The United Kingdom and the Death of Boris Johnson as we know it.

CB Fry

SWF (Non Legally Binding) General Election  

193 members have voted

1. 1. SWF (Non Legally Binding) General Election

• Conservatives
    • Labour
    • Liberals
    • UKIP
    • Green
    • Brexit
    • Change UK
    • Other

51 minutes ago, whelk said:

Is Gove regularly doing drugs? Just doing ‘calm down’ in scouse accent when being interviewed and loads of other mocking voices. Weird. Oh and of course fck all substance in his answers.

There is fuck all substance in his head.

1 hour ago, whelk said:

Is Gove regularly doing drugs? Just doing ‘calm down’ in scouse accent when being interviewed and loads of other mocking voices. Weird. Oh and of course fck all substance in his answers.

What a ridiculous question.

It is perfectly natural for a 50 year old Cabinet Minister dressed like this to go dancing in an Aberdeen nightclub. I am sure that JRM does it all the time.

https://youtu.be/toYL4jjl4q4

On 10/05/2022 at 13:16, Lord Duckhunter said:

He won’t get a fine. Durham police has previously said they don’t issue retrospective fines to covid offenders. Fucking hell, if they do the lefties will be going ballistic and quite frankly who can blame them? Nobody should be above the law, but nobody should be treated differently because of who they are. Starmer is a slimy hypocrite, but if they don’t issue fines retrospectively, they shouldn’t make an exception for him. If Dom didn’t get one, it’s pretty hard to think what you need to do for Durham police to do so, 

How exactly is Starmer a “slimey hypocrite?” As things stand he has not been found guilty of breaking Johnson’s rules. In fact he was investigated and found not guilty of breaking Johnson’s rules. From the “new evidence” that we have seen, Starmer has strong evidence to say that the  Mail’s campaign is nothing more than “fluff” (to quote Jacob). If he is found guilty I’m sure you will have a field day but if I were you I wouldn’t put any money on it.

The PM of the UK an “ordinary Joe,” really? You don’t think that our PM should uphold higher standards than us mere mortals? Ok, let’s run with it. If an “”ordinary Joe” lies to Parliament they are expected to resign. What makes Johnson so special that he can ignore the rules expected to be adhered to by everyone else? He said there were no parties. There were. He was at some of them himself along with his “bird.” If the PM can’t uphold his own rules, why should anybody else bother? If the PM thinks it’s ok to lie, flout the law, preside over dodgy deals and stand by as millions of £ of public money got wasted or directed into buddies pockets, why should we all stick to the straight and narrow?

You are very quick to point the finger at anyone not in your gang, it would make a pleasant change if you actually stopped defending the indefensible.

Just watching the news and the government’s latest wheeze to give neighbours a right to block planning applications. To quote you, “dear God.”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

The PM of the UK an “ordinary Joe,” really? You don’t think that our PM should uphold higher standards than us mere mortals? 

I did t say he was, I said he should be treated like one. A subtle difference obviously too complicated for you to grasp. 

It’s nothing to do with “standards” or morals or any other sort of pony, that’s for voters/his party to decide. When it comes to the law, he shouldn’t be above it, or treated more harshly than anyone else. You clearly want people treated differently depending on their position in society. 

• Like 1

The level of whataboutary from our right leaning friends is lamentable.  I don’t give a tinkers cuss about Starmer he is not the PM, he has not been definitely shown  to have lied to parliament, he has not been found guilty by the police, he has (to date) not been fined. The idiot parading as our PM has been, in most peoples minds, shown to have lied to parliament, he has been found guilty and fined, with the real possibility of more fines to follow.  Yet there are still those who would defend him, this issue transcends party politics, it is about honour, dignity and trust, none of which Johnson possesses, and that his why he should resign, not because Starmer, Blackfoot or any other opposition politician says it but because his behaviour is indefensible and resigning is the right thing to do.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, moonraker said:

The level of whataboutary from our right leaning friends is lamentable.  I don’t give a tinkers cuss about Starmer he is not the PM, he has not been definitely shown  to have lied to parliament, he has not been found guilty by the police, he has (to date) not been fined. The idiot parading as our PM has been, in most peoples minds, shown to have lied to parliament, he has been found guilty and fined, with the real possibility of more fines to follow.  Yet there are still those who would defend him, this issue transcends party politics, it is about honour, dignity and trust, none of which Johnson possesses, and that is why he should resign, not because Starmer, Blackfoot or any other opposition politician says it but because his behaviour is indefensible and resigning is the right thing to do.  

The highlighted bit in red is why the highlighted bit in blue will never happen.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Do we all agree with the Tory MP who says it is perfectly possible to cook healthy and nutritious meals for 30p per day ?

God I really hope the Tories get buried in 2024 and aren't seen again for a very long time.  What an aborrant excuse for a political party.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I did t say he was, I said he should be treated like one. A subtle difference obviously too complicated for you to grasp. 

It’s nothing to do with “standards” or morals or any other sort of pony, that’s for voters/his party to decide. When it comes to the law, he shouldn’t be above it, or treated more harshly than anyone else. You clearly want people treated differently depending on their position in society. 

And you clearly will carry on defending the indefensible till hell freezes over. The point has been made enough times. I am not making it anymore. You should get a job with the Daily Mail.

3 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Do we all agree with the Tory MP who says it is perfectly possible to cook healthy and nutritious meals for 30p per day ?

Needs to be coupled with great shoplifting skills.

Although don’t know details but people can get hysterical and lift out of context. There is a point to be made on some of the shit people buy when can buy cheaper more nutritious options. That’s if you can afford to put the hob on of course

Edited by whelk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Yes. If you grow your own vegs and rear your own cattle 

23 hours ago, whelk said:

What I mentioned

DOne a couple of lines before he got on the camera by the looks of him. Rack 'em up Govey.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

He needs to have a word with the prison service as they appear to have been wasting tax payers money since 2019 (way before the current price increases!).  Back then they were spending 67.3p per meal (and that's with free labour thrown in as well!).

https://questions-statements.parliament.uk/written-questions/detail/2019-02-19/HL13845/

Her Majesty’s Prison and Probation Service (HMPPS) allocates food budgets to prisons based on £2.02 per prisoner per day, which covers the daily prisoner food and beverage requirements.

NB - for those that struggle with sarcasm, this is a sarcastic post and I really don't think the prison service have been wasting money with their budget of 67.3p per meal ;) 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

The Tory MP claiming you can cook meals for 30p per day claimed over £220 thousand in expenses in the year 2020/21.

What does she spend that on?

He was also a single parent, chose when to eat and grew up in a mining town.  Of course, if he was Labour, he would be a hero

11 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

What does she spend that on?

He was also a single parent, chose when to eat and grew up in a mining town.  Of course, if he was Labour, he would be a hero

A lot of it is actually business related, but is above the average claim, and comes on top of his £84k salary. He is also on a personal protest by not attending or otherwise watching England games in protest at the players taking the knee.

And if he was Labour and came out with the same trite condescension he would be rightly lambasted.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 2

Just now, badgerx16 said:

A lot of it is actually business related, but is above the average claim, and comes on top of his £84k salary. He is also on a personal protest by not attending or otherwise watching England games in protest at the players taking the knee.

He would be a hero for Labour with his working-class background.  He is probably one of few in parliament that have lived in poverty, yet his views (which have merit) get dismissed.

I guess unless you are Labour you can't comment.  If you are not a politician, you must spend you money on scratch cards and cider to hold a valid comment

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

He would be a hero for Labour with his working-class background.  He is probably one of few in parliament that have lived in poverty, yet his views (which have merit) get dismissed.

I guess unless you are Labour you can't comment.  If you are not a politician, you must spend you money on scratch cards and cider to hold a valid comment

Come on, tell us how you can feed yourself on 30p per day.

• Like 1

So our caring Cabinet have been covering themselves in glory yet again.

Their idea of “levelling up” is to break into various different dialects during an interview and their idea in helping out during the cost of living crisis is to tell us not to shop at Waitrose, to chose supermarket own brands and to spend 30p only on a meal each day.

Anyone got any ideas of what you can buy in a supermarket for 30p?

Dear God!

Edited by sadoldgit

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Until March 2018 Leigh Anderson was a member of the Labour party. A Labour local councillor he defected to the Tories and became an MP. 

A quick Google of his views indicates that there are a lot of categories of people that he doesn't like. A narcissistic nasty piece of work, he would probably fit in well in the current Conservative cabinet. 

• Like 2

Every time Anderson opens his mouth something ugly, ignorant or dangerous comes tumbling out.

His CV reads like a fucking car crash and he's clearly a hypocrite who enjoys the company of extremists and will say anything to gain the votes of any lunatic fringe.

His opinions on food poverty support the theory that he is one of the thickest and more unpleasant MPs - quite an achievement as this is a very competitive category in 2022.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, farawaysaint said:

Last week I bought vegetables and pretty much nothing else for the week and the total was about 3gbp per day. 30p is impossible.

It is possible to cook a meal for 30p, if you're cooking for large numbers and can benefit from economies of scale.

It isn't possible, however, to maintain a balanced, nutritious diet, incorporating your 5 a day and getting all the necessary vitamins and minerals, living solely on 30p meals. You'd be seeing the doctor for scurvy in a pretty short time if you tried.

Edited by Sheaf Saint
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, farawaysaint said:

Last week I bought vegetables and pretty much nothing else for the week and the total was about 3gbp per day. 30p is impossible.

Mon - Fed by lobbyists

Tue - Fed by pointless civic ceremony/ awards do

Wed - Fed by dodgy extremist chums

Thu - Fed by second job company, where lucrative 4 days a months are spent.

Fri - Fed by dodgy connection, hoping for a peerage.

Sat - Fed at sporting event laid on by company with interests soon to be voted on.

Sun - Fed by other parts of the family.

On a sour note, dropped 30p during the week.

More red meat for the thick. They have made the services shit but now too many staff. Yeah get rid of some of those loafers at DVLA and Passport office. I know someone very senior at HMRC and she says service been deteriorating massively from ‘efficiency reorganisations’ which has led to brain drain. We are run by idiots

• Like 4

Also what is focus group feedback on Rees-Mogg. Obviously the likes of Duckhunter have a hardon for bowing to superior ruling upper class accent but surely most must see this cunt for what he is and can’t be helping their popularity?

1 hour ago, whelk said:

More red meat for the thick. They have made the services shit but now too many staff. Yeah get rid of some of those loafers at DVLA and Passport office. I know someone very senior at HMRC and she says service been deteriorating massively from ‘efficiency reorganisations’ which has led to brain drain. We are run by idiots

You can see what will happen.

Staff numbers at places like the Passport Office will be cut. The service will get even worse and then JRM or Priti Patel will decide that the service will be provided by a private company . A private company whose shareholders are mates of the Tories / drinking buddies of Hancock etc etc 

26 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

You can see what will happen.

Staff numbers at places like the Passport Office will be cut. The service will get even worse and then JRM or Priti Patel will decide that the service will be provided by a private company . A private company whose shareholders are mates of the Tories / drinking buddies of Hancock etc etc 

In the latter years  of the Thatcher/Major run of Tory Governments one Government department got rid of a number of staff and replaced them with contract staff. This led to the Minister reporting a saving on the Department salary bill because although the cost of the contractors was higher  it came out of a central pot rather than being the responsibility of the Department itself.

2 hours ago, whelk said:

Having worked in the Criminal Justice System at the height of Tory austerity measures, each year we were told to cut staff and close buildings to save x amount of money. We started off as Kent and ended up as Kent/Surrey/Sussex, closing offices in Medway, Maidstone and Guildford. The workload didn’t get any less, in fact it went up, yet we had fewer people to do it so efficiency went down. This was the same for the police, the probation service and the court service. Someone on the radio this morning made a good point. Where has this figure come from? Where are the in-depth plans to show how efficiencies will be made with no deterioration to service? As with the Rwanda scheme, it is just another ill-thought out scheme presented to the gullible as the Tories taking action. It certainly worked for one guy on the phone in programme (was it you Duckie?) who said that most public sector workers didn’t have to work hard for their living and had a cushy number. Towards the end of my time at the CPS more and more people were off sick with stress and mental health issues because they couldn’t  cope with the workload. Take nearly 100k people  out of public service and it can only put more pressure on services and people already at full stretch. Great, it frees up money to use on other things, likes benefits for the 90,000 people plus who will be jobless.

Edited by sadoldgit
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Having worked in the Criminal Justice System at the height of Tory austerity measures, each year we were told to cut staff and close buildings to save x amount of money. We started off as Kent and ended up as Kent/Surrey/Sussex, closing offices in Medway, Maidstone and Guildford. The workload didn’t get any less, in fact it went up, yet we had fewer people to do it so efficiency went down. This was the same for the police, the probation service and the court service. Someone on the radio this morning made a good point. Where has this figure come from? Where are the in-depth plans to show how efficiencies will be made with no deterioration to service? As with the Rwanda scheme, it is just another ill-thought out scheme presented to the gullible as the Tories taking action. It certainly worked for one guy on the phone in programme (was it you Duckie?) who said that most public sector workers didn’t have to work hard for their living and had a cushy number. Towards the end of my time at the CPS more and more people were off sick with stress and mental health issues because they couldn’t  cope with the workload. Take nearly 100k people  out of public service and it can only put more pressure on services and people already at full stretch. Great, it frees up money to use on other things, likes benefits for the 90,000 people plus who will be jobless.

Workload or workmates?

Why would the 90,000 people be jobless?  You paint the picture that that public sector workers are very hard working, diligent, intelligent individuals.  Surely they will be snapped up to fill the current (April 2022 figures) 1.3 million job vacancies?

Your crazy last sentence seems to be suggesting that public sector workers aren't employable once they have left the public sector.  I suspect that's not true.

19 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Were you doing this as the same time as you were prosecuting rape and domenstic violence cases like you claimed you did a few months ago? 

5 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Workload or workmates?

Why would the 90,000 people be jobless?  You paint the picture that that public sector workers are very hard working, diligent, intelligent individuals.  Surely they will be snapped up to fill the current (April 2022 figures) 1.3 million job vacancies?

Your crazy last sentence seems to be suggesting that public sector workers aren't employable once they have left the public sector.  I suspect that's not true.

I worked in local government for a year and it was an absolute piece of piss. Flexi time, a day off the next month if you did 7 hours over time on your 37 hour week, easy but dull as f*ck job and really easy to take the piss with sick leave. People would get signed off with "stress" all the time, come back for a week then get signed off again. Also plenty of "bad backs" and endless complaints about being short staffed but no one ever put an extra shift in like they do in the private sector, doing extra hours, taking on more responsibility often without pay is standard practise in the industry i work in now. I guess some people just dont like hard and cant cope with working hard.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I worked in local government for a year and it was an absolute piece of piss. Flexi time, a day off the next month if you did 7 hours over time on your 37 hour week, easy but dull as f*ck job and really easy to take the piss with sick leave. People would get signed off with "stress" all the time, come back for a week then get signed off again. Also plenty of "bad backs" and endless complaints about being short staffed but no one ever put an extra shift in like they do in the private sector, doing extra hours, taking on more responsibility often without pay is standard practise in the industry i work in now. I guess some people just dont like hard and cant cope with working hard.

If what you’re saying is true (and I’ve no reason to doubt you), reform is clearly needed. It’s going to be the mother of all battles and I’m not sure Boris has the spine to see it through. A bit of Maggie needed. 

I know of civil servants who have yet to work a single day back in their office since Mar 2020 (let alone partake in any hybrid work routine), as they believe it is still too dangerous.  Of course, the local union reps are all over it.  

Insanely low output from those painted as brave public servants.  Of course, being a brave public servant did not include working a single minute of a weekend during lockdown (as the contract did not allow it).  

After 6 months in the civil service, you are almost untouchable.  That is not to say many are very good, hard workers, but this current state just cannot continue just from the little I see.

I kid you not, one of the union reps at our place had to have the day after the General Election off for a 'period of reflection' as he was absolutely certain that Corbyn was going to win. WTF!

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

If what you’re saying is true (and I’ve no reason to doubt you), reform is clearly needed. It’s going to be the mother of all battles and I’m not sure Boris has the spine to see it through. A bit of Maggie needed. 

Are you really suggesting that because of Turkish's singular experience (and let's be honest, it's hardly the most unbiased sample) the government needs to instigate a reform of the whole of the public sector?  I never knew he had that much power.

• Haha 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to The United Kingdom and the Death of Boris Johnson as we know it.