Nathan Redmond

Dusic

19 hours ago, washsaint said:

I do sometimes wonder if some of the maligned players suffered from bad coaching and playing in a terrible team that they could not recover from at Saints (not to say they won;t elsewhere).

Norwich fans were equally frustrated with him when we bought him so I think that's just the player we bought

Well, the statement just released by Redmond is a deeply impressive one. 

For me, of all the players in a Southampton shirt that appeared in the last 6 years, Redmond was the one I was most exasperated by.

He clearly had talent but as the seasons went by, he seemed to just fade away, in using the one talent above all else that we the fans wanted him to show.....the ability to take a player on and get round him and cause danger. He did have that but as the seasons went on he just stopped doing that in my opinion. In the end we had the tappy tappy stuff where he would take the ball up to an opposing defender and tne almost without fail turn back and pass the ball either sideways or back.

Now we can inquire why that happened.....was it Ralphs coaching where he wanted the ball to be retained at all times....or....just an ever increasing lack of confidence on Redmonds part. Who knows ?

May I also add that being a season ticket holder, I always detected that Redmond was one of several players that reacted badly to team mates if they made a mistake or things went wrong. Bednarek was another along with Ryan Bertrand. 

We all have an opinion over whether that's a good thing for morale....showing passion on the field....whatever that means !

In my opinion, it wasnt a very impressive trait in the bloke. He seemed to pass  the buck very easily and on many occassions seemed not to take responsibilty himself. 

Compare that to say....KWP.... who just gets on with it and does his very best. I'm an old guy now and old school.

The statement for me is a redeeming feature for Redmond. His views on his time here and his affection for our club seem heartfelt and genuine..

So, I wish him the very best in Turkey and thank him for his service to our club.

Oh....and if for not anything else, I will thank him for that wonderful goal he scored at Fratton Park a few years ago. I attended that match and that evening will stay with me forever.

• Like 7

I liked Redders. I don't feel, for whatever reason, it truly happened for him at Saints but there definitely some decent moments and wasn't he even voted player of the season once? Whether it was down to him or the managers - probably a bit of both - I guess we won't ever know. And there's always the fourth goal at Fratton too.

Also, on a personal level, I won't forget, when my son was mascot for the away League Cup game at Brighton, and Charlie Austin and a couple of others ran past him without high fiving him as all the others did, Redders sent them back and gave my son an extra high five for his trouble. A simple thing but we always remembered it because it said a lot about Redders the person. [As an aside, Vestergaard's high five nearly broke my son's arm... but he survived! 🤣]

• Like 4

Similar feelings to many here. Firstly, classy goodbye message - nice, but then so it should be given he’s been supported by the club for 6 years being pulled up from a lower league. I was initially skeptical of his ability to adapt to the EPL, but then pleasantly surprised by some great performances early in his time with us. But as time went on he faded, but to be fair to him, I suspect some his passing backwards/sideways was due to instructions from Ralph. Overall got no issue with him and wish him the best at his new club.

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Redmond - Official: Signs for Besiktas

Shame, liked Redders but probably the right time for something new. Although it’s obvious he never hit the heights we thought he would, I was always happy to see his name on the teamsheet. 
Seemed like a nice guy, happy to chat and have a photo with my boys and served the club well. Wish him all the best. 

• Like 2

He’s certainly left well and don’t think any Saints fans should have an issue with him in the future. Over the years I’ve heard a few little stories which support the idea that he’s a good guy and stayed humble off the pitch.

Although he frustrated fans and became a bit of a whipping boy, he did have some good spells. My memory is rubbish with specific times, but I’m sure he had some decent purple patches here and there. 

Perhaps he was a victim of these spells as he seemed incapable of keeping the standards up once he’d raised our expectations. 

He did use to annoy me when after missing a chance or doing something rubbish, he’s then grin like it was a joke. I’m sure it was just his way of dealing with it. 

I always wondered whether him and Bertrand had a bit of a love/hate relationship 

Classy farewell message. I always liked Redmond. Thought his special power of running past his man and breaking up defensive patterns was never fully realised by either him and/or the managers. In the end, can't help but feel he never quite reached the heights he was capable of. A confidence player, that was unplayable when he had it and frustrating when he didn't. I wish him well at Besiktas...wouldn't be surprised to see him flourish in a different environment.

3 hours ago, Suhari said:

Presuambly I am WAY wrong in my unfounded assumption that he was a moody git!

No, he is a moody git, at least on the two occasions I've 'met' him 😄
I've met several players over the years at corporate events and in hospitality, etc. And he is without doubt the grumpiest I've met, and had no interest in speaking with people, having a picture with them, etc. Seemed totally pee'd off to even be there and reluctant to have pics (maybe it's because he gets stick from fans, but he couldnt seem less happy to be there). I appreciate some players dont like that environment and its forced upon them, but he did seem genuinely moody/arrogant to me.
Romeu on the other hand was the complete opposite, the nicest guy you could ever wish to meet, and (unless he's a great actor) seemed genuinely happy and grateful to meet with fans.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, St Louis said:

I've met several players over the years at corporate events and in hospitality, etc. And he is without doubt the grumpiest I've met, and had no interest in speaking with people, having a picture with them, etc. Seemed totally pee'd off to even be there and reluctant to have pics (maybe it's because he gets stick from fans, but he couldnt seem less happy to be there). I appreciate some players dont like that environment and its forced upon them, but he did seem genuinely moody/arrogant to me.
Romeu on the other hand was the complete opposite, the nicest guy you could ever wish to meet, and (unless he's a great actor) seemed genuinely happy and grateful to meet with fans.

I, like others, had no idea Nathan Redmond's agent had such a way with words. 

2 hours ago, St Louis said:

Suspect that's more to do with him being an introvert than being moody tbh.  That's the sort of thing that would be my worst nightmare!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Redmond
1 hour ago, skintsaint said:

Both as effective as each other.

Not really, would be interested to see that stats, but I would guess Redmond had a better score\assist rate than Ely, and IMO his off the ball work was equal.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Both as effective as each other.

I don't remember Elyounnoussi ever running a game or tearing another defence apart. Redmond had games where he did exactly that which was the maddening thing about him - he could do it but seemed to be lacking in confidence to do it consistently. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, niceandfriendly said:

As long as Burnley don’t require him to score any goals or get any assists, he’ll be a cracking signing for them. 

If they have a striker who can find the back of the net, he'll get assists. He's a good player, and I'm not surprised to see him back in the PL. Good luck to the lad. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

I bet he has a great season and gets at least 10 goals.

He averaged around 3 goals per season with us so not sure why you think that.

Always felt he had ability but never showed it enough, had about 1 good game in 10. Always came across as a good character though so I wish him well at Burnley.

Wish we still had him for the championship. Also annoying by the time we go down we don’t have the likes of a boufal type, who could easily do a ‘taarabt’ and turn over the championship taking the piss every game.

These two players were stand out whenever we played a lower league team in the cup.

Edited by SotonianWill