Nathan Redmond

Dusic

Interestingly, via WhoScored.com Redmond has the highest number of completed dribbles in the PL this season. Not bad for a poor player with no end product.

The problem is that some people, possibly those with lower intelligence, just decide they like or dislike a player and don't actually watch how those players change over time. Quite clearly, Redmond is playing as well as he ever has done at Saints. He has probably been our Player of the Season so far. He knows he needs to score (has hit the bar twice in the last week or so) but that will come IMO as he is playing with increased confidence, as stated in his interview in the programme recently.

At the moment, IMO, he is the first name on the teamsheet alongside Lemina, and is the player we would miss the most if he were unavailable.

-------------------------------

Fast-forward to 2018/19 and the swagger is returning. Still with room for improvement – he is yet to score this season – but, more important than any statistic, he feels liberated.

“I feel like I’m in a more positive way of thinking, in terms of getting at players,” Redmond explains, as he goes into detail about the psychological change.

“I don’t feel I’m afraid to mess up or not get past somebody. I feel like I’ve overcome that point that I was in – especially last season where I was almost afraid to take somebody on, in the fear that I might lose the ball.

“My confidence was low, on and off the pitch, but I’m at a place now that I’m literally thinking as soon as I get the ball: what are my strengths? And then just doing it.

“I feel like I’m happy with my form, but at the same time I’m not happy with it. I’ve created a lot of chances for the team, but I had an expectation that I would have a couple of goals under my belt and a few more assists, because I’ve only got two in the cup.

“It’s about managing my own expectations and not letting them frustrate me to a point where I’m back in a place where I was last year.”

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2018-12-01/programme-interview-preview-nathan-redmond-saints-vs-man-utd-premier-league-1819

-----------------------------------

Most successful dribbles in Premier League:

Nathan Redmond 38

Eden Hazard 37

Wilfried Zaha 34

Adama Traoré 32

Mohamed Salah 30

Aaron Wan-Bissaka 29

Leroy Sané 28

Paul Pogba 27

Willian 25

Andros Townsend 24

This is basically it, yeah. But I have to say Redmond gets more of a free ticket than most and has never produced anything to suggest he's a competent Prem midfielder.

Redmond gets a free ticket in what world? He must be one of our most criticized players in recent years last season he got booed practically every game he played at home.

Quite clearly, Redmond is playing as well as he ever has done at Saints.

Disagree, I don't think he has improved at all, possibly gone backwards, he looks no better than the player who was in and out of a struggling Norwich team. He had moments of good play, and that is all he has now, occasional moments of good play but generally fails to do very much at all.

Both JWP and Redmond about 2 years ago got England caps, everyone expected them to kick on from there, they haven't, if anything they have gone backwards and they are both now nearly in their mid 20s where they should be approaching their potential. They aren't, they are decidedly average PL players IMO.

Yeh he dribbles a lot, we have seen that, but unlike many names in that list he does very little with the ball afterwards, his ability to pick out a pass, deliver a cross, finish a chance, etc. etc. is poor, he lacks football brain, vision and the decision making. Which can't be excused with youth anymore, he is not the rash teenage winger who will get better with time, he's 24, he has over 250 games under his belt, and he is fast becoming another Nathan Dyer/Routledge style player.

Disagree, I don't think he has improved at all, possibly gone backwards, he looks no better than the player who was in and out of a struggling Norwich team. He had moments of good play, and that is all he has now, occasional moments of good play but generally fails to do very much at all.

Both JWP and Redmond about 2 years ago got England caps, everyone expected them to kick on from there, they haven't, if anything they have gone backwards and they are both now nearly in their mid 20s where they should be approaching their potential. They aren't, they are decidedly average PL players IMO.

Yeh he dribbles a lot, we have seen that, but unlike many names in that list he does very little with the ball afterwards, his ability to pick out a pass, deliver a cross, finish a chance, etc. etc. is poor, he lacks football brain, vision and the decision making. Which can't be excused with youth anymore, he is not the rash teenage winger who will get better with time, he's 24, he has over 250 games under his belt, and he is fast becoming another Nathan Dyer/Routledge style player.

disagree with that he has gone backwards...

id say last season he hit rock bottom, and whilst he hasn't reached the 2016-17 standard we saw (which wasn't all that anyway), the only way is up...

i don't think he'll ever be a top 6 player, just lacks the brain and decision making for me

Don’t see how anyone can say he’s gone backwards. Last year it felt like playing with 10 at times, this year I get excited when he’s on the ball as he seems to beat his man almost every time he gets the ball - last year he wouldn’t even try to, he’d jockey and drop a shoulder and then turn back and pass it to a teammate. His final ball is lacking at times still, but sometimes his options are extremely limited. Improving but needs to improve further is how i’d class him this season. Definitely worth his place.

