Southampton vs. Watford build up

Pass the Dutchie

They seemed to click when they played close to each other -Gabbi's goal run coincided with Tadic playing in the no.10 role (and JWP moving to the right). Tadic is a mystery: at times he looks like he could flourish in that position; at others, indeed often, he looks like a complete fish out of water there.

I've always advocated Tadic in the 10 role but agree he's been patchy. He can thread pass. He can shield the ball, play off both sides. Sometimes isn't mobile enough and sometimes needs to move the ball quicker.

Gabbiadini wants the ball early. I've seen it in every match. He moves but doesn't get the ball. I posted a while back something which struck me as excellent advice. Guardiola advised Romeo, always look long first. If you look long you'll see the long ball and the short ball. If you look short you see only the short ball. It's advice our team would do well to follow in any circumstances but especially if we are to play to Gabbiadin's strengths.

Good advice.

(I assume you mean look long, not Long.)

Which is not much use considering we have very little presence in the air from our front line. I don't want to see endless crosses into an opposition box containing one (two if you are lucky) saints players and half a dozen opposition players. We are much better when we play to feet or get to the byline and put in low cutbacks.

Yes, what happened to our chant 'We're Saints we play on the ground?'

Gabbiadini wants the ball early. I've seen it in every match. He moves but doesn't get the ball. I posted a while back something which struck me as excellent advice. Guardiola advised Romeo, always look long first. If you look long you'll see the long ball and the short ball. If you look short you see only the short ball. It's advice our team would do well to follow in any circumstances but especially if we are to play to Gabbiadin's strengths.

I agree. Gabbi's off the ball movement is intelligent and I think that Romeo, Lamina and Davis are our best bets to fed this.

For Watford game I would drop Tadic in favour of Long. Watford will try and create a hurried match and Long's pace will be handy. Tadic has been poor so far in my opinion.

So 4-2-3-1 with Redmond, Long and Davis supporting Gabbi. No other changes and would tell Yoshi and Stephens that they have possession of the shirt and should keep on bagging clean sheets.

When will Yoshida and Lemina be back from international duty? Both are playing in long haul locations so that might impact selection, we've almost certainly got more first team players involved in games than Watford will.

Watford only have a couple of hundred tickets left from the 3300 allocation so looks set to be another sell out with not many home end left. Impressive to start the season with three sell outs.

Sure have. Saints v Arsenal, Boxing Day - handed their arses to them on a plate 4-0 Saints. Cuco's amazing strike, but Long and Mané played in a 4-4-2. Brilliant stuff. Best performance from us at home in a very long time :)

There two big central defenders didn't know what to do. Ball played on the deck through the middle with pace running onto it. If that's the result of 4-4-2 I'm all for it. Gets my vote :)

And therein lies the rub.

What's the definition of madness, doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome isn't it? Bearing that in mind I'd go for 2 up top. It can not be a coincidence that we get deja vue every home game. Away is slightly different, but I have no confidence that anything will change, unless we make it.

In pretty keen on a back 3 to get 2 strikers, but it can be a shambles if not worked on properly. Therefore I'd go 4-3-1-2.

Keeper (unfortunately) & full backs pick themselves. Not sure which centre halves will be fit, and haven't seen Wes play.

I'd have a narrow midfield 3 of OR, Lemina & Davo. Tadic in the 10 with Charlie & Gabbi up top. Personally I prefer Long to Charlie as he's quicker, but he can't finish and he may have played 2 full games this week. The watch out is that Charlie & Gabbi don't try to make the same runs (Charlie's being slower), but they're both pretty intelligent players, so should be able to work it out. I'm pretty confident those 2 will bury chances around the box.

On paper there looks like a lack of width, but at home the full backs can give us that, provided OR plays like he did last season.

I doubt very much whether we'll change much from the normal formation , with Redmond & Tadic either side of Gabbi, & Davo in the 10. But we're struggling for goals at home and Austin knows where the net is. I wouldn't play him away and wouldn't play him against top sides, but when we're going to dominate the ball, let's get him on the pitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the definition of madness, doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome isn't it? Bearing that in mind I'd go for 2 up top. It can not be a coincidence that we get deja vue every home game. Away is slightly different, but I have no confidence that anything will change, unless we make it.

In pretty keen on a back 3 to get 2 strikers, but it can be a shambles if not worked on properly. Therefore I'd go 4-3-1-2.

Keeper (unfortunately) & full backs pick themselves. Not sure which centre halves will be fit, and haven't seen Wes play.

I'd have a narrow midfield 3 of OR, Lemina & Davo. Tadic in the 10 with Charlie & Gabbi up top. Personally I prefer Long to Charlie as he's quicker, but he can't finish and he may have played 2 full games this week. The watch out is that Charlie & Gabbi don't try to make the same runs (Charlie's being slower), but they're both pretty intelligent players, so should be able to work it out. I'm pretty confident those 2 will bury chances around the box.

On paper there looks like a lack of width, but at home the full backs can give us that, provided OR plays like he did last season.

I doubt very much whether we'll change much from the normal formation , with Redmond & Tadic either side of Gabbi, & Davo in the 10. But we're struggling for goals at home and Austin knows where the net is. I wouldn't play him away and wouldn't play him against top sides, but when we're going to dominate the ball, let's get him on the pitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We still need to get it to him where he can make space 1 on 1 or 1 on 2 with the defenders though or he'll only have half-chances at best. This means (as always) getting the ball up quickly before the other side have set themselves in an organised wall and from what I've seen of Silva's teams they are organised.

Problem is that football coaches are very poor at coaching .....

We need 'sport coaches' who are from other sports and often much more aware of details than 'football people'

I used to be impressed by how much players improved wih us but since Eric Black took over as first team coach, that has been reversed and players seem to be getting worse. As the main reason he was appointed was because he spoke French, perhaps it's time to replace him.

I used to be impressed by how much players improved wih us but since Eric Black took over as first team coach, that has been reversed and players seem to be getting worse. As the main reason he was appointed was because he spoke French, perhaps it's time to replace him.

Apart from Yoshida, who came on leaps and bounds last season, Romeu who arguably became our best player, McQueen who seems to have jumped ahead of Targett into 2nd choice despite not being a RB at the start of the year, Ward-Prowse who had his best season last year, Stephens who despite still being shaky and positionally awkward at the back, really grew into the team and Redmond, who got better as the season went on, sure.

Obviously, I think Puel was a major factor in all of these improvements as he is famously good at coaching and developing players, but it all happened with Eric Black on the coaching team too, contrary to your point.

When will Yoshida and Lemina be back from international duty? Both are playing in long haul locations so that might impact selection, we've almost certainly got more first team players involved in games than Watford will.

Watford only have a couple of hundred tickets left from the 3300 allocation so looks set to be another sell out with not many home end left. Impressive to start the season with three sell outs.

Yoshida is playing in Saudi Arabia tomorrow night. He'll be fine for the weekend; he'll be back in the country by Wednesday evening I expect after a not-too-strenuous flight and there's no reason why he can't train normally on Thursday and Friday.

Lemina is playing in Ivory Coast tomorrow night. Same applies to him but with less of a time difference between Ivory Coast and here than between Saudi and here.

Basically, there's no reason why they shouldn't both play.

Yup, Les Reed was all set to announce our new striker Kate Middleton, and then she goes and gets herself pregnant.

Well, two of my team have had babies over the break and both of them want to get back to playing this season and have signed on! She should be ok for next season then.

Apart from Yoshida, who came on leaps and bounds last season, Romeu who arguably became our best player, McQueen who seems to have jumped ahead of Targett into 2nd choice despite not being a RB at the start of the year, Ward-Prowse who had his best season last year, Stephens who despite still being shaky and positionally awkward at the back, really grew into the team and Redmond, who got better as the season went on, sure.

Obviously, I think Puel was a major factor in all of these improvements as he is famously good at coaching and developing players, but it all happened with Eric Black on the coaching team too, contrary to your point.

I really haven't noticed these improvements you see in Redmond, McQueen and Stephens. Romeu is the same as ever. Yoshida is playing well this season but that's relative to the other players who have mostly got worse so maybe he's just stayed the same as he is old enough not to be influenced much by coaching. We'd be better off without Ward-Prowse. He wastes all of our goalscoring opportunities from free-kicks and slows our game down, which is why Pellegrino doesn't play him. Our finishing has continued to get worse and most of our players have deteriorated: Tadic, Forster, Davis, Long, Austin, Bertrand etc. So, I really don't see your point.

We'll stick with Gabbiadini right? Hope so, he'll score goals if we create. Never understand why we sub him so often. Would like to see late chances falling to him rather than anyone else.

Would go JWP right, Tadic left and either Redmond or Boufal central. But guessing it'll be Davis. Good player, but Lemina/Romeu/Davis is too negative for home games.

Redmond right, Tadic left, boufal number 10

People get so simplistic about team selection, then get surprised when we fail to score again. A lot of players have pace, few have pace and the ability to cause damage to the opposition with it. It's not everything, far better to have decent footballers than pure sprinters.

Tadic has been a good player for us as a left winger since he signed. He can see across the pitch more, can choose to cut in or go outside, can cross more and is more often in the creative role than having to finish. He also works very well with Bertrand on the left.

JWP has played well on the right, can delivery well and links well with Cedric. If you have those full backs behind them you'll get pace and intelligent link up play, decent delivery from both sides and more chances for Gabbiadini.

Playing Redmond or Boufal off Gabbiadini will offer some pace in attack anyway, and makes it easy to switch for Davis or another forward if you want to go more defensive or attacking.

Alternatively, just pick the 11 fastest and hope for the best.

This is very tactically and personnel aware message.

These are the ONLY positions in which JWP and Tadic are effective. If you don't play them there then don't play them.

Puel was an expert at working out the best positions and tactics for the team, then changing it all completely for the next game.

I have said it before and I will say it again we are making very similar naive decisions now and the common dominator is Black...

I just don't see any evidence that he is not having a strong influence on strategies again this season....

This is very tactically and personnel aware message. Que?

These are the ONLY positions in which JWP and Tadic are effective. If you don't play them there then don't play them. Ok. Next.

Puel was an expert at working out the best positions and tactics for the team, then changing it all completely for the next game. Not very expert then.

I have said it before and I will say it again we are making very similar naive decisions now and the common dominator is Black... I understood from reading up about Pellegrino rather than just getting stuff from thin air that he wasn't in many ways too dissimilar to Puel.

I just don't see any evidence that he is not having a strong influence on strategies again this season....

Do you see any evidence that he does? Do you have any evidence? No, probably not. Probably more to do with the fact that most managers now seem to be identikit and all do the same thing. Ferguson probably wouldn't. He'd probably have the team that won the most things too. As to the decisions we make, this isn't American football: the players are meant to actually be able to do things without a huddle every 30 seconds in order to be told what to do.

As to the post you replied to. I do hope they're not suggesting using Redmond in the middle as a number 10. Much rather have Boufal there. Bring Redmond off the bench if we're going to persist with Tadic which I wouldn't.

how many more times!!!!!....................you cant play Tadic, Redmond and Boufal at the same time..............it does not work

looks exciting on paper, really poor in practice

just play Boufal in place of Tadic for the next 5 games and see how that develops.

Tadic is soooo annoying plenty of talent very little ever seen

cant take a penalty for toffees , cant hit the target from more than 3 yards

he`s had his chance give him a rest and tell him that unless he takes his chance when he is picked next that he no longer has a future with us.

not sure of how I would set my team up but I would like to see us play with 2 strikers at home against anyone but the big 5

we must take the initiative at home and really get at these mid to lower table teams

must get rid of this most boring team to watch in the premier league since 2015 stat.........as revealed on TalkSh1t

how many more times!!!!!....................you cant play Tadic, Redmond and Boufal at the same time..............it does not work

looks exciting on paper, really poor in practice

just play Boufal in place of Tadic for the next 5 games and see how that develops.

Tadic is soooo annoying plenty of talent very little ever seen

cant take a penalty for toffees , cant hit the target from more than 3 yards

he`s had his chance give him a rest and tell him that unless he takes his chance when he is picked next that he no longer has a future with us.

not sure of how I would set my team up but I would like to see us play with 2 strikers at home against anyone but the big 5

we must take the initiative at home and really get at these mid to lower table teams

must get rid of this most boring team to watch in the premier league since 2015 stat.........as revealed on TalkSh1t

Apparently Tadic played quite well for Serbia yesterday. So he can't just be rubbish, or going through a bad run of form. Suggests a more inherent problem with our tactics/style, especially as Tadic isn't the only forward player to look uninterested, isolated or out of ideas.

Having said that, I agree that Boufal should have a run. Probably in place of Tadic for 1 or 2 games (not 5 - keep Boufal in but mix up who he replaces), but Redmond is an equally viable candidate!

Apparently Tadic played quite well for Serbia yesterday. So he can't just be rubbish, or going through a bad run of form. Suggests a more inherent problem with our tactics/style, especially as Tadic isn't the only forward player to look uninterested, isolated or out of ideas.

Having said that, I agree that Boufal should have a run. Probably in place of Tadic for 1 or 2 games (not 5 - keep Boufal in but mix up who he replaces), but Redmond is an equally viable candidate!

Tadic has everything in his locker, bar consistency (and a good penalty!). If we're honest, that's why he plays for us and not a top European club.

That said, he is one of my favourite players in the current squad.

Tadic has everything in his locker, bar consistency (and a good penalty!). If we're honest, that's why he plays for us and not a top European club.

That said, he is one of my favourite players in the current squad.

Yep, I rate him. We miss his creativity when he's not playing or not performing. Unfortunately there's no denying he hasn't been great for a while, though I think it's more of a team rather than individual problem. That being said, I wouldn't mind resting/dropping him for a game or two and see if Boufal can find his feet.