Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

Ralph, if he’s to stay, needs much better coaching staff alongside him. Clear decline since Rohl left.

This does seem to be the most likely cause of our woes, yes. Even teams with no stand out star players (eg Sheff Utd) play at a level higher than we do. And that is down to identifying your strengths and playing to them. What ARE our strengths? The coaching team needs to identify them and set us up to maximise them. What we are getting game after game is that 'deer in the headlights' passing around the back four then a long ball down the channels.

I wish Hojberg had just come out and said his piece a few weeks ago. Half the problem is not acknowledging it. See it, say it, sorted!

This does seem to be the most likely cause of our woes, yes. Even teams with no stand out star players (eg Sheff Utd) play at a level higher than we do. And that is down to identifying your strengths and playing to them. What ARE our strengths? The coaching team needs to identify them and set us up to maximise them. What we are getting game after game is that 'deer in the headlights' passing around the back four then a long ball down the channels.

I wish Hojberg had just come out and said his piece a few weeks ago. Half the problem is not acknowledging it. See it, say it, sorted!

The problem with our aimless possession based passing at the back is that eventually when McCarthy hits a long ball or one of the defenders chips the ball into the centre field there are no channels just 10 opponents formed up filling their half waiting to win the ball and hit us on the break through our midfield.

It is a fact, the higher our possession percentage against other than the top sides the more likely it is to end in defeat. Our best results against the beatable opponents are when we have about forty ish percent possession

Someone made a good post on twitter showing the similarities in quality between our squad under puel and our current squad .

I think this kinda highlights that it’s not all down to the players being rubbish.. if puel could get clean sheets playing a Stephens and yoshida cb pairing with romeau etc in midfield why are we so incapable of keeping a clean sheet now.. ok under puel we were not scoring so much but it’s down to the manager to find the right balance to eat the results at the moment I’d say Ralph isn’t getting this right

Someone made a good post on twitter showing the similarities in quality between our squad under puel and our current squad .

I think this kinda highlights that it’s not all down to the players being rubbish.. if puel could get clean sheets playing a Stephens and yoshida cb pairing with romeau etc in midfield why are we so incapable of keeping a clean sheet now.. ok under puel we were not scoring so much but it’s down to the manager to find the right balance to eat the results at the moment I’d say Ralph isn’t getting this right

I think that's because in my opinion Yoshida is our best centre back despite the odd mistake usually brought about by indecision in possession, or an underhit backpass. He sometimes isn't aggressive enough and gets bounced, ie Rashford this year. Sometimes he needs to just put his foot through the ball. Romeu also played as a defensive midfielder holding in front of the centre backs.

We lack discipline and shape in midfield, both Hojbjerg and JWP are undisciplined and have absolutely no idea the problems they are causing by leaving the midfield empty as they push forward mostly supporting play on the wings and allowing the opponents to get at our centre backs.

We need to play a permanent holding midfielder Romeu or give Stephens or Danso in front of Yoshida and Bednerek a try with two attacking midfielders, possibly Armstrong and Redmond or Boufal with Ings, Djenepo and Long. Stop attacking with the full backs and use them as defenders primarily. This gives us depth, cuts out the exposure and allows a high tempo press from the front without exposing the centre backs. Soares is physically weak, poor in the air and undisciplined so try Valery without the wing back duties.

Edited by derry

Puel was absolutely lambasted for being negative and setting the team up defensively. Now everyone can see why.

Puel was absolutely lambasted for being negative and setting the team up defensively. Now everyone can see why.

Yeah i guess we were so spoiled after having poch and koeman before puel it seemed like a downgrade at the time, keep hearing on here that Ralph is some super amazing manager that we are lucky to have but this kinda shows that we have got players in the squad capable of getting clean sheets and better results. It’s just about getting the tactics and team selections right and rectifying problems which at the minute I’m not seeing we are going backwards from last season and it doesn’t really matter what Ralph did at Leipzig sometimes it’s horses for courses.. burley did well at teams before us.. koeman was great here but failed at Everton etc

Ralph is not some super amazing manager and that is the nub of the problem. His arrival was pumped up by the club and the media as some kind of coup with no regard to how many more renowned and illustrious managers had failed at PL level. Even his nickname Klopp of the Alps misleadingly suggested he was exceptional.

The guy never had a snowball's chance of living up to those preconceptions. It remains to be seen whether he will be regarded here as any better than Puel or Pellegrino but things are not looking particularly rosy for him right now. At least they can blame Ralph K if it all ends in tears.

Premier League football in 2016 is very different to 2019.

Game is much quicker and more intense.

Players that were good in 2016 are not necessarily at the same standard in 2019 as game has evolved since then.

Premier League football in 2016 is very different to 2019.

Game is much quicker and more intense.

Players that were good in 2016 are not necessarily at the same standard in 2019 as game has evolved since then.

The idea that West Ham United, Burnley, Everton, Bournemouth or even Leicester are all at some amazing new level compared to three years ago is quite frankly a load of old bollo cks.

All that has happened is we have got significantly more sh it.

Edited by CB Fry

He had half a season of Van Dijk and Fonte, a luxury Ralph will never have. Those two players were easily worth the 6 points he finished above 17th place, Puel was no better than Ralph, Hughes or even MoPe IMO. Puel set out to get a 0-0 against everyone. At home to the likes of Bournemouth, Hull, Stoke and Be'er Sheva. Call me a spoiled brat who should be careful what he wishes for but it was an utterly joyless affair. If that's the right balance and getting results, I don't want to watch football any more.

He had half a season of Van Dijk and Fonte, a luxury Ralph will never have. Those two players were easily worth the 6 points he finished above 17th place, Puel was no better than Ralph, Hughes or even MoPe IMO. Puel set out to get a 0-0 against everyone. At home to the likes of Bournemouth, Hull, Stoke and Be'er Sheva. Call me a spoiled brat who should be careful what he wishes for but it was an utterly joyless affair. If that's the right balance and getting results, I don't want to watch football any more.

That’s absolute nonsense. A Myth perpetuated by the last few games when he set up defensively because he knew that in Stephens and yoshida he’s had the worst pair of centre backs in the league.

We’re you in Milan when we should have won 4-0? Were you at Sunderland and Watford when we scored 4 goals away from home in back to back matches. Or when we won 3-0 at West Ham. The bunley home game we won 3-1 we had 34 shots at goal. Absolutely laughable the myth that Puel played for 0-0s every week. Yes Puel did set up defensively sometimes and sometimes it worked, in four games against Liverpool we won two and didn’t concede a goal. Sometimes it didn’t be’er Sheva for example. He changed the tactics for the opposition and he had to do it once he lost van dijk and fonte as what was left was dreadful, as has been proven time and again

Romeu was decent under Puel. He offers zero protection these days because he turns like a bus

That’s absolute nonsense. A Myth perpetuated by the last few games when he set up defensively because he knew that in Stephens and yoshida he’s had the worst pair of centre backs in the league.

We’re you in Milan when we should have won 4-0? Were you at Sunderland and Watford when we scored 4 goals away from home in back to back matches. Or when we won 3-0 at West Ham. The bunley home game we won 3-1 we had 34 shots at goal. Absolutely laughable the myth that Puel played for 0-0s every week. Yes Puel did set up defensively sometimes and sometimes it worked, in four games against Liverpool we won two and didn’t concede a goal. Sometimes it didn’t be’er Sheva for example. He changed the tactics for the opposition and he had to do it once he lost van dijk and fonte as what was left was dreadful, as has been proven time and again

If we should have beaten Inter 4-0, we should have lost the two Liverpool league games by a similar score. The fact is we didn’t, in fact after the first Europa game, Virgil was the only player who scored in the last five.

The football was boring, from the first game against Watford to the last against Stoke. Sure we had a handful of decent results but over the whole season we were poor. Burnley were terrible. I think I’m right in thinking they only scored two away points all season that year and didn’t win a game. Sunderland were equally poor, so we’re West Ham.

Sometimes it worked, usually it didn’t. I went to the Arsenal home game towards the end of the season and it was the easiest 2-0 walk in the park I have ever seen. If you were happy watching that season, it’s your choice. I wasn’t.

If we should have beaten Inter 4-0, we should have lost the two Liverpool league games by a similar score. The fact is we didn’t, in fact after the first Europa game, Virgil was the only player who scored in the last five.

The football was boring, from the first game against Watford to the last against Stoke. Sure we had a handful of decent results but over the whole season we were poor. Burnley were terrible. I think I’m right in thinking they only scored two away points all season that year and didn’t win a game. Sunderland were equally poor, so we’re West Ham.

Sometimes it worked, usually it didn’t. I went to the Arsenal home game towards the end of the season and it was the easiest 2-0 walk in the park I have ever seen. If you were happy watching that season, it’s your choice. I wasn’t.

And we could easily have put 3 or 4 past Liverpool in both cup games. Talking of the cup run did you think we set up to draw 0-0 in the final?

Puel wasn’t the most attacking manager but he isn’t anything like the myths made out that he played for draws, it was boring football all season, it’s simply not true. We were dull at times but we were dull at times under koeman and pochetino too, both had far better players than Puel had. The fact is fans didn’t like him from day one because he wasn’t a particularly dynamic personality or the big name fans expected.

And we could easily have put 3 or 4 past Liverpool in both cup games. Talking of the cup run did you think we set up to draw 0-0 in the final?

Puel wasn’t the most attacking manager but he isn’t anything like the myths made out that he played for draws, it was boring football all season, it’s simply not true. We were dull at times but we were dull at times under koeman and pochetino too, both had far better players than Puel had. The fact is fans didn’t like him from day one because he wasn’t a particularly dynamic personality or the big name fans expected.

Straw man. I’ve never seen anyone actually say, "get rid of Puel, his interviews are boring." Everyone loved Poch and he didn’t even speak English and ‘Ron in 60 seconds’ was hardly riveting monologue. It’s one of those forum myths like, "nobody ever criticises Hojbjerg/Skacel/Prutton because he waves/claps the fans."

No we didn’t play for a 0-0 in the cup final but that’s a cup final, you’d expect everyone to be up for it.

Straw man. I’ve never seen anyone actually say, "get rid of Puel, his interviews are boring." Everyone loved Poch and he didn’t even speak English and ‘Ron in 60 seconds’ was hardly riveting monologue. It’s one of those forum myths like, "nobody ever criticises Hojbjerg/Skacel/Prutton because he waves/claps the fans."

No we didn’t play for a 0-0 in the cup final but that’s a cup final, you’d expect everyone to be up for it.

From the very start people were slagging him off for his boring interviews. Loads of people said it.

I think that's because in my opinion Yoshida is our best centre back despite the odd mistake usually brought about by indecision in possession, or an underhit backpass. He sometimes isn't aggressive enough and gets bounced, ie Rashford this year. Sometimes he needs to just put his foot through the ball. Romeu also played as a defensive midfielder holding in front of the centre backs.

We lack discipline and shape in midfield, both Hojbjerg and JWP are undisciplined and have absolutely no idea the problems they are causing by leaving the midfield empty as they push forward mostly supporting play on the wings and allowing the opponents to get at our centre backs.

We need to play a permanent holding midfielder Romeu or give Stephens or Danso in front of Yoshida and Bednerek a try with two attacking midfielders, possibly Armstrong and Redmond or Boufal with Ings, Djenepo and Long. Stop attacking with the full backs and use them as defenders primarily. This gives us depth, cuts out the exposure and allows a high tempo press from the front without exposing the centre backs. Soares is physically weak, poor in the air and undisciplined so try Valery without the wing back duties.

Main point I was trying to make was even after van dijk was injured puel managed to keep around 6 clean sheets in the league plus shutting out Liverpool in the cup to qualify.. and two of those clean sheets were also against Liverpool and united... huge ammount of posters on here claim our players are completely useless and it’s not Ralph’s fault and the defence are all absolute useless, I’m not saying they are not btw but puel was capable of setting up the same defenders in a solid way, which shows it’s possible with our squad if the tactics are right.

We potentially have a better attack then we did under puel with ings djenepo etc in the mix. So maybe getting the right balance is about being more disciplined like Derry suggested above.

I agree. But Valery has physical problems I think so it will be Cedric.

Main point I was trying to make was even after van dijk was injured puel managed to keep around 6 clean sheets in the league plus shutting out Liverpool in the cup to qualify.. and two of those clean sheets were also against Liverpool and united... huge ammount of posters on here claim our players are completely useless and it’s not Ralph’s fault and the defence are all absolute useless, I’m not saying they are not btw but puel was capable of setting up the same defenders in a solid way, which shows it’s possible with our squad if the tactics are right.

We potentially have a better attack then we did under puel with ings djenepo etc in the mix. So maybe getting the right balance is about being more disciplined like Derry suggested above.

I've just checked, there were indeed 6 but also 7 where we failed to score. It was simply a trade off, overall our results really weren't an improvement. After Virgil and Fonte were out of the team we won five League games in half a season; Palace, WBA, Sunderland, Boro and Watford. In a similar time frame Ralph has beaten Sheff U, Brighton, Watford and Norwich. In that regard the difference between them is basically an Arsenal goal in the 6th minute of injury time.

What's the point of this comparison? An additional three years hasn't done any favors to most of those players, with Bertrand, Yoshida, Romeu and even Hoj seeming a good yard slower than in 2016 (plus Cedric clearly wants out, so his effort has declined regardless of his physical condition). For reasons both to do with transfers and the general composition of our first XI, we are a slower, weaker team than we were under Puel.

And as someone else said, standards in the league are increasing all the time.

From the very start people were slagging him off for his boring interviews. Loads of people said it.

That doesn't mean they wanted him sacked because of it.

Loads of people were slagging off Diane Abbott because she worse mismatched shoes and on the wrong feet, doesn't mean that's the reason Labour lost the election.

The problem with comparing the team of today to the team of Puel is to assume that no other team has improved in that period. Look at all the money every other club is splashing about and the improvement in coaching etc. Rodgers seems to be doing a bit more with the Leicester team than Puel did.

I agree. But Valery has physical problems I think so it will be Cedric.

They’re as bad as one another and the same goes for players right across the park. There’s a couple of exceptions of course but in general it’s like-for-like in every position and hence why changes of personnel within the squad hardly make any discernible difference. Perm any two CB’s from any equally poor pool of 5, any combination of midfielders or either keeper and it’s all much of a muchness.

Edited by Greenridge

The past is irrelevant, whether we were good or bad, whether a manager was good or bad. The reality is that right now we are absolutely ABYSMAL at defending and that is the problem. We have enough attacking players to survive, not necessarily top8 or 10 but enough to survive. The reason we will go down is that any combination of defence is sh**, compounded by the lack of a decent DCM. If this is not addressed in January we are doomed to return to the Championship which to be frank might actually be a god send IF it gets us (potentially better) new owners. This bloke we have needs to **** off or spend big, end of.

Romeu was decent under Puel. He offers zero protection these days because he turns like a bus

Got to call that one out. Romeu is our best (only?) CM/DM midfielder by a country mile, and he has had a fairly good season so far. The decision to omit him in favour of PEH/JWP is an odd decision by Ralph and exposes further our fragile defence.

Ralph Hasenhuttl is safe for now as Southampton boss gets a singing endorsement at Christmas party by board member Katharina Liebherr:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7807105/Ralph-Hasenhuttl-safe-Southampton-boss-gets-singing-endorsement.html

This is a financial decision not a football one. We won’t buy any quality in January and everyone knows it. Brace yourselves for the Championship because that’s where we’re headed. The Club is in a right mess and anybody thinking otherwise is deluded.

Got to call that one out. Romeu is our best (only?) CM/DM midfielder by a country mile, and he has had a fairly good season so far. The decision to omit him in favour of PEH/JWP is an odd decision by Ralph and exposes further our fragile defence.

He is our only out and out DM I agree, but dont agree hes having a good season. He makes the occasional decent tackle, but thats often because hes off the pace and having to lunge in. I loved him under Koeman and Puel but hes struggled in recent years (not the only one i admit)

What's the point of this comparison? An additional three years hasn't done any favors to most of those players, with Bertrand, Yoshida, Romeu and even Hoj seeming a good yard slower than in 2016 (plus Cedric clearly wants out, so his effort has declined regardless of his physical condition). For reasons both to do with transfers and the general composition of our first XI, we are a slower, weaker team than we were under Puel.

And as someone else said, standards in the league are increasing all the time.

Main point is ask the question of would another manager be able to set us up in a better way to what RH is right now..the puel comparison imo proves the defence are capable of clean sheets, maybe it’s just a more conservative approach and set up needed

Other factors could include things like when we press hard under Ralph and teams break that initial press we are left unorganised and the weakness of our defence is left with no protection??. When we played city I actually think we played a really good defensive game went a goal up and then made ourselves hard to break down and lesser teams may not have with those tactics.

I find it hard to go into the players being in a lot worse physical shape then they were back then it’s only a couple of years and none of them are really over the hill, and if Cedric wants out wouldn’t that be motivation right there to impress future clubs?

As for league improving a great deal meh really, maybe general standard may have improved a smidge, but like every years there’s good and bad sides.. the big six clubs look in the worst shape they have for years only Liverpool city and Leicester being super strong. The rest are beatable if you get it right on the day

It wasn’t a mistake to sack Puel , the mistake was not replacing him with better coaches / managers.

just like it wasn’t necessary a mistake to sell players for large amounts ( Saibts have always sold) it was wasting all of the money raised buying poor players. ( obviously it also asks the question why we seem to be the only club in the league that have to sell to buy)

No body was mentioning Puel this time last year.

I bet there’s not one Leicester fan wishing they never sacked Puel.

It wasn’t a mistake to sack Puel , the mistake was not replacing him with better coaches / managers.

just like it wasn’t necessary a mistake to sell players for large amounts ( Saibts have always sold) it was wasting all of the money raised buying poor players. ( obviously it also asks the question why we seem to be the only club in the league that have to sell to buy)

I really think that Rodgers could of got our current team in the top 10.

He has a team of experts around him while our Ralph doesn’t and has been found out.

That doesn't mean they wanted him sacked because of it.

Loads of people were slagging off Diane Abbott because she worse mismatched shoes and on the wrong feet, doesn't mean that's the reason Labour lost the election.

No but the fans never took to him, he was up against it from the start. That happens but like you many people dismiss Puels as a terrible manager who played boring football but forget that the summer Puel joined he lost Mane and Pelle, our two highest scorers from the previous season, Wanyama, our best defensive midfielder and then had the behind the scenes issues of Fonte coming back from winning the European championship and causing problems. Then he had to play half the season without Van Dijk and Fonte and big chunk of it without Charlie Austin who was supposedly Pelles replacement. More or less the entire spine of Koemans team ripped out in 6 months. They also forget that at times we played some very good stuff and despite all this statistically led us to one of our best ever season in terms of league position and reaching a cup final.

What have Leicester fans got to do with it? Many Everton fans wanted Koeman out but he's a hero on here.

I agree with the first part of your post, the fans wanted attacking football and we managed to somehow get someone more defensive :lol:

Ralph Hasenhuttl is safe for now as Southampton boss gets a singing endorsement at Christmas party by board member Katharina Liebherr:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7807105/Ralph-Hasenhuttl-safe-Southampton-boss-gets-singing-endorsement.html

Wow ..... a double endorsement .... Board vote of confidence and the fat lady singing.

Ralph is toast :scared:

Wow ..... a double endorsement .... Board vote of confidence and the fat lady singing.

Ralph is toast :scared:

maybe Kat was coming on to him, I picture her dancing seductively on stage whilst looking over the microphone into Ralphs eyes singing how she has given her heart to Hassenhuttl.

No but the fans never took to him, he was up against it from the start. That happens but like you many people dismiss Puels as a terrible manager who played boring football but forget that the summer Puel joined he lost Mane and Pelle, our two highest scorers from the previous season, Wanyama, our best defensive midfielder and then had the behind the scenes issues of Fonte coming back from winning the European championship and causing problems. Then he had to play half the season without Van Dijk and Fonte and big chunk of it without Charlie Austin who was supposedly Pelles replacement. More or less the entire spine of Koemans team ripped out in 6 months. They also forget that at times we played some very good stuff and despite all this statistically led us to one of our best ever season in terms of league position and reaching a cup final.

The fans didn’t take to him because of what was on the pitch. He spent preseason trying a bizarre formation with Austin and Redmond as wide forwards and Tadic as a number 10, which didn’t work. The first game against Watford was uninspiring and we only scored once from a corner. The next was Man Utd where we just never looked like causing them a problem.

Under Adkins we may have lost against Man Utd and City but we were ahead until late in both games and really gave them a problem. Every game against big teams under Puel was just sit back and defend, if we’re 1-0 or 2-0 down it’s okay, that’s a safe, non-embarrassing scoreline.

I can only speak for myself, if other people were really upset by interviews then that’s their prerogative. I just didn’t like watching the football.

The fans didn’t take to him because of what was on the pitch. He spent preseason trying a bizarre formation with Austin and Redmond as wide forwards and Tadic as a number 10, which didn’t work. The first game against Watford was uninspiring and we only scored once from a corner. The next was Man Utd where we just never looked like causing them a problem.

Under Adkins we may have lost against Man Utd and City but we were ahead until late in both games and really gave them a problem. Every game against big teams under Puel was just sit back and defend, if we’re 1-0 or 2-0 down it’s okay, that’s a safe, non-embarrassing scoreline.

I can only speak for myself, if other people were really upset by interviews then that’s their prerogative. I just didn’t like watching the football.

Again that's not true is it. Against Liverpool we drew 2, won 2, drew away at Man City, beat Arsenal away in the cup and only lost to them in the league up there due to a very controversial injury time penalty. Then we lost 1-4 home to spurs, 4-2 away at Chelsea, 0-3 at home to Man City. So a mixed bag of results but hardly tells your story of a manager who sat his team up to play for 0-0s and was happy to accept a 1-0 loss.

It was dull and dreary stuff which seemed the antithesis of what is expected from your head coach. unfortunately from the start a lot of fans perception was set. It would be interesting to know from the players what the training and man management was like. Puel knew his stuff tactical, the question was whether all the players trusted him and we found out the answer to that later.

It was dull and dreary stuff which seemed the antithesis of what is expected from your head coach. unfortunately from the start a lot of fans perception was set. It would be interesting to know from the players what the training and man management was like. Puel knew his stuff tactical, the question was whether all the players trusted him and we found out the answer to that later.

Some of the players didn't like him, but they didn't like Pellegrino, Hughes and now apparently they don't like Hassenhuttl. Kind of tells you what the issue is doesn't it.

Some of the players didn't like him, but they didn't like Pellegrino, Hughes and now apparently they don't like Hassenhuttl. Kind of tells you what the issue is doesn't it.

It would be nice for a bit of club harmony! Instead a way forward seems to be out of reach, compounded by the let’s do nothing (because Gao hasn’t a clue/will not let others do their job)???

The players are starting to blame the manager to hide the fact that theyre **** and cant follow instructions. Unfortunately for them Ralph saw this coming and the board will be aware. The players are were exposed after the 9-0. They need to wise up or some careers are over.

I always read your posts with interest in view of your current/previous ITK status. However, we don't have the money to replace such players so they will likely continue on into the championship or contracts expire.

I 100% agree the midfield is making the defence look a lot worse, but I don't think indiscipline is the problem, I would say the opposite, they are following Ralph the loon's instructions to the letter.

The players are starting to blame the manager to hide the fact that theyre **** and cant follow instructions. Unfortunately for them Ralph saw this coming and the board will be aware. The players are were exposed after the 9-0. They need to wise up or some careers are over.

LG,

I'm sure the board can see what we see. Are they actively looking to seriously strengthen do you know?

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl