The United Kingdom and the Death of Boris Johnson as we know it.

CB Fry

SWF (Non Legally Binding) General Election  

193 members have voted

1. 1. SWF (Non Legally Binding) General Election

• Conservatives
    • Labour
    • Liberals
    • UKIP
    • Green
    • Brexit
    • Change UK
    • Other

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I worked in local government for a year and it was an absolute piece of piss. Flexi time, a day off the next month if you did 7 hours over time on your 37 hour week, easy but dull as f*ck job and really easy to take the piss with sick leave. People would get signed off with "stress" all the time, come back for a week then get signed off again. Also plenty of "bad backs" and endless complaints about being short staffed but no one ever put an extra shift in like they do in the private sector, doing extra hours, taking on more responsibility often without pay is standard practise in the industry i work in now. I guess some people just dont like hard and cant cope with working hard.

If you worked in local government, then you'd know that local government isn't the Civil Service. The news today today is about cuts to Civil Service headcount.

• Like 3

Funny how all the gammon have anecdotes about lazy public sector.  With the intelligence displayed , or lack of, I would suspect not even the public sector would require the skills of many of the posters here.

Edited by whelk
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I worked in local government for a year and it was an absolute piece of piss. Flexi time, a day off the next month if you did 7 hours over time on your 37 hour week, easy but dull as f*ck job and really easy to take the piss with sick leave. People would get signed off with "stress" all the time, come back for a week then get signed off again. Also plenty of "bad backs" and endless complaints about being short staffed but no one ever put an extra shift in like they do in the private sector, doing extra hours, taking on more responsibility often without pay is standard practise in the industry i work in now. I guess some people just dont like hard and cant cope with working hard.

How long ago was that? I thought you were some high flier in the paper industry or similar?

my biggest experience of seeing wasters stealing a living has been in the oil industry.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Workload or workmates?

Why would the 90,000 people be jobless?  You paint the picture that that public sector workers are very hard working, diligent, intelligent individuals.  Surely they will be snapped up to fill the current (April 2022 figures) 1.3 million job vacancies?

Your crazy last sentence seems to be suggesting that public sector workers aren't employable once they have left the public sector.  I suspect that's not true.

Will be achieved through recruitment freezes. But still impacts negatively in skills and experience go and not replaced. Then same people like you will be moaning about state of services. It’s why they had the comical bollocks in Stoke to come up with unthought out shite for the gullible to swallow.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I know of civil servants who have yet to work a single day back in their office since Mar 2020 (let alone partake in any hybrid work routine), as they believe it is still too dangerous.  Of course, the local union reps are all over it.  

Insanely low output from those painted as brave public servants.  Of course, being a brave public servant did not include working a single minute of a weekend during lockdown (as the contract did not allow it).  

After 6 months in the civil service, you are almost untouchable.  That is not to say many are very good, hard workers, but this current state just cannot continue just from the little I see.

I kid you not, one of the union reps at our place had to have the day after the General Election off for a 'period of reflection' as he was absolutely certain that Corbyn was going to win. WTF!

So many lies in there don’t know where to start. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, whelk said:

Will be achieved through recruitment freezes. But still impacts negatively in skills and experience go and not replaced. Then same people like you will be moaning about state of services. It’s why they had the comical bollocks in Stoke to come up with unthought out shite for the gullible to swallow.

Same people like me :mcinnes:

Good job you keep banging on about everyone else being thick - distracts from your nonsense posts 😉

28 minutes ago, whelk said:

How long ago was that? I thought you were some high flier in the paper industry or similar?

my biggest experience of seeing wasters stealing a living has been in the oil industry.  

Yes that’s it top telesalesist in paper an printer cartridge industry, it’s incredible how some self depreciating joke from about 10 years ago has been made FACT on here….

if was a long time ago but from what I hear not a lot has changed. My former neighbour worked in the civil service, he wouldn’t win any endurance races put it that way. 

