Nathan Redmond

Dusic

28 minutes ago, angelman said:

Is Watford too far? Bit of a schlep down the M6/M1 but not out of the question if living to the south of Brum. Training ground is IIRC in St Albans. 

1.45 hours  from Knowle (near Solihull, west of Birmingham, where some City footballers live) to Watford's training ground.

6 hours ago, Berkshire Saint said:

Whilst we're all well aware of his faults it does seem strange how he's completely fallen out of the picture as he has had periods of decent form under Hasenhuttl.

I think 'periods' is a bit of a stretch. Occasional good game, usually against lower league teams.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Chez said:

1.45 hours  from Knowle (near Solihull, west of Birmingham, where some City footballers live) to Watford's training ground.

Nice area around Knowle and Hockley Heath, Villa had a few living that way over the years as well. Nathan has served SFC fairly well for a modest fee after selling Mane and not his fault Reed fucked it up not having signed enough frontline strikers for Europa and PL. 2016/17 and Ralph’s first season his best, hot and cold at other times and not a 38 game level PL player but good squad option. Better than Boufal though, that was never going work out. Nathan was the competition but Boufal arrived injured, Les’s August striker trolley dash failed and Nathan ended up with the striker/Henry moniker which was an unfair burden. 

Edited by saint1977
Fee

9 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

What's the consensus then, is he definitely going? Weird that he was a firm favourite and nigh unstoppable for so long under Ralph and now he can't get in the squad to save his life.

I see posts on other threads about keeping players around (Bednarek) unless the deal for them to depart is right for us. If we are going to have pay half his (Redmond's) wages for a loan, is that deal good for us?

Or should we  keep him around for when Aribo gets injured? 

I struggle to see a Midlands club that will take him. Leicester, possibly, but I suspect they have had their fill of Saints players

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

More like the new Dyson, looks good, but expensive and breaks down frequently.

what a load of tosh. Nathan is not injury prone, and is not expensive as he gave us good value for money. He set up as many as JWP last season as well as numerous chances our forwards didn't put away. 

I wish him luck at his next club.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, OldNick said:

what a load of tosh. Nathan is not injury prone, and is not expensive as he gave us good value for money. He set up as many as JWP last season as well as numerous chances our forwards didn't put away. 

Yes, me too.

Keyboard warriors talking shite, who knew?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I would be inclined to keep him until his contract expires. Don't think we are going to get any takers for a permanent transfer. Loan is pointless really. Might as well keep him as useful squad option and surely offers more than Walcott coming off the bench. 

I'm inclined to agree, but do want to say that loaning senior players out is not pointless. I would expect him to be on a hefty wage, maybe £75k a week. That's £3.75m a year. With the loan/debt increasing year on year due to the 9% interest rate, it will require a sizeable payment each year just to prevent it increasing further, never mind pay it down. So we need to find that money from the existing budget, by reducing the wage bill/outgoings.

Redmond can be frustrating but he can also change a game (usually against weaker opposition) and can play 10, winger or up top. As a squad option I'd keep him but it looks like Djenepo may have saved himself from the chop so Redmond is probably going to go to save money.

Personally I'd have Moi out over Redmond but that's just personal preference.

If someone does leave, I hope we bring someone else in. Yes we have Edwards coming through and I wouldn't want to block the pathway for the youngsters but it's a long season and injury crisises happen.

19 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

I think 'periods' is a bit of a stretch. Occasional good game, usually against lower league teams.

If he was consistent he would be at a much better team than us.  Not quite sure why some of so keen to see the back of him, he's no world beater but he certainly better than most of the crap we have in attacking MF such as Djenepo, Elycarthorse and Walcott.

Edited by once_bitterne
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, Chez said:

I'm inclined to agree, but do want to say that loaning senior players out is not pointless. I would expect him to be on a hefty wage, maybe £75k a week. That's £3.75m a year. With the loan/debt increasing year on year due to the 9% interest rate, it will require a sizeable payment each year just to prevent it increasing further, never mind pay it down. So we need to find that money from the existing budget, by reducing the wage bill/outgoings.

Take your point. However, with the clubs that maybe would look to loan him, could they even come close to matching that potential wage? Possibly we would still have to cover the majority of his wage, throw on top a loan fee, and he might be unattainable for the majority of clubs he may be of interest to.

To what extent is his absence due to a lack of pre-season through injury and how much through other causes (out of favour/due to move/can't be arsed/not training hard enough etc.)?

Walcott is just taking up a squad space, Elyounoussi is more of a footballer but has always lacked pace, Djenepo can surprise us, the opposition and himself and seems to have buckled down this season. I'd certainly keep Redmond over Walcott, obviously, keep Djenepo who has shown surprising versatility and then the final decision based on if we bring anybody in.

47 minutes ago, once_bitterne said:

If he was consistent he would be at a much better team than us.  Not quite sure why some of so keen to see the back of him, he's no world beater but he certainly better than most of the crap we have in attacking MF such as Djenepo, Elycarthorse and Walcott.

Agreed, he’s a much better option than those three, even now.

At the end of the day he’ll take clog from the supporters but he’ll end up with a far better overall Saints career than Djenppo, Walcott (second time) & Mo. 

• Like 2

I’m a fan of Redmond, I still think he’ll be here come the end of the window. Then he’ll just see out his contract.

Judging from his social media he is very family-oriented, maybe he’d move back to Birmingham, maybe Norwich way if he were to leave.

He is a useful player to have and worth keeping unless we can get a reasonable amount of money for him now with another player lined up to come in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Take your point. However, with the clubs that maybe would look to loan him, could they even come close to matching that potential wage? Possibly we would still have to cover the majority of his wage, throw on top a loan fee, and he might be unattainable for the majority of clubs he may be of interest to.

Miles out of the range of championship clubs. I suspect he sees himself as a Prem player too, so that limits the options to Villa, Forest and Leicester if he wants to be near Brum.

21 minutes ago, Chez said:

Miles out of the range of championship clubs. I suspect he sees himself as a Prem player too, so that limits the options to Villa, Forest and Leicester if he wants to be near Brum.

Can't really see those three coming in for him. If he wants to stay in the Premier League, his options are going to be pretty limited 

37 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Go and fall in love with football once again Nathan, you may well enjoy it. 

I hope he finds a club that's a good fit, and not just the best payer. 

Personally Id like him to find a club where the fans appreciate him. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Personally Id like him to find a club where the fans appreciate him. 

Yup - definitely been under appreciated on the whole by our fan base.  He's been exactly the player I thought he would be.  Decent enough, flashes of brilliance, but never quite had it to push on and be a top player, but for £12m he's been a bargain really.

• Like 11

On 25/08/2022 at 10:00, OldNick said:

Whoosh. Sense of humour failure hey Old Nick.

For all the shit Shane Long got, I have to say, I enjoyed his time with us far more than Redmond. 

For all his limitations, you knew he'd try hard, do the graft well, fight for the team. 

Redmond, for all his talent, just went missing as soon as it didn't go his way.

Made millions from us. And now we are supposed to cry. Fuck off. Do one kid, and be grateful you were given this long.

Feel better now. 

Rage mode triggered, incoming.......... lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Funny reading recent comments on here, when my Facebook fired up this morning, I had a memory from 5 years ago of an away day at Huddersfield in amongst the comments was one from a longtime Saints fan, and the conversation was quite heavy on how pants he was that afternoon……….struck me how nothing much has changed.

56 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Did we ever learn what Pep was saying to Redmond when Saints were at Man C ?

When you good you're very very good but you're not really good very often so thanks for being good today because the chances of you being good against us again are now very slim. 

It's strange that there seem to be no links to Redmond. He'd be excellent for a Championship side. I wonder if he's told his agent he's not willing to take a drop in salary and will see out his contract here, happy to take the money and sit on the bench or even at home. It's easy money and means he can also do the bare minimum in training if he so wishes.

1 minute ago, saintant said:

It's strange that there seem to be no links to Redmond. He'd be excellent for a Championship side. I wonder if he's told his agent he's not willing to take a drop in salary and will see out his contract here, happy to take the money and sit on the bench or even at home. It's easy money and means he can also do the bare minimum in training if he so wishes.

That's all speculation

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Redmond