The United Kingdom and the Death of Boris Johnson as we know it.

CB Fry

SWF (Non Legally Binding) General Election  

193 members have voted

1. 1. SWF (Non Legally Binding) General Election

• Conservatives
    • Labour
    • Liberals
    • UKIP
    • Green
    • Brexit
    • Change UK
    • Other

"I want to be the prime minister who does with Northern Powerhouse Rail what we did for Crossrail in London."

Those were the words of Boris Johnson days after he entered Downing Street in 2019.

Today, all those "Red Wall" Tory MPs are saying how betrayed they feel. Seems those unicorns promised in 2019 have done a runner.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 2

Geordie Greig ousted as Daily Mail editor. Wonder what effect this will have on the core middle England Tory vote whose support may have waivered recently. The new editor will not be criticising the government as vehemently as Greig was and will probably treat Johnson much more favourably like the Mail on Sunday does.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/nov/18/editor-ousting-daily-mail-mail-on-sunday-geordie-greig-ted-verity

Edited by The Cat

20 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Geordie Greig ousted as Daily Mail editor. Wonder what effect this will have on the core middle England Tory vote whose support may have waivered recently. The new editor will not be criticising the government as vehemently as Greig was and will probably treat Johnson much more favourably like the Mail on Sunday does.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/nov/18/editor-ousting-daily-mail-mail-on-sunday-geordie-greig-ted-verity

If Johnson had anything to do with his sacking it could be his worst misjudgement and spell the end of him. It’s starting into  Russia and China territory 

40 minutes ago, buctootim said:

If Johnson had anything to do with his sacking it could be his worst misjudgement and spell the end of him. It’s starting into  Russia and China territory 

The thought did cross my mind that pressure may have been applied by someone, or some sort of deal has been struck. Favourable write ups in return for some sort of financial incentive through policy change.

Just now, The Cat said:

The thought did cross my mind that pressure may have been applied by someone, or some sort of deal has been struck. Favourable write ups in return for some sort of financial incentive through policy change.

Hasn’t he promised Rupert he will neuter the BBC for favourable coverage? Mail want the same thing

44 minutes ago, The Cat said:

More likely to be direct access to ministers and secret briefings, getting news ahead of competitors etc 

27 minutes ago, moonraker said:

Embarrassing beyond belief, that people voted for this cretin never ceases to amaze me.

They didnt vote for Boris, they voted to "Get Brexit Done". He is just the figurehead put in p!ace to front Brexit - nobody else would take the poisoned chalice.

Edited by badgerx16

It wouldn't surprise me if Johnson steps down from office in the next few months before more damage is done to "Brand Boris. "

His money problems are well documented.  These could be solved however once his days at No 10 are over by following the likes of Blair and Cameron onto the lecture circuit . He would also have his "journalism" to fall back on. 

Who. on the otherhand  would want to listen to a PM widely regarded as an incompetent fool? Would the Telegraph want him to write for them at £250k a year if he is a busted flush?

if he quits now he still has his supporters amongst the Tory faithful. If he hangs on too long even the Tory blue rinse brigade will not be interested in what he has to say. 

1 hour ago, Tamesaint said:

Would the Telegraph want him to write for them at £250k a year if he is a busted flush?

Despite his friendship with the Telegraph's hierarchy, would they really want him back ? He was eventually sacked by them after constantly missing deadlines, fabricating 'facts' about the EU, inventing quotes from eminent scholars, and opposing the ban on handguns after Dunblane - “Nanny is confiscating their toys. It is like one of those vast Indian programmes of compulsory vasectomy.”

Edited by badgerx16

17 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Despite his friendship with the Telegraph's hierarchy, would they really want him back ? He was eventually sacked by them after constantly missing deadlines, fabricating 'facts' about the EU, inventing quotes from eminent scholars, and opposing the ban on handguns after Dunblane - “Nanny is confiscating their toys. It is like one of those vast Indian programmes of compulsory vasectomy.”

He was being employed by them at a cost of £250k pa to write a weekly column after he resigned as Foreign Secretary. Yes £5k a column!!

His columns only stopped when he became PM. I think I would have preferred to have read a column written by Rallyboy!

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Correction - it was The Times that sacked him, ( for inventing scholarly quotes), however the lies and Dunblane statement were in the Telegraph.

Edited by badgerx16

Could be worse.

Could be America where you can turn up to a riot with an assault rifle, shoot 2 people who were carrying skateboards dead, claim self defence and walk out of court.

America is absolutely fucked.

That verdict today, sets a very dangerous precedent.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, JustinSFC said:

Could be worse.

Could be America where you can turn up to a riot with an assault rifle, shoot 2 people who were carrying skateboards dead, claim self defence and walk out of court.

At the trial were you?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

At the trial were you?

Do you think that driving 20 miles with a semi-automatic rifle to "defend" property during a race riot, when you are nothing to do with law enforcement or the affected community, then claiming self-defence after shooting 2 unarmed men dead is OK ? America is indeed 'fucked' simply because this sort of deadly vigilante activity is possible, let alone apparently condoned.

Yes he was acquitted, but it is another example of the twisted mindset found in the US where guns are seen as the predominant indentifying symbol of "freedom".

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Do you think that driving 20 miles with a semi-automatic rifle to "defend" property during a race riot, when you are nothing to do with law enforcement or the affected community, then claiming self-defence after shooting 2 unarmed men dead is OK ? America is indeed 'fucked' simply because this sort of deadly vigilante activity is possible, let alone apparently condoned.

Yes he was acquitted, but it is another example of the twisted mindset found in the US where guns are seen as the predominant indentifying symbol of "freedom".

I was not at the trial. I guess you were given you seem to be ITK

Some reports suggest he was about to be killed himself. No idea personally, but thankfully Trump is no longer in charge, so we can all respect the rule of law

23 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Some reports suggest he was about to be killed himself. No idea personally, but thankfully Trump is no longer in charge, so we can all respect the rule of law

You do realise that US courts allow TV cameras, right?

Forgoing for the moment the insanity of allowing 17-year-olds to own military style assault rifles, this kid traveled across the state line to a town where he doesn't live, shot and killed 2 unarmed men, and has used 'self-defense' as his defense. He didn't need to be there. He deliberately put himself into that situation, armed with a rifle. If he had  just stayed home, those men would still be alive.

Have you sen the video of him walking towards the police with his rifle slung over his chest, hands up, while nearby people shouted to them that he had just shot and killed someone, and they just ignored him and drove on by?

Just imagine how differently that would have played out if he had been black.

America is fucked.

Edited by Sheaf Saint
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

You do realise that US courts allow TV cameras, right?

Forgoing for the moment the insanity of allowing 17-year-olds to own military style assault rifles, this kid traveled across the state line to a town where he doesn't live, shot and killed 2 unarmed men, and has used 'self-defense' as his defense. He didn't need to be there. He deliberately put himself into that situation, armed with a rifle. If he had  just stayed home, those men would still be alive.

Have you sen the video of him walking towards the police with his rifle slung over his chest, hands up, while nearby people shouted to them that he had just shot and killed someone, and they just ignored him and drove on by?

Just imagine how differently that would have played out if he had been black.

America is fucked.

Yes, I have seen the video. 

much of what you say is about a 17 year old having a gun (let alone an assault rifle), which is insane (to us Brits but not too Americans), but this did not happen in the UK and the US is much more different compared to our country.

41 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

1) What about my post implies I am "ITK", or is that just your standard evasion tactic ?

2) How many people are killed by being threatened by people holding skateboards?

He is a teenage vigilante who went looking for trouble with a lethal weapon. He had no need to be there, he had no right to be there and 2 men are dead because of his deliberate actions.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, JustinSFC said:

Could be worse.

Agree, it’s mental. Any country that allows people to take an assault rifle to a protest is fucked up.

What this kid did would be akin to me taking a gun to a Saints V Pompey match, seek out a confrontation, then shoot a couple of Skates who started in self defence.

Edited by aintforever

6 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Agree, it’s mental. Any country that allows people to take an assault rifle to a protest is fucked up.

What this kid did would be akin to me taking a gun to a Saints V Pompey match, seek out a confrontation, then shoot a couple of Skates who started in self defence.

Their obsession with guns is truly mental

24 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Pest control isn't illegal.

Getting back on topic Boris has been badly damaged over the last 2 weeks. The sleaze has been at Major government levels for a while but it has taken time to cut through on the scale of it. The inept response to it though has resounded.

There are huge cracks in the 2019 onwards party in terms of how the country moves forward - they all agreed on Brexit after removing Remainers from the party at all levels and embedding what was left of UKIP fully into the Conservative party - but HS2 Eastern leg underlined the north-south, Red vs blue wall divide. For the red wall MPs and voters to get the vision they want, to build back better, means the blue wall has to pay for it. A blue wall that was less supportive and strident on Brexit as a whole. 

The roof hasn’t caved in on Boris yet, not whilst the booster programme is going on, but he is on thin ice and he has appointed a very poor and incapable cabinet for the most part around him in comparison with previous Tory governments. Again, too reliant on what people thought about Brexit whilst experienced people like Jeremy Hunt fill their time with select committees. 

On 20/11/2021 at 09:51, badgerx16 said:

1) What about my post implies I am "ITK", or is that just your standard evasion tactic ?

2) How many people are killed by being threatened by people holding skateboards?

He is a teenage vigilante who went looking for trouble with a lethal weapon. He had no need to be there, he had no right to be there and 2 men are dead because of his deliberate actions.

https://twitter.com/mhjjones/status/1462346359604928513/photo/1

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

So, because after the fact we learn that somebody was bipolar with violent tendencies that justifies killing him ? It does not alter the facts that Rittenhouse had no need to get involved, and had no justification for being armed. If he hadn''t gone, the 2 men would still be alive. And what justifies his lawyer saying that he is "glad" his client shot and killed a " crazy" ?

Edited by badgerx16

15 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

So, because after the fact we learn that somebody was bipolar with violent tendencies that justifies killing him ? It does not alter the facts that Rittenhouse had no need to get involved, and had no justification for being armed. If he hadn''t gone, the 2 men would still be alive. And what justifies his lawyer saying that he is "glad" his client shot and killed a " crazy" ?

Just posting it.  You made out he killed a couple of innocent skateboarders.  There is more to this, which is why with US law, he was found not guilty (as it stands)

34 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Just posting it.  You made out he killed a couple of innocent skateboarders.  There is more to this, which is why with US law, he was found not guilty (as it stands)

One hit him with a skateboard, the other "assaulted" Rittenhouse with a plastic carrier bag containg a toothbrush and some socks.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1

Johnson explained that the “real lesson” he learned on the visit was that the popularity of the main character – who he said resembled a “Picasso-like hairdryer” – was evidence of “the power of UK creativity”. Johnson said the TV show “was rejected by the BBC and has now been exported to 180 countries” and now worth £6bn. “I think that is pure genius, don’t you? No government in the world, no Whitehall civil servant, would conceivably have come up with Peppa.”

Oh contraire PM

In Soviet Russia Peppa Pig Watches you!

Edited by Mystic Force

• Lighthouse changed the title to The United Kingdom and the Death of Boris Johnson as we know it.