The United Kingdom and the Death of Boris Johnson as we know it.

CB Fry

SWF (Non Legally Binding) General Election  

193 members have voted

1. 1. SWF (Non Legally Binding) General Election

• Conservatives
    • Labour
    • Liberals
    • UKIP
    • Green
    • Brexit
    • Change UK
    • Other

5 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Sending them thousands of miles to a country with a poor record of human rights and leaving them there when they are applying to come here might appeal to the likes of Johnson, Patel, their cronies and the right wing xenophobes (feel free to include yourself in this list Duckie) 

It appealed to you earlier in the thread. Try and be a bit consistent man, otherwise you’ll make yourself look a bit of a plank. You called for overseas “clearing stations”, you’ve got your wish. Be happy, be nice. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Surely the point is to make the situation more efficient and better for all (not just the migrants, for the administrators too). Sending them thousands of miles to a country with a poor record of human rights and leaving them there when they are applying to come here might appeal to the likes of Johnson, Patel, their cronies and the right wing xenophobes (feel free to include yourself in this list Duckie) but the point is to make things better for migrants, not worse. Clearly the plan is to make things even harder for migrants so as to deter them from wanting to come here in the first place. As I said before, it plays well with the gammons but, unsurprisingly, anyone with a shred of common decency is calling it out for what it is. My posts have been about making it easier for migrants to apply for asylum here, not Rwanda. I am not sure how that is a reversal of my position? With you level of understanding perhaps you are seeking a job with Priti Patel? 

I’m sure there are plenty of refugees who would would love a comfortable home in Romney marsh with a geezer only to happy to welcome them with open arms. Too bad you’ve so far not taken up the opportunity to make it easier for those seeking asylum. Guess it’s a lot easier to talk about what others should be doing than do it yourself 

13 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It appealed to you earlier in the thread. Try and be a bit consistent man, otherwise you’ll make yourself look a bit of a plank. You called for overseas “clearing stations”, you’ve got your wish. Be happy, be nice. 

Listen to yourself man. I called for overseas clearing stations. This is not a clearing station. Once you get to Rwanda you stay there. If they wanted to seek asylum in Rwanda don’t you think that they would go there in the first place? You know exactly what is going on but just like the people you vote for you argue something completely different to muddy the waters. 
Just in case you really are that dense, the purpose of overseas clearing stations are to process the claims of seeking asylum in this country to prevent them having to come here to claim asylum. If their applications are successful they would be allowed to come here and settle. With this scheme  we send them all the way to Africa where their claims are processed and if successful they get to stay in Rwanda. Not the UK. Rwanda. Go find a post from me that says asylum seekers to the UK need to be settled in Africa if their applications are successful. You are either brain addled by too much weed or you are deliberately on the wind up. You are sounding and behaving more and more like my stalker on here, not a good look Duckie 😘 Enjoy your Easter. At least you get to spend it where you choose to, not a country thousands of miles away at Priti Patel’s discretion.

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61134002

Speaking to Broadcasting House on BBC Radio 4, cross-bench peer Lord Hennessy said: "I think we're in the most severe constitutional crisis involving a prime minister that I can remember."

He added when Mr Johnson and Chancellor Rishi Sunak were fined on Tuesday, he wrote in his diary that "Tuesday 12 April 2022 will be forever remembered as a dark bleak day for public and political life" and the prime minister had become " great debaser in modern times of decency in public and political life, and of our constitutional conventions"....

He said Mr Johnson had turned his position into "an adventure playground for his narcissistic vanity"........

Lord Hennessy said Mr Johnson's decision not to resign showed "complete and utter disdain for the decency of our constitutional conventions".

"I cannot remember a day when I have been more fearful for the well-being of the constitution.

"It's an assault on not just the decent state of mind which keeps our society open and clean but also on the institutions of the state.

"If he's not prepared to do the decent thing... why should anybody else behave decently and properly? The whole decency of our public life turns on this question."

