The United Kingdom and the Death of Boris Johnson as we know it.

CB Fry

SWF (Non Legally Binding) General Election  

193 members have voted

1. 1. SWF (Non Legally Binding) General Election

• Conservatives
    • Labour
    • Liberals
    • UKIP
    • Green
    • Brexit
    • Change UK
    • Other

On 03/05/2022 at 11:25, sadoldgit said:

Careful or you will have the usual suspects jumping all over you telling you that you don’t know the difference between a general election and local elections! I agree though that if the Tories loose large numbers of seats and control of local councils the pressure will mount on Johnson. He will no doubt brush it off as mid terms blues, promise to double down and focus on the important issues of the day (shagging, photo opportunities, finding new ways of not resigning etc.) and carry on being just as deceitful and as useless as before. The question is at what point will those who pull the strings within the party say enough is enough? Their golden boy waiting in the wings has blotted his copy book and there doesn’t seem to be another leader in waiting lined up yet (please don’t mention Truss, Dorries, Raab, in fact any of those who have had a high profile under Johnson).  It is depressing to think that we have another two years of this but if the Great British public can be arsed to get out of their collective armchairs and stupor this Thursday maybe we will have a reason to be a bit more optimistic about the future come Friday morning.

IS this your missus?

(2337) Not My Prime Minister Woman - YouTube

10 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

The Rwanda deportation scheme is on hold for 'many months' after legal challenges are submitted. Priti promised the first flights would occur this month.

Exactly what they wanted to happen. They set an elephant trap and soft arsed lefties walked right into it. It’s a policy devised to highlight the divide between the way they want to deal with immigrants, and how opposition parties want to. The more this policy is attacked, the more legal opposition to it, the more the Tories can change the narrative. It’s a win win, it covers up their failure to stop the boats, and also allows them to portray their opponents as soft on illegal immigrants. 

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Exactly what they wanted to happen. They set an elephant trap and soft arsed lefties walked right into it. It’s a policy devised to highlight the divide between the way they want to deal with immigrants, and how opposition parties want to. The more this policy is attacked, the more legal opposition to it, the more the Tories can change the narrative. It’s a win win, it covers up their failure to stop the boats, and also allows them to portray their opponents as soft on illegal immigrants. 

Any cunning plan devised by this cabinet carries less weight than all of Baldrick’s put together.

33 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Any cunning plan devised by this cabinet carries less weight than all of Baldrick’s put together.

You’re so dopey you can’t even see it. The prorogation of Parliament was the same, lefties howling with outrage, yet to the ordinary Joe it showed how badly he wanted to deliver Brexit. Ended up with a massive majority and you clueless clowns wondered why. Mark my words, this will be the same. The ordinary Joes support it, the more you soft arsed lefties howl about it, the more they’ll like it. 

Can’t believe the Mail have given up on Starmer’s beer.  7 days is nothing to give up as yet to get any traction.

ahh Rwanda coming in and lefties. Whilst some marvel at it being ‘clever’ it is a fck all story that doesn’t resonate as much as whoeve the Cummings replacement is thinks.

9D4F2656-7B3F-4795-AFFF-C63B21AAB665.png

Edited by whelk
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, whelk said:

Can’t believe the Mail have given up on Starmer’s beer.  7 days is nothing to give up as yet to get any traction.

ahh Rwanda coming in and lefties. Whilst some marvel at it being ‘clever’ it is a fck all story that doesn’t resonate as much as whoeve the Cummings replacement is thinks.

9D4F2656-7B3F-4795-AFFF-C63B21AAB665.png

It's strange how the Party of Law and Order don't like it when the Law is used against them. Maybe Duckie can nip over to the Mail's headquarters and point out that this is all some cunning plan to trick the 'Left'.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

You’re so dopey you can’t even see it. The prorogation of Parliament was the same, lefties howling with outrage, yet to the ordinary Joe it showed how badly he wanted to deliver Brexit. Ended up with a massive majority and you clueless clowns wondered why. Mark my words, this will be the same. The ordinary Joes support it, the more you soft arsed lefties howl about it, the more they’ll like it. 

