Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

15 hours ago, Turkish said:

this is just bizarre

Its batshit to me honest

He needs to make a decision on who his 'favoured' keeper is, neither are good enough in my opinion BUT Forster, for me, is the better of the two.... marginally

Rotation does no favours for the defensive block at all

I couldn't believe that tweet so had to check the actual quote on the 6th may before liverpool game, which aside from his poor judgement of our goalkeepers abilities i don't think he says what is tweeted.

"I'm not really a big fan of having a clear number one goalkeeper," he said.

"I need to have a good goalkeeper in the goal and whether it is number one or number two, or however you call him, it's not interesting to me. "He has to have a duel with another one, just like everyone else on the pitch.

"It's always normal that goalkeepers have the good moments where they are good in form, where they save you the games, where they make you the big saves to keep you a clean sheet or to win you a game.

"But then there are some moments where they are struggling a bit and then maybe the other one is in better momentum and you can use him for this," he continued.

"The good thing is that we have two good goalkeepers that we can trust and this is something of an advantage, I think."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

So will we persist with the high press high drain game that's been proven to be high risk & easily countered or come to the "table" with something fresh? 

High press will work fine if we have adequate squad depth. If anything we showed it was very hard to counter in the first half of the season and latter half of the previous season, if it was that easy to counter then it wouldn't have served us well for so long. Also other major teams play the high press to great effect like Leeds and Liverpool. It's only major counter was we sustained a bunch of injuries and the replacements were awful. I suspect we will make a fair few signings and then implement it again.

Regarding the goalkeeper rotation thing, I'll believe it when I see it. Sounds to me like a motivational thing to make the keeper who is playing play better as they will feel like their spot is constantly under threat. I also think it is pretty likely we will bring in a keeper, given we have two on the last year of their deals. Sell Forster, give Macca a 1-2 year extension, and sink some money into a new first choice, my money is on.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

To bring some balance to this...I remember him being asked about this in one of the pressers towards the end of the season.

What he actually said was that having two good keepers is healthy because it means one can step in when the other goes through a bad period of form. He said he can foresee that during the season both will likely have a spell where they are the first choice keeper. He said that he would judge them in pre season and then select the most impressive one to start the season. Very logical.

He didn't say anything to suggest that they would be switching on a game by game basis.

The problem with these Twitter accounts is they don't explain the full context with the quotes and then some of those who read them interpret it too literally.

Quite clearly Ralph would rather have a new GK, but his hands are tied until next summer in that respect - as both GKs are out of contract then. What an error that Forster extension has been.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dusic said:

To bring some balance to this...I remember him being asked about this in one of the pressers towards the end of the season.

What he actually said was that having two good keepers is healthy because it means one can step in when the other goes through a bad period of form. He said he can foresee that during the season both will likely have a spell where they are the first choice keeper. He said that he would judge them in pre season and then select the most impressive one to start the season. Very logical.

He didn't say anything to suggest that they would be switching on a game by game basis.

The problem with these Twitter accounts is they don't explain the full context with the quotes and then some of those who read them interpret it too literally.

Quite clearly Ralph would rather have a new GK, but his hands are tied until next summer in that respect - as both GKs are out of contract then. What an error that Forster extension has been.

So basically people wet themselves over something that wasn't true. Again. 

It's no wonder we have the government we do when everyone blindly believes everything they read/hear.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Dusic said:

High Five Top Gun GIF

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dusic said:

That means he will be swapping them every game then 😜 

• Like 1

He's basically saying they are both pretty crap and the only way we'll have a half decent keeper is one of them being in form so he'll play whichever one is in better form and they have to battle it out to earn the spot, not that he'll just willy nilly rotate them. 

Basically just competition for places and I am willing to be if we do manage to pick a clear better Keeper they will play every game. 

Edited by tajjuk

19 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

He's basically saying they are both pretty crap and the only way we'll have a half decent keeper is one of them being in form so he'll play whichever one is in better form and they have to battle it out to earn the spot, not that he'll just willy nilly rotate them. 

Basically just competition for places and I am willing to be if we do manage to pick a clear better Keeper they will play every game. 

Surely playing in form players is one of the most basic bits of football management and one you don’t even need to clarify. But how does he suggest anyone gets a run of form when they’re in one week out the next, regardless of how they play? 

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Fair enough, following previous comment above I’ve just read this, make sense. 

12 minutes ago, SKD said:

Surely playing in form players is one of the most basic bits of football management and one you don’t even need to clarify. But how does he suggest anyone gets a run of form when they’re in one week out the next, regardless of how they play? 