Now now Nick that's just being sexist boys can do gushing worship as well.

In fact when I was around 16-18 I used to do a lot of gushing worship mostly over the pages of Razzle magazine...

IAs if you stopped after 16-18 lol . Sian Adey Jones in the days of Page 3, but such things are seen to be frowned up on now.

Interestingly, via WhoScored.com Redmond has the highest number of completed dribbles in the PL this season. Not bad for a poor player with no end product.

The problem is that some people, possibly those with lower intelligence, just decide they like or dislike a player and don't actually watch how those players change over time. Quite clearly, Redmond is playing as well as he ever has done at Saints. He has probably been our Player of the Season so far. He knows he needs to score (has hit the bar twice in the last week or so) but that will come IMO as he is playing with increased confidence, as stated in his interview in the programme recently.

At the moment, IMO, he is the first name on the teamsheet alongside Lemina, and is the player we would miss the most if he were unavailable.

-------------------------------

Fast-forward to 2018/19 and the swagger is returning. Still with room for improvement – he is yet to score this season – but, more important than any statistic, he feels liberated.

“I feel like I’m in a more positive way of thinking, in terms of getting at players,” Redmond explains, as he goes into detail about the psychological change.

“I don’t feel I’m afraid to mess up or not get past somebody. I feel like I’ve overcome that point that I was in – especially last season where I was almost afraid to take somebody on, in the fear that I might lose the ball.

“My confidence was low, on and off the pitch, but I’m at a place now that I’m literally thinking as soon as I get the ball: what are my strengths? And then just doing it.

“I feel like I’m happy with my form, but at the same time I’m not happy with it. I’ve created a lot of chances for the team, but I had an expectation that I would have a couple of goals under my belt and a few more assists, because I’ve only got two in the cup.

“It’s about managing my own expectations and not letting them frustrate me to a point where I’m back in a place where I was last year.”

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2018-12-01/programme-interview-preview-nathan-redmond-saints-vs-man-utd-premier-league-1819

-----------------------------------

Most successful dribbles in Premier League:

Nathan Redmond 38

Eden Hazard 37

Wilfried Zaha 34

Adama Traoré 32

Mohamed Salah 30

Aaron Wan-Bissaka 29

Leroy Sané 28

Paul Pogba 27

Willian 25

Andros Townsend 24

He has no end product because uh, he's produced nothing (0 goals and assists). Those stats are also bull**** when you consider that he's been successful with exactly half of his dribbling attempts (stats I've already produced). It's that simple. And if you think otherwise, you're the one severely lacking in intelligence.

Also, 'playing as well as he ever has', is hardly ****ing high praise is it.

I guess some people are impressed with mediocrity.

He has no end product because uh, he's produced nothing (0 goals and assists). Those stats are also bull**** when you consider that he's been successful with exactly half of his dribbling attempts (stats I've already produced). It's that simple. And if you think otherwise, you're the one severely lacking in intelligence.

Also, 'playing as well as he ever has', is hardly ****ing high praise is it.

I guess some people are impressed with mediocrity.

Anybody who looks at stats and tries to use those in an argument isn't that clever either. They are a guide only.

Anybody who looks at stats and tries to use those in an argument isn't that clever either. They are a guide only.

But that is false, cause the stats tell me he has not assisted a single goal in the EPL, and we look, its true. We look at distance covered, dribbles made and failed, passing, key passes, chances from free kicks corners, all this you can clearly see and you also see the same on the pitch.

The stats tell me that Redmond is good at...………….. Wait for it...…..

Dribbling.

Big list right?

But that is false, cause the stats tell me he has not assisted a single goal in the EPL, and we look, its true. We look at distance covered, dribbles made and failed, passing, key passes, chances from free kicks corners, all this you can clearly see and you also see the same on the pitch.

Dribbling.

Big list right?

Pretty sure he has created goals twice in our last three leagues games. Not recorded as an assist officially as it wasn't the last touch before the goal (arbitrary definition) - but we certainly wouldn't have scored either without his input.

Assist for Armstrong at Fulham

Assist for Armstrong vs Utd

Both incidentally created through dribbling, especially the United one which was excellent.

At the moment Redmond and Lemina would be the first names on the teamsheet, unless you disagree?