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, whelk said:

See the Tories got wound up by the Archbishop. Good fucking twats

33F0D25A-9A31-4A77-AA0B-6F5EFFE6928D.jpeg

If you look at his history Tom Hunt is a particularly odious piece of fluff. Elected to Parliament at the age of 31 he has less knowledge of the real world than my dog. I am not religious but I would prefer to follow the guidance of the Archbishop of York rather than the views of a political lickspittle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Exactly. 

As with many MPs it goes to show the poor quality of those being presented as candidates at the polls, and the lack of respect for the electorate that political parties demonstrate.

Edited by badgerx16

52 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Exactly. 

So the bloke can talk crap whenever he likes because he convinced a few East Anglian gammons in a Tory seat to select him? I'm sorry but I would prefer to follow the advice of an Archbishop.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It’s for his constituents to decide who represents them, not you wokies. 

Of course it is although I find it ironic that you're expressing support of free speech for an MP who is using that right to call for the church of england to be denied that very same right.

Edited by revolution saint
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It’s for his constituents to decide who represents them, not you wokies. 

Not really, in that constituency, as with many, they invariably elect whoever, or whatever, is wearing the blue rosette - the decision is solely that of the constituency party. The same lack of imagination is true for many Labour seats.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

If you look at his history Tom Hunt is a particularly odious piece of fluff. Elected to Parliament at the age of 31 he has less knowledge of the real world than my dog. I am not religious but I would prefer to follow the guidance of the Archbishop of York rather than the views of a political lickspittle.

Amusing saying complex when we have the lowest collective intellect of all time. See example of mad cow who doesn’t have a clue about CH4 funding but play out to the mugs as above - go get them ‘wokies’.  My word even typing that word made me feel like a twat. Imagine being a sad cunt that used that word in everyday speech.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, whelk said:

Amusing saying complex when we have the lowest collective intellect of all time. See example of mad cow who doesn’t have a clue about CH4 funding but play out to the mugs as above - go get them ‘wokies’.  My word even typing that word made me feel like a twat. Imagine being a sad cunt that used that word in everyday speech.

Just pity the sad cunts  who bandy that term about. 😁😁

Edited by Tamesaint

12 hours ago, whelk said:

You should be flattered SOG that you have an obsessed following

Definitely some underlying issues and some history with Soggy. To constantly want to impress people on an anonymous football forum what a lovely bloke he is suggests to me in real life he’s previously has some issues with non whites or non straights. Subconsciously trying to right previous wrongs. 

17 hours ago, Turkish said:

Definitely some underlying issues and some history with Soggy. To constantly want to impress people on an anonymous football forum what a lovely bloke he is suggests to me in real life he’s previously has some issues with non whites or non straights. Subconsciously trying to right previous wrongs. 

WUM#1 classic. 17 hours without a response though. Are you losing your touch? 

• Like 2

The Tories don't like their lack of morals being called out, plus they know that whilst they pander to the 'red wall' and loony xenophobic base (which this barmy policy is directed at, like parody Boris account says it gets the racists well riled up) the more traditionalist conservatives (who are likely to be christians) are less likely to be onboard with this stuff (and you can't really scapegoat middle class and upper middle class issues on immigrants) and probably have more of a moral compass, so the Archbishop calling them out for their heartlessness is going to hurt in more traditional areas. 

It also seems that most of the Tory MPs out defending this policy have little to no knowledge how our asylum systems works. You can chose to seek asylum in any country, passing through other 'safe' countries is irrelevant to an asylum application, I mean how do Tories think asylum seekers from Hong Kong or Ukraine get here? They will pass through other countries they could have sought Asylum in, but it seems some refugees are more preferable to others, odd that the ones who are non-white seem to get more concern when its not apparently about race. 

Also there is no legal way to enter the UK to apply for asylum, that is why they use the boats, IF the UK government (and the EU and most other countries) were actually bothered about the dangerous journeys then they would allow people seeking asylum to use the normal transport routes, i.e. planes, trains and ferries, but those carriers get fined and are generally liable for the cost of return journeys for people entering a state without visas etc. except genuine refugees fleeing war, persecution etc. cannot get those visas and official permissions.

Anyone with a working brain would realise that someone who pays thousands to people smugglers to cross the channel on a dinghy, would obviously be able and willing to pay £100 or less for a short flight, ferry or train into the UK, they are just not allowed to.

But then anyone with a working brain would realise that 10-20k asylum seekers a year is going to make very little difference to the services of a country of near 70 million and that maybe, just maybe the incompetent government that doesn't spend enough, doesn't spend what it does spend in the right places, wastes huge amounts of what it does spend is the cause of issues with the NHS, schools etc. not the nasty immigrants. 

Yet again this story is just immigration being used in its traditional scaremongering role to distract the ignorant and the xenophobes from the real problems, the current one being the partygate scandal and the literal fact that our PM is now a convicted criminal and yet still constantly lies about it. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, trousers said:

Why are Starmer, Blackford, etc, calling for Johnson to resign? If his reputation is as damaged as they say, wouldn't it be in their interests for Johnson to stick around to contest the next general election? 

Because it is the right thing to do and they know he isn’t going anywhere but by staying put he is probably going to lose his party more votes so it makes sense to keep chipping away at him but hope that he either doesn’t resign or get kicked out.

33 minutes ago, whelk said:

Starmer nailing Johnson

He always does. When he's left to largely think on his feet he comes across brilliantly. It's when he's shoved in front of a camera with his script he sounds shit. 

12 minutes ago, egg said:

He always does. When he's left to largely think on his feet he comes across brilliantly. It's when he's shoved in front of a camera with his script he sounds shit. 

Agree but does seem he is getting better at it and genuinely disgusted at Johnson’s behaviour 

35 minutes ago, trousers said:

Why are Starmer, Blackford, etc, calling for Johnson to resign? If his reputation is as damaged as they say, wouldn't it be in their interests for Johnson to stick around to contest the next general election? 

I see it that It’s more damaging for the Tory party that they’re being seen to defend Johnson’s lies, and to ultimately defend his refusal to walk away. The expectation for him to resign needs to be reiterated by the opposition as they’re making it a character issue.

Especially so if, as expected, there are more parties that Johnson could get a fine for. It’s widely acknowledged that birthday-gate was one of the least onerous of the charges. So Johnson can say he was unaware of the rules, his MP’s gather behind him and they all get tarred with the same brush. Then, if there are more transgressions that aren’t so easily explained (for example the one where there’s a screenshot of Johnson and others inside number ten with an open bottle of champagne in shot and a bloke wearing tinsel) then the lies become even more ludicrous. 

The met are seemingly still wading though all of the events in chronological order. Everyone knows Johnson won’t quit, he’ll only go when the party bins him. So, until then, it’s best to highlight what he should do, then attack the party as a whole for defending him.

In other words,Starmer’s playing a blinder.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trousers said:

Because Johnson will not, and was never going to, lead the Tories into the next election.

So IMF have forecast we will have slowest growth of all G7 countries but suffer the highest inflation. We are also the only G7 country to increase the tax burden amidst cost of living crisis. But yeah can always trust the Tories with the economy 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, whelk said:

So IMF have forecast we will have slowest growth of all G7 countries but suffer the highest inflation. We are also the only G7 country to increase the tax burden amidst cost of living crisis. But yeah can always trust the Tories with the economy 

You can guarantee we will still get the "fastest growing economy in the G7" line out of Johnson and/or Sunak's mouth though.

1 hour ago, igsey said:

You can guarantee we will still get the "fastest growing economy in the G7" line out of Johnson and/or Sunak's mouth though.

It is all about perspective; country #1 has a GDP of £1 per capita and is increasing at 5%, (5p per annum ), country #2 has a GDP of £3 and is growing at 3%, ( 9p per annum ,)- country #1 has a faster growing economy based on one measure, (%), and a slower growing economy by another (net growth)

Edited by badgerx16

1 hour ago, igsey said:

If you turn the table the other way round you will see we are top

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

It is all about perspective; country #1 has a GDP of £1 per capita and is increasing at 5%, (5p per annum ), country #2 has a GDP of £3 and is growing at 3%, ( 9p per annum ,)- country #1 has a faster growing economy based on one measure, (%), and a slower growing economy by another (net growth)

Eventually country 1 becomes richer on both measures

45 minutes ago, buctootim said:

Eventually country 1 becomes richer on both measures

If it maintains a 5% growth it will take many decades. The point is that the quote about having a higher growth rate is a statistical sleight of hand and verbal dissembling.

• Like 1

From the BBC coverage of the debate about BoJo and Partygate ;

"Earlier in the week, senior Tory and former Brexit minister Steve Baker said he was "deeply moved" by the PM's apology in the Commons and wanted to forgive him.

He repeats that sentiment today, but says "that spirit of earnest willingness to forgive lasted about 90 seconds" into a meeting Boris Johnson held with his backbenchers later the same day.

"[It was] an orgy of adulation, a great festival of bombast, and I cannot bear it," says Baker.

"This level of transgression, this level of demand for forgiveness requires more than an apology drawing a line under it and moving on in the way the prime minister sought to do in his interviews."

He says both Johnson and his advisers "need to understand this is a permanent stone in his shoe" and those who want to forgive him "want to see permanent contrition"."

Edited by badgerx16

"Steve Baker tells the story of a constituent who didn't get to see his wife of 50 years in a care home before she died, because of lockdown rules.

"What am I to say to that man?" the Tory MP asks. "I could say... you and I are Christian men and forgiveness is hard.

"[But] I don't want to forgive him. I do not want to forgive our prime minister."

After further blistering condemnations of the boss he says he helped get into power, the Tory MP says if he was in any other job, the PM would be "long gone".

He adds: "Having watched the contrition... it only lasted as long as it took to get out of the headmaster's study, and that's not good enough for me, and that's not good enough for my voters.

"I have to say now the possibility [of forgiveness] has gone... and for not obeying the letter and the spirit, the prime minister now should be long gone.

"The prime minister should just know the gig's up.""

-----------------------

"William Wragg, Conservative MP and Chair of the Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee, says he cannot hide his views "without ever more elaborate disguises".

He says he decided the prime minister "was no longer fit to govern" when the government's winter 2021 press conference on Covid restrictions was moved earlier to move the conversation on from the leaked video of Allegra Stratton joking about a party in Downing Street.

He says he knows that Tory MPs are "struggling at the moment" as the party "bears the scars of misjudgements of leadership".

There are few Conservatives who can "truly enjoy" being an MP at the moment, and he says it is "utterly depressing" to be asked to "defend the indefensible".

"Each time, part of us withers," he states.

"We must stop delegating and delaying our political judgement," he says people only have a limited amount of integrity, and it cannot be spent on someone who "we can't be sure will not let us down".

Parliament "should be venerated" by MPs who are "given the honour" to represent those in the areas they are from."

• Like 1

I have missed it all today but sounds fun and games again. Although Lord help us if Truss is the clown’s replacement. 

An aside but didn’t realise how big her tits were until saw he in HofC yesterday 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, whelk said:

I have missed it all today but sounds fun and games again. Although Lord help us if Truss is the clown’s replacement. 

An aside but didn’t realise how big her tits were until saw he in HofC yesterday 

Did she flash them in the chamber?

14 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

He just doesn't get it does he. He's so detached from reality that he thinks he can ride this out and just bluster his way through the affair in the same way he has blustered his way through his entire life so far. 

The answer to why he doesn't get it is contained within the rest of your post.  He's blustered and bullshitted his way through an entire life and got away with it.  It's his winning formula and it got him to no. 10.  It's the only way he knows.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Left Back said:

The answer to why he doesn't get it is contained within the rest of your post.  He's blustered and bullshitted his way through an entire life and got away with it.  It's his winning formula and it got him to no. 10.  It's the only way he knows.  

He avoided scrutiny at the General Election by being evasive. He didn't take part in debates, made himself unavailable for interviews and even hid in a fridge to avoid journalists. 

His much postponed trip to India is another attempt at evasion. This time however it has not worked for him. Whilst he was looking a right clown dressing up in a turban in India the number of disgruntled Tory MPs voicing their opposition grew significantly. Whilst the cat is away the mice  ....

The fat fucker should just do the decent thing and resign. 

• Like 5

• Lighthouse changed the title to The United Kingdom and the Death of Boris Johnson as we know it.