Nathan Redmond

Dusic

4 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

Trouble is how much will he cost to buy? Then given that we gave him a new contract not too long ago, how much would he cost A N Other team to put on the pitch. Then sprinkle onto that what many of have seen (and driven up the wall with) - aside from his purple patch a few seasons ago - his slow decision making, that "fair few" list could be diminishing like sand through an hour glass.

A change of scenery could be very good for him. 

Would we want more than £20m for him?  I’m throwing that out as a completely arbitrary figure, but promoted clubs spend that.

1 minute ago, TWar said:

I think £12-15m is more reasonable.

He has no future at Saints as he is on the wrong side of 28 and has only one year left on his contract. The Club must be expecting to cash in on him this summer and it is almost certain there will be no new contract offer coming his way.

His limitations are too well known to attract any PL club including the newly promoted ones. The Championship seems to be his destiny where he may be worth a punt for clubs looking to get promoted next year. The price for him will be £8-10m max.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

He has no future at Saints as he is on the wrong side of 28 and has only one year left on his contract. The Club must be expecting to cash in on him this summer and it is almost certain there will be no new contract offer coming his way.

His limitations are too well known to attract any PL club including the newly promoted ones. The Championship seems to be his destiny where he may be worth a punt for clubs looking to get promoted next year. The price for him will be £8-10m max.

I think he's still pretty useful If you compare him to other players in his position who went last summer:

Redmond: 0 Goals 6 Assists 1357 minutes

Buendia: 2 Goals 4 Assists 1580 minutes (cost about £40m)

Odegaard: 6 Goals 3 Assists 2072 minutes (cost about £30m)

Dan James: 4 Goals 4 Assist 2282 minutes (cost about £25m)

Obviously I'm not suggesting Redmond is worth that sort of money as he is older and in his final year but at 28 he is still in his prime and is still performing at a similar level in terms of goals+assists per minute to some reasonably well regarded players (in regards to Buendia wildly overregarded) so he is definitely worth something. Imo £8m-10m is selling him very short, average championship players set you back £10m+

Edited by TWar

• 2 weeks later...

I’m sorry cause I know he’s frustrating, and I know he misses sitters and he can be terrible sometimes but he is literally the only Saints player at the moment who looks capable of creating something. 

And the mental thing is that he can’t get a look in, when we can barely buy even a chance let alone a goal at the moment. 

I’ve long said that the fact that a Premier League team’s most creative player is Redmond is a huge issue, because overall you can’t rely on someone his quality to push you that high up the table but when he’s all we’ve got at the moment, he has to start. I’ve been bored to tears recently watching Saints create absolutely nothing apart from Redmond in the short cameos he’s allowed anymore.

• Like 1

I'd have him in there ahead of Elyounoussi, whose ball carrying skills are so inept it's painful to watch.

But he's still not great and this debate alone shows why our number 10 positions are in such a mess. Any forwards in our team have no chance, they have to create it all themselves.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I'd have him in there ahead of Elyounoussi, whose ball carrying skills are so inept it's painful to watch.

But he's still not great and this debate alone shows why our number 10 positions are in such a mess. Any forwards in our team have no chance, they have to create it all themselves.

Agree with that. Redmond over Elyounoussi for me all day long. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Toussaint said:

I'm really not a fan, but we are so inept at the moment I'd give him another go. 

I really don’t think he’s the answer. Our trouble is we have no directness in the middle of the park, the last thing we need is redmond cutting back in side and slowing it all down. Again. 

Tella should get a game IMO. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Dman said:

I really don’t think he’s the answer. Our trouble is we have no directness in the middle of the park, the last thing we need is redmond cutting back in side and slowing it all down. Again. 

Tella should get a game IMO. 

Agreed, Tella should play more, also Smallbone in his correct position, Smallbone was the only outfield player to show up against Chelsea after AA was taken off. At least both those players have potential to improve, whereas we have seen the best of Redmond two or three years ago.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 22/04/2022 at 15:02, Toussaint said:

Agreed, Tella should play more, also Smallbone in his correct position, Smallbone was the only outfield player to show up against Chelsea after AA was taken off. At least both those players have potential to improve, whereas we have seen the best of Redmond two or three years ago.

What is Smallbones correct position ?

5 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

What is Smallbones correct position ?

I'm guessing that comment was after he was played up front? I thought he looked ok out wide against Norwich (I think, could have been WHU in the cuop) and Chelsea when he came on. 

2 hours ago, Toussaint said:

I'm guessing that comment was after he was played up front? I thought he looked ok out wide against Norwich (I think, could have been WHU in the cuop) and Chelsea when he came on. 

I think theres a tidy player in there, on the ball he is technically gifted but realistically he looks as if he needs to play as an 8 as part of a midfield 3 because he doesn’t have sufficient attributes to defend or attack as part of any double midfield pairing and I just don’t think we’re the team to accommodate him

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

To be fair, I wouldn't mind if Redmond was to stay. I think he offers far more than Djenepo and Ely 

Of course. He's not a bad at all, has ups and downs but is a decent squad player. We could obviously get better regular starters in that position but I'm happy for him to stay.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I think theres a tidy player in there, on the ball he is technically gifted but realistically he looks as if he needs to play as an 8 as part of a midfield 3 because he doesn’t have sufficient attributes to defend or attack as part of any double midfield pairing and I just don’t think we’re the team to accommodate him

My hope is that with a new coaching team we will vary formations a bit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Fat Controller said:

Nathan Redmond & Jack Stephens have been average 

signed at at a time when the club motto was “turning potential into excellence “

that worked out well - both are no better!

You think Jack Stephens hasn't improved since the age of 17? 

Sure Redmond is no Mane, but to claim he hasn't improved since the day he joined in 2016 is nonsense. 

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, maysie said:

Wondering if he might have been the leak to the mail? Odd he hasn’t been involved at all.

Or he is injured/ leaving and I’m just jumping to conclusions.

I did have the same thought (based on nothing more than his complete disappearance after his sub appearance against Spurs)

47 minutes ago, maysie said:

Wondering if he might have been the leak to the mail? Odd he hasn’t been involved at all.

Or he is injured/ leaving and I’m just jumping to conclusions.

Ralph never mentioned him being injured after being asked about him, Theo and Stephens following tonight’s match.

Either he was the leak or, hopefully, a club or two are interested in taking him.

When he wasn't included in the tour, or any pre-season matches due to "injury", there were five Instagram videos posted up of him training on his own. No strapping in the videos for injury and he didn't look too injured, or unable to train with the team. So, not too sure what's going on. One for the itks.

https://www.instagram.com/_b3performance/?hl=en

On 28/05/2022 at 06:31, The Fat Controller said:

Nathan Redmond & Jack Stephens have been average 

signed at at a time when the club motto was “turning potential into excellence “

that worked out well - both are no better!

Is this guy bllnd or an attention seeker? Jack Stephens progress has been outstanding compared with the youth who arrived, he may not be a world beater but his long term commitment and the development haver been excellent. Redmond has faded a bit recently but had had some terrific spells since he arrived. Potential into excellence is still our purpose and thete are a lot of good signs----wake up and smell the coffee!

• Like 5

Whilst we're all well aware of his faults it does seem strange how he's completely fallen out of the picture as he has had periods of decent form under Hasenhuttl, in comparison to our other wingers/'no. 10s' anyway. In the first half of last season he wasn't too bad from memory and had a string of home games where he provided assists. 

He wants out, mainly because he's just had a baby and wants to move back closer to his family in Birmingham. He's been a decent signing for Saints all in all.  Always been a decent pro behind the scenes too.  I'm hoping he'll stay, as he's also good for the younger guys, but think it's highly likely he leaves before the end of the window.

12 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

He wants out, mainly because he's just had a baby and wants to move back closer to his family in Birmingham. He's been a decent signing for Saints all in all.  Always been a decent pro behind the scenes too.  I'm hoping he'll stay, as he's also good for the younger guys, but think it's highly likely he leaves before the end of the window.

Agreed he has been a good signing for us. Always thought he could have pushed on a bit more though. Always seems to play safe rather than taking a risk, almost if he doesn't believe in his own ability. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Wouldn't get into Villa or Wolves first XI. 

WBA or Birmingham City? 

17 minutes ago, nta786 said:

WBA or Birmingham City? 

The prob is that none of these teams could afford him, 60-70k per week he's on here.

We'd probably accept a nominal fee, but he's going to have to take on hell of a pay cut, at least 50% - probably more, for clubs to even consider him. It's clubs of that level that are the only ones who'd be interested in my opinion.

I don't like getting into situations with players whereby we cover a portion of their wages, even after they've left. Best to just cut ties.

13 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

The prob is that none of these teams could afford him, 60-70k per week he's on here.

We'd probably accept a nominal fee, but he's going to have to take on hell of a pay cut, at least 50% - probably more, for clubs to even consider him. It's clubs of that level that are the only ones who'd be interested in my opinion.

I don't like getting into situations with players whereby we cover a portion of their wages, even after they've left. Best to just cut ties.

If, as has been suggested, his prime motive is to move back closer to his family, then he will have to accept a pay cut to do that. 

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

He has one year left so will probably leave on a season loan then will be a free agent.

Decent situation for him to be in if he does quite well wherever he goes on loan.

2 hours ago, nta786 said:

Wouldn't get into Villa or Wolves first XI. 

WBA or Birmingham City? 

Not a chance in hell of Brum affording him. They lose money hand over fist. Even with the Bellingham sale they lost £5m that year.

WBA have the second year of parachute payments, but that is only going to stretch to about half his wages I suspect.

Will he take a drop in division?

Would Leicester consider him a decent `squad strengthener' I wonder? 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Redmond