Clueless Brexit fixated clowns like you make me laugh. Johnson got his majority last time because the alternative was a Commie. As simple as that. Nothing to do with proroguing Parliament.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Turkish said:

The best thing about Johnson is you hate him so much and it winds you up so much and there is nothing you can do about it apart from type furiously away on your computer working yourself up into a frothy mess. 

Really? That's the best thing about our PM for you is it? The fact that he's such a useless c*nt, he invokes anger in someone you like to pretend you don't have an online obsession with but quite clearly do?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Really? That's the best thing about our PM for you is it? The fact that he's such a useless c*nt, he invokes anger in someone you like to pretend you don't have an online obsession with but quite clearly do?

Yep it's frigging hilarious Soggy having daily meltdowns across multi social media platforms about it. If there is one thing that makes his bullshit more enjoyable it's some old boy in Romney Marsh preparing his next angrily worded forum post. We all know he's a useless cunt but not everyone blames him for their personal debt :lol: 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

Clueless Brexit fixated clowns like you make me laugh. Johnson got his majority last time because the alternative was a Commie.

Funny how May didn’t get one against the same “Commie”. 

Keep kidding yourself that Brexit had nothing to do with it, and keep on losing. Clueless lefties like you just don’t get it. 

3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Funny how May didn’t get one against the same “Commie”. 

Keep kidding yourself that Brexit had nothing to do with it, and keep on losing. Clueless lefties like you just don’t get it. 

Typical Duckie. Change the subject. Your original point was about the proroguing of Parliament. Now it is the whole Brexit issue.

And by the way... If you cannot argue a point without bandying phrases like "Clueless, "soft arsed lefties,"  "Clueless lefties like you" you really shouldn't try. They just make you look a childish prat. 

Edited by Tamesaint

10 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

Clueless Brexit fixated clowns like you make me laugh. Johnson got his majority last time because the alternative was a Commie. As simple as that. Nothing to do with proroguing Parliament.

36 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

And by the way... If you cannot argue a point without bandying phrases like "Clueless, "soft arsed lefties,"  "Clueless lefties like you" you really shouldn't try. They just make you look a childish prat. 

What about childish hypocrite? 

B967B58B-F1B7-433A-AFF9-F2E38A061CCF.jpeg

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

You’re so dopey you can’t even see it. The prorogation of Parliament was the same, lefties howling with outrage, yet to the ordinary Joe it showed how badly he wanted to deliver Brexit. 

40 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Typical Duckie. Change the subject. Your original point was about the proroguing of Parliament. Now it is the whole Brexit issue.

My original point was proroguing Parliament showed how much he wanted to deliver Brexit. I never said for one minute he won a majority solely because of that one act. He won a majority because the public saw he needed a mandate to deliver Brexit, the proroguing and opposition to it, played into his narrative. 

You of course think that he only won a majority because he was up against a “commie”. If that were true, then May would have won one too as she was up against the same “commie”.  

42 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What about childish hypocrite? 

Yes. You have clearly noticed that I used the same phrases as you used in your original post.

After reflection , I decided that to do this was to bring myself down to your level.  I regretted doing so.

Perhaps a few minutes spent in self reflection would do you the power of good. It would certainly improve the standard of your posts.

• Like 1

A political correspondant on QT says that Tory MPs she has spoken to say they want to move on and keep Boris - because they cannot see a 'viable alternative leader'. What a condemnation of the Government front bench.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, whelk said:

Lost Southampton council then. 

And that buffoon Royston Smith is still saying Boris Johnson is the right man to lead the country. 

Tories down to one Councillor in Eastleigh and lost control of Portsmouth. Fareham still Tory though, never thought you could trust anyone from there.

• Like 3

A prominent tory asked for better talent to be brought into the cabinet. This might be the end for some of the useless sycophants. Johnson will definitely throw them under the bus if he has to and hopefully this results in a few disgruntled lackey briefing against the blond buffoon. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

A prominent tory asked for better talent to be brought into the cabinet. This might be the end for some of the useless sycophants. Johnson will definitely throw them under the bus if he has to and hopefully this results in a few disgruntled lackey briefing against the blond buffoon. 

Having met the likes of David Willetts recently through work it was a stark contrast to the utter Brexit imbeciles Boris has stuffed his cabinet with. Very bright, engaged, flexible, good ideas. Instead, the public went with populism and instead we have Dorries, Dowden, Raab C Nesbit, Rees Mogg, Patel and Truss - and even the likes of Sunak have found to be a fraud. Anyone voting for that lot needs to give their head a shake. Whether people agreed with Thatcher or not, she had ministers with the calibre of Ken Clarke, Kenneth Baker, Heseltine, Howe and Hurd. Only a couple of joke ones eg Currie that belong in the current shower.

OK night for Labour but I’ve never rated Labour or Tory councils. Best councils in the areas I’ve lived in are always Lib Dem, keep it tidy, invest in the right places and work well with independent members. Andy Burnham would wipe the floor with the Tories at national level, don’t know how long he has to go as Manchester Mayor? Ditto, Andy Street West Midlands Mayor would revive the Tories - 1x million better than they have. 

The Cat - Fareham elected Braverman with a thumping majority so can’t be surprised they’ve voted for more garbage. 

Edited by saint1977

19 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Labour take Westminster from the Tories for the first time in over 50 years.

Looking like a strong night for Labour on the whole.  Holding their seats in the red wall compared to 2018 is a massive improvement on the nose dive in 2019 and they're continuing to dominate increasingly in London and the southern Cities.  Libs also taking seats off Tories.

Will be interesting to see Scotland and Wales comes through as they were the areas projected to be most damanging for the Tories/beneficial for Labour.

Anyone voting for a Labour run council in Southampton is a window licker. 

The Tories might be massive cunts but they were actually making positive changes for our city and undoing some of the wrongs made by the previous Labour run council. 

Enjoy the gridlock when the Labour idiots turn Northam Bridge and Bassett Avenue back into single carriageways. 

Hearing a lot from Johnson supporters that we need his “bold” leadership. Really? Probably the worst PM in living history leading the most inept cabinet in living history.

Starmer’s problem will be hoovering up enough of the protest votes to make a difference. As we know, the first past the post system works better for the Tories than it does for the opposition parties and I’d like to see Starmer work closely with Davey up to get this dreadful government out. No surprise to see LibDems picking up a lot of Tory defectors, but splitting the vote only helps Johnson.

The cost of living crisis is already hitting hard but the worst is to come. At some point even the most blinkered of Tories must see that “ordinary” people have been screwed over time and again by these people and it is time to take their votes elsewhere.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Hearing a lot from Johnson supporters that we need his “bold” leadership. Really? Probably the worst PM in living history leading the most inept cabinet in living history.

Starmer’s problem will be hoovering up enough of the protest votes to make a difference. As we know, the first past the post system works better for the Tories than it does for the opposition parties and I’d like to see Starmer work closely with Davey up to get this dreadful government out. No surprise to see LibDems picking up a lot of Tory defectors, but splitting the vote only helps Johnson.

The cost of living crisis is already hitting hard but the worst is to come. At some point even the most blinkered of Tories must see that “ordinary” people have been screwed over time and again by these people and it is time to take their votes elsewhere.

Surely Starmers problem is that they aren't the answer either?

54 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Surely Starmers problem is that they aren't the answer either?

I think most people would agree there isnt much quality in any of the parties. Its a choice between 'crap but mostly honest' and 'crap and mostly dishonest'  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, buctootim said:

I think most people would agree there isnt much quality in any of the parties. Its a choice between 'crap but mostly honest' and 'crap and mostly dishonest'  

I think we have seen that “charisma” itself isn’t such a big deal. Starmer may lack it, but we won’t know if he or his government will be crap at the job until they do it. It is clear that one party wants to do something about the plight of most of us and another are just looking to put sticking plasters on the would whilst looking after the most well off. I’d rather have a PM who listened to the problems and tried to do something about them for everybody (which I think Starmer will try to do) than this bunch of self serving incompetents who clearly don’t give a stuff about us. We know the current government are crap because they prove it every day. We won’t know if the opposition are crap until they do the job themselves.

2 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I think we have seen that “charisma” itself isn’t such a big deal. Starmer may lack it, but we won’t know if he or his government will be crap at the job until they do it. It is clear that one party wants to do something about the plight of most of us and another are just looking to put sticking plasters on the would whilst looking after the most well off. I’d rather have a PM who listened to the problems and tried to do something about them for everybody (which I think Starmer will try to do) than this bunch of self serving incompetents who clearly don’t give a stuff about us. We know the current government are crap because they prove it every day. We won’t know if the opposition are crap until they do the job themselves.

I know you're pretending i'm on ignore but the fact remains if the opposition was even remotely credible they'd have smashed the tories out of the park in the last two elections. As it was they lost by a huge margin. The argument that they might be crap but they need to prove their crap before we know is ridiculous. You might kill yourself by driving head first into a tree but no one would advocate trying it just to find out would they. The Tories and Johnson are awful, but the fact they're carried on so long is says more about how bloody awful the opposition is. Corbyn was a joke and whilst Starmer is an improvement he's hardly someone to get you behind him, at least Blair had something about him. 

44 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I know you're pretending i'm on ignore but the fact remains if the opposition was even remotely credible they'd have smashed the tories out of the park in the last two elections. As it was they lost by a huge margin. The argument that they might be crap but they need to prove their crap before we know is ridiculous. You might kill yourself by driving head first into a tree but no one would advocate trying it just to find out would they. The Tories and Johnson are awful, but the fact they're carried on so long is says more about how bloody awful the opposition is. Corbyn was a joke and whilst Starmer is an improvement he's hardly someone to get you behind him, at least Blair had something about him. 

coming to a Labour run ward near you 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, RedArmy said:

The Tories might be massive cunts but they were actually making positive changes for our city and undoing some of the wrongs made by the previous Labour run council. 

Enjoy the gridlock when the Labour idiots turn Northam Bridge and Bassett Avenue back into single carriageways. 

Sore loser ?

Just now, badgerx16 said:

Sore loser ?

I do not think anyone was the winner from this election.  Tories took a beating, but no where near as expected.  Labour did alright, probably enough to ensure Starmer limps to the election.

Back to cake and curry next week then

8 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

coming to a Labour run ward near you 

I'm assuming that's fake / staged?

If not, how do you know either involved is a migrant?

How do you stab someone at least 15 times, yet have a nice clean shiny knife blade and zero traces of blood on the pavement?

'Usama Bin Liner' is presumably a racist parody....

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

Charisma is an important part of being a leader. It isnt too much to expect that the Prime Minister of 65 million people will have a full set of skills - intelligence, competence, work ethic, honesty and ability to engage people.  

Edited by buctootim
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RedArmy said:

I start with the caveat that I’ve not lived in Soton for 20 years but there are many familiar faces amongst the councillors. What I found was that there were decent individual members who could work cross party and others who were siloed to their little fiefdom and didn’t give a toss about the city area as whole. The dynamics within the parties were terrible so you effectively had six or seven parties in effect within the cabinet. Hence there’s never really been a single voice as there’s been in other areas who do attract investment, well before the levelling up agenda. 

All of 3 main parties have led the council at different points but none have made significant inroads into issues which haven’t changed since I did live there - transport, education, skills agenda, regeneration (West Quay has been a mixed bag) and inward investment, which has traditionally under-performed. Soton Uni is losing significant student numbers every year recently which is a big economic risk. 

The light rail transport system if the authorities had the courage to go for it, would have helped, like Newcastle and Sunderland have with the metro, but a Solent version. 

Edited by saint1977

3 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

As we know, the first past the post system works better for the Tories than it does for the opposition parties 

You don’t half come out with some old pony. FPTP doesn’t benefit the Tories any more than it benefits Labour. In fact it takes on average less votes to elect a labour MP than a Tory one (although the Tories winning in the red wall and losing some of their traditional heartlands, together with boundary changes have reduced this somewhat). FPTP favours both big parties equally. Instead of blaming the system, try and understand that the reason we have a Tory PM, is because more people wanted to be represented by a Tory MP than any other party.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, saint1977 said:

Having met the likes of David Willetts recently through work it was a stark contrast to the utter Brexit imbeciles Boris has stuffed his cabinet with. Very bright, engaged, flexible, good ideas. Instead, the public went with populism and instead we have Dorries, Dowden, Raab C Nesbit, Rees Mogg, Patel and Truss - and even the likes of Sunak have found to be a fraud. Anyone voting for that lot needs to give their head a shake. Whether people agreed with Thatcher or not, she had ministers with the calibre of Ken Clarke, Kenneth Baker, Heseltine, Howe and Hurd. Only a couple of joke ones eg Currie that belong in the current shower.

OK night for Labour but I’ve never rated Labour or Tory councils. Best councils in the areas I’ve lived in are always Lib Dem, keep it tidy, invest in the right places and work well with independent members. Andy Burnham would wipe the floor with the Tories at national level, don’t know how long he has to go as Manchester Mayor? Ditto, Andy Street West Midlands Mayor would revive the Tories - 1x million better than they have. 

The Cat - Fareham elected Braverman with a thumping majority so can’t be surprised they’ve voted for more garbage. 

This is my problem with this government, it is full of talentless nomarks. First you want the government of your choice failing that you want a competent government and I could maybe handle Johnson if he was surrounded by a decent cabinet. But this shower of shit are awful, it's a bunch of aggressive opposition distrupters that find themselves in charge and they can't do it.

Likewise, we have a couple of decent Tories around here; Tom Tugendhat, Tracy Crouch and Greg Clarke who are liked by people I know who haved worked with them. But they have either voted against Johnson or resigned in protest, so they are out in the cold.

There is something about Andy Burnham, I think he could do a good job and the Mayor roles are becoming decent proving grounds for political leaders. There is chatter about David Milliband coming back, although I think that ship has sailed. 

We are still in a difficult time for Labour, the GE is still 3 years away, so whilst they need to start standing for something, they can't reveal their hand too soon.

My fear is that Steve Baker and the wideboys gun for Johnson on anti net zero issues as Johnson is too green for them and we get someone competent but more right wing. 

58 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

I start with the caveat that I’ve not lived in Soton for 20 years but there are many familiar faces amongst the councillors. What I found was that there were decent individual members who could work cross party and others who were siloed to their little fiefdom and didn’t give a toss about the city area as whole. The dynamics within the parties were terrible so you effectively had six or seven parties in effect within the cabinet. Hence there’s never really been a single voice as there’s been in other areas who do attract investment, well before the levelling up agenda. 

All of 3 main parties have led the council at different points but none have made significant inroads into issues which haven’t changed since I did live there - transport, education, skills agenda, regeneration (West Quay has been a mixed bag) and inward investment, which has traditionally under-performed. Soton Uni is losing significant student numbers every year recently which is a big economic risk. 

The light rail transport system if the authorities had the courage to go for it, would have helped, like Newcastle and Sunderland have with the metro, but a Solent version. 

That's a fabulous idea and badly needed but this government won't put up the money for it. The South is ignored and any transport investment goes up North. Hampshire County Council had extensive plans for one twenty years ago but it all got stamped on from above. Now this government is threatening Southampton City Council with fines for breaching air quality. There was even a three line whip to vote down the people mover proposal. A three line whip !

There was a proposal for a rail link through Fareham to Gosport and under the harbour to Portsmouth but that got trodden down too. This whole south Hampshire area is crying out for a light rail/ tram system but down here we are just seen as cash cows to be milked.

What ever happened to that South Coast Motorway from Devon to Dover?

• Lighthouse changed the title to The United Kingdom and the Death of Boris Johnson as we know it.