Coronavirus Discussion Thread

manina-pub

Yep, all results wiped from the record books other than completed competitions. That will be just the League Cup then.

Exactly. i can't even believe they are debating it on Talksport Goughie is drivelling on about completing the league by November & then having a shorter league next year. The only sensible solution is to scrap the season, all positions null & void.

Why? Look around you, have a look and see what other people are still routinely doing. You maybe walking around with an exclusion zone around you but for many the reality it's that little has changed in their working environments.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

For now. Let’s see how that pans out in 2 weeks time.

And I don’t know about you, perhaps you’re into this sort of thing, but at my work, we don’t get sweaty and have bodily contact for an hour and half.

scrap the leagues, no Pompey promotion possible , no Bompey relegation and Scousers no Prem title although if they extended it to Champs League they'd be Champs for 2 nd year despite being knocked out!

downside is all the loan players comeback

You know what I find weird about all this. Quite a few people have died in the UK, but so far no names, no pictures, no statements from grieving families. All it is is a death, the rough age and a rough location as to where they lived, all a bit vague Maybe I’ve missed it....

For now. Let’s see how that pans out in 2 weeks time.

And I don’t know about you, perhaps you’re into this sort of thing, but at my work, we don’t get sweaty and have bodily contact for an hour and half.

Get yourself to Waterloo underground during the morning rush hour tomorrow, you'll experience all the bodily contact you can handle, as will thousands of people as they go about their normal daily business. No, I'm not into it as you put it, but again it highlights, many people run a greater risk of infection than a few footballers running around an empty stadium.

You know what I find weird about all this. Quite a few people have died in the UK, but so far no names, no pictures, no statements from grieving families. All it is is a death, the rough age and a rough location as to where they lived, all a bit vague Maybe I’ve missed it....

If they had been killed by Muslim terrorists their pictures and life stories would be all over the media. A killer virus doesn’t warrant such in depth coverage. Make of that what you will.

Get yourself to Waterloo underground during the morning rush hour tomorrow, you'll experience all the bodily contact you can handle, as will thousands of people as they go about their normal daily business. No, I'm not into it as you put it, but again it highlights, many people run a greater risk of infection than a few footballers running around an empty stadium.

If certain teams are more affected than others, it throws the balance out. If the manager and coaching staff plus several main players are out from one club and the team they are playing are unelected, how does that work? Playing behind closed doors. How does that work when we are told that the support from the terraces means something?

Perhaps it's hard for you to imagine now what all the fuss is about as the situation in the UK is not yet anywhere near as bad as it's going to be. Yes, for now Micky the tubes are packed and people are coming into contact with one another. It won't be long though before the tube lines are almost empty. You saw the shutdowns of Chinese cities I assume? That's how the spread is defeated.

So yes, playing football games even if behind closed doors won't be going ahead even if the players are "fit and healthy".

People seem to be looking around now and saying "Tesco's still fahkin' open what's the problem mush?"

This is far from the worst of the crisis.

Edited by niceandfriendly

This is idiotic behaviour at the best of times but particularly retarded at the moment.

Arteta is feeling much better, after a few days at home.

Good news

in other news, if the season is cancelled, it has been suggested that Liverpool are awarded the title, the top 2 in the champ are promoted (22 team league next season) with 5 relegated next season.

Edited by Batman

If certain teams are more affected than others, it throws the balance out. If the manager and coaching staff plus several main players are out from one club and the team they are playing are unelected, how does that work? Playing behind closed doors. How does that work when we are told that the support from the terraces means something?
For the second time, I'm not advocating this. I'm merely pointing out that if it were to happen, the risk of a few hundred people rattling around in an empty stadium is probably preferable, and more low risk than many other walks of life when it comes to spreading the virus.

in other news, if the season is cancelled, it has been suggested that Liverpool are awarded the title, the top 2 in the champ are promoted (22 team league next season) with 5 relegated next season.

I could live with that, Cov and Rotherham replace them from League One, Crewe and Swindon move up from League Two, etc. I particularly like the League One scenario.

Perhaps it's hard for you to imagine now what all the fuss is about as the situation in the UK is not yet anywhere near as bad as it's going to be. Yes, for now Micky the tubes are packed and people are coming into contact with one another. It won't be long though before the tube lines are almost empty. You saw the shutdowns of Chinese cities I assume? That's how the spread is defeated.

So yes, playing football games even if behind closed doors won't be going ahead even if the players are "fit and healthy".

People seem to be looking around now and saying "Tesco's still fahkin' open what's the problem mush?"

This is far from the worst of the crisis.

Thanks for the measured response, I fear you maybe right, but obviously hope you are way off the mark. I did see what actions the Chinese have taken and do wonder how far we are from that in this country, at the moment it would seem to be quite a long way. I live in a relatively small Market town, there is pretty much no visible change whatsoever. I went supermarket shopping yesterday, it was no less busy than normal, and I came into contact with lots of people who I have no idea where they've been or what they've contracted.

Certainly I agree, the situation now appears to be changing on a daily basis, and people are much more aware of the need to take isolation precautions if possible. I was not being flippant in suggesting that games in empty stadium was a safer environment for players, it is. Frankly now, I think you are correct in that the sooner this is defeated, the better.

I suggest the couple of chumps on here claiming “fit healthy young men” should be ok and continue to play behind closed doors should read this. From a Doc who worked in football.

Professional players have been shown to be regularly immunosuppressed,' former Chelsea doctor Dr Eva Carneiro tells Sportsmail. 'This has been demonstrated by both blood tests and the rate and incidence of upper respiratory tract and other infections, which is how a virus like this starts. That's due to the amount of sport they play. The physical activity, playing at a professional level, with games sometimes every 72 hours, as well as training creates a strain on the body.'

The risk is compounded by overseas travel. 'It means they have to enter an airport even though they might be travelling by private jet,' adds Dr Carneiro who was at Chelsea for six years and is now Sports and Exercise Medicine Doctor at The Sports Medical Group in London's Harley Street. 'Travel can also mean a change in sleep patterns, arriving back in the early hours of the morning, creating a fatigue which again can make players susceptible.'

“Players also share dressing rooms, meeting rooms, coaches, stay at same hotels and — more significantly — dining rooms, regularly eating at the same time. 'They also are part of families who are exposed to the greater community,' says Dr Carneiro. 'Fixtures also mean exposure to other teams, staff, nationalities, the latter having regular travel exposures of their own, with differing immunity profiles.'

Persuading members of the highly tactile playing community that they might change their hygiene habits has always been notoriously difficult. The immune system deficiencies also make players susceptible to gastrointestinal viruses, which can be extremely infectious.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suggest the couple of chumps on here claiming “fit healthy young men” should be ok and continue to play behind closed doors should read this. From a Doc who worked in football.

Professional players have been shown to be regularly immunosuppressed,' former Chelsea doctor Dr Eva Carneiro tells Sportsmail. 'This has been demonstrated by both blood tests and the rate and incidence of upper respiratory tract and other infections, which is how a virus like this starts. That's due to the amount of sport they play. The physical activity, playing at a professional level, with games sometimes every 72 hours, as well as training creates a strain on the body.'

The risk is compounded by overseas travel. 'It means they have to enter an airport even though they might be travelling by private jet,' adds Dr Carneiro who was at Chelsea for six years and is now Sports and Exercise Medicine Doctor at The Sports Medical Group in London's Harley Street. 'Travel can also mean a change in sleep patterns, arriving back in the early hours of the morning, creating a fatigue which again can make players susceptible.'

“Players also share dressing rooms, meeting rooms, coaches, stay at same hotels and — more significantly — dining rooms, regularly eating at the same time. 'They also are part of families who are exposed to the greater community,' says Dr Carneiro. 'Fixtures also mean exposure to other teams, staff, nationalities, the latter having regular travel exposures of their own, with differing immunity profiles.'

Persuading members of the highly tactile playing community that they might change their hygiene habits has always been notoriously difficult. The immune system deficiencies also make players susceptible to gastrointestinal viruses, which can be extremely infectious.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, a good read. I think the blasé attitude some are showing to an extent comes from a lack of clear information, but sometimes sheer bloody mindedness and a refusal to acknowledge the reality of how serious this stuff is. My folks are both mid 70's with acute lung conditions. They think this is 'just a cold' and that they everyone is overreacting and should crack on as normal. They can't understand that if they get it they won't be a priority for medical attention.

Footballers are young, fit and healthy but still susceptible to this. Moreover, their folks, grandparents and others will be potentially more susceptible and anyone can pass this thing on without realising they have it. Pushing 22 players into close contact, in 46 league games, exposes them and hundreds of others in their lives. I'm amazed that people can't see the risk.

Edited by egg

No relegation anywhere......?

Was a bit tongue-in-cheek but...none going on Batman's suggestion - PL to become a 22-team league (for one year only), then 5 relegated the following season. In the circumstances, a solution would be 2 sides from the lower leagues to make up the numbers in the respective leagues with 4 relegated the following. Teams in, for example, the League One play-off zone remain in the division for another year, everyone's a winner.

*on reflection to Batman's post, I think it's also only fair to cruelly snatch the scousers title away from them too.

Was a bit tongue-in-cheek but...none going on Batman's suggestion - PL to become a 22-team league (for one year only), then 5 relegated the following season. In the circumstances, a solution would be 2 sides from the lower leagues to make up the numbers in the respective leagues with 4 relegated the following. Teams in, for example, the League One play-off zone remain in the division for another year, everyone's a winner.

*on reflection to Batman's post, I think it's also only fair to cruelly snatch the scousers title away from them too.

*cough* 4 relegated from the PL

According to the experts the Covid 19 in the UK won't peak for another 10-14 weeks. that's mid June. I would think there is no possibility of the leagues continuing normally until say mid September. If the Leagues wanted to continue behind closed doors with a minimal staff present to complete the matches could be a remote possibility. The TV issue looks attractive to the fans but exposes even more people. There is no solution to members of teams being affected and other teams unaffected.

Personally the only solution I can see is null and void the leagues. Pay out the available prize money on existing positions. No promotion, no relegation and just wait until the position clarifies itself as the pandemic unfolds. Start a new season with the same teams at some as yet undefined start date after the summer. Because the pandemic varies internationally I think there is a case for no club or country competition or matches until the following season. Domestic competitions only.

Quebec government just closed all schools colleges and universities for 2 weeks. I work at a college so have been sent home for 2 weeks.

No EPL, no ECL, no NHL, No F1, no MLS. This is going to be tough!

I have no problem being sent home for two weeks the garden is a mess and I've got plenty of minor DIY jobs to get done. My biggest issue is will I get paid for two the weeks. No pay for two weeks (or god forbid longer) would quickly make things interesting... and not in a good way.

Karen Brady in favour of voiding the season. What a surprise. To be fair to Klopp, he had also come out and said that health is more important than football.

I wonder how fair Klopp would be if all this resulted in Liverpool NOT being given the title?

What would people prefer?

Delay however long

Cancel the season?

Table as it is?

Reset to August standings for next season?

Relegate west ham anyway just for a laugh?

It's going to be massively contentious whatever happens, but unless a way can be found to complete the season I think it has to be declared null and void.

It would be ridiculously unfair to call today's position the final status. Some teams near relegation have much harder run-ins than others. It's no surprise West Ham want annulment (although I guess they would take today's position too).

Yes, Liverpool, Leeds West Brom would be understandably livid and I'm pretty sure the lawyers would have a field day.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk