WBA v Saints - 5th Round FA Cup Thread

Edmonton Saint

I'd cross check that with a few Wigan, Pompey and Birmingham fans.
Why does anyone need to do that?

I'd take relegation and winning the FA Cup all day long and twice on Sundays. I'd take relegation and winning the league cup to be honest. I just want us to have some actual "honours". I wanted that when I used to look at our page in the Panini books in the 80s and I still think it now. Why have we won f uck all?

I'm fairly certain none of them would trade their cup wins for being in the premier league.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

And Wigan having a great season again this year. More exciting than seeing whether you can get 40pts or 14th in league.

Actually know couple of Birmingham fans who dint give a sh1t about relegation either as had got sick of PL and we’re hoping to win more games,

I don’t actually care about the PL either but we all said similar things last time we were relegated. ‘It’ll be great to be winning loads of games, blood some promising youngsters, etc.etc.’ .... then we ended up with Chris bloody Makin.

It’s not the relegation that bothers me, it’s the fact that all our half decent players will leave, we’ll see minimal reinvestment and are as likely to go down to League 1 as come straight back up. Les will probably stick with MoPe because he doesn’t want to make any ‘rash decisions’.

Each to their own but IMO a trophy isn’t worth years of dogsh*t football.

I don’t actually care about the PL either but we all said similar things last time we were relegated. ‘It’ll be great to be winning loads of games, blood some promising youngsters, etc.etc.’ .... then we ended up with Chris bloody Makin.

It’s not the relegation that bothers me, it’s the fact that all our half decent players will leave, we’ll see minimal reinvestment and are as likely to go down to League 1 as come straight back up. Les will probably stick with MoPe because he doesn’t want to make any ‘rash decisions’.

Each to their own but IMO a trophy isn’t worth years of dogsh*t football.

You're right. I mean how could a season or two in the Championship compare to the exquisite and supreme delights of the world class Premier League football we've seen in the last eighteen months.

Just let us win a cup and I can cope with anything else.

There was a suggestion on Twitter for all Saints fans going to this game to unite and stay in the concourse for the first 10mins as a protest against the manager and board. I thought this was a great idea and would look good on TV. Do you think this could be done?

anyone know of:

decent pubs in the vicinity of the ground

and

free parking nearby?

cheers

The Vine is a good pub to go to, also like some in the Jewellery Quarter.

As for free parking, I cannot say much but could always park in Birmingham and get a train or something- don't know much about that one!

anyone know of:

and

free parking nearby?

cheers

I always go to the Island Inn. Parking is free, football on the TV, 20 mins walk to the ground, decent curry and cheap beer. Never seen another Saints fan in there.

The Vine is a good pub to go to, also like some in the Jewellery Quarter.

As for free parking, I cannot say much but could always park in Birmingham and get a train or something- don't know much about that one!

Couldn't get in the Vine 2 weeks ago ? Very strange as been in the for the past few seasons. Will prob try again Saturday. Always tend to park the motorway side of the ground, you have to walk right round the ground to get back to your car after the game but once your back your more or less off and away. See you there ;)

W. Brom are not coming back from a trip to Barcelona until Friday, and the Telegraph claims many players are unhappy with the trip.

The Telegraph also claims that Pardew’s “methods and management” are causing some friction in he squad.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/02/13/west-brom-sack-chariman-chief-exec-alan-pardew-safe-now/

That does seem odd, a Tuesday to Friday trip to Barcelona before playing a match on Saturday, perhaps they are planning on resting a few in the cup, although that would go against Pardew who in the past has gone for it in the cups.

The game is almost a distraction for both teams and one of us is going to find ourselves in the 1/4 finals one win away from Wembley.

You're right. I mean how could a season or two in the Championship compare to the exquisite and supreme delights of the world class Premier League football we've seen in the last eighteen months.

Just let us win a cup and I can cope with anything else.

A season or two in the Championship. Yeah, we said that last time too.

Win the cup and get relegated? **** yes.

Next season don’t sell anyone and play the expensive mob in the Championship and in Europe. Play the kids in the two

domestic cups.

Go straight back up: it’s happy days. Fail to go straight back up: have a fire sale, give the kids a chance, and enjoy going to Leeds, Nottingham and Bristol for a few years.

A season or two in the Championship. Yeah, we said that last time too.
Fine by me. I live in Derby, they've been in the Championship for years. Still have loads of passionate fans. Two games a week loads of times through the season. Packed out Boxing Day.

The only thing if truly miss if we went down is streaming.

Man up.

anyone know of:

and

free parking nearby?

cheers

Last season we parked on Devereux Road which has no restrictions.

Directions are off the M5 at Junc 1, 1st left into Roebuck Street, left at The Vine pub into Roebuck Lane then right into Devereux Road. The Vine pub was very busy.

To get to the ground walk to the dead end of Roebuck Lane into the subway under the M5 and then walk along the path by the side of the train track until it meets Halfords Lane then up to the ground, quite an easy walk taking 15 to 20 mins.

Getting away afterwards was fairly easy taking Salisbury Road to the High Street and along to Junc 1 but you can also take Roebuck Lane depending which end of Devereux Road you are parked. It is busy but did'nt take long to get onto the motorway.

Last season we parked on Devereux Road which has no restrictions.

Directions are off the M5 at Junc 1 from the South, 1st left into Roebuck Street, left at The Vine pub into Roebuck Lane then right into Devereux Road. The Vine pub was very busy.

To get to the ground walk to the dead end of Roebuck Lane into the subway under the M5 and then walk along the path by the side of the train track until it meets Halfords Lane then up to the ground, quite an easy walk taking 15 to 20 mins.

Getting away afterwards was fairly easy taking Salisbury Road to the High Street and along to Junc 1 but you can also take Roebuck Lane depending which end of Devereux Road you are parked. It is busy but did'nt take long to get onto the motorway.

The directions to get to Devereux Road are coming from the South.

Fine by me. I live in Derby, they've been in the Championship for years. Still have loads of passionate fans. Two games a week loads of times through the season. Packed out Boxing Day.

The only thing if truly miss if we went down is streaming.

Man up.

It’s fine if you’re Derby. What about Coventry, Bradford, Charlton, Pompey, Sunderland, Bolton, Blackburn or Blackpool? Would a couple of relegations, administration and being bought out by SISU in the bottom half of League 1 be worth it for a Cup win at Wembley?

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love a cup win. I’d be over the moon for about a week.

It’s fine if you’re Derby. What about Coventry, Bradford, Charlton, Pompey, Sunderland, Bolton, Blackburn or Blackpool? Would a couple of relegations, administration and being bought out by SISU in the bottom half of League 1 be worth it for a Cup win at Wembley?

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love a cup win. I’d be over the moon for about a week.

Yeah, I think you missed the man up bit. Give it a try.

All of those things could happen if we don't win a cup.

Seeing as no club from outside the top flight has won the fa cup since 79/80 Think it's pretty obvious we stand a better chance of winning something by actually being in the top league no?

As Lighthouse is basically saying going down doesn't mean we will somehow win things. Even games in the championship. Of the 184 championship games we played last time we went down we won a grand total of 57 games. Oh the fun we had.

Seeing as no club from outside the top flight has won the fa cup since 79/80 Think it's pretty obvious we stand a better chance of winning something by actually being in the top league no?

As Lighthouse is basically saying going down doesn't mean we will somehow win things. Even games in the championship. Of the 184 championship games we played last time we went down we won a grand total of 57 games. Oh the fun we had.

Who is saying that we need to go down to win things? (Clue: absolutely no one).

The discussion is about win a cup + get relegated in the same season which has happened to clubs in recent memory so is a not unrealistic possibility.

Also, we've won just 5 games in the league this season so god knows what point you're making.

Yeah, I think you missed the man up bit. Give it a try.

All of those things could happen if we don't win a cup.

I don't get how 'manning up' comes into this, when all you're actually saying is 'agree with my opinion'. Then start going on about how we could be relegated and don't win a cup, well that wasn't the question.

You'd take relegation if offered it in exchange for a cup win, I wouldn't. That's all.

I don't get how 'manning up' comes into this, when all you're actually saying is 'agree with my opinion'. Then start going on about how we could be relegated and don't win a cup, well that wasn't the question.

You'd take relegation if offered it in exchange for a cup win, I wouldn't. That's all.

But we could stay up this season, and then next season have an even worse season, finish bottom and then we could instantly turn into Charlton and Blackpool and Coventry and waah waaah waah waah waah.

Man up.

But we could stay up this season, and then next season have an even worse season, finish bottom and then we could instantly turn into Charlton and Blackpool and Coventry and waah waaah waah waah waah.

Man up.

So you would be happy to be a really poor team for a longtime if it meant we won a cup?

Personally I'd rather be a good team in the PL than win a cup.

Winning a cup would be nice don't get me wrong but if you said to me would I be happy with swapping with any of those teams you mention for a cup day I would say no.

Using Sheff Weds as an example I am pretty sure most of them would give up their 1991 win to be playing top flight football which they haven't done for almost 20 years now.

So you would be happy to be a really poor team for a longtime if it meant we won a cup?

Personally I'd rather be a good team in the PL than win a cup.

Winning a cup would be nice don't get me wrong but if you said to me would I be happy with swapping with any of those teams you mention for a cup day I would say no.

Using Sheff Weds as an example I am pretty sure most of them would give up their 1991 win to be playing top flight football which they haven't done for almost 20 years now.

Pretty sure if you asked a Sheffield Wednesday fan that, they'd look at you like you were some kind of retard.

But hats off on delivering the most spectacular of responses to what is a pretty straightforward hypothetical question. The question is relegation and winning the cup THIS season. Whatever happens after that is just for the winds of fate. Because, you see, we could get relegated anyway.

Really, really fu cking simple. Keep up.

Ask any Wigan fan and they'll say winning the cup. Even most Birmingham fans will take the League Cup win for their current position.

We have a disgustingly poor record at winning trophies. I'd take the FA Cup followed by 10 years bumbling around the lower leagues any day over what might be just one more season in the top flight.

Man up.

Or we could stay up, get a new manager and win the cup next season. Pick any scenario you like, I'm simply giving my opinion on the straight forward choice posed in the original question.

Winning a cup would be lovely but would only really put us on par with Wigan, Brum, Pompey, Swansea and Boro. Telling other fans about how great we are because we won the cup 2, 5 or 10 years ago holds little appeal to me personally.

I (used to) go to games because I enjoyed watching Saints play football. I haven't enjoyed this season at all TBH, the West Ham game aside. Given that the teams relegated last season are currently 9th, 21st and 23rd, there's a fair chance I won't enjoy next season, if we go down.

Or we could stay up, get a new manager and win the cup next season. Pick any scenario you like, I'm simply giving my opinion on the straight forward choice posed in the original question.

Winning a cup would be lovely but would only really put us on par with Wigan, Brum, Pompey, Swansea and Boro. Telling other fans about how great we are because we won the cup 2, 5 or 10 years ago holds little appeal to me personally.

I (used to) go to games because I enjoyed watching Saints play football. I haven't enjoyed this season at all TBH, the West Ham game aside. Given that the teams relegated last season are currently 9th, 21st and 23rd, there's a fair chance I won't enjoy next season, if we go down.

Didn't we win it over 40 years ago? Other fans don't care about that either.

I want us to win this, however I find myself strangely ambivalent and not really excited by it. I guess it will be shown on tv or at least streamed...might watch it, but if I miss it I’ll not lose sleep. The worry is more over whether a loss will further erode any little confidence held in the squad - a real concern.

Well said, been a fan since 72 and although these last two seasons have been dire I will still be there next season as it's my passion.

spot on mate i've seen many ups and downs since i started going in late 60's

instead of people complaing they should try getting behind the team support for league game at West Brom was excellent, but seems too many seem to have given up already;less than a thousand currently going to Burnley and loads still left for Newcastle.

At times like these in vital away games away support can make a big difference, certainly more effective than sitting at home complaining on the web

I would shove the reserves out for this one, we need the distraction of the cup like a hole in the head at the moment.

We haven't got another game for a week so don't understand why you'd possibly put the reserves out. Surely be better to play full team, win and gain some confidence? Play on the front foot, attack, and show the manager the benefit of not playing defensively to not get beat.

I might have a sims or hesketh on the bench, but would go for as strong a starting 11 as possible.

We haven't got another game for a week so don't understand why you'd possibly put the reserves out. Surely be better to play full team, win and gain some confidence? Play on the front foot, attack, and show the manager the benefit of not playing defensively to not get beat.

I might have a sims or hesketh on the bench, but would go for as strong a starting 11 as possible.

I usually agree but we are staring relegation in the face and think it can be a distraction. Not so much the game Saturday but the next round and any replays. Plus there are injuries and suspensions.

I was annoyed when Poch blew of the cup games because we were sat mid-table but now it would make sense - we are not going to win anything with crusty the clown in charge - we will get a round or two further then get dicked by the first half decent side we play.

As for confidence, putting out the reses didn't do Bournemouth any harm. Howe rested his first XI v Wigan then the beat Arsenal the following match, rested them again for the replay (which they got stuffed in) then the drew away at West Ham, beat Chelsea way and Stoke at home.

I usually agree but we are staring relegation in the face and think it can be a distraction. Not so much the game Saturday but the next round and any replays. Plus there are injuries and suspensions.

I was annoyed when Poch blew of the cup games because we were sat mid-table but now it would make sense - we are not going to win anything with crusty the clown in charge - we will get a round or two further then get dicked by the first half decent side we play.

As for confidence, putting out the reses didn't do Bournemouth any harm. Howe rested his first XI v Wigan then the beat Arsenal the following match, rested them again for the replay (which they got stuffed in) then the drew away at West Ham, beat Chelsea way and Stoke at home.

I do take your point, but when we next go out at burnley I'd rather have players who have a game in their legs and some confidence. If they're rested the last footballing experience will be 2 weeks old and one of the most abject 45 minutes of football in living memory.

You're right in that the distraction is not now, but later on. So play the first team now and let the reserves lose 8-0 to city in the 6th round (or whatever). And the Bournemouth analogy isn't great in that they rested players due to fixture congestion which we don't have now, but might have later on. Again, play the reserves when fixtures start building up, but not now when we need a confidence boost. All IMHO of course.

Don’t understand how the FA Cup can be a ‘distraction’. Winning is winning, and I’ll take a win over the worst team in the league all day long. Hopefully two consecutive away wins will convince the team that they’re good enough to go to somewhere like Burnley and get a result.