Southampton vs. Watford build up

Pass the Dutchie

He's very comfortable on the ball, reads the game quite well, and if he can improve in the air and in one one one situations, he could turn out to be very good.

I don't really have a horse in this race, but it's funny to think that the only thing holding Stephens back from being good is actually being good at the two most fundamental aspects of his position...

I don't really have a horse in this race, but it's funny to think that the only thing holding Stephens back from being good is actually being good at the two most fundamental aspects of his position...

Quite! Although actually I think he's quite strong in one-on-one situations... To be honest, although it appears from my comments that I'm backing the Yoshida "horse", I can see the argument for Stephens too. I just don't think the logic of his argument against Yoshida stood up.

It may also depend on the defensive partner. I'd be happier putting Stephens alongside van Dijk than Hoedt, because apparently (obv we will see) Hoedt isn't the quickest across the ground, in which case we probably need Yoshida alongside him, as he is quicker than Stephens.

We will clearly need a big tall CB who can head the ball against Watford for sure. I honestly don't know what our best 11 is and I don't think MoPo does yet or Clueless ever did. That is our fundamental underlying issue, in the team situation we are still forming, not even norming or performing, let alone storming!

Hmmmm not sure about that. Pellegrino has stuck with the same team every game, except replacing JWP with Lemina when he joined. That strikes me as someone who at least thinks they know their best team. That may change in due course, given recent performances and new players joining, but up to now it certainly does look like Pellegrino knows his best team - even if the rest of us don't agree with it!

And Puel did know his strongest side, he just rotated a lot. The only time there was a noticeable change in our strongest line up was when JWP went to the right and swapped with Tadic, and that worked well for a while.

Tadic absolutely has to be benched for either Ward-Prowse or Boufal.

I think we've all been shown the club's ambitions over the summer by hanging onto our best talent and bringing in some quality. And whilst it's admirable for football clubs to give starting opportunities to local(ish) lads, it's unlikely the club will allow JWP to start in our first team as that's clearly not a strategy which is going to result in winning games of football.

If Tadic isn't playing well it's because the opposition have identified that he is our most creative player. They will go all out to deny him space and to stop him getting his passes away. Don't drop him, that's exactly what the opposition want us to do. It is up to the manager to devise tactics to help Tadic and get him in to space and it is up to the other players to take advantage of the room created by him being tightly marked.

If Tadic isn't playing well it's because the opposition have identified that he is our most creative player. They will go all out to deny him space and to stop him getting his passes away. Don't drop him, that's exactly what the opposition want us to do. It is up to the manager to devise tactics to help Tadic and get him in to space and it is up to the other players to take advantage of the room created by him being tightly marked.

Rubbish. I bet opposition players try and mark Messi out of the game, it doesn't work. It is up to Tadic to improve himself, he's been consistently poor for a while.

I really hope Redmond doesn't play tomorrow, getting fed up of seeing that useless pile of t.urd being played every game and bringing nothing except losing the ball continuously.

If he does i hope you watch more closely this time as that is nonsense, he loses the ball no more than anyone else..

This forum constantly moans about the lack of creativity and flair in our team and as soon as we have a player capable of that we moan about him losing the ball.
Fair enough. I was being a tad cynical. But we do need a balance: holding the ball and seeing a pass, even if it is sideways is necessary as well as having that bit of flair to beat a player or play the killer ball.

My comment about Boufal, and it also applies to Redmond to a lesser extent, is that for me, all too often when he's done something really good he spoils it either by trying to do it again and failing, or by not using the advantage gained to play a telling pass.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Fair enough. I was being a tad cynical. But we do need a balance: holding the ball and seeing a pass, even if it is sideways is necessary as well as having that bit of flair to beat a player or play the killer ball.

My comment about Boufal, and it also applies to Redmond to a lesser extent, is that for me, all too often when he's done something really good he spoils it either by trying to do it again and failing, or by not using the advantage gained to play a telling pass.

That's a fair criticism, but given that Redmond also does that and has recently been poor, I'm not sure Boufal could be do any worse.

It's also entirely possible Redmond will play well tomorrow, because he has done on occasion, mainly Jan-Mar last season. But on current form, I'm willing to see what Boufal can do with a run of games.

Edited by mrfahaji

But it's a team game and it's not just a question of putting in the theoretically best player in each position.

I agree with that logic however I don't believe anyone else in our sqaud can do any better. We could have done with someone fresh to compete with those three but as it is, there's nothing else. Putting players such as Davis, Ward-Prowse or Long there is putting players out of position.

This forum constantly moans about the lack of creativity and flair in our team and as soon as we have a player capable of that we moan about him losing the ball.

Is this about Tadic, Boufal or Redmond? :lol:

But in all seriousness, Tadic has been poor for quite a while. He also hasn't helped himself by kicking off last season ("i'm the main man, stop subbing me"), despite being regularly knackered after 60min (doing what I don't know). He also has a terrible habit of waving his arms around like someone has shot a small child every time the ball to him isn't perfect... much like Pelle.

All of this would be acceptable if his end product was good, but sadly it isn't at the moment and hasn't been for a while. He barely manages to score when he is given a gift from 12yards, he slows play down, he doesn't press, and he constantly wastes possession.

I don't want to slate the guy, and will be even handed to him in praise and criticism when in the stands... but lately he has been on the poorer side of average. It would be fair to drop him for a few games and try something new (say Boufal, Davis/JWP/Redmond).

Whatever we do, Boufal clearly has some talent and should be given a run of games given our current attacking line ups are misfiring.

Like I said, I don't want to be harsh to Tadic, but he hasn't been great lately. Time to give others a chance unless he improves. Maybe a spell out of the team may give him a chance to refocus, and give the team a chance to find a more effective style?

I agree with that logic however I don't believe anyone else in our sqaud can do any better. We could have done with someone fresh to compete with those three but as it is, there's nothing else. Putting players such as Davis, Ward-Prowse or Long there is putting players out of position.
Davis is our best #10 option.

I really dislike these and they're getting more and more prevalent during games. Clearly somebody dying at such a young age is tragic and heartbreaking, but I think these things should be separate from the actual game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess it is too much to ask that for 1 minute out of the 90 to allow people to clap to pay their respects to a fellow Saints fan. Don't understand why anyone would 'dislike' this idea.

I really dislike these and they're getting more and more prevalent during games. Clearly somebody dying at such a young age is tragic and heartbreaking, but I think these things should be separate from the actual game.

You do come across like a right arse, I have to say.

Rubbish. I bet opposition players try and mark Messi out of the game, it doesn't work. It is up to Tadic to improve himself, he's been consistently poor for a while.

He's not as good as Messi I agree. Mere mortals can be marked out of games though. Perhaps we have someone as good as Messi that I don't know about to replace him.

You have no soul. You are no saint. You disgust me.

Please ignore this troll.

RIP.

You have no soul. You are no saint. You disgust me.

Please ignore this troll.

RIP.

Why?

Because I don't like tributes during the match? I'm all for minutes silence or applause before the game or at half time, I'm all for some sort of memory wall or memorial for supporters. Where does it end, if 3 Saints fans/staff/ex players unfortunately pass away in the same week, do we clap on 24th, 62nd & 71st minute, where does it end. I believe a staff member passed away prior to the West Ham or Swansea game, why was there no tribute. Did that disgust you?

There's a broader issue about empty sentimentality in football - did the whole Premier League need a minute's silence the week after the Manchester bombing because there there were no fixtures at the time? - but local people, local fans are different. If bereaved friends and family see fit to arrange a tribute then we do it for them. And if we don't take part, we at least keep our thoughts to ourselves when people are reading what we say.

Why?

Because I don't like tributes during the match? I'm all for minutes silence or applause before the game or at half time, I'm all for some sort of memory wall or memorial for supporters. Where does it end, if 3 Saints fans/staff/ex players unfortunately pass away in the same week, do we clap on 24th, 62nd & 71st minute, where does it end. I believe a staff member passed away prior to the West Ham or Swansea game, why was there no tribute. Did that disgust you?

Just imagine you are clapping to commemorate Claude Puel..that will get you through it.

I'm glad someone said this. It's just all a bit over the top for my liking. Of course it's sad for the family and friends, but I don't understand why people have to make these things so public.

I'm expecting to see the three behind Gabbiadini made up from Davis/JWP plus two from Boufal, Redmond and Tadic. For me, it's a problem that those three are too similar, and at the moment are failing to deliver.

I'd be interested to see Long started instead to add pace.

Stephens should partner Hoedt.

1. Because Yoshi is left footed, as is Hoedt, so I don't think they'd work together.

2. Stephens is better than Yoshida.

1. No he's not. He's right footed so will work fine.

2. No he's not. Yoshida is a considerably defender than Stephens.

1. No he's not. He's right footed so will work fine.

2. No he's not. Yoshida is a considerably defender than Stephens.

My bad. thought for some reason he was left footed. haha

I think there's little between them but Stephens is better on the ball whilst being a comparable CB imo.

My bad. thought for some reason he was left footed. haha

I think there's little between them but Stephens is better on the ball whilst being a comparable CB imo.

If Stephens could find himself anywhere close to the man he's supposed to be marking in the box he'd be a reasonable defender.

But he can't, so he's not.