Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

given another poor transfer window in Jan...we are going to need (roughly)

2x LBs

2x CBs (assuming at least one of Yoshida/Vest leave)

1x RB

2x CM

1x Striker (2x if Adams leaves)

Absolutely never ever going to happen, let alone needing to shift around another 5 players to 'fund' it

Edited by Batman

If you buy more than 4-5 in any window isn't that "doing a fulham" and guaranteed* to end in relegation

*Ignore Wolves and possibly Villa

we, of course will not bring in 8 players in the summer that are good enough to be in/around the 1st team. People will of course politely applaud the club for trying etc.

We need to accept that Goa isnt going to pump in any money.

Reality is we first need to shift some of the Les Reed garbage before we can spend any money.

If we start selling and still not spending we have big problems.

Hoedt

Carrillo

Lemina

Moi

FF

Boufal

Reed

Sims

Vesty

possibly Adams

could raise a few quid to allow Ralph 3-4 of his own additions

Reality is we first need to shift some of the Les Reed garbage before we can spend any money.

Hoedt

Carrillo

Lemina

Moi

FF

Boufal

Reed

Sims

Vesty

possibly Adams

dont forget that Hojberg will probably 'need' to be sold.

Romeu may want to go (linked this window)

Throw in a surprise bid that is too good to turn down

Bertrand will go

My guess is that we’ll bring in 3, maybe 4.

We’ll certainly get a RB.

I suspect we’ll get a CB and I think we’ll sell Bertrand and get a LB.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if we sold PEH so will need to replace him.

Isn’t long out of contract in the summer as well?

My guess is that we’ll bring in 3, maybe 4.

We’ll certainly get a RB.

I suspect we’ll get a CB and I think we’ll sell Bertrand and get a LB.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if we sold PEH so will need to replace him.

Isn’t long out of contract in the summer as well?

yep, yoshida will certainly leave too

massive turn around of players that is simply unachievable in a single window

We don't need near that and it'd hit us financially and in terms of the team to do it. We only need a striker if someone leaves, the rest are good options and Obafemi and Adams will be looking to improve.

LB if Bertrand goes, no way we'll be signing two of them regardless.

Why 2 CMs? We need one extra one so only if someone leaves like JWP or Hojbjerg. RB will be KWP I'd imagine, if not then we need one. CB depends if Vestergaard leaves.

We really need quality over quantity, No signing of back up players. People on here, and other clubs fans just crave signings then write them off and crave more. Look jealous at other clubs, who then fail, but they learn nothing. Still jealous of all Everton and West Ham's spending. Both are crap.

We should aim to get 1 CB, 1 RB, 1 CM. That's assuming no one leaves from the current crop being played, and KWP might be the RB signing. If Boufal goes, another creative player. That's about it. Squad harmony and stability counts for a lot too.

We only need a striker if someone leaves... someone like Long who is out of contract perhaps? Why 2 CM? Well... we only have 3, Romeu has one year left on his contract and Ralph doesn't rate him much, Hojbjerg also has one year left and JWP sometimes fills in at RB.

Not saying it's necessarily a bad situation, players need to be offloaded if we are to make way for better ones, but this summer we need both quality and quantity. One or the other won't cut it. Assuming all the players out of contract in 2020 and 2021 leave, then for me we need 1xCB, 1xRB, 1xLB, 3xCM, 1xFW, preferably with some of these players being versatile like the RB also covering LB and the midfielders the various different midfield roles.

We don't need near that and it'd hit us financially and in terms of the team to do it. We only need a striker if someone leaves, the rest are good options and Obafemi and Adams will be looking to improve.

LB if Bertrand goes, no way we'll be signing two of them regardless.

Why 2 CMs? We need one extra one so only if someone leaves like JWP or Hojbjerg. RB will be KWP I'd imagine, if not then we need one. CB depends if Vestergaard leaves.

We really need quality over quantity, No signing of back up players. People on here, and other clubs fans just crave signings then write them off and crave more. Look jealous at other clubs, who then fail, but they learn nothing. Still jealous of all Everton and West Ham's spending. Both are crap.

We should aim to get 1 CB, 1 RB, 1 CM. That's assuming no one leaves from the current crop being played, and KWP might be the RB signing. If Boufal goes, another creative player. That's about it. Squad harmony and stability counts for a lot too.

Ok,

We will need the following to be immediate starters...

1x RB

1x LB assuming Bertrand leaves

1x CB assuming at least 1 of Yoshida/Vestergaard leaves

1x CM assuming Hoj is sold

1x CM assuming Romeu leaves

1x ST if Adams leaves (debatable) (but then, Long will be gone)

to achieve the above (inc the assumptions) we probably will still need to shift the following to make it financially viable..

Forster

Hoedt

Lemina

Mo

Carillo

that does not take into account an unexpected bid for a player not mentioned above that makes 'financial sense' to shift because of x,y or z.

given how we have danced in the transfer market in recent years, all barking mad

Ok,

1x RB

to achieve the above (inc the assumptions) we probably will still need to shift the following to make it financially viable..

Forster

Hoedt

Lemina

Mo

Carillo

that does not take into account an unexpected bid for a player not mentioned above that makes 'financial sense' to shift because of x,y or z.

given how we have danced in the transfer market in recent years, all barking mad

You make a lot of assumptions in your post if this happens then this bla bla bla.

The summer budget will be higher when you include the £35 million we haven't spent this window, the £50 million we'll get for JWP and the £40 million we'll get for Ings. But the good news is that Long and Yoshida sign new contracts for 4 years apiece.

Ok,

1x RB

Forster

Hoedt

Lemina

Mo

Carillo

How come most players “leave” but Hoj is “sold?” What makes you think so many of the 1st team squad will go? Don’t you think that we will be looking to keep our better players while putting our efforts into finally getting rid of the dead wood?

We've got situations with the likes of Bertrand, PEH, Romeu, Bofaul - all contracts with a year to run come the summer. Club will 99% want to cash in if they won't re-sign, likelihood is that they won't if they haven't already. So we've got those to replace.

Then you've got Cedric, Danso (?), KWP (loan expire), Yoshida and Long to think about too - they all leave at the end of the season.

On top of that, we already need CB's, CM's, then we need to have a stormer.

I’m a tiny bit optimistic that maybe the club are looking get a few high earners off, then bolster the squad all over - but I've tried to be optimistic for the last 3 years. Likelihood is that we will end the transfer window weaker than we started it. Just a hunch based on previous experience and an owner who doesn’t want to invest.

We've got situations with the likes of Bertrand, PEH, Romeu, Bofaul - all contracts with a year to run come the summer. Club will 99% want to cash in if they won't re-sign, likelihood is that they won't if they haven't already. So we've got those to replace.

Then you've got Cedric, Danso (?), KWP (loan expire), Yoshida and Long to think about too - they all leave at the end of the season.

On top of that, we already need CB's, CM's, then we need to have a stormer.

I’m a tiny bit optimistic that maybe the club are looking get a few high earners off, then bolster the squad all over - but I've tried to be optimistic for the last 3 years. Likelihood is that we will end the transfer window weaker than we started it. Just a hunch based on previous experience and an owner who doesn’t want to invest.

& our recruitment expert isn’t supposedly joining until the summer.

You make a lot of assumptions in your post if this happens then this bla bla bla.

Do you think we won’t be cashing in on a handful of players with a year to run on their contracts?

More so when we struggle to sell the dross we have out on loan.

It is a train wreck waiting to happen as we can’t buy in January due to apparent inflated fees. Wait till the summer when we become desperate to by a team!

Edited by Batman

Do you think we won’t be cashing in on a handful of players with a year to run on their contracts?

More so when we struggle to sell the dross we have out on loan.

It is a train wreck waiting to happen as we can’t buy in January due to apparent inflated fees. Wait till the summer when we become desperate to by a team!

What will you do with your Saints calendar as no-one will be left?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

given another poor transfer window in Jan...

Has any Club in the premier league had a Good January Transfer Window?

Players just aren’t available at this time of the year.

We’ve seen Chelsea try and sign a striker all window and still nothing

Utd need 3 or 4 players and are having to pay 10/15m more for a player than they wanted to get 1 in.

Arsenal are signing Cedric and a relatively unknown CB

I know in an ideal world we’d sign two or three but I’d say our activity in January is indicative of the market in general, rather than our overall strategy.

The summer will be a better marker

I think people are assuming that any player leaving must be replaced like for like. We have heard multiple times that Ralph likes to work with a small squad (approx 20 players)

I assume next season will b

1)Mccarthy

2) Gunn

3) valery

4) new rb

5) bednarek

6) Stephens

7) vestergaard/new cb

8) Bertrand

9) new lb

10) jwp

11) romeu /new cm

12) hoj

13) redmond

14)Armstrong

15) djenepo

16) Adams

17) ings

18) obafemi

19) boufal or boufal replacement

20) Danso or youth team step up

That means if we sell no one on that list we only need a new lb and a new rb. I expect us to sell romeu and vestergaard, maybe Adams and Boufal which would leave us needing a max of 6 signings. The people quoting 8 or 9 signings are either assuming we'll have another mass first team exodus or that we are happy with the huge bloated squad we have at the moment.

In the future a squad like ours will have positions like 4th striker, 4th cb, and 4th cm played by youth.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Edited by TWar

Hoedt

Carrillo

Lemina

Moi

FF

Boufal

Reed

Sims

Vesty

possibly Adams

Our summer transfer window is almost entirely dependant on the money we make from selling current players - realistically how much as we going to make from selling any of those - if we can indeed actually sell any of them - we could nt this summer

Hoedt

Carrillo

Lemina

Moi

FF

Boufal

Reed

Sims

Vesty

possibly Adams

Goa doesn’t even need to put any money in. Every other club seems to manage struggle through every year not needing to sell to buy so all we need to do is do what every other club who has played in the premier league does. Incredibly these clubs have also made bad signings but that doesn’t seem to stop them making other signings. Strangely some of our cheerleaders who are happy for us not sign anyone in case they turn out to be rubbish because that’s what happened with Vestergaard.

given another poor transfer window in Jan...we are going to need (roughly)

2x LBs

2x CBs (assuming at least one of Yoshida/Vest leave)

1x RB

2x CM

1x Striker (2x if Adams leaves)

Absolutely never ever going to happen, let alone needing to shift around another 5 players to 'fund' it

I fully expect a couple of new players in and a load of spin about how great our young players are and we don’t want to bring anyone in to block their pathway to the first team

Goa doesn’t even need to put any money in. Every other club seems to manage struggle through every year not needing to sell to buy so all we need to do is do what every other club who has played in the premier league does. Incredibly these clubs have also made bad signings but that doesn’t seem to stop them making other signings. Strangely some of our cheerleaders who are happy for us not sign anyone in case they turn out to be rubbish because that’s what happened with Vestergaard.

I've not seen anyone suggest that they'd be "happy for us not to sign anyone". All of us want our team and squad to improve. The point is that chucking £20m or whatever on a footballer is not an "investment" as people think. An investment involves getting your money back, with a cherry on top. Our recent track record is shocking and money will be lost on Vestergaard, Moi, Hoedt, Carrillo, Lemina etc. Thus, none of those players represent an investment, rather they'll all lose money.

Goa doesn't like to spend, we all know that, and I'd be surprised if you really think that those signings will persuade him that chucking big bucks at a footballer represents a sound investment. This isn't about what we as fans would like to happen, it's a matter of what us realistic with this bloke in charge.

Squad numbers look like they'll need some changes for next season.

1. Alex McCarthy – 2022

4. Jannik Vestergaard – 2022

5. Jack Stephens – 2022

9. Danny Ings – 2022

10. Ché Adams - 2024

12. Moussa Djénépo – 2023

14. Oriol Romeu – 2021

16. James Ward-Prowse – 2022

17. Stuart Armstrong – 2022

19. Sofiane Boufal - 2021

20. Michael Obafemi - 2022

21. Ryan Bertrand – 2021

22. Nathan Redmond – 2023

23. Pierre Højbjerg – 2021

27. Will Smallbone – 2021

28. Angus Gunn - 2023

29. Jake Vokins – 2021

30. Callum Slattery – 2022

31. Kayne Ramsay – 2021

35. Jan Bednarek - 2022

40. Dan N'Lundulu – 2022

43. Yan Valery – 2023

45. Sam McQueen – 2021

I think this summer has the potential to be an absolute horror show - and could start with the manager washing his hands of this whole nonsense.

Cedric, Yoshida and Long are out of contract. I could potentially see us offering Long a one year extension, given how much he's played lately, but the other two are gone.

Hojbjerg, Bertrand, Romeu and Boufal are entering the final year of their contracts. There's no way we're going ride it out and let all four leave on a free, so anyone not signed up for an extension will probably be sold. Hojbjerg has been running his contract down deliberately - the club have been trying to get him to extend for a year or so. I don't think he's staying. Bertrand has been off every summer since he joined, yet he's still here, so it's hard to second guess what his future is, but he'd fetch a decent price in the current market so we'll probably try to sell him if he doesn't extend. They might do a Cedric and play him for half a season and then recoup a few pennies with six months left on his deal. Romeu and Boufal are bit part players who are unlikely to be offered new terms and the club will shop them around.

The club have seemingly been listening to offers for Vestergaard and Adams in this window, which suggest they don't have much of a future here beyond this season.

And none of this is taking into account the fact that we actually have some half decent players at the moment, like Ings, Ward-Prowse and Redmond that might have caught the eye of bigger clubs. I don't see us contemplating anything but ridiculous money for them, but you never know who's going to kick up a fuss and try and force a move.

So we might lose our manager, up to nine players from the first team squad, and we still haven't got a head of recruitment.

If that's not a recipe for disaster, I don't know what is.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Why are we assuming so many people are leaving?

I reckon Long will get a new contract so I doubt with Ings, Obafemi, Adams and Long we will sign a striker.

Yoshida and Cedric are leaving, so we will need a new starting right back and another centre-back, hopefully an upgrade.

We need a back up left back.

And we need another centre-mid to challenge Hojberg and JWP.

So that is what?

LB

CB

RB

CM

Not too hard, if other people do go, like Romeu, Hojberg, Boufal or Vestergaard for example then we'll see from there, but no point making assumptions based on very little. As people have said Bertrand has supposedly been leaving for years.

I don't think we will have much issue shifting Forster and Mo considering their performances at Celtic this season, Boufal also impressed at Vigo last year and can see suitors for him if he wants to leave for first team football. Hoedt and Carrillo will be harder, but I reckon we'll have potential to maybe spend £50 million plus £15-30 million raised through sales from those on loan.

Lemina is a bit of a mystery. Who knows maybe a bit of humble pie being on loan in Turkey will improve his attitude and he might come back and want to play, he has the potential to be very good under Ralph, if not I am sure someone in Italy or similar will pick him up.

So maybe around £70 - 80 million to spend for 4 players, 2 of whom are essentially being signed as back ups, so we could go out and spend like £25 million on the centre-back and right back each, then another £20 million on the squad players.

Not sure what the panic is about, we have a good first 11 now, we need to fill the right back slot as Cedric is going and hopefully we can upgrade there and hopefully we can sign a centre-back as an upgrade as well.

We have several players out on loan doing well who shouldn't be hard to shift and they will free up wages and add transfer fees.

Really if no one leaves we actually only need 1 first teamer and some squad depth, but hopefully will get 3-4 in that will improve the first 11.

Edited by tajjuk

Why are we assuming so many people are leaving?

I reckon Long will get a new contract so I doubt with Ings, Obafemi, Adams and Long we will sign a striker.

Yoshida and Cedric are leaving, so we will need a new starting right back and another centre-back, hopefully an upgrade.

We need a back up left back.

And we need another centre-mid to challenge Hojberg and JWP.

So that is what?

LB

CB

RB

CM

Not too hard, if other people do go, like Romeu, Hojberg, Boufal or Vestergaard for example then we'll see from there, but no point making assumptions based on very little. As people have said Bertrand has supposedly been leaving for years.

I don't think we will have much issue shifting Forster and Mo considering their performances at Celtic this season, Boufal also impressed at Vigo last year and can see suitors for him if he wants to leave for first team football. Hoedt and Carrillo will be harder, but I reckon we'll have potential to maybe spend £50 million plus £15-30 million raised through sales from those on loan.

Lemina is a bit of a mystery. Who knows maybe a bit of humble pie being on loan in Turkey will improve his attitude and he might come back and want to play, he has the potential to be very good under Ralph, if not I am sure someone in Italy or similar will pick him up.

So maybe around £70 - 80 million to spend for 4 players, 2 of whom are essentially being signed as back ups, so we could go out and spend like £25 million on the centre-back and right back each, then another £20 million on the squad players.

Not sure what the panic is about, we have a good first 11 now, we need to fill the right back slot as Cedric is going and hopefully we can upgrade there and hopefully we can sign a centre-back as an upgrade as well.

We have several players out on loan doing well who shouldn't be hard to shift and they will free up wages and add transfer fees.

Really if no one leaves we actually only need 1 first teamer and some squad depth, but hopefully will get 3-4 in that will improve the first 11.

We will never ever let 4 first team players ride out the final year of their contract.

Never ever going to happen at a club that MUST sell before even loaning a player

Remarkable situation.

It’s been said several times that we won’t discuss contracts until we get to 36 points that’s from Ralph so either he is a good actor and happy with that or lying of course doom mongers love stirring it.

Some contribute the sum of bugger all to the club either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We will never ever let 4 first team players ride out the final year of their contract.

Never ever going to happen at a club that MUST sell before even loaning a player

Remarkable situation.

LOL, as said above the club have said the contracts will be done once we know we are in the league, its fricking January, calm down ffs. Where is it confirmed we will let any of the players run down their contract or they intend to do that?

And who says we must sell to even loan?

LOL, as said above the club have said the contracts will be done once we know we are in the league, its fricking January, calm down ffs. Where is it confirmed we will let any of the players run down their contract or they intend to do that?

Reality tells me we have to shift players so that we can even loan!

Where does the belief that we need to sell before loaning come from? We have loads of useless players under contract that are costing as cash. Isn't it possible that the club is trying to reduce the number of contracted players before signing more players on long contracts?

It's just how you look at it - just look at how we've dealt over the last couple of years. We couldn't get Che in before we sold Targett for example, there has been a general increasing theme that we HAVE to sell or move on before we can obtain anyone new.

We wouldn't have brought in KWP had Cedric's move not materialised, I'm sure of it. Even though we could have done with KWP anyway. It could be the wage bill that's holding us back, I don’t know, but the general theme at this club over the past 2/3 years is that we must sell and generate cash before we can go and add to the squad. That puts us on the back foot every window.

Maybe we're clearing the wage bill and holding back on spending so we can have a blitz in the summer.... but who thinks that is likely with this shamble’s ownership? I don't. It'll likely be the same as previous windows, sell before we can buy. We'll probably sell someone unexpected to fund a move for someone.

• Like 1

Nonsense, the Walker Peters talk was about long before Cedric leaving was mentioned. You're telling me that if the Cedric to Arsenal deal fell through now we'd be in trouble? Then we wouldn't have announced the signing.

We saw a chance to get some money and high wages off and replace him with a player for very little who they must believe can do as good a job.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Nonsense, the Walker Peters talk was about long before Cedric leaving was mentioned. You're telling me that if the Cedric to Arsenal deal fell through now we'd be in trouble? Then we wouldn't have announced the signing.

We saw a chance to get some money and high wages off and replace him with a player for very little who they must believe can do as good a job.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

It’s about having a balanced squad. Ralph talked about adding fullbacks. He said he expected Targett to be replaced in the summer

If Cedric goes, we are doing absolutely nothing to address the bizarre balance in the squad and kicking the can down the road.

Massive pressure on this summer.

It’s about having a balanced squad. Ralph talked about adding fullbacks. He said he expected Targett to be replaced in the summer

If Cedric goes, we are doing absolutely nothing to address the bizarre balance in the squad and kicking the can down the road.

Massive pressure on this summer.

Are we?

We currently have 3 right backs, one wants to leave and is on high wages, we are going to save wages and get money for Cedric going, plus Walker Peters can play both sides, so we have better cover for Bertrand now as well.

It doesn't seem a massive problem to me.

Are we?

We currently have 3 right backs, one wants to leave and is on high wages, we are going to save wages and get money for Cedric going, plus Walker Peters can play both sides, so we have better cover for Bertrand now as well.

It’s Ralph who said he wanted more fullback added

Guess he was lying

Are we?

Ralph did say we didn't address that problem in the summer, and we needed to address it in this window.

We're going to end this window the same, with less experience in full back.

The only saving grace I guess is that KWP can play right or left back, but then anyway...we've just lost our starting right back so he's primarily going to be there.

What’s wrong with that Maehle, how come no one ends up buying him?

Quick, physical, tall, gets forward?

Gotta be something more going on there with either agent or selling club?

He renewed his contract at Genk in September, through to 2023, so he's probably not the sub-£10m bargain we were hoping for anymore.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Are we?

Exactly we've got Valery back fit, a more versatile right back in KWP alongside Vokins having made an impression during his debut. That gives us 3/4 specialist options at fullback for under half a season.

The 3rd right back on on high wages, the manager has never really fancied, who's contract is soon up, who's currently injured perhaps being surplus to requirement isn't a shock

Hoedt, Carrillo, Lemina, Mo, FF, Boufal, Reed, Sims - combined maybe £45m

Vestergaard - £15m+ because the world has gone mad

Hojberg - £20m due to contract running down

JWP - £40m - going rate for a decent english player

Ings - £50m given goalscoring but injury record.

Redmond - maybe £35-40m in todays market

That's around £200m if we wanted to raise funds. We won't sell them all but if we are needing money I wouldn't be surprised if we sell a few.

40 million for Redmond? Having a laugh.