Edited by Turkish

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yes that’s it top telesalesist in paper an printer cartridge industry, it’s incredible how some self depreciating joke from about 10 years ago has been made FACT on here….

if was a long time ago but from what I hear not a lot has changed. My former neighbour worked in the civil service, he wouldn’t win any endurance races put it that way. 

There is a lack of resilience generally in society and sure public sector has its share but lazy to stereotype as so many key services depend on talented people not driven solely by remuneration. 
Funny how quickly  any respect for bin men, social workers etc evaporates now all the furloughed parasites are back at work 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Left Back said:

Are you really suggesting that because of Turkish's singular experience (and let's be honest, it's hardly the most unbiased sample) the government needs to instigate a reform of the whole of the public sector?  I never knew he had that much power.

Never underestimate who you might be speaking to on an anonymous football forum LB

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Fuck me it was a long time ago?!  Better tell your mate, he's advocating for reform based on your last post.

I'm currently working with both public and private sector and guess what? There's people putting in the effort and taking the piss in both.  The Tory announcements today are nothing to do with the anything other than the politics of division and distraction

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, whelk said:

There is a lack of resilience generally in society and sure public sector has its share but lazy to stereotype as so many key services depend on talented people not driven solely by remuneration. 
Funny how quickly  any respect for bin men, social workers etc evaporates now all the furloughed parasites are back at work 

We need more people like soggy who at the same as being a top rape prosecution lawyer was overseeing National cuts to the CJS and dealing with staff shortage and health issues of his staff. 

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

If what you’re saying is true (and I’ve no reason to doubt you), reform is clearly needed. It’s going to be the mother of all battles and I’m not sure Boris has the spine to see it through. A bit of Maggie needed. 

It's bollocks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Left Back said:

Fuck me it was a long time ago?!  Better tell your mate, he's advocating for reform based on your last post.

I'm currently working with both public and private sector and guess what? There's people putting in the effort and taking the piss in both.  The Tory announcements today are nothing to do with the anything other than the politics of division and distraction

When I worked in trhe Public Sector I used to have to supervise, guide, and correct the work of external software engineers who were being paid more than me. PS staff are an easy target for those who don't need the services they deliver, or are members of the Tax Payers Alliance. People should try being a Childrens' Services Social Worker for a month.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 3

Oh look. Instead of us discussing how stupid and counterproductive BJ's idea to save the economy by laying off a shit load of civil servants is, the usual suspects on here would prefer to talk about how lazy and privileged those civil servants are.

It's almost as if the whole story was intended just as a distraction.

Does anybody else smell the rotting carcass of a cat or is it just me?

• Like 6

22 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

When I worked in trhe Public Sector I used to have to supervise, guide, and correct the work of external software engineers who were being paid more than me. PS staff are an easy target for those who don't need the services they deliver, or are members of the Tax Payers Alliance. People should try being a Childrens' Services Social Worker for a month.

TPA is the same thing as the Tory Party - look at the sheer flow of staff from one to the other. TPA is effectively to the Tories what the academy is to SFC. Not funded by taxpayers either - Tory Billionaire donors and overseas oligarchs. What the likes of Matthew Sinclair hate is the fact that public support for railway renationalisation for example remains strong https://fullfact.org/economy/do-public-want-railways-renationalised/

I’ve recruited a lot of times over the years from all sectors - Banking, NHS, Telecoms, travel industry, professional sport, academia, Tory and Lib Dem party workers, civil society eg CAB, local government - and the vast majority have been great because they have been picked on their skills, experiences and successes. The small number of duds have been from a range of sectors as well. 

A lot of the posters commenting simply don’t have the level of recruiting experience across different sectors I’m afraid. Not surprising when there is such an ignorant and thick set of cabinet ministers in this government. Boris’s comments in the Mail today are hilarious about WFH - I know people who worked in the London Mayor’s office and he has the focus and concentration levels of a goldfish. 

