Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

1 hour ago, stevy777_x said:

If you accept lower fees then our asking price, of course we can make them leave.

2 summers ago and last summer we were playing hard ball With our asking Price and then when there was no other choice we loaned him in the last days of the transfer window.

We signed him for 20 million and Didn t want to make too much of a loss thinking his value would maybe increase as he would do well in his loan spell.

we should have just swallowed our pride and accepted a lower, it would have made more financial sense.

As for Lemina, he has had a good season in Turkey, there will be plenty of suitors for him on permanent deal.

loaning them now and not waiting how the market will be is ridiculous, it has hardly got going yet.

there will be some player movement later on.

Am i in the real world

I’m afraid not.

Going to guess the ins are likely going to be on this level (which I wouldn't mind tbh):
Lallana
KWP
Ntcham

If Bournemouth go down that Brooks guy might be worth a look at? (if some money is found down the back of a sofa)

6 hours ago, Glasses said:

Going to guess the ins are likely going to be on this level (which I wouldn't mind tbh):
Lallana
KWP
Ntcham

If Bournemouth go down that Brooks guy might be worth a look at? (if some money is found down the back of a sofa)

If that's our transfer business then we deserve to go down nxt season 

Hasenhuttl pretty clear in part two of yesterdays presser that we will be active in the positions that are a problem for us (RB and CB) plus needing to replace Hojbjerg. He also said of KWP something along the lines of him being hard to sign permanently, presumably because his price is unrealistic, but that he will get a chance to play.

Interesting that is now near the end of June and no sign of the RB we identified (presumably Zeefuik).

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/18492337.soutampton-want-bolster-ralph-hasenhuttls-defensive-options-month/

Edited by Dusic

May be optimistic but I think we may see our ins as:

Salisu/Disasi

Ntcham

KWP/another rightback

and a new young unproven attacking midfield to replace Boufal.

Out hopefully:

Forster

Moi

Hojbjerg

Vestergaard

Boufal

21 minutes ago, TWar said:

May be optimistic but I think we may see our ins as:

Salisu/Disasi

Ntcham

KWP/another rightback

and a new young unproven attacking midfield to replace Boufal.

Out hopefully:

Forster

Moi

Hojbjerg

Vestergaard

Boufal

You def need to add Hoedt & Lemina to your outgoings :)

17 hours ago, LeG said:

I think we may take another look at Lemina. 

I'm not so sure. I think there's a serious question of whether his attitude is ever going to be right. I've good reason to believe he's the club's biggest problem..

23 hours ago, bpsaint said:

I’d fucking love it if Saints just went out and bought someone’s first team keeper, someone with a decent reputation, not some bench warmer or flappy handed addition to our current crop of under achievers.

Anyone know of any teams with a solid first choice that we could realistically get?

Ben Foster if Watford go down.

2 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Has there ever been a player we’ve shipped out, but then give it another go and he turns it around. Recently, it’s been Clasie, Gaston, Boufal, nobody ever seem to “come good”. 

Puncheon to a limited degree, although before our promotion.

5 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Has there ever been a player we’ve shipped out, but then give it another go and he turns it around. Recently, it’s been Clasie, Gaston, Boufal, nobody ever seem to “come good”. 

The Difference here is that Lemina is clearly has ability and is suited to the PL. wether or not he’s suited to Ralph’s style or has the attitude to give it a go is a different matter and probably won’t know until you chuck him in. 

17 minutes ago, SKD said:

The Difference here is that Lemina is clearly has ability and is suited to the PL. wether or not he’s suited to Ralph’s style or has the attitude to give it a go is a different matter and probably won’t know until you chuck him in. 

Oh god. Not another one that “clearly has ability”. 

like Gaston & Boufal I’ll judge him in a saints shirt, and he’s been a monumental waste of money, like those 2. Throw in his apparent attitude problem, and it’s a no from me. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

On 6/26/2020 at 7:44 PM, Badger said:

Can't think of one from the EPL, in previous years the bottom 3  might have been a recruiting ground but nothing special there, although the Bournemouth young keeper has ahd some good reviews.

Championship ? Bentley at Bristol City was considered a decent prospect a few years ago, no idea if he's living up to that. Has Butland recovered from his wobble now ? Not sure he's an improvement on Gunn.

Hope Ralph can raid the Bundesliga.

Irrespective of where a new GK might be recruited from, a bigger challenge might be offloading one of the current ones.

Bentley started the season well, but has dropped off as season went on. Was very poor and culpable for several goals in their recent loss at Blackburn. Would be no from me

27 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Ntcham not being a regular at Celtic seems a worry to me, is that just Lennon being a bit of an old fashioned manager/different system that he doesn't fit into? 

Armstrong wasn't a regular either to be fair, and he has been doing great.

Just now, TWar said:

Armstrong wasn't a regular either to be fair, and he has been doing great.

True, though he took a little while to work his way in. 

Just find it odd that according to that article Celtic 'rate him highly' but aren't playing him, just wondered what the issues were. 

3 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Just find it odd that according to that article Celtic 'rate him highly' but aren't playing him, just wondered what the issues were. 

Maybe it’s tactical.   Not sure.   Porto wanted him for big money a year or so ago, which Celtic rejected. 

Maybe we can get him cheaper if we pay the majority of FF’s wages.

3 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

If anything shows the levels of how difficult it is to shift them permanently, it’s the 15k a week they were paying FF!

Well Noone wanted to touch FF last summer, clubs weren t even sure about his mental state, this summer there will be suitors for a permanent deal.

Lemina, I reckon we should have loaned him to Wolves even if they were not prepared to buy him the following summer, it would have driven his price up.

Having a good season in the turkish league, there will be suitors but maybe not at the price we are looking for.

Still think it is better to take a hit than to let him leave on loan again as he will only have one year left summer and his price will plummet.

As for Carillo, no one will want to pay a fee for him now, so it will come down to either doing another loan till his contract runs out next summer or terminating his contract whatever is the cheaper option for us.  

I m sure there will be suitors for Hoedt and Elyounoussi but not at the price we want, it is still better than letting them leave on loan again.

59 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

I read one article - posted on the site before the changeover so it may be on here or not - where Celtic fans were highly critical of him giving a half hearted performance in an important CL match.

Although VD, and Wanyama, even Forster came here with good reputations, there isn't a lot to get excited about in this signing if it happens. Went to Man City at an younf age but has been farmed out by them ever since. Of course it's difficult to force your way into things there as a younf player, and some leave to make it elsewhere, Trippier for example, but he then had a decent record at Burnley. Ntcham looks bang average from his record to date.

Yes but VVD came to Saints with many doubting his mindset (not his ability) as he switched off in games in Scotland and was prone to silly errors.

PLaying in a more competitive league with better players allowed VVD to thrive and become the player he is now:  we can't afford to buy "perfect" players and it does not fit well into our model.  Look at the disastrous buys we have made trying to buy "ready made" players: Lemina, Hoedt, Vestegaard, Elyounoussi, Carillo, etc

10 minutes ago, washsaint said:

Yes but VVD came to Saints with many doubting his mindset (not his ability) as he switched off in games in Scotland and was prone to silly errors.

PLaying in a more competitive league with better players allowed VVD to thrive and become the player he is now:  we can't afford to buy "perfect" players and it does not fit well into our model.  Look at the disastrous buys we have made trying to buy "ready made" players: Lemina, Hoedt, Vestegaard, Elyounoussi, Carillo, etc

True, but both VD and Wanyama were recognised regulars at Parkhead even if there remained a question over whether they could 'step up' into our league. Same can't be said of Ntacham.

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

True, but both VD and Wanyama were recognised regulars at Parkhead even if there remained a question over whether they could 'step up' into our league. Same can't be said of Ntacham.

Ntcham played in 22 of their 30 league games this season, plus he played in 11 European games this season.

On 6/26/2020 at 7:44 PM, Badger said:

Can't think of one from the EPL, in previous years the bottom 3  might have been a recruiting ground but nothing special there, although the Bournemouth young keeper has ahd some good reviews.

Championship ? Bentley at Bristol City was considered a decent prospect a few years ago, no idea if he's living up to that. Has Butland recovered from his wobble now ? Not sure he's an improvement on Gunn.

Hope Ralph can raid the Bundesliga.

Irrespective of where a new GK might be recruited from, a bigger challenge might be offloading one of the current ones.

We would have to offload two not one.

we barely managed to shift one out on loan this season, so a new keeper is a massive no from me.

our limited transfer budget is needed elsewhere.

Yup got to agree, on his day he is an absolute beast of a player that can do it all. I wouldn’t be selling him yet tbh as he could be a massive player in the push for the 10, he always pops up with important goals aswell.

Ntcham when he wants is the best technical player on our team without a doubt. The fact he gets by without playing at full capacity, I think he knows he’s too good for the league so just turns it on when he feels like it. Think he has as high a ceiling of what Eddy and dembele can reach It’s just whether he wants to haha. Frustrating, but I think if we sold him for under 10 mil to the prem it would then be such a regret cos he’d probably then have the motivation to put in those consistent performances being in a bigger league. Think we should take a good offer this summer if we get it, only because of the consistency. We would miss his quality

Couple of Celtic views on him, they don't doubt his quality or ability - just inconsistent.

CCou

Edited by S-Clarke

5 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Aren’t these the types of attitudes we should be avoiding? 

Good point. Lemina comes to mind, to name just one. That being said, probably worth the risk if it means offloading FF.

Edited by Dark Munster

5 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Aren’t these the types of attitudes we should be avoiding? 

Is inconsistency always down to having a bad attitude?

There can be many reasons for it, and its the nature of the marketnwe shop in. Every player will have certain question marks - otherwise a better team than us would have already bought them.

Edited by Dusic

Has anyone watched a fair amount of Ntcham or know what type of CM he is?

I had a quick look on the (ever reliable) Youtube and some highlights. Seems a neat passer of the ball, bit of skill, seems to pop up on the edge of the box and score a few goals. 

Didn't strike me as much of a ball winner/interceptor or particularly combative. Whilst I'm not a big PEH fan, when he does go I think we'll miss that energy in the middle and it will need to be replaced (hopefully with someone that can do that AND pass forwards). Just interested to see if Ntcham is that type of player?

14 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Has anyone watched a fair amount of Ntcham or know what type of CM he is?

I had a quick look on the (ever reliable) Youtube and some highlights. Seems a neat passer of the ball, bit of skill, seems to pop up on the edge of the box and score a few goals. 

Didn't strike me as much of a ball winner/interceptor or particularly combative. Whilst I'm not a big PEH fan, when he does go I think we'll miss that energy in the middle and it will need to be replaced (hopefully with someone that can do that AND pass forwards). Just interested to see if Ntcham is that type of player?

West Ham fans seemed to rate him when they were linked with him in January (I'm not sure if endorsement by West Ham fans can be considered a good or bad thing though!)

https://www.hammers.news/transfer-news/west-ham-fans-react-to-links-with-celtic-ace-olivier-ntcham/

11 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

We aren’t going to be flush with cash this summer, but these sort of signings are the sort we should always try to budget for.

17 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Elynoussi has decided to stay on loan at Celtic for another season according to the same journo who broke the story on him joining us in the first place 

Elyounoussi + Forster for Ntcham or Ajer would do for me.

Get both off the wage bill, take the hit on any fees, gain a good player in a position we need to strengthen. Celtic not having to pay fees for both should hopefully free up some room to pay them a competitive wage.

It doesn't seem likely I know ... the big wages we have our outcasts in seems to be a real anchor in shifting any of them on!

54 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

need to have a yoootube on him.

crikey....he looks exciting...comfortable with both feet at that age....something Michael Owen for one never was. If we get this kid ahead of others I would regard that asa coup based on that video..

16 minutes ago, UpweySaint said:

Elyounoussi + Forster for Ntcham or Ajer would do for me.

Ajer would be better although he's likely to have better options, and possibly chance to join Brendan at Leicester.