Nathan Redmond

Dusic

• 11 months later...

Redmond needs to add a few tricks to his game. I think he has a lot more talent than he displays and perhaps it is a confidence thing. He always seems content to play everything safe which often means going backwards. There is a player in there but he needs to express himself more and drive at defenders with conviction. Take them on and he'll get into dangerous positions and cause a bit of panic. Ok, he'll lose the ball sometimes but let's see him getting on the front foot and making defenders think rather than being all too predictable and ponderous. 

• Like 2

To be fair in the first half his off the ball movement, runs and positional play were good - it was causing them problems.

But whenever he has the chance to do something with the ball he fails, almost all the time. Mis kicks a shot, passes out of play, runs into a blind ally etc. He's certainly another player who shrinks when the going gets tough, but is happy to hog the lime light when things are rosy. Where did he go second half when the chips were down?

Edited by S-Clarke

4 minutes ago, benjii said:

He makes the simple look difficult.

He does. Thought he had a good game today generally by his standards but that pass behind Ings was just shit. It was a simple pass to send him through, he found his man - as if that was enough -  but it was behind him making him slow down to collect it and completely killing the momentum of the move, just brainless.

28 minutes ago, stknowle said:

He does. Thought he had a good game today generally by his standards but that pass behind Ings was just shit. It was a simple pass to send him through, he found his man - as if that was enough -  but it was behind him making him slow down to collect it and completely killing the momentum of the move, just brainless.

That's Redmond in a nut shell for you. His decision making and final pass/shot is more often than not absolutely diabolical. He's sometimes the oppositions best defender.

He seems to overcomplicate everything and I don't know why. It's not a new thing either, this has been 5 years. This is Redmond, it won't ever change.

I'd happily sell and reinvest his money.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

To be fair in the first half his off the ball movement, runs and positional play were good - it was causing them problems.

But whenever he has the chance to do something with the ball he fails, almost all the time. Mis kicks a shot, passes out of play, runs into a blind ally etc. He's certainly another player who shrinks when the going gets tough, but is happy to hog the lime light when things are rosy. Where did he go second half when the chips were down?

Well he set up Adams with a decent chance

On 14/02/2021 at 17:56, S-Clarke said:

That's Redmond in a nut shell for you. His decision making and final pass/shot is more often than not absolutely diabolical. He's sometimes the oppositions best defender.

He seems to overcomplicate everything and I don't know why. It's not a new thing either, this has been 5 years. This is Redmond, it won't ever change.

This, he is never going to get any better because his football brain doesn't match his football skills 

• Like 3

On 14/02/2021 at 11:21, OldNick said:

Well he set up Adams with a decent chance

That was a superb cross, right on Adam's head. 

Notice that come from a rare appearance on him on the right wing. I don't know why manager after manager sticks him on the left, he's shit there. He's less shit central or on the right.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

That was a superb cross, right on Adam's head. 

Notice that come from a rare appearance on him on the right wing. I don't know why manager after manager sticks him on the left, he's shit there. He's less shit central or on the right.

That's actually a really good point.

Every manager seems to, by default, stick Redmond on the left. He's described in most places as a 'left winger'. Cut inside tactic I guess? All that does is tempt him to stop and go backwards though, at least on the right he can carry on running and then whip it on without having to stop and cut back. He is very one footed.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

That's actually a really good point.

Every manager seems to, by default, stick Redmond on the left. He's described in most places as a 'left winger'. Cut inside tactic I guess? All that does is tempt him to stop and go backwards though, at least on the right he can carry on running and then whip it on without having to stop and cut back. He is very one footed.

It's so he can do his trademark cut inside and curl it a couple yards over the top right corner of the goal. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 14/02/2021 at 16:18, S-Clarke said:

Not sure that's true at all. He was one of the few to step up a few seasons ago, and he was by far our best performing player, when others are massively underperforming.  I think he struggles with confidence when people get on his back.  He's gone from one of the first on the teamsheet, to a lengthy spell on the sidelines.

Let's not forget he won the players player, and fans player of the season in the 18/19 season.

Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Like 3

On 14/02/2021 at 17:56, S-Clarke said:

Totally agree. Should have got rid a while back. Any suitors out there, though? No, Pep does not want to buy him...

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like to criticize our own players, or as some do, openly abuse them on here, but I have to finally admit he looks like a spent force. He was appalling tonight. By far our worst player. I truly lost count of the times he gave the ball away to the opposition. He offers very little in attack these days, he's a liability defending, gives away needless fouls and he definitely bottled out of a 50/50 challenge tonight, just outside their box, which if he had won could (probably not though) have led to something promising.  Time to move him on methinks......if anyone would want him based on current form. 

• Like 1

I think Ralph is to blame in much of this because he is the one who continues to pick Redmond despite the fact that the guy is clearly suffering a complete loss of confidence. If he keeps getting picked he can only try his best - I think he is doing that but his self belief is so low he can't do anything right. The manager should take him out of the firing line and leave him on the bench.

• Like 1

I think the abuse some of our fans give him is disgraceful. I am not saying he doesn't have areas of his game that he needs to work on, but he is definitely a quality player. I actually think a lot of the criticism he receives actually come out of situations which he is instrumental in creating! The fact is that sometimes he can move the ball well from midfield towards attack and create (near) openings. Unfortunately, it is at that stage that he tends to let himself down with a weak final ball or shot.

I don't know why our fans are so scathing to some of our players. JWP received the same abuse, but is now one of the first names on the team sheet. Tadic was abused and he left to go to Ajax, taking them to near Champions League glory. Davis was abused and he returned to Scotland; and so the list goes on!

Consider this: Antonio was a hopeless lump when he played for us. His touch on the ball was dreadful and he looked to be a just a clumsy oaf. Now, however, he is scoring loads of goals for West Ham and is knocking on the door to play for England. That is what happens when a player is given confidence. Now, I believe Redmond has twice the talent and potential that Antonio had, so let's get behind him - becaue maybe, just maybe, in a few years we will be enjoying hearing the pundits tell us how much he has improved!

23 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

I think the abuse some of our fans give him is disgraceful. I am not saying he doesn't have areas of his game that he needs to work on, but he is definitely a quality player. I actually think a lot of the criticism he receives actually come out of situations which he is instrumental in creating! The fact is that sometimes he can move the ball well from midfield towards attack and create (near) openings. Unfortunately, it is at that stage that he tends to let himself down with a weak final ball or shot.

I don't know why our fans are so scathing to some of our players. JWP received the same abuse, but is now one of the first names on the team sheet. Tadic was abused and he left to go to Ajax, taking them to near Champions League glory. Davis was abused and he returned to Scotland; and so the list goes on!

Consider this: Antonio was a hopeless lump when he played for us. His touch on the ball was dreadful and he looked to be a just a clumsy oaf. Now, however, he is scoring loads of goals for West Ham and is knocking on the door to play for England. That is what happens when a player is given confidence. Now, I believe Redmond has twice the talent and potential that Antonio had, so let's get behind him - becaue maybe, just maybe, in a few years we will be enjoying hearing the pundits tell us how much he has improved!

I wouldn't describe him as a quality player, he's pretty average and truth be told playing at his level towards the bottom third of this league. We will have to do better than Redmond if we want to go any higher.

In a way, I think he sums up this team over the last 5 years. He seems to get affected by confidence really badly and shrinks so much when the going is tough (which it has been most of his time here, tbh). He seems very much a confidence player and a lot of our players are like that, which is why they all seem to struggle when the chips are down. They look great when the going is good though.

My gripe with Redmond is that he's never made the right decisions. It's all well and good making the right runs, but if you can't do anything with the ball when you get it, what's the point? His decision making and his insistence on stopping our attacks and passing it backwards are infuriating, bordering on anti football. Bar a spell in 2018/2019 that's all he's done, and it's probably confidence related more than ability as he probably has that in his locker - as we saw for a short spell in 2018.

I imagine he would be a decent squad player in a team doing well, I wouldn't want to be in the trenches with someone like Redmond though.

6 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

Or on the right. He needs to avoid the left like a vampire needs to avoid sunlight.

He was making a poor attempt at sarcasm when suggesting Redmond was played out of position and should have played centre midfield.

• 10 months later...
18 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Fair play indeed, sell him now while his stock is high ish.

I wouldn't sell him, instead get another player in that position who is better and have Redmond as back up/rotation.

The players to get rid of are Djenepo, Walcott and probably Elyounoussi.

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

I wouldn't sell him, instead get another player in that position who is better and have Redmond as back up/rotation.

The players to get rid of are Djenepo, Walcott and probably Elyounoussi.

Fair point, if we don’t need to raise cash for his upgrade. I actually don’t have a problem with Elyonoussi, but I’m all for doing whatever we need to to improve my n what I think is now our weakest position 

Over Ralph's time here he has been the one constant in the #10 position and IMO we are generally better when he plays.

Of course he could score more, the same goes for almost all players in his position in the PL aside from the very best.

However, there are clearly some things the Manager values that our other #10s don't offer. I would suggest:

- Availability: nearly always able to play 90mins and still be fresh. Can playb3 games a week no problem. Picks up relatively few injuries compared to all the others.

Pressing: definitely the best in this respect

Reliability: more secure on the ball than the others. Armstrong and Moi have a habit of giving the ball away cheaply, Walcott is awful, Tella's first touch poor in tight spaces and teammates don't know what they will get from Djenepo.

Better in tight spaces: Walcott needs space to run into, as does Tella. Armstrong good but not the most refined. Redmond's interplay around the box definitely better than the others.

Overall its definitely a position we could upgrade but he is definitely with Armstrong as the best we have there, hence why he plays so often.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 2

We're a better side when he's in it, and despite his lack of goals, we seem way more likely to score when he's on the pitch.

Agree with others, that it's a position that we could do with an upgrade on, but got no issue with Redmond starting atm.  He's a decent enough premier league player for a club of our size.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
15 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

I know it’s a contentious issue (I like him) but I would’ve thought, re: The recent Dan Sheldon article, that there would be a fair few clubs who would be interested — Promoted clubs would surely like him.

Trouble is how much will he cost to buy? Then given that we gave him a new contract not too long ago, how much would he cost A N Other team to put on the pitch. Then sprinkle onto that what many of have seen (and driven up the wall with) - aside from his purple patch a few seasons ago - his slow decision making, that "fair few" list could be diminishing like sand through an hour glass.

A change of scenery could be very good for him. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Redmond