Half of the fucking civil service posts since 2016 have only been added because of THEIR poxy Brexit (has JRM found any actual benefits yet - he was asked to start looking 18 months ago) and in particular their disorganised Brexit that left the UK woefully short of preparation and skilled negotiators. Notice as well how the fat oaf is now walking away from the NI protocol he agreed to in his ‘oven ready’ deal. A range of frontline workers saved this nation during the pandemic peak but you just knew this dreadful government would turn on some of them after clap for carers etc, worse conditions for delivery drivers with cost of living through the roof.

Edited by saint1977
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Boris’s comments in the Mail today are hilarious about WFH - I know people who worked in the London Mayor’s office and he has the focus and concentration levels of a goldfish. 

Just because he has the IQ of a mouse and gets distracted by cheese does not make a cogent argument against WFH.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

Just because he has the IQ of a mouse and gets distracted by cheese does not make a cogent argument against WFH.

I have a couple of mates who worked for the Foreign Office. Boris was looked upon as a bumbling buffoon who rarely read his briefing notes.

• Like 1

😂 Boris deranged syndrome is more contagious than Covid on here. Fuck me, 2 terms as London Mayor, winning the Brexit referendum  and a massive commons majority. Just shows how completely hopeless & out of touch Labour must be, rogered by a halfwitted goldfish. I don’t particularly rate the bloke, but he certainly upsets the right people. you lot are so out of touch. 

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Look at this right wing bigot

195982B8-408C-4152-B8D0-BD8347F951E5.png

11p for one lunch meal, not for the day. Let’s further ignore that the meal suggested is pita with dip which I don’t think is exactly what say a growing child would want or need in terms of a lunch meal. It’s a fancy food snacker blog meal not a solution for the poorest members of society.

Edited by farawaysaint
It’s late, I’m an idiot and I can’t math.
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

😂 Boris deranged syndrome is more contagious than Covid on here. Fuck me, 2 terms as London Mayor, winning the Brexit referendum  and a massive commons majority. Just shows how completely gullible some people can be.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

😂 Boris deranged syndrome is more contagious than Covid on here. Fuck me, 2 terms as London Mayor, winning the Brexit referendum  and a massive commons majority. Just shows how completely hopeless & out of touch Labour must be, rogered by a halfwitted goldfish. I don’t particularly rate the bloke, but he certainly upsets the right people. you lot are so out of touch. 

Do you think he is doing a good job?

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Look at this right wing bigot

195982B8-408C-4152-B8D0-BD8347F951E5.png

Ah so you've been following Julia Hately Brewer on Twitter then.

Obviously you are genuinely such a fucking idiot that you can't tell the difference between someone who once tried to commit suicide because of poverty showing how you can make a desperation meal for 11p if you absolutely have to, and a privileged MP suggesting people can actually sustain themselves on it without considering for one second the reasons why so many people in the country with the 5th largest economy in the world are forced to live in such poverty in the first place.

Congratulations on surpassing yourself. Maybe have a read of Jack's own words on the subject...

https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2022/05/12/whats-the-difference-between-jack-monroe-suggesting-budget-recipes-and-a-tory-mp/?amp=1

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fan The Flames said:

Do you think he is doing a good job?

Better than Corbyn would be, and that was the choice at the last election.

Better than Johnnie Mayor, who seems to be the lefties Tory of choice these days.

The funny thing is he’s a fucking  pinko, nearer to Sir Kier Starmer than the great lady. He’s a high spending  high tax Blairite that is only hated by the “intelligent people”  because he led the Leave campaign. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

57 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Better than Johnnie Mayor, who seems to be the lefties Tory of choice these days.

The funny thing is he’s a fucking  pinko, nearer to Sir Kier Starmer than the great lady. He’s a high spending  high tax Blairite that is only hated by the “intelligent people”  because he led the Leave campaign. 

You make no sense at all. Can’t decide if you are a WUM, a fascist or special needs 

Edited by The Left Back
Or all three
  • Like 2

His strange fascination with Thatcher tells you all you need to know. Anyone who refers to that dreadful person as the “great” or “iron lady” and his wife as a “snap dragon” clearly had a thing for dominatrix fantasies.

Edited by sadoldgit
Typo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I'll take that as a no then.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The funny thing is he’s a fucking  pinko, nearer to Sir Kier Starmer than the great lady. He’s a high spending  high tax Blairite that is only hated by the “intelligent people”  because he led the Leave campaign

To use your own way of putting it - pony!

I and many others despised the bloke long before he nailed his colours to that particular mast, because it was obvious even as far back as when he first appeared on HIGNFY what a loathsome excuse for a human being he is...

You keep referring to him as a Pinko, but in reality he isnt anything and doesn't fit into any pigeon hole. He is a man completely without substance or morals and who has no particular ideological principles. The only reason he decided to support Leave was because he saw which way the wind was blowing and decided that his own personal ambition was best served by opposing Cameron on the matter.

Only a few months before the 2016 referendum he was writing articles in support of staying in the EU. If he had stuck to his guns on that then you would undoubtedly have just as much contempt for him now as you showed to all the other pro-Remain Tories. But then sticking to his guns and staying true to what he believes is something of which the colossal prick is utterly incapable.

Edited by Sheaf Saint
  • Like 6

To be fair, even his own father doesn't have that much faith in him - one of his first questions when leaving the jungle was whether Boris was still foreign secretary, and he'd only been away for a couple of weeks!

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/im-a-celebrity-stanley-johnson-voted-out-jungle-boris_uk_5a28fb60e4b0fa7986121938

The politician’s father was keen to see if Boris hadn’t lost his job while he was in the jungle cut off from the world.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fan The Flames said:

I'll take that as a no then.

I’ve never particularly been a fan, posted as much when he was first appointed. But as a senior Labour politician said in relation to Bercow (I think it was Margaret Beckett )” Brexit trumps bad behaviour “. He was the only option to stop Brexit being stolen from the people, he was a vehicle to get it done. 

My point was, how bad are the opposition if they keep losing to him? It reminds me of a heavy Liverpool defeat when Shanks bollocked them all, with the unplayed sub quietly thinking “I knew he should of picked me”. Before he leaves the room Shanks turns to him and says “and as for you, how shit must you be, you can’t even get in this fucking  side”.  

Perhaps if Labour had better policies, and were more in tune with the ENGLISH voters, they wouldn’t have to vote for him. 

17 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

My point was, how bad are the opposition if they keep losing to him? 

2 reasons why he wins elections:

1. He has charisma and knows how to play the public . The upper class toff who comes out with funny remarks has always been  appealing to the English public. Eg Hugh Grant. He knows how to play this role. 

Unfortunately for him this image has a shelf life. 3 years into his Premiership he is approaching the end of his.  People get tired of this persona and expect better of their leaders. Liars lose their appeal - even when lying in a posh voice. The Tories lost 500 council seats under him, will most likely 2 more seats in upcoming by elections and will lose the next election if he is still leader. 

2. The opposition was headed by Jeremy Corbyn. A one legend man is more likely to win an arse kicking competition than Corbyn becoming Prime Minister.

44 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Perhaps if Labour had better policies, and were more in tune with the ENGLISH voters, they wouldn’t have to vote for him. 

Labour do have better, more popular policies. Numerous blind surveys over recent years repeatedly show that Labour's policies are more popular with the public than the Tories' are.

Unfortunately, it's not policies that win elections; it's personalities. People like Johnson, Trump etc.. are very good at telling the public exactly what they want to hear, and enough of the electorate are gullible enough to be taken in by their populism.

