Nathan Redmond

Dusic

There's always a degree of sadness when a player who does care and has contributed over the years moves on, especially if it's not the case that it's inevitable because of their age/legs have gone. Yes he's been frustrating at times but Nathan has given us some good memories and I wish him every success at his new club.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, The Cat said:

I like him. We've had far worse players who never got as much stick.

Scored a few crackers, got some great assists and worked hard. He was frustrating at times but then so are a lot of our players!

Always thought he was decent for us, just didn't live up to his potential , wonder what Claude would say to him now 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/10533142/nathan-redmond-similar-to-arsenal-legend-thierry-henry-claims-southampton-boss-claude-puel

• Like 3

Would say 21 goals in over 195 appearances in the premier league with wages conservatively @60k a week basic over 6 seasons equates to a total outlay of 18.72m which works out to 891k per goal for a forward player.

That is money we have spent we should feel was not wisely spent like a lot of the other transfers at that time.

We need to be more ruthless and not equate time served with being a good player as most of these guys got on good contracts, under performed and then left when their contracts were nearly up as no one else would take their contracts on and pay a fee.

Any player that is here for most of their contract is a failure as we buy players to sell on. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, madge said:

If only he’d done down in the league cup final when his shirt was pulled back.. Man U would have been down to 10 men as it was a blatant 2nd yellow. He’s been a decent signing and deserves his move.

2nd yellow against ManU ? Are you sure !! Redders would probably have got a yellow for taking his shirt off 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

All the best to him. Think he’s been a good signing for us, I know some fans will point to his inconsistency but if he played at the top of his game consistently, he’d have never played for us in the first place, on his day he’s  a game changer. 

Obvious he’s a confidence player and like some have said, he struggled when the fans were on his back but also he could thrive when the fans were on his side and get bums off seats.

All the best to him and his family, feels like the right time to part company with him and I m glad the club are giving him that opportunity out of respect for his service, that feels right to me.

All the best redders, it’s been a blast 

• Like 2

I hope he does really well in Turkey, and I'm interested to see how he does in a different set up.

He's been through a few managers here but until this season has always played over 25 games a season and often over 30. I'd seen him a fair bit at Norwich. I thought 11odd million was quite a lot for him. He might not have been one of the players who has moved on for a big profit. But his appearances show he's been an important part of the squad since his arrival, and we've not lost out with his contributions.

Partly due to where he plays, it can be a frustrating watch. Taking on players is always going to lead to some lost possession. Holding the ball up, waiting for others, where someone could have been taken on, can be seen as negative.

More than others, I've always felt that he's followed the instructions from the bench. Both when being told to attack defenses and certainly in the more risk averse tactics, where he's stopped himself pushing forward. I guess that's led to some criticism and some inconsistency. But he's always seemed to diligently get on with the knocks and come back into the team.

Even Pep grabbed him out of frustration at one point. Nathan said

"He commented on my qualities as a young English player and how he wanted me to attack his team more during the game in a similar way to last season.

"I told him I was doing what my manager asked me to do in the game. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less." He's been pretty versatile in where he's been asked to play for us too. He's scored some really good goals for us too. Hopefully he'll do well in a team looking at the top of a table.
  • Like 4

He plays on the wing. Over the last 30 years, pretty much every winger, barring Giggs and one or two others, starts well, but can't then continue to beat the fullback time after time, loses a bit of confidence and is sold.

Redmond's lack of outstanding pace always hamstrung him. He knew he couldn't race past a player even if he had gained half a yard, so more often than not he turned back to ensure he retained possession. This prevented us making cutting attacks, which frustrated fans, but ensured we kept the ball, which managers appreciated.

I liked him more than many (I hated how people jumped on his back based on their preconceived ideas, even when he didn't deserve it in that specific game), but even I had to admit he was poor at times. When fans started to let him know, any last remnants of confidence disappeared. He did well to come back from that, although his relationship with fans seemed tarnished afterwards.  

When on song he could skip past a sucker with ease. He didn't however score nearly enough goals his good approach play created space for. 

I recommended him on the annual HCDAJFU thread about ten years ago. Probably not my best suggestion. I wish him well in Turkey. 

• Like 7

So what is the deal in the end? Besiktas for what fee?

I liked Redmond. Mirror a lot of what's been said already. One of the best dribblers and would take people on and get past them...but a lack of a finish (generally). I thought he'd still have a place in this team tbh. So much better than Walcott. Too similar to Djenepo? (who has the same ball-losing habit). Guess they thought time to cash out and freshen up.

11 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

Doubt he was that negative off the pitch. Always came across as pretty cheerful.

Except on the pitch, where he was always far too quick to look accusingly at the rest of the team while shrugging off his own (copious) f*ck ups.

Yeah the only player to ever do this , ever

9 hours ago, Vancouver Saint said:

So what is the deal in the end? Besiktas for what fee?

I liked Redmond. Mirror a lot of what's been said already. One of the best dribblers and would take people on and get past them...but a lack of a finish (generally). I thought he'd still have a place in this team tbh. So much better than Walcott. Too similar to Djenepo? (who has the same ball-losing habit). Guess they thought time to cash out and freshen up.

£4m according to the Echo

• Like 1

Never rated him , actually a player I pretty much dislike,, found it frustrating he got so many chances over Boufal who was way more talented imo..

redmond kind of like the Shane long of wingers then you got the stupid smiling face when he messed up..and he wasn’t even that great anyway Imo edozie looked more exciting in twenty mins then redmonds saints career 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Never rated him , actually a player I pretty much dislike,, found it frustrating he got so many chances over Boufal who was way more talented imo..

redmond kind of like the Shane long of wingers then you got the stupid smiling face when he messed up..and he wasn’t even that great anyway Imo edozie looked more exciting in twenty mins then redmonds saints career 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but Redmond was voted Fans and Players Player of the Season just three years ago.   At that time, most fans were more than happy with him.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sinned said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but Redmond was voted Fans and Players Player of the Season just three years ago.   At that time, most fans were more than happy with him.

3 years ago we were terrible and he stood out. And what someone was 3 years ago is not relevant to how good they are now. 

• Like 4

Can't really think of another player who lots of fans have seemingly been so sure they know the personality of without probably having ever met him.

Always seems like a good professional to me, always put a shift in and seemed like he cared. Came back from being the boo boy target to winning player of the season, so that in itself shows a bit of character.

Also had big moments in some big games: LC semi goal, Everton away goal (Tom Davies game), Bmth cup QF etc.

At his best, the assist for Ings goal away at Spurs in the game we somehow lost 3-2.

Good luck to him and its a decent platform ahead of being a free agent next year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Remember Peps pep talk. Nathan seemingly infuriates the fuck out of everyone! 

He'll be back in England stealing a living by January. Bookmark this comment. 

I dont think a comment of that pathetic nature deserves to be bookmarked.

Edited by OldNick
  • Like 5

On his day almost unplayable. He earned his England call ups. Shame his confidence to make the full use of his talents wasn't always there and progressively less so as time wore on. All the best to him. He's another who has served the club well.

• Like 1

I always felt a bit sorry for Redmond - he came in after our best ever PL finish, expectations were sky-high and then Koeman left, we brought in Puel (who, at the time, was a bit of an anti-climax compared to some managers we'd been linked with) and our first signing of the summer was Redmond who seemed, at the time, like a massive downgrade on the players we had the previous season and the players we thought we might have been able to attract after finishing 6th.

All in all I would say he's been pretty great for us - was excellent at times under Puel (Liverpool semi, Watford away, League Cup final) and Ralph. That said, he's one of the most frustrating players I've watched as a Saints fan. Can't help but feel as though he never quite lived up to his potential and, at times, there was a lack of application when things weren't going well. Good luck to him though.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, James said:

I always felt a bit sorry for Redmond - he came in after our best ever PL finish, expectations were sky-high and then Koeman left, we brought in Puel (who, at the time, was a bit of an anti-climax compared to some managers we'd been linked with) and our first signing of the summer was Redmond who seemed, at the time, like a massive downgrade on the players we had the previous season and the players we thought we might have been able to attract after finishing 6th.

All in all I would say he's been pretty great for us - was excellent at times under Puel (Liverpool semi, Watford away, League Cup final) and Ralph. That said, he's one of the most frustrating players I've watched as a Saints fan. Can't help but feel as though he never quite lived up to his potential and, at times, there was a lack of application when things weren't going well. Good luck to him though.

I wouldn't say he has been "pretty great" as he was super frustrating: you could see flashes of the talent he has but he never seemed to be able to apply that for a longer period of time.  That being said, he has been a good servant to the club and wish him nothing but the best.

I do sometimes wonder if some of the maligned players suffered from bad coaching and playing in a terrible team that they could not recover from at Saints (not to say they won;t elsewhere).

Another frozen out by Ralph for having too much of an opinion. 🤷🏻‍♂️

although no major loss. 

Kyle Walker-Peters on #SaintsFC's outgoing Nathan Redmond. 👏

💬 "He's someone that's always vocal. You need that. Redders would always speak up if he disagreed with the manager. 

"Always in a respectful way, or he’d try! If you want to improve, you've got to speak your mind."

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Another frozen out by Ralph for having too much of an opinion. 🤷🏻‍♂️

although no major loss. 

Kyle Walker-Peters on #SaintsFC's outgoing Nathan Redmond. 👏

💬 "He's someone that's always vocal. You need that. Redders would always speak up if he disagreed with the manager. 

"Always in a respectful way, or he’d try! If you want to improve, you've got to speak your mind."

Bloody hell, if I’d been Ralph I think the temptation to turn around and say “sort your own bloody game out first son” would have been overwhelming.

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Saint-Michael said:

Good luck to him and as regards for him speaking his mind I think that's a good thing if done in a respectful way managers and coaches are a part of the team and the team should work together and all should take on views of each other. 

Agreed. There are lots of different manager/ player relationships. Sometimes, an incoming manager with clear ideas of the system he wants, will not want too many dissenting opinions. That can be with the best of intentions, if the system containing lots of, lets  call them automisms, will break down otherwise. or if it needs time to settle in, before it can be adjusted.

That can go against the instincts of various players, used to different systems, or who prefer more independence. If the new system can be improved or where the player feels some changes can be made, it can be difficult to get it accorss in a way where the manager won't be defensive.      

So even if the player also has the best of intentions, the relationship can breakdown. It's not always that the player is being difficult/ causing unrest. Different parties having to be open to each other's views.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CiPiwRoIL4D/?hl=en

Really classy exit from Redmond..some great moments in the accompanied video too...

nathanredmond

After 6 years as a Saint, my journey with you has come to an end. First of all I’d like to thank the Saints fans for your patience, support and memories we have shared together over the years. I signed for this wonderful football club when there was no manager appointed at the time; through the support and trust of Les Reed, Ross Wilson and Katharina bringing me to the Club. I thank you deeply guys for making that happen! It was “The Southampton Way”. That was what got me. The sense of ambition and attacking, free-flowing football, mixed with a family-focused atmosphere within the Club. Occasionally, this has been forgotten, pushed aside or not implemented when needed most; but I will always remember it’s true value and meaning. With the influx of the younger players coming through I hope that they bring you joy & also understand what it means to be a Saint!

To the Players - and some great friends made for life - I’ve spoken to you all already but again thank you for the memories we shared. In the good times, we played some great football. The difficult times, we had to grind out results in some of the darkest moments - we found ways and the strength together to dig ourselves out of it and pull through the towards better days. I wish you all nothing but the best for the future.

To the Staff members, again I tried to see everyone and speak to you before I left but as generic as it may seem, I thank you all for being something that this Club values itself on - great people. In an up and down environment, thank you for your time and dedication towards the common goal. From the Kitchen to Kit Staff; Medical/S&C to Liaison / Media staff and of course, the various coaching teams and four managers that I’ve worked with throughout my time spent at this Club. I can’t thank you all enough and I wish you guys nothing but the best for the future. Special mention to Les Reed, Ross Wilson, Martin Semmens, Matt Crocker, Katharina & the Liebherr family.

A Club that’s given me a huge platform for such a long time to grow as a player and a person. A Club that has seen me at my best and my worst. Once a Saint, always a Saint.

Southampton FC Thank you ❤️

Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Like 23

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Redmond