Historically its difference IMO with keepers, football managers consistently play ones forever that are out of form, look how long it took De Gea to be dropped. 

Or how Southgate stuck with Pickford. 

13 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm trying to get behind Ralph but if we're rotating between Forster and Mccarthy again next season he needs to go.

I said this and my comment got deleted.

I added on "twat" to it.

I guess they must think Ralph Hasenhuttl reads...

/Checks notes/

Errrr....Saintsweb.

3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

You do if you play Redmond every fucking week. 

Yeah I really didn't get that.... my thoughts were maybe he thought he could rely on him to track back.... but every time he did he gave a foul away somewhere

I still think there is talent in there but he obviously has no idea how to release it consistently

5 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Yeah I really didn't get that.... my thoughts were maybe he thought he could rely on him to track back.... but every time he did he gave a foul away somewhere

I still think there is talent in there but he obviously has no idea how to release it consistently

Its because despite what people say, Tella wasn't very good at all as a 10, and was a much more effective forward. On top of that Walcott was injured a lot and not much better than Redmond, Armstrong had to play at 6 a fair bit, Minimino was equally poor, and Djenepo was either injured or well off form. Redmond was also our third choice forward and Ings was injured a lot. Most of the time we just didn't have many options. There were a few times Adams was dropped for him and those were nuts but Ralph seemed to stop doing that after a few games.

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

Its because despite what people say, Tella wasn't very good at all as a 10, and was a much more effective forward. On top of that Walcott was injured a lot and not much better than Redmond, Armstrong had to play at 6 a fair bit, Minimino was equally poor, and Djenepo was either injured or well off form. Redmond was also our third choice forward and Ings was injured a lot. Most of the time we just didn't have many options. There were a few times Adams was dropped for him and those were nuts but Ralph seemed to stop doing that after a few games.

I think it was more the times Ché was dropped for him... I actually like Ralph as a coach but the guy seems blinkered at times.

I think I said on twitter at the time, Adams seems a real confidence striker (more than most) and had one of his purple patches covering Ings, then scored for Scotland and was rewarded by being dropped for Redmond... odd

I do get your point regarding Tella, but I still didn't see an awful lot of difference in the way either effected the game. We were playing the unorthodox wingback game that we both discussed previously at the time, and were mathematically safe but still persisted with Redmond I still didn't really see much from him that would make me continue with that experiment

'Perhaps' it was a case of Ralph giving players enough to hang themselves..... we'll see

5 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I think it was more the times Ché was dropped for him... I actually like Ralph as a coach but the guy seems blinkered at times.

I think I said on twitter at the time, Adams seems a real confidence striker (more than most) and had one of his purple patches covering Ings, then scored for Scotland and was rewarded by being dropped for Redmond... odd

I do get your point regarding Tella, but I still didn't see an awful lot of difference in the way either effected the game. We were playing the unorthodox wingback game that we both discussed previously at the time, and were mathematically safe but still persisted with Redmond I still didn't really see much from him that would make me continue with that experiment

'Perhaps' it was a case of Ralph giving players enough to hang themselves..... we'll see

Yeah Che being dropped infuriated me. Definitely Ralph's worst decision. Most of Redmonds starts weren't at Che's expense so I think those were generally fine though. 

I do think Redmond was an OK wingback to be fair, Djenepo had a go at it too and was much worse imo. I assume Tella/Mini/Walcott were probably tried in training and weren't up to it, makes sense as the former two are very lightweight and the latter is not as fit as he once was.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

When we started the scouting process in regards to hiring ralph we knew full well the system and style of play that he implemented.The club obviously decided that he was the guy we wanted to go with.Im not saying he doesn't have his faults and as a whole players and staff are equally responsible for the way the last 2 seasons have gone but I would absolutely love to see him managing a team that he has been able to put together fully himself.That will only be the true judge of how successful we can be but as we know with the clubs finances that prob won't happen.In my opinion when the club and Ralph eventually part ways for whatever reason I will prob look back and say right manager,wrong time.Hope not as I like him! 😇

• Like 1

Couldn't believe the way Che got dropped, whilst in form and having been consistently good all season. It seemed to be based on Redmond managing a good game against Bournemouth. 

Che is an underrated player. He lacks the killer instinct and yard of movement in the box to be prolific but his all round game is excellent and we generally played better when he was in the team.

36 minutes ago, benjii said:

Couldn't believe the way Che got dropped, whilst in form and having been consistently good all season. It seemed to be based on Redmond managing a good game against Bournemouth. 

Che is an underrated player. He lacks the killer instinct and yard of movement in the box to be prolific but his all round game is excellent and we generally played better when he was in the team.

Yes, the suspicion Ralph plays favourites (like Redmond) when players like Che Adams are/were in better form is my main criticism of Ralph.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, benjii said:

We are definitely a better team when he’s in it. He gets criticised by many as he does miss a few chances but overall he a good player for us and certainly no way he should be dropped for Redmond. Like you say that was just strange. 

5 hours ago, jimmysaint7 said:

When we started the scouting process in regards to hiring ralph we knew full well the system and style of play that he implemented.The club obviously decided that he was the guy we wanted to go with.Im not saying he doesn't have his faults and as a whole players and staff are equally responsible for the way the last 2 seasons have gone but I would absolutely love to see him managing a team that he has been able to put together fully himself.That will only be the true judge of how successful we can be but as we know with the clubs finances that prob won't happen.In my opinion when the club and Ralph eventually part ways for whatever reason I will prob look back and say right manager,wrong time.Hope not as I like him! 😇

Not sure I agree. What we knew was he was out of work (have to question why if he was so great?), had a bit (and only a bit) of reputation of playing attacking football Alpine Klopp etc.), and was cheap. He knew full well our situation, squad and range of ability to change it, but took the job - which meant he was confident he could succeed in those circumstances, unless he was desperate for a job?  

Agree he has done well in spells but largely he has disappointed in lack of bringing young players through (which he is apparently famed for), bizzare tactics, being stubborn to the point of biting off his nose to spite his face, favourites and non-favourites. Where he has brought in his players they have been average at best, and where has he demonstrated his so called extensive knowledge of the Austrian/German markets to bring in some untapped gems even on loan? If this was Mark H or others record he would already have been rightly vilified, but to some our Alpine Klopp can do no wrong.

Hope I'm very wrong but right now I see us adrift at the bottom within 10 to 15 games next season and the board desperately dithering whether to stick or twist - if we twist it will be an even worse manager. Bin him now and pay for for a quality replacement - better value than splashing £8M on Walcott on just basic wages.

20 minutes ago, Red said:

Not sure I agree. What we knew was he was out of work (have to question why if he was so great?), had a bit (and only a bit) of reputation of playing attacking football Alpine Klopp etc.), and was cheap. He knew full well our situation, squad and range of ability to change it, but took the job - which meant he was confident he could succeed in those circumstances, unless he was desperate for a job?  

Agree he has done well in spells but largely he has disappointed in lack of bringing young players through (which he is apparently famed for), bizzare tactics, being stubborn to the point of biting off his nose to spite his face, favourites and non-favourites. Where he has brought in his players they have been average at best, and where has he demonstrated his so called extensive knowledge of the Austrian/German markets to bring in some untapped gems even on loan? If this was Mark H or others record he would already have been rightly vilified, but to some our Alpine Klopp can do no wrong.

Hope I'm very wrong but right now I see us adrift at the bottom within 10 to 15 games next season and the board desperately dithering whether to stick or twist - if we twist it will be an even worse manager. Bin him now and pay for for a quality replacement - better value than splashing £8M on Walcott on just basic wages.

The German Klopp was out of a job when Liverpool took him. It does seem that the pressing teams fall apart when the system isn't working, but when it does work it can be incredibly effective.

The question is whether the Alpine Klopp can get it working again or whether he's run his course with our players. We'll find out early next season, but if we let him go then I wouldn't be surprised to see him having success with the next club he manages

18 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

The German Klopp was out of a job when Liverpool took him. It does seem that the pressing teams fall apart when the system isn't working, but when it does work it can be incredibly effective.

The question is whether the Alpine Klopp can get it working again or whether he's run his course with our players. We'll find out early next season, but if we let him go then I wouldn't be surprised to see him having success with the next club he manages

Fair point. I guess the frustration is we have failed so many times to get the right solution in the recent past that ultimately we cannot afford to f up this time. Really torn between replacing Ralph or not - would like a change but who would be better that we can afford? 

58 minutes ago, Red said:

I'd argue that the situation he thought he would inherit and the scope of what he was allowed and could afford to change is massively different to what it would be if it wasnt for the financial affect of covid.

He has had us playing some great football at times,really enjoyable and your right to point out he has failings but like I say at times he has been massively let down by he players at times also.

Unfortunately as are club we find ourselves in a situation where we have a owner who doesn't appear to be in a position to invest heavily In the playing side so we appear to have to settle for having an imperfect manager and imperfect players.

Edited by jimmysaint7
Spelling mistake
  • Like 2

Just marvellous…🤦🏻 

Southampton are in talks to extend Macca’s contract. The 31 year-old has lost his place as first team keeper at the club, with Ralph now preferring to alternate goalkeepers.

I hope this is wrong on all counts. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, saint lard said:

Just marvellous…🤦🏻 

Southampton are in talks to extend Macca’s contract. The 31 year-old has lost his place as first team keeper at the club, with Ralph now preferring to alternate goalkeepers.

This is from a random Twitter nothing account. "Macca" FFS.

2 hours ago, saint lard said:

Just marvellous…🤦🏻 

As someone else pointed out this may just be a Twitter "rumour", so shouldn't be given too much credibility. But if there are crumbs of truth in it, I don't think it is so absurd.  Both Forster and McCarthy contracts are up in 1 year, and assuming that we don't replace Gunn this summer that would mean we would have to recruit two new keepers next year.

I don't rate either keeper but actually keeping one as a backup would make sense as we probably don't have the cash for buying two keepers.  Maybe Forster has already told Saints he is off or won't reduce his current salary.   

There is so much we don't know, but somebody has to do some long term planning. My preferred option would be to get a new Keeper this summer who is a clear number 1 (and get rid of Forster or McC), but we all know that funds are stretched so maybe this will wait another year. 

I absolutely hate the idea of alternating keepers, but again not sure that the Twitter stating that Ralph will do next year was based on an actual clear statement. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

I am very confused with the Che Adams situation. A sizable amount of people on here don't seem to rate him....not good enough, and yet Ralph is getting stick for dropping him "when he is in form". 

That is only confusing if it is the same people 'not rating him' and also wanting him in the team. 

On 06/06/2021 at 16:52, sadoldgit said:

Ralph is clearly a quality manager and I’m pleased that the club are standing by him. Whether he had what it takes to bring the club on within the obvious financial constraints remains to be seen, but he has earned the right to try after his work here in 2020. As for Howe or the next manager, they will have exactly the same problems here as Ralph, so until we get some investment any manager faces a tough job.

How is he clearly a quality manager? Can you list his attributes please.

49 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

I think that in some cases it might be....

I'm sure this is true in some cases so that people can push an agenda but thinking a player isn't very good and questioning why they are dropped when they are actually in a good run of form don't have to be mutually exclusive (I personally do rate Che).

On the other hand there are some people on here who act like until Ralph has a fully fit squad, is given a large transfer kitty and has brought in a full teams worth of players that we shouldn't be able to critique his team selections, tactics, substitutions and man management as if we can't take issues such as squad depth and fitness into account before judging him on his own merits as a coach/manager.

32 minutes ago, Kermitzasaint said:

Go and look at his previous record. He also managed to get a bang average team to the top of the EPL albeit briefly. You don’t achieve what he has achieved in the game by being a poor coach.

2 hours ago, Kermitzasaint said:

Did he fluke taking a newly promoted team to 2nd and 6th in the Bundesliga? Did he fluke having a superb 2020 with Saints that saw us pick up the 5th most in a large sample size of a year? Sure, 2021 has not been good, but lets not write him off based on 6 months of his career!

No matter who he brings in during this window I can see know improvement unless he changes his mindset, he's too stubborn.........another 9-0 drubbing by Man U, Leicester or any other club who fancies their chances awaits.

1 minute ago, harvey said:

No matter who he brings in during this window I can see know improvement unless he changes his mindset, he's too stubborn.........another 9-0 drubbing by Man U, Leicester or any other club who fancies their chances awaits.

He learned from those matches, hence the change in approach when we went down to 10 men vs Leicester City and got a point.

9 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

He learned from those matches, hence the change in approach when we went down to 10 men vs Leicester City and got a point.

Well he obviously didn't learn when we went on that horrendous loosing streak playing the same way week after week without changing tactics or trying to shake it up a bit........she semi against Leicester was disgusting.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

52 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Did he fluke taking a newly promoted team to 2nd and 6th in the Bundesliga? Did he fluke having a superb 2020 with Saints that saw us pick up the 5th most in a large sample size of a year? Sure, 2021 has not been good, but lets not write him off based on 6 months of his career!

Yeah...but...no but....

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl