Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

1 hour ago, Batman said:

New keeper inbound reckon

McCarthy sold, Forster loaned/sold....

Is that a source or just your opinion?

would be nice to get an upgrade.

someone good with his feet, can come out for crosses and pretty mobile.

11 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Assuming we do want attacking reinforcements (not sure our budget will stretch to that) but Eze @ QPR would be on my list.

I’ve watched QPR a few times this season and had a chat with a few of members of their staff. 

From what I’ve seen, Eze is clearly a level above anyone I’ve seen them play against, but he does go missing in games. pretty much either unplayable or very quiet, very inconsistent at the moment. 

Under some good coaching he has the potential to be a top player, I’m not sure that he’s ready yet and I don’t know if he’d suit our high pressing game. 

all in all, there’s a player in there, but I don’t know if he’s be a regular starter for us just yet. 

my opinion, of course. 

Looking at videos of this kid Eze of QPR he looks brilliant. Only 22 he is strong, quick and brave with bags of skill and a good finisher. I'm certain other Prem clubs will be looking at him. He is a bag of tricks and flicks most of which come off. Very direct and glides past opponents with ease. Great control and awareness. He's pretty much got the lot. Go get him quick before somebody else does.

2 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Looking at videos of this kid Eze of QPR he looks brilliant. Only 22 he is strong, quick and brave with bags of skill and a good finisher. I'm certain other Prem clubs will be looking at him. He is a bag of tricks and flicks most of which come off. Very direct and glides past opponents with ease. Great control and awareness. He's pretty much got the lot. Go get him quick before somebody else does.

Alan Nixon linked us with him last year. Spurs were linked too.

14 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

buendia , He should be our number one target in the summer. Reminds me so much of Tadic.

13 hours ago, Chez said:

sometimes those expectations don't become reality and you have to reassess. You have to be a special player to get that free role at a big club that he has thrived in at Norwich. Prefer Books myself, although his injury makes it a touch call to spend big on him. King is another quality player IMO.

I said in the relegated teams - buendia or Cantwell from Norwich (cant see them selling both tbh) - I have heard on the grapevine / gossip that Cantwell is off to a top 6 team (pool or utd) and buendia  is off to Leeds (Argie connection ) :classic_sad:

Cant see Brooks coming to us either - i would have thought a bigger team would buy him or Bournemouth will keep him even if they go down

King I love - works hard a better version of Long (works the channels, frees up space for Wilson) as he actually scores sometimes

Harry Wilson from Bournemouth should be worth a view but the number 1 choice from Bournemouth for me is Jefferson Lerma - exactly what we need, dynamic, cynical, middle of the park DCM breaking up play (as he does to us ever time we play them!)  

3 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

Is that a source or just your opinion?

would be nice to get an upgrade.

someone good with his feet, can come out for crosses and pretty mobile.

Andy Brassell on Football Ramble believes this is on the cards (McCarthy being sold).  we have (apparently) been looking on the continent for a new keeper

https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/Transferts-reims-a-repousse-une-offre-de-monaco-pour-axel-disasi/1150976

Says Saints have had a €15m offer on the table for weeks, suggesting player isn't keen.

Wonder who we prefer out of Salisu and Disasi?

If this is true then we obviously have no financial problem meeting the Salisu clause so if Disasi doesn't want to join amd Salisu seemingly does then hopefully we tie that up rather than miss out on both.

--------

Update: Salisu to decide between Saints and Rennes imminently as both agree to pay his release clause:

https://as.com/futbol/2020/07/09/primera/1594247815_770000.html?id_externo_rsoc=comp_tw

Edited by Dusic

22 hours ago, SKD said:

I’ve watched QPR a few times this season and had a chat with a few of members of their staff. 

From what I’ve seen, Eze is clearly a level above anyone I’ve seen them play against, but he does go missing in games. pretty much either unplayable or very quiet, very inconsistent at the moment. 

Under some good coaching he has the potential to be a top player, I’m not sure that he’s ready yet and I don’t know if he’d suit our high pressing game. 

all in all, there’s a player in there, but I don’t know if he’s be a regular starter for us just yet. 

my opinion, of course. 

Looks a good player whenever I have seen him, but as with all skillful players, if what they are trying does'nt come off and opponents set up to stop you, you can easily disappear. What position does he play? We seem to have moved away from having the tricky players behind the striker in favour of more hard working midfielders. I am wondering if he would fit the system. He looks like he has great balance and good composure. A workmanlike team has got us to mid table, but if you want to take on the bog sides you need a bit of flair IMO. Even that title winning Leicester side had Mahrez.

10 hours ago, Dusic said:

https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/Transferts-reims-a-repousse-une-offre-de-monaco-pour-axel-disasi/1150976

Says Saints have had a €15m offer on the table for weeks, suggesting player isn't keen.

Wonder who we prefer out of Salisu and Disasi?

If this is true then we obviously have no financial problem meeting the Salisu clause so if Disasi doesn't want to join amd Salisu seemingly does then hopefully we tie that up rather than miss out on both.

--------

Update: Salisu to decide between Saints and Rennes imminently as both agree to pay his release clause:

https://as.com/futbol/2020/07/09/primera/1594247815_770000.html?id_externo_rsoc=comp_tw

If all the previous stories are true, in that he was holding out for a Prem move, then hopefully this should be fairly straightforward. Better money, more exposure and the chance to move to a top English club if he performs well for 2-3 years.

Saints mentioned as having a passing interest in 18 year old Wigan striker Joe Gelhardt:

Striker Joe Gelhardt could also find a new home as Tottenham, Everton, Southampton, Leeds and Celtic consider a move. Remarkably Wigan failed to lodge a new three-year contract and his current deal has just a year left.

Source: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/12098320/wigan-administration-sale-buyers-wage-bill/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=sunfootballtwitter&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1594503735

What would people think about us signing Ovie Ejaria? Skillful, talented young player on the ball and is better at ball winning than similar players like Eze.

Also for midfield would it be impossible to sign John Mcginn? I think the three of JWP, Armstrong and Mcginn would be very solid

And for defence, though he's been injured (but that could work in our favour for signing him) Ampadu could be someone to consider if we have no luck with the CBs we're trying to get.

Edited by Oh_ah_up_the_saints
Wanted to add

2 hours ago, Oh_ah_up_the_saints said:

Also for midfield would it be impossible to sign John Mcginn? I think the three of JWP, Armstrong and Mcginn would be very solid

I like McGinn, but we don't play 3 in midfield.  If he joined, he'd likely be competition for Armstrong or Redmond on either side of the 4-2-2-2.

Edited by Saint Garrett

The summer windows are all big but this one feels like a window that could define Saints for 2 or 3 years.

So far a good end to the season, squad playing exactly how the Manager wants, some high profile performances that targets will have seen and clear weaknesses that are extremely obvious to everyone at the club.

Really hope we support the Manager, who is clearly class and knows exactly what he wants.

So far, in 4 windows since being at the club he has made two permanent signings (Djenepo, Adams). Cover the weaknesses and see what he can do with a rounded squad and better options in certain positions.

Just now, Dusic said:

The summer windows are all big but this one feels like a window that could define Saints for 2 or 3 years.

So far a good end to the season, squad playing exactly how the Manager wants, some high profile performances that targets will have seen and clear weaknesses that are extremely obvious to everyone at the club.

Really hope we support the Manager, who is clearly class and knows exactly what he wants.

So far, in 4 windows since being at the club he has made two permanent signings (Djenepo, Adams). Cover the weaknesses and see what he can do with a rounded squad and better options in certain positions.

& we are still lumbered with those high earners we can’t shift. 

12 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

I like McGinn, but we don't play 3 in midfield.  If he joined, he'd likely be competition for Armstrong or Redmond on either side of the 4-2-2-2.

Looks like hes carrying a bit of timber after returning from the bad injury he had. Would need to up his workrate for Ralphs liking. Very good on the ball tho

So the 'Summer 2020' transfer thread will become the Summer/Autumn 2020 transfer thread.

Confirmed the window will open between 27th July and the 5th October.

With an additional week between 5th - 16th for just EFL transfers (loans etc)

13 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

So the 'Summer 2020' transfer thread will become the Summer/Autumn 2020 transfer thread.

Confirmed the window will open between 27th July and the 5th October.

With an additional week between 5th - 16th for just EFL transfers (loans etc)

When is the next season due to actually start then? 

12 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

That's a long time after the season starts to still be vulnerable to people picking off our players.

The whole 'transfer window closing before the first game' malarkey was shelved at the end of the last one anyway, it was meant to go back to a normal August 31st closure this year.