Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

15 minutes ago, Badger said:

That articles cites a Sky Sports article as its source and that article doesn't really say want HITC claim it does.

Edited by Matthew Le God

26 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

They might do, but that article does not say Saints want to sign two. It says they are interested in two. It could be one is a backup if the other isn't signed. 

6 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Excellent, the last former Penarol player we signed worked out well... 😬

I like the look of this guy from the video.. looks a great finisher with a superb technique and also pacy.. it might be a lower league but he doesn’t look a scruffy finisher like che you tube vid.

this guy reminds me a little of Torres just on first impression .

Ralph asked aside from CB which positions we are targetting this summer and rather unsuprisingly he said full back, specifically RB as we only have a loan player and Valery who has been injured a lot.

I guess LB depends on i.) Bertrand signing a new contract ii.) Whether he feels Vokins is up to being a PL player, even as backup, at this stage.

He mentioned that in these areas there is also a lack of Academy options for him (Vokins aside presumably) so we need to do something there.

Was also interesting that he suggested we could do things sooner this summer as we are safe from relegation, whereas last season it was tighter.

Edited by Dusic

3 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I like the look of this guy from the video.. looks a great finisher with a superb technique and also pacy.. it might be a lower league but he doesn’t look a scruffy finisher like che you tube vid.

this guy reminds me a little of Torres just on first impression .

not stressing on a WP for this guy then, seems its not too hard to get over them these days.

1 hour ago, trousers said:

Saints tweeting about Bale's birthday? Surely this can only mean one thing...? 

#bringhimhome

:)

Screenshot_20200716-091727.png

Imagine that, a 'Keegan moment' for millennial Saints fans. Surely he'd consider it and he doesn't need to money after all - least he could do... 

22 hours ago, Chez said:

I was going to suggest Rúben Vinagre again. I think he's a talent, but has hardly got a game for Wolves all season...and then he starts tonight.

Is he good at chips?

Scouting Report 1st July 2020

Ratings:

• A1 – Very good, could play higher
  • A2 – Strong potential to play higher
  • B1 – Good, strong player at level
  • B2 – Potential to be a strong player at level
  • C – Average for their level, rewatch
  • D – Below average in this match

Mohammed Salisu

mohammed-salisu-valladolid-luis-suarez-b

Player Profile:

• Nationality: Ghanian
  • Date of birth: 17/04/1999
  • Current Club: Real Valladolid
  • Career: Real Valladolid
  • Position: Centre Back
  • Preferred foot: Left

Keeping a clean sheet, Salisu had a fairly good game. He hardly put a foot wrong against an attack which didn’t threaten much. At 6’3″ he has a big frame with broad shoulders, he used his physicality well with his instinct being to get tight to his man and pressure them by using his body. He was excellent in the air, cutting our crosses with strong clearances as well as in midfield. He has good aggression in these aerial challenges, but did foul once or twice going for headers in midfield. He was quick to read play and press out to challenge for headers but didn’t tend to press out of the line. He did drop the line very quickly, their line would retreat quickly when Levante began to attack and he would drop a little too deep at times. He scanned the pitch fairly well but when the ball was in more dangerous areas and crossing positions, he could have been more aware of the attackers around him.

He has decent pace with solid defensive footwork and an excellent vertical jump. He isn’t the most explosive and his changing of direction and acceleration to react to play could have been better. His top speed is fairly good though and kept up with attackers well with good recovery runs. His lateral pace was good also due to his footwork but his turning on the ball was awkward and slow.

On the ball he only went long once with a nice lifted ball down the wide channel. Otherwise he kept it simple but grew into the match. He largely shifted the ball to his centre back partner but as the game progressed he progressed the ball into midfield more. His pass was accurate mostly with good speed and power, with okay technique. He tries to get top spin but his technique could be refined and he can come across as quite stiff, improving his mobility and comfort on the ball would improve his technique and confidence to try more expansive passing, he could also open his hips more in possession. His first pass of the game though was misplaced sideways pass which gave the ball away and gave Levante a good opportunity straight away.

Rating – A2

Salisu is still a fairly inexperienced player and centre back is a position to learn by playing more than most, but having a full season under his belt is massive. With his cheap release clause he’s being closely linked with Southampton which is a system I think could suit him but would need time to adapt and develop. He has some areas he needs to work on but has a high ceiling to be a top defender

https://targetscouting.com/2020/07/16/real-valladolid-match-report-vs-levante-01-07-20/

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 1

Sky Sports claiming somebody has bid £35m for Hojbjerg?!

"Another Premier League club has, however, met the valuation, which is reportedly set at £35m, but it is understood the 24-year-old would prefer to join Jose Mourinho's Spurs squad."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12029979/tottenham-want-to-include-kyle-walker-peters-in-deal-to-sign-southamptons-pierre-emile-hojbjerg

4 minutes ago, LeG said:

We need:

A Striker who can be a class act and partner Ings

A box to box CM who can beat a man and pass forwards to replace the woeful clap slapper

KWP

CB x 2

GK with decent distribution.

Lets hope the scouts earn their corn this window.

Spot on.

Surely no chance of that happening though? 

3 minutes ago, LeG said:

We need:

A box to box CM who can beat a man and pass forwards to replace the woeful clap slapper

KWP

CB x 2

That would be ideal! Not sure we have the money for all that! I reckon we'll get one CB and RB though, and maybe an additional attacker later on in the window. Reed will be given the chance.

12 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

Imagine that, a 'Keegan moment' for millennial Saints fans. Surely he'd consider it and he doesn't need to money after all - least he could do... 

He's on £600k a week, I think he has basically decided Real can F off for mucking him about and treating him badly. So he'll just sit there collecting his pay cheque and if they don't want to play him, that is their problem and he gets to play some golf, and will play for Wales by default anyway. 

49 minutes ago, LeG said:

We need:

KWP

CB x 2

I can’t see us signing six players. Long’s new contract is basically our solution up front, unfortunately. We’ll probably get KWP, one CB and possibly a replacement for Hoj.

8 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I can’t see us signing six players. Long’s new contract is basically our solution up front, unfortunately. We’ll probably get KWP, one CB and possibly a replacement for Hoj.

The worry for me is lack of goals. Long is a decent foil for Ings, that's why he was signed up - but he doesn't score goals, neither does Adams and Obafemi is raw. So....take Ings out of the side, and we have no real ability to win games. I hope the club realise this, as we'd be dicing with death.

52 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

The worry for me is lack of goals. Long is a decent foil for Ings, that's why he was signed up - but he doesn't score goals, neither does Adams and Obafemi is raw. So....take Ings out of the side, and we have no real ability to win games. I hope the club realise this, as we'd be dicing with death.

He isn’t, he just happens to be on the pitch sometimes when Ings scores. Ings has 5 in 7 since the restart and not one of them had anything to do with Long. However, we’ve made our bed on this so now we’re stuck with it for 2 years. You are correct though, take Ings out the team and we’re buggered. 

52 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Jwp and Armstrong have chipped in with a few tbf. If we can get redmond scoring again and maybe djenepo then we may be OK from midfield but I agree that we need another striker to staty chipping in more regularly. I'm still hoping for Adams to come good. 

10 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Jwp and Armstrong have chipped in with a few tbf. If we can get redmond scoring again and maybe djenepo then we may be OK from midfield but I agree that we need another striker to staty chipping in more regularly. I'm still hoping for Adams to come good. 

I still cant decide if Adams if not up to it or been unlucky. His early performances were good and i think his general play is okay. He had one off the line yesterday where if it had gone anywhere else it was a goal plus a great block for his other shot which was goal bound, other games there has been great saves,, lucky saves, hitting the woodwork,  its not like he's missing hatfuls of chances, he's been a matter of a couple on inches away from scoring another 4 or 5 times this season. I can only really remember a couple of times when he's missed a great chance and all strikers do that no matter how good. Unfortunately some people only look at stats not the bigger picture. I think he's worth persisting with as it is only his first season in the premier league. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I still cant decide if Adams if not up to it or been unlucky. His early performances were good and i think his general play is okay. He had one off the line yesterday where if it had gone anywhere else it was a goal plus a great block for his other shot which was goal bound, other games there has been great saves,, lucky saves, hitting the woodwork,  its not like he's missing hatfuls of chances, he's been a matter of a couple on inches away from scoring another 4 or 5 times this season. I can only really remember a couple of times when he's missed a great chance and all strikers do that no matter how good. Unfortunately some people only look at stats not the bigger picture. I think he's worth persisting with as it is only his first season in the premier league. 

Stick with him is the way I feel.

Edited by Toadhall Saint
  • Like 1

We've got a team who are performing well without a major crisis in any given first XI area at the moment but could do with reinforcements across the board (especially given rumoured outgoings):

Assuming we were to sign KWP, depth at the fullback positions still remain a concern but this is largely dependant on how Ralph views Vokins and Valery.

Bednarek and Stephens have formed a decent partnership but Vestergaard isn't good enough. I think if Salisu coming in that could be a great purchase but a Yoshida replacement would be well-received as well.

Obviously a PEH replacement is needed - also potential to look at Reed for depth? It seems like Ralph isn't interested in Slattery for the time being.

I'm surprised nobody is mentioning a player on the left wing - Redders hasn't performed quite as well as he did last year and IIRC Djenepo favours playing on the right wing

And of course if Ings is gets injured...

Ultimately I think in addition to KWP and Salisu a CM is the key (In the mold of Keita as mentioned earlier)

If now is not the time for Sims or Reed to make inroads into the first team you have to really think about moving them on.

• Like 1

Redmond hasn’t produced the points needed from an attacking player but is so important for us anyway. Both in his press play and his ability to hold the ball and beat his man. Such a difference when he’s not playing. 

13 hours ago, LeG said:

We need:

KWP

CB x 2

Frustratingly, we already have most of these, they're just out on loan because they turned out to be awful.

Striker - Carillo

CMs - Lemina, Reed, Slattery

CBs - Hoedt, Yoshida

GK - Forster

Still leaving: Elyounoussi, Sims, some kids (Rose, Alfie Jones, O'Connor, Hesketh).

4 minutes ago, igsey said:

Frustratingly, we already have most of these, they're just out on loan because they turned out to be awful.

Striker - Carillo

CMs - Lemina, Reed, Slattery

CBs - Hoedt, Yoshida

GK - Forster

Still leaving: Elyounoussi, Sims, some kids (Rose, Alfie Jones, O'Connor, Hesketh).

Yoshida and Forster aren't currently on loan. One has left the club and the other is at Saints.

Why have you decided Reed, Jones, O'Connor and Slattery are 'awful'? Lemina would be a very useful player in the unlikely event of Hasenhuttl getting him onboard.

Edited by Matthew Le God

3 hours ago, SupersonicSaint said:

We've got a team who are performing well without a major crisis in any given first XI area at the moment but could do with reinforcements across the board (especially given rumoured outgoings):

Assuming we were to sign KWP, depth at the fullback positions still remain a concern but this is largely dependant on how Ralph views Vokins and Valery.

Bednarek and Stephens have formed a decent partnership but Vestergaard isn't good enough. I think if Salisu coming in that could be a great purchase but a Yoshida replacement would be well-received as well.

Obviously a PEH replacement is needed - also potential to look at Reed for depth? It seems like Ralph isn't interested in Slattery for the time being.

I'm surprised nobody is mentioning a player on the left wing - Redders hasn't performed quite as well as he did last year and IIRC Djenepo favours playing on the right wing

Ultimately I think in addition to KWP and Salisu a CM is the key (In the mold of Keita as mentioned earlier)

If now is not the time for Sims or Reed to make inroads into the first team you have to really think about moving them on.

We haven’t been linked With too many centre mids. Ntcham was the main one.

10 hours ago, SupersonicSaint said:

Dont get the buzz around KWP. IMO hes looked okay in some games (was awful against Arsenal). Hes too lightweight and gets muscled off the ball both defensively and offensively way too easy. Yes he looks a better option than Valery, but thats no mean feat as Valery has been shocking this season. Honestly believe if we want to push on for a top half/top 8 finish next season we need to set our sights higher than Spurs' third choice RB. Also the fact that Levy will try and squeeze us for every penny.

Would rather we pushed for Maehle or Zeefuik. Two stronger, more dynamic full backs - and both would likely be cheaper than KWP.

1 hour ago, woodsaint1 said:

Dont get the buzz around KWP. IMO hes looked okay in some games (was awful against Arsenal). Hes too lightweight and gets muscled off the ball both defensively and offensively way too easy. Yes he looks a better option than Valery, but thats no mean feat as Valery has been shocking this season. Honestly believe if we want to push on for a top half/top 8 finish next season we need to set our sights higher than Spurs' third choice RB. Also the fact that Levy will try and squeeze us for every penny.

Would rather we pushed for Maehle or Zeefuik. Two stronger, more dynamic full backs - and both would likely be cheaper than KWP.

I really can't agree with you there, I think he's been perhaps our best player (sans Ings) since the restart. Struggled a bit against United but has been among our best performers in every other outing.

6 hours ago, SupersonicSaint said:

I really can't agree with you there, I think he's been perhaps our best player (sans Ings) since the restart. Struggled a bit against United but has been among our best performers in every other outing.

We'll agree to disagree then. He certainly didnt play well in his 45 mins against Arsenal and as you said struggled against United. He didnt play against Norwich and only 45 against a knackered Brighton the other night. He would need to put in good performances in our last two games before we should consider paying 10-15 million for him. My opinion just.

1 minute ago, woodsaint1 said:

We'll agree to disagree then. He certainly didnt play well in his 45 mins against Arsenal and as you said struggled against United. He didnt play against Norwich and only 45 against a knackered Brighton the other night. He would need to put in good performances in our last two games before we should consider paying 10-15 million for him. My opinion just.

Fair enough in your comments but what other right back have we had that has been better in the last 3 years?
KWP can be coached and improved under Ralph and I think he’s a good option for the price.

Just now, Convict Colony said:

Am gonna say it.

KWP has given me the same level of hope at RB that I had when we had clyne operating there.

When he gets forward I believe he can beat his man and can make something happen.

I just want one that can defend tbh.

Hmmm...whoscored don't think very highly of him. And his record isn't great, 2 goals in 16 league career appearances. If he's going to cost more than £5million I think we're wasting resources that could be used elsewhere, and even at that amount seems like you're taking a punt. 

Screenshot_20200718-115200.png

In fact, if ever there was a case where I would say it was purely an agent trying to leverage the players position with regards to a contract or drum up some interest, I'd say this was it. 

Edited by Saint_clark

18 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

9 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

I'm with you Woodsaint, not convinced by a few appearances at the end of the season at all. Had his scuffed clearance v City lead to an equaliser I think the response on here might be different.

9 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Am gonna say it.

KWP has given me the same level of hope at RB that I had when we had clyne operating there.

When he gets forward I believe he can beat his man and can make something happen.

The Clyne comparisons are perhaps inevitable, although possibly just ' racial profiling' to use a phrase being bandied about at the moment.

For me the comparison doesn't fully stack up though, Clyne had played over 100 matches for Palace including some performances that took the eye in the League Cup, (Old Trafford for one) and was to some extent established, KWP  -according to Wikipedia - has played c 12 games for Spurs (probably an underestimate, I've read a figure of 20 something elsewhere, but point being at 22 he's pretty raw still).

Although of similar build Clyne seemed to have much more strength and wasn't easily brushed off the ball.

Edited by Badger
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2