with squad development in the Boehly organisation. 

Christ! I really like him, think he's a good manager, and done a brilliant job with Brighton.  If they had a striker, they'd have finished way higher up the league. Lost 2 very important players this summer, and flying this season.

2 hours ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

Looks like Saints sent another manager to the employment office. Owners hate loosing to little Ole Saints. We spent the same in transfer fees as they did for one player and with kids we won the game!

Chealsea new owners as ruthless as the last gangsters oligarch. What a mess, buying loads of players, tons of money spent, good players getting stale, buy more players.....what a shite show......loving it!!

I think you'll find Dinamo Zagreb struck the killer blow, not Saints. 

51 minutes ago, Badger said:

Tuchel has been a bit of a loose cannon in his career and appears to have fallen out with every club.

Surprising he’s been sacked although I thought there would be some ructions there and he’d walk away later in the season after throwing toys out of the pram. Perhaps there’s been a bit of that behind the scenes.

Does seem incredible sacking a manager after a handful of games having spent over £200m.

Potter would be mad taking the job, money aside. Someone made the point on here about him the other day, he’d not get the time to build at a Top 6 side, less so at Chelsea 

Potter would be mad not to take the job. So many promising English managers fail to get their chance of the top six

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, rooney said:

Not up to either imhu

I think he'd be ideal for England. Was very pro him for us when lots of others on here said he was rubbish, incidentally. That ship sailed long ago though. Has the right mentality and calm authority for that one

1 hour ago, DT said:

I think Potter will turn it down and wait for the England job

I also think he might turn it down but more because the Chelsea job is such a poisoned chalice.

The England job is as well but for different reasons. 

1 hour ago, DT said:

and Poch would be much more their style (and his)

I suspect Chelsea will initially want someone with some trophies on their CV already.

Cant see Poch setting and staying there very long with the regime in place. But then he may see it as a quick earner (factoring in the speed with which Chelsea turnover managers and will look to pay him off).

• Like 1

On one hand Potter would be mad to turn it down, on the other he’ll be gone by the end of the season so why go?

Chelsea expect immediate results and they don’t give you time to build a squad, the club, style of football etc.

I would think Tuchel has had some say in the players he wanted at the club. Aubameyang is obviously the prime example. Chelsea don’t seem like an organised club, no footballing experts around, seemingly sacked the ones with the knowledge and as a club will probably go backwards now.

11 minutes ago, adrian lord said:

Hard to turn it down if you are Potter because you might never get another shot at the big time. But it is a poisoned chalice par excellence

It does seem a short-tenure gig. They don't seem to be tryng to build/grow something. Would be very interesting to see how he would get on there.

At Brighton does he do the ballet (and other wierd stuff) he used to do in Sweden?

20 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Potter would be mad to turn it down

This.

It's a terrible fit, he'd probably be gone by Christmas but go for it. Take the money and the Champions League games and the experience.

I always look at managers and think that as long as their last-but-one job went okay they'll always get another shot.

So Potter goes in at Chelsea and is binned, fine - he's not going to be out of work for long and he'd get a job at a club like Leicester or Palace or Saints etc no bother at all. Even if he goes to Chelsea and loses ten games in a row and is sacked before the world cup, he will bounce back.

Honestly if he turns it down he's a fucking plank. Take the money and the challenge.

Make no mistake i think it would be a terrible appointment for Chelsea but that's not the point.

Also it brings Brighton back into the bottom 6, all being well.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

This.

It's a terrible fit, he'd probably be gone by Christmas but go for it. Take the money and the Champions League games and the experience.

I always look at managers and think that as long as their last-but-one job went okay they'll always get another shot.

So Potter goes in at Chelsea and is binned, fine - he's not going to be out of work for long and he'd get a job at a club like Leicester or Palace or Saints etc no bother at all. Even if he goes to Chelsea and loses ten games in a row and is sacked before the world cup, he will bounce back.

Honestly if he turns it down he's a fucking plank. Take the money and the challenge.

Make no mistake i think it would be a terrible appointment for Chelsea but that's not the point.

Also it brings Brighton back into the bottom 6, all being well.

This all day long.