Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

The players are starting to blame the manager to hide the fact that theyre **** and cant follow instructions. Unfortunately for them Ralph saw this coming and the board will be aware. The players are were exposed after the 9-0. They need to wise up or some careers are over.

How does this work then? He’s the one picking the players? If players were being difficult wouldn’t we have more Lemina type situations ?

Im unsure at the moment tbh. Might hear nearer the time. I think we will see Joakim Maehle come in as Cedric will probably sign a pre contract with someone else in jan. A lot of players are off in the summer. If we can stay up, we will be able to have a good clear out and back Ralph. It really is a waiting game. Gao wont sell if we go down. Vital we stay up.

The players who are off in the summer should not be picked as they will just be going through the motions and trying to avoid injury. I mean, you'd have thought this was common sense, right? Looking at you Bertrand, and YOU Redders. (one presumes). Cedders went ages ago (if there is any buyer)

The players who are off in the summer should not be picked as they will just be going through the motions and trying to avoid injury. I mean, you'd have thought this was common sense, right? Looking at you Bertrand, and YOU Redders. (one presumes). Cedders went ages ago (if there is any buyer)

There is a maxim in football that is universal and timeless.

‘Always pick your best team’

Im unsure at the moment tbh. Might hear nearer the time. I think we will see Joakim Maehle come in as Cedric will probably sign a pre contract with someone else in jan. A lot of players are off in the summer. If we can stay up, we will be able to have a good clear out and back Ralph. It really is a waiting game. Gao wont sell if we go down. Vital we stay up.

Oh Shît, we’re in trouble!

What players have we got left that can help keep us up while working with Ralph?

Who on earth could we play in place of Bertrand?

I find it hard to go into the players being in a lot worse physical shape then they were back then it’s only a couple of years and none of them are really over the hill, and if Cedric wants out wouldn’t that be motivation right there to impress future clubs?

You don't think three years makes any difference? The sport has changed - average players aren't at their peak from 28-30 anymore, with the physical demands meaning that decline now starts from about 26.

Even allowing for the fact that center backs peak a little later, Yoshida, Bertrand and Cedric are all on the wrong side of their peak years now, having been close to their prime in in 2016/2017.

You don't think three years makes any difference? The sport has changed - average players aren't at their peak from 28-30 anymore, with the physical demands meaning that decline now starts from about 26.

Even allowing for the fact that center backs peak a little later, Yoshida, Bertrand and Cedric are all on the wrong side of their peak years now, having been close to their prime in in 2016/2017.

I think it’s a tricky argument so didn’t really wanna touch on it.. Obviously it can make a difference to players who lose a lot of pace but there’s plenty of examples of ones that improve too or stay the same level.. for example long hasn’t lost his pace.. ings isn’t going backwards.since you said average players I won’t go off on listing a load of world class players who are still killing it at older then romeau.. but there’s probably many examples even with the more average ones ..

If we can stay up, we will be able to have a good clear out and back Ralph.
what makes you think that? It will surely be the same as last summer. A **** load of players with years on their contracts that no one wants unless we pay 50% or more of their wages going no where. They will nearly all stay all summer long consuming wages/funds leaving us little time and money to get the players we need. We will shift some out on loan, but that wont provide us with the finds needed to buy some top class players. Without the funds it will be down to brilliant scouting. Do we have anyone at the club that knows his arse from his elbow these days? Edited by Chez

what makes you think that? I will be the same as last summer. A **** load of players with years on their contracts that no one wants unless we pay 50% or more of their wages. They will nearly all stay all summer consuming wages/funds leaving us little time and money to get the players we need.
Well three well paid players are out of contract and will leave: Cedric, Yoshida and Long.

Forster will surely get a move somewhere as well.

Thats a start.

Well three well paid players are out of contract and will leave: Cedric, Yoshida and Long.

Forster will surely get a move somewhere as well.

Thats a start.

It is. But 2 of those 3 are in our first 11. Some think Yoshida is the best CB we have at the club despite him not getting games. Are they the players we need to lose the most? Who is buying Forster and paying his £70k+ a week contract? Not Celtic. Not unless we pay half that contract up. Gulp.

Ralph still has the backing, we know that and it's justified - no other manager could get more from this bunch of c**ts. A few players are excused, i.e. Ings

I don't think it's quite the black and white issue. Yes some players are crap and need to be moved on - but than isn't that what we did (or try to do) in the summer? All those on loan/sold have no term future - Forster, Hoedt, Lemina, Elyounoussi, Carrillo, Austin, Targett etc. (assuming likes of Reed, Barnes etc. were sent on loan for experience rather than shifting out?). That's at least 7 players we moved on in one transfer season. We will probably move on Ced, Bouf, Vest, Yoshi, Long, and maybe Bertie and Red next. That's a minimum of 12 in 2/3 transfer window. That's some clear out.

Add to that Ralph (presumably?) was allowed to bring in Adams, Jenny, Danso and Ings (ok, deal was done before he came - maybe just as well), than not sure we can blame the club for not willing to invest and make the change. So, it would appear the f'up is a combination of many things - owner, board, players, Ralph not quite the genius we were led to believe he was (he is fine if he has the players that fit his system, if not he is clueless how to change it - no real surprise, let's face it we hired another unemployed manager - there was a reason he was unemployed).

So in summary, combination of owner, board, players, and Ralph have collective responsibility in my view

There’s a good article here, based on an interview with Allegri. You’ll need to translate.

https://www.alfredopedulla.com/allegri-ai-calciatori-bisogna-guardare-le-gambe-sono-come-i-cavalli-tattica-e-schemi-tutte-p-te/

Essentially some players are just too confused by tactics. Most will respond to general instructions and thrive but some of the time over complicated tactics will just result in poor performances and failure. Is this what’s happening at Saints right now?

We’ve had three managers in a row with a different set of attitudes and tactics towards the game. Maybe it’s no surprise our least hands on manager tactically has been our best in the past decade (Koeman).

There’s a good article here, based on an interview with Allegri. You’ll need to translate.

https://www.alfredopedulla.com/allegri-ai-calciatori-bisogna-guardare-le-gambe-sono-come-i-cavalli-tattica-e-schemi-tutte-p-te/

Essentially some players are just too confused by tactics. Most will respond to general instructions and thrive but some of the time over complicated tactics will just result in poor performances and failure. Is this what’s happening at Saints right now?

We’ve had three managers in a row with a different set of attitudes and tactics towards the game. Maybe it’s no surprise our least hands on manager tactically has been our best in the past decade (Koeman).

What he is kind of saying is that it is difficult for a manager to have much affect on his players in a match. You can work on everything in training but soon as the match starts beyond subs it is difficult to change things. That is why it is important to work on what he wants them to do before the match. In the game he can't speak to them in detail to tell them what to do. Look them in the eyes to gauge what they are feeling. The noise makes passing instructions to players difficult. Players should be able to adapt to their physical situations themselves. They should have the intelligence to adapt to the game as it plays out and feel freedom to make their own decisions. Those individual decisions create some of the most memorable moments in the art of football.

The bit you mention about three managers is of course true. But that doesn't mean those managers were actually any good. In fact other than Hughes the other two lost jobs since leaving us. And Hughes hasn't been given a job since.

So yes we have some crap players, I think everyone of us agrees on that. But it doesn't mean the managers we have had were any good. The fact they got sacked again after leaving here would indicate that.

So our players are thick so let s get in a manager who is also thick and they will thrive.

What a load of crap!

I don’t think you can accuse managers by the jobs they lose. Even the best managers get sacked. The vast majority of mangers still find jobs are are constantly recycled.

Of course. It isn't like managers stay in jobs for 3+ years these days is it?

But the point I was making is the three managers (except Hughes) previously have had the same results elsewhere. With different players. Leicester are a good example of how a different manager can get different results with largely the same squad of players.

Which again highlights my point I made earlier in the thread that unless you are a world class manager that has history at top clubs you won't be getting any of the top jobs that enable you to spend fortunes every season on players. Everyone else including Ralph will get jobs at clubs like ours to prove themselves. If Ralph is a type of manager that can only manage quality players and not the average ones to me it suggests he isn't the right guy. If we go down we will have an even less quality squad.

Enjoyed his post-match interview with Amazon today: saying how he had lost his way earlier in the season.

Certainly looks to have his mojo back, and the team he is picking are clearly buying into things. Really hope we help him a little with a decent signing or two in January.

Edited by Suhari

They are. Getting rid of Ralph will achieve nothing. We won today but the fundamental problems remain.
Stand by this. Getting rid of Ralph would have solved nothing. Glad to see him forming a cohesive unit out of some of these players who really aren't very good. The best news is should we stay up, we have a good chance to make the team better through about three shrewd acquisitions. Decent rb, cb and cm and we will be on the way to a pretty decent team.

Enjoyed his post-match interview with Amazon today: saying how he had lost his way earlier in the season.

Certainly looks to have his mojo back, and the team he is picking are clearly buying into things. Really hope we help him a little with a decent signing or two in January.

Perhaps some credit ought to go to Kitzbichler, or at least to having an assistant again. Ralph lost his way, without an assistant (Rohl) to bounce ideas off, eventually Kitzbichler comes in and after a few weeks things start to turn round. Coincidence?

Cedric is dire and Valery has clearly done something wrong. A decent right back would be a great start to the window and Maehle seems like our kind of signing.

CM is key but god knows who. We need experience and leadership in there, but fear he still likes Hojbjerg for some reason. I'd take Wanyama with one leg over him.

Valery has clearly done something wrong... his performance in Leicester game!

Still young with potential but he was woeful, doubt Cedric has ever had a game as bad

Perhaps some credit ought to go to Kitzbichler, or at least to having an assistant again. Ralph lost his way, without an assistant (Rohl) to bounce ideas off, eventually Kitzbichler comes in and after a few weeks things start to turn round. Coincidence?

Perhaps. Maybe Ralph is a decent manager and has just gone through a poor period?

Anyone still want him replaced?

No, he seems to be learning from his stupid mistakes.

I am just surprised it took him so long to figure out 5 defenders was not the answer when we were getting battered every game.

It also raises the question that many had in defence of him. Are the players not as ****e as we thought they were?

He has done well in sorting out the issues and the players seem much more comfortable in the 4-4-2 which is seen in the results. Have to keep it going.

I think the 9-0 was a blessing in disguise. He may have been too over confident in himself before that, making loony decisions like the constant LB and RB messing around and the Bournemouth line up. It brought him down to earth, but at the same time he discovered the board were still 100% behind him. That last part also sent a message to the players that they weren't going to be able to down tools and force him out.

This. I don’t blame Ralph. His hands have been tied with lack of investment. It’s a f@cking joke when a club like Bournemouth can out spend us. The club should never have been sold to Gao.

Not a manager in the game that would get this shower of garbage playing well consistently or flourish with the awful recruitment and lack of support from ownership.

Mate, it doesn’t matter who he picks we have an inadequate set of players. Boufal, Cedric, who ****ing ever. Selling all our good players, buying **** players to replace them and not having an owner interested or swilling to throw money at it are our issues.

No. The players are absolute c**ts. No one could do anything with this lot.

Let's be honest, is it the managers fault in the grand scheme? No.

This is the worst group of players I've ever seen. I'm not talking about pure ability, more so about attitudes, character, leadership. There’s nothing in this group, just a meek mix of utter wimps. I dislike them so much.

Hoj can **** off if he's a captain. He's been half the problem since he's been here. I hope he reads this too, and JWP. Meek and characterless, this signifies the entire group.

Unfortunately Ralph just hasn't had the backing, anyone can see that. Well done to our horrific ownership.

The players haven't regressed under Ralph the majority where ****e before he arrived and... shock gasp horror they are still ****e.

They've improved slightly when we brought in Hughes and then again when Ralph arrived but quickly reverted to type, after a few games, once the new manager bounce tailed off.

What's going on now isn't just down to Ralph but the inevitable culmination of several years of decline in player quaility in our squad.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

No Manager would make this team look secure. The defenders just aren't good enough, and he isn't to blame for that.

Ralph can’t do much with the team, we have had a number of managers with the same squad achieving the same results. Problems lie with the players / recruitment / board / owner. We would not get a better manager than him if we got rid.

Do you have links to these posts saying this?

bang

not too long ago, he was apparently getting the most out of the team when we were 18th and that was the best it could get..

Glad Ralph didnt agree with the forum experts....

Well then they were correct it’s changed can’t you understand that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The big question is what has changed in our backroom set-up 'cos sure as hell something has. It's not all about Ralph chaps

Richard Kitzbichler? Appointed end August, took some time to have an impact. Doesn't mean its all down to him, but simply having a trusted associate acting as a sounding board and taking some of the responsibility from Ralph's shoulders makes a lot of difference.

Richard Kitzbichler? Appointed end August, took some time to have an impact. Doesn't mean its all down to him, but simply having a trusted associate acting as a sounding board and taking some of the responsibility from Ralph's shoulders makes a lot of difference.

Could well be. And after that 9-0 maybe Ralph went back to listening to his number 2 again.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl