Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

2 hours ago, Badger said:

I'm with you Woodsaint, not convinced by a few appearances at the end of the season at all. Had his scuffed clearance v City lead to an equaliser I think the response on here might be different.

The Clyne comparisons are perhaps inevitable, although possibly just ' racial profiling' to use a phrase being bandied about at the moment.

For me the comparison doesn't fully stack up though, Clyne had played over 100 matches for Palace including some performances that took the eye in the League Cup, (Old Trafford for one) and was to some extent established, KWP  -according to Wikipedia - has played c 12 games for Spurs (probably an underestimate, I've read a figure of 20 something elsewhere, but point being at 22 he's pretty raw still).

Although of similar build Clyne seemed to have much more strength and wasn't easily brushed off the ball.

Yes, I likened him to Clyne because I’m a hideous racist, no other reason.

• Haha 3

I think he has the same style of play on the ball, that's why I've likened him to Clyne. Similar height too, similarly agile.

But of course, it's a racist comparison.

Can anyone say anything in this world anymore? Or do we all lock ourselves away, avoid saying what we want in fear of outright outrage?

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, iansums said:

Yes, I likened him to Clyne because I’m a hideous racist, no other reason.

15 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think he has the same style of play on the ball, that's why I've likened him to Clyne. Similar height too, similarly agile.

But of course, it's a racist comparison.

Can anyone say anything in this world anymore? Or do we all lock ourselves away, avoid saying what we want in fear of outright outrage?

Was said tongue in cheek chaps, not seriously suggesting anything untoward in the comaprisons, although persoanlly I think Clyne was far ahead in his ability and what he offered when he joined us.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Was said tongue in cheek chaps, not seriously suggesting anything untoward in the comaprisons, although persoanlly I think Clyne was far ahead in his ability and what he offered when he joined us.

For sure, I get that. I don't think people are saying he's a like for like, but people are seeing similarities in his style of play I think. I see potential too, he's got a lot of growth in his game that a good coach could mould, but how much money I'd be prepared to shell out is questionable. It's a tricky call and one we'll have to trust Ralph with!

23 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Dont get the buzz around KWP. IMO hes looked okay in some games (was awful against Arsenal). Hes too lightweight and gets muscled off the ball both defensively and offensively way too easy. Yes he looks a better option than Valery, but thats no mean feat as Valery has been shocking this season. Honestly believe if we want to push on for a top half/top 8 finish next season we need to set our sights higher than Spurs' third choice RB. Also the fact that Levy will try and squeeze us for every penny.

Would rather we pushed for Maehle or Zeefuik. Two stronger, more dynamic full backs - and both would likely be cheaper than KWP.

Have you seen a lot of Maehle and Zeefuik? I don't know anything about them really other than their position. Would be interesting to know their strengths.

For me KWP is a no brainer. He's had time with Ralph, with the team, playing our style, and proved he's (at the very least) capable at this level. With all the risks we've taken with players from abroad that haven't paid off I'm surprised anyone would think it's a bad idea.

1 hour ago, CWD said:

Have you seen a lot of Maehle and Zeefuik? I don't know anything about them really other than their position. Would be interesting to know their strengths.

For me KWP is a no brainer. He's had time with Ralph, with the team, playing our style, and proved he's (at the very least) capable at this level. With all the risks we've taken with players from abroad that haven't paid off I'm surprised anyone would think it's a bad idea.

I've seen quite a bit of Maehle (dont know much about Zeefuik i admit). Maehle is big for a RB so rarely gets outmuscled or beaten in the air (remember those dreaded hung up crosses to the back post targeting Cedric!!!). Very quick and offers good attacking threat. Unfortunately, I think we've probably missed our opportunity as a number of champions league clubs including Atalanta are now interested. Hope not.

5 minutes ago, Dusic said:

If Forster is back here then loaning Gunn out for a season of PL football would be good, but only if he was playing every week.

We need to sell off Forster, he is costing us an absolute fortune.

sell when his stock is high.

we need to be ruthless if we want to improve the squad elsewhere

It's interesting to me to see how down some 'fans' are on our own players; I tend towards the opposite, being if anything a bit too optimistic about our guys ... because I'm a supporter!

That said, I think our performances since November, and especially since the restart, show that we have the core of a very good PL team, capable of a strong top half performance. We do need to get stronger in a few areas, but only a few. If Hojbjerg goes we'll need another CM, because we can't be sure either Reed or Slattery can be a reliable backup to JWP and Romeu. We need at least one CB, two if Vestergaard goes; and ideally if we can find one who is better than Stephens or Bednarek, that'd be great ... but it won't be easy to find and sign a CB of that quality. OK, Stephens and Bed are no Rio Ferdinand or VVD, but if they were they wouldn't be playing for us; they have shown this year that they are a capable PL CB pairing.

We have good quality and variety up front with Ings, Adams, Long and Obafemi: all except Ings have shortcomings, but we're Southampton, not Liverpool or ManU! If we sign KWP and keep Bertrand we're solid at fullback, with Valery and Vokins as decent backups with potential to improve.

In other words, we really don't need that much: KWP, a good CB or two, and a CM; anything more would be gravy, but with those signings we could be very optimistic for next season, imo.

• Confused 1

Eze is a logical target for Palace 

West Ham and Palace lead chase for Eze

Among the standout performers in this season’s Championship has been QPR forward Eberechi Eze and the 22-year-old’s progress looks set to be rewarded with a move to the Premier League.

Eze scored his 13th goal of the campaign in Saturday’s victory over Millwall and that is only likely to heighten the interest in a player who has a year left on his contract at the west London club.

West Ham boss David Moyes was in attendance at the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium and The Athletic is told that the main contenders for Eze’s services are them and Crystal Palace. Although QPR want £20 million for the attacking midfielder, it is likely that they will have to accept considerably less.

Eze joined QPR as an 18-year-old after a successful trial and has registered 19 goals in 111 appearances to date. He played for England at youth level but also qualifies to represent Nigeria.

Just now, Baird of the land said:

may well be that. i’m just surprised there hasn’t seemd to be more interest in this young free agent especially in the current economic climate.

Perhaps there was, but not everything is made public. The club that sign him announce the deal, other clubs that wanted him but didn't sign him won't announce they didn't get him.

In Southampton's case, even if they were interested there is no point getting him if they have other targets they want that are higher up their target list.

3 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

may well be that. i’m just surprised there hasn’t seemd to be more interest in this young free agent especially in the current economic climate.

Think Palace were in for him in January and had it pretty much sealed then, but an issue with his knee meant it didn’t go through. I’d imagine they wanted to wait until he was a free before taken a punt

Leeds in for Cavani. Why don’t we show that sort of ambition? I haven’t seen us linked with a big name over the hill international footballer on ridiculous wages since Cortese managed to persuade Alessandro Del Pierro he was better off moving to Australia than signing for us.

10 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Leeds in for Cavani. Why don’t we show that sort of ambition? I haven’t seen us linked with a big name over the hill international footballer on ridiculous wages since Cortese managed to persuade Alessandro Del Pierro he was better off moving to Australia than signing for us.

I wonder if they'll be next seasons Villa or previously Fulham. Throw around silly money signing 6-8 players, ppl on here getting annoyed that we're not showing the same ambition....but then they'll still be fighting relegation

1 minute ago, woodsaint1 said:

I wonder if they'll be next seasons Villa or previously Fulham. Throw around silly money signing 6-8 players, ppl on here getting annoyed that we're not showing the same ambition....but then they'll still be fighting relegation

To be fair I think it’d more the chairman waving his dick about than any strategy. Bielsa isn’t the type to make big changes, they do need a striker though and a keeper and center back at least. 

53 minutes ago, Turkish said:

To be fair I think it’d more the chairman waving his dick about than any strategy. Bielsa isn’t the type to make big changes, they do need a striker though and a keeper and center back at least. 

Any chance you think we could mug them off with two high quality additions: Fraser Forster/Angus Gunn and Wes Hoedt?  Batch job 2, for the price of 1 only 20 million for the 2 😀

43 minutes ago, washsaint said:

Any chance you think we could mug them off with two high quality additions: Fraser Forster/Angus Gunn and Wes Hoedt?  Batch job 2, for the price of 1 only 20 million for the 2 😀

We should loan Leeds Che for the season or half a season. Che gets some good training and coaching & perhaps boosts his self confidence from a brilliant manager then we get him back at the end of the season (or Christmas). Meanwhile, we bring in a suitable foil/partner or backup in case Ings gets injured. 

I like Shane Long but he’s not a prolific goalscorer and I wouldn’t feel confident of goals with Obafemi & Long starting. We do need another striker to support Ings. We leave  ourselves vulnerable otherwise. I can’t see Carillio being that man but who knows. 

I’m happy with our seemingly wise defensive maintenance we seem to be quietly orchestrating. Much needed. 

I’m most excited about getting Harrison Reed back and seeing how he does under Ralph’s tutelage. I’m unsure if Harrison will be seen as a direct replacement for Højbjerg or whether we will purchase another central midfielder. 

Aside from the obvious defensive transfers, the best signing we can make for the team would be a player like Lemina. That debacle is such a shame as he is absolute quality and exactly what would drive our squad to that next level. I wish he wasn’t mental. 🤪 

I hope we can sell or loan out Gunn. I’d like to see how Forster manages under Ralph. Sell on Vestergaard. 

7 hours ago, washsaint said:

We could actually fix all their issues as we have a world class striker with a goal ratio of a goal every other game in the last year of his contract too. Forster, Hoedt, Carillo, 3 experienced top flight players with proven track records all available for the bargain combined fee of only £50m. We could even throw in the tenacious midfield general, champions league winning Lemina into the mix for an additional £18m. 

Edited by Turkish

7 hours ago, Gordon Mockles said:

We should loan Leeds Che for the season or half a season. Che gets some good training and coaching & perhaps boosts his self confidence from a brilliant manager then we get him back at the end of the season (or Christmas). Meanwhile, we bring in a suitable foil/partner or backup in case Ings gets injured. 

I like Shane Long but he’s not a prolific goalscorer and I wouldn’t feel confident of goals with Obafemi & Long starting. We do need another striker to support Ings. We leave  ourselves vulnerable otherwise. I can’t see Carillio being that man but who knows. 

I’m happy with our seemingly wise defensive maintenance we seem to be quietly orchestrating. Much needed. 

I’m most excited about getting Harrison Reed back and seeing how he does under Ralph’s tutelage. I’m unsure if Harrison will be seen as a direct replacement for Højbjerg or whether we will purchase another central midfielder. 

Aside from the obvious defensive transfers, the best signing we can make for the team would be a player like Lemina. That debacle is such a shame as he is absolute quality and exactly what would drive our squad to that next level. I wish he wasn’t mental. 🤪 

I hope we can sell or loan out Gunn. I’d like to see how Forster manages under Ralph. Sell on Vestergaard. 

Sorry I don’t understand why do that, you are saying that Bielsa would teach more than Ralph? It hasn’t done much for Bamford according to my mate Bamford can’t hit cows arse.

Che has broken through here now so why ruin that and any belief spirit bonding he has achieved It sends wrong signal to Che you are not good enough in the Prem for us but ok for Leeds who are rumoured in for Cavani anyway.

Edited by Give it to Ron