Assist for Armstrong vs Utd

Went through that one further up, claiming he created that goal is just wrong, he cut inside, went past one player, got lucky the ball bounced back to him after a tackle and then did a 4 yard pass to Obafemi, who had his back to goal and 4 Utd defender behind him, Obafemi then created the goal.

This -

Cm2ACp7.png

Is not creating a goal scoring opportunity IMO.

While I don't disagree with the sentiment of your post - he certainly has been a lot better this season - a successful dribble isn't end product.

Dribbling.

Big list right?

Well you keep looking at the stats, Im sure it gives you a proper insight to footballing skills and what someone gives to a team. I will watch with my own eyes and take warmth from the fact that one of footballs current top managers thought of him.

I listened to Saintspodcast and it seems that JWP was wanted by Leipzig and that the new manager may want to utilise him now.

Went through that one further up, claiming he created that goal is just wrong, he cut inside, went past one player, got lucky the ball bounced back to him after a tackle and then did a 4 yard pass to Obafemi, who had his back to goal and 4 Utd defender behind him, Obafemi then created the goal.

But we don't get in that position without Redmond being positive and running at their defence. I appreciate it's a grey area, because everything is connected in football - maybe the person who passed it to Redmond should also get an assist, and the person before that etc - but I think it's unfair to dismiss his contribution in this case because it was because of Redmond that we ended up in their box rather than on the half way line passing it sideways.

Well you keep looking at the stats, Im sure it gives you a proper insight to footballing skills and what someone gives to a team. I will watch with my own eyes and take warmth from the fact that one of footballs current top managers thought of him.

I listened to Saintspodcast and it seems that JWP was wanted by Leipzig and that the new manager may want to utilise him now.

Ffs, you're not clinging to the fantasy that pep thinks he's great are you? He was having a go about our negative tactics, not singling Redmond out for praise.

• 2 weeks later...
He has really stepped it up this year, but is still lacking that final product at key moments (the pass/the cross etc). Hopefully he can pick that up in his game, as he'll then move into a different level.
He had it yesterday.

I think he can get into the England reckoning under this Manager.

First - lets hope he just had a knock as he is probably the one player we have no replacement for.

Huge respect for Redmond for how he's stepped up this year. He has been a totally different player all season, taking people on, getting in behind, stronger with and without the ball.

Our biggest attacking outlet right now.

yep agree finally looking like the player I thought we were getting when we signed him. I guess being dropped last season gave him a big kick up the arse. Also the improvement does seem more down to Redmond than the managers. He had improved massively even before Ralph turned up but now the rest of the team are playing better Redmond is finally getting some reward for his performances.

yep agree finally looking like the player I thought we were getting when we signed him. I guess being dropped last season gave him a big kick up the arse. Also the improvement does seem more down to Redmond than the managers. He had improved massively even before Ralph turned up but now the rest of the team are playing better Redmond is finally getting some reward for his performances.

Agree 100% here plus a few further good points above.

Remember the slating he was getting here last season?

Well, he has certainly turned it around.

I agree that that he must have taken all criticism on board and done something about it.

Exciting play AND he looks a though he is enjoying football again.

Makes himself available in attacking places and backs up to help defence.

What a change!

Cheers Nathan!

The rest of them have improved leaps an bounds too.

I think Hughes can take some credit for encouraging him to play positively and not worry if things don't come off. Pellegrino had him afraid to do anything except play the simple ball. Now Ralph is giving him the tactical instruction to take him to the next level

From what little I know he took matters into his own hands pre season (perhaps the "Pep" talk did sink in) and did extra fitness training prior to linking up with the team. From the very start of this season he has looked our best player, quicker, sharper and willing to run with the ball at defenders. His attitude has also markedly changed, no longer whinging to other team members. "Hats off" he has made a remarkable come back from a very poor last season and the appointment of Ralph has allowed this resurgence to flourish. Long may it continue, he is a talent.

Think Puel set him back with the whole "Henry" experiment and playing him out of position.

His attitude also seemed all wrong.

Fair play to him for recent form. He owes us more than 2-3 games though.

Confidence is key with this lad it seems

You mean playing him in a more central position as Ralph has been doing?

Spot on :lol:

Think Puel set him back with the whole "Henry" experiment and playing him out of position.

What is his position boss?

Hasenhuttl is playing him narrow in a three man attack with Ings and Armstrong. Plus... when Obafemi came on vs Huddersfield, Redmond changed to playing as a central striker alongside Obafemi in a pairing.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Redmond