48 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Labour do have better, more popular policies. Numerous blind surveys over recent years repeatedly show that Labour's policies are more popular with the public than the Tories' are.

Unfortunately, it's not policies that win elections; it's personalities. People like Johnson, Trump etc.. are very good at telling the public exactly what they want to hear, and enough of the electorate are gullible enough to be taken in by their populism.

41 minutes ago, aintforever said:

The problem with our electoral system in a nutshell.

So, is it a problem with the system, per se, or a problem with too many thick people...? 🤔 ;)

Edited by trousers

12 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Ah so you've been following Julia Hately Brewer on Twitter then.

Obviously you are genuinely such a fucking idiot that you can't tell the difference between someone who once tried to commit suicide because of poverty showing how you can make a desperation meal for 11p if you absolutely have to, and a privileged MP suggesting people can actually sustain themselves on it without considering for one second the reasons why so many people in the country with the 5th largest economy in the world are forced to live in such poverty in the first place.

Congratulations on surpassing yourself. Maybe have a read of Jack's own words on the subject...

https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2022/05/12/whats-the-difference-between-jack-monroe-suggesting-budget-recipes-and-a-tory-mp/?amp=1

Apologies for quoting myself here but it felt like the best way to make the point.

Jack Monroe is now suing Lee Anderson for libellous comments he made about her in an interview. Good on her.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/may/15/food-writer-jack-monroe-sues-tory-mp-claims-she-makes-fortune-poor-lee-anderson

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

The problem is a system that creates too many thick people 😉

The system actively discourages the brightest and the best from becoming MP’s. We don’t pay them enough, we don’t allow them second jobs (or more accurately the court of public opinion doesn’t) & they’re under unbelievable scrutiny. Add to that the real threat of violence , why would any sane person, let alone a highly intelligent one, want to become an MP. 

• Like 1

I don't get this weird obsession with people working from home, I was probably more productive when I worked from home. According to my IT support guy, who services a load of companies in London, hybrid working is just normal now for much of the private sector. Makes sense to me, commuting is just a miserable, soul-destroying waste of time, money and energy.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Why are Labour losses always blamed on thick people?

Surely if Labour want to win an election, all they have to do is appeal to the thick people?  After all, we've been told ad-infinitum that it is the thickos that sway the vote every time.  Have Labour not learnt this?

2 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Surely if Labour want to win an election, all they have to do is appeal to the thick people?  After all, we've been told ad-infinitum that it is the thickos that sway the vote every time.  Have Labour not learnt this?

So what could Labour do to appeal to you?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I'm just making the point that anybody who believes a single word that comes out of Johnson's mouth, and thinks he's a nice man who can be totally trusted to serve the interests of the UK, has to be a bit simple.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I'm just making the point that anybody who believes a single word that comes out of Johnson's mouth, and thinks he's a nice man who can be totally trusted to serve the interests of the UK, has to be a bit simple.

Yet, that's the 'excuse' for Labour not winning the GE, when in reality - as LD has pointed out - there wasn't any credible opposition.

Labour's inability to recognise that they had an extremely unpopular leader was complicit in giving Johnson a [stonking!] majority government, so it's not a case of 'people trusting' what he says and therefore being 'a bit simple', but more to do with there is absolutely fuck all anyone can do about it because of Labour's incompetence to provide any sort of challenge in the last GE.

1 minute ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Yet, that's the 'excuse' for Labour not winning the GE, when in reality - as LD has pointed out - there wasn't any credible opposition.

Labour's inability to recognise that they had an extremely unpopular leader was complicit in giving Johnson a [stonking!] majority government, so it's not a case of 'people trusting' what he says and therefore being 'a bit simple', but more to do with there is absolutely fuck all anyone can do about it because of Labour's incompetence to provide any sort of challenge in the last GE.

Yeah, but thickos will always be thickos, innit? :)

• Lighthouse changed the title to The United Kingdom and the Death of Boris Johnson as we know it.