Coronavirus Discussion Thread

manina-pub

They will just be behind closed doors. If there is no crowd there is no reason the government would stop a game happening.

It’s not the dog & duck playing Sunday morning. Even behind closed doors, I’ll bet they’ll be 100 + people in the facility. You wait till 5 or 6 players in each club, or a couple of first team managers or referees get it. It’s not just match day, once it rips through clubs, they’ll be no training, no tactical work, and ultimately no games.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The vitriolic lefty weirdos on here should honestly just stick to twitter.

Whine, whine, whine, b1tch, b1tch, b1tch... but never a solution.

Government is damned if they do, damned if they don’t - but don’t let your twisted, one sided view points get in the way of some good old political point scoring.

Ughhhhhhhh...

The vitriolic lefty weirdos on here should honestly just stick to twitter.

Whine, whine, whine, b1tch, b1tch, b1tch... but never a solution.

Government is damned if they do, damned if they don’t - but don’t let your twisted, one sided view points get in the way of some good old political point scoring.

Ughhhhhhhh...

I heard a Labour MP kicking off at the 'Tory' response to this and saying Boris will have blood on his hands for not effectively shutting the country down.

When questioned if the same view was shared toward Sadiq Khan, who has the powers to effectively shut down london....the response was no, that is different as London is the capital!! :lol:

I heard a Labour MP kicking off at the 'Tory' response to this and saying Boris will have blood on his hands for not effectively shutting the country down.

When questioned if the same view was shared toward Sadiq Khan, who has the powers to effectively shut down london....the response was no, that is different as London is the capital!! :lol:

Idiots.

Constant whining, point scoring and b1tching but never offering genuine solutions.

Talking of which, some of the cr4p on Twitter about how the Tory government genuinely wanted this to happen is laughable... but symptomatic of how cursed and vile their thought processes are. A lot of people talking about creating civil disobedience by going to work ill etc...

On a personal level, I think our response has been proportionate and fair. This is a marathon, quite obviously, so I get why they’re managing it like they are.

From what I can make out the Govt are basically doing what their medical experts (and presumably the best in the UK) are advising them. Yet journos, opposition MPs and the internet mob are all more knowledgeable all of a sudden and disagree!

From what I can make out the Govt are basically doing what their medical experts (and presumably the best in the UK) are advising them. Yet journos, opposition MPs and the internet mob are all more knowledgeable all of a sudden and disagree!

Summed it up in a paragraph, thank you.

My skin crawls every time I see or hear the odious Beth Rigby offer her view on anything. So embarrassing to see so many people challenge these genuinely knowledgeable and talented professionals, with years of experience on what they’re recommending.

They will just be behind closed doors. If there is no crowd there is no reason the government would stop a game happening.

What about when players and / or clubs decide they don’t want to play?

Like I said, I’ll be amazed if the season is finished.

Idiots.

Constant whining, point scoring and b1tching but never offering genuine solutions.

Talking of which, some of the cr4p on Twitter about how the Tory government genuinely wanted this to happen is laughable... but symptomatic of how cursed and vile their thought processes are. A lot of people talking about creating civil disobedience by going to work ill etc...

On a personal level, I think our response has been proportionate and fair. This is a marathon, quite obviously, so I get why they’re managing it like they are.

Agree.

Anyone who watched or listened today and still disagrees, is just clearly an idiot.

Plan was spelt out as clear as an be, explained and reasoning provided. Will it work? Who knows, but I certainly trust them more than some Corbynite on twitter getting their nickers in a twist because France have surrendered and downed tools.

My skin crawls every time I see or hear the odious Beth Rigby offer her view on anything. So embarrassing to see so many people challenge these genuinely knowledgeable and talented professionals, with years of experience on what they’re recommending.

did you hear her earlier?

"Primer Minister, how many people will die"....my god! :lol:

I guess it depends how bad it gets. The government think it’s fine for 60,000 people to cram into a stadium just to watch a few blokes kick a ball about this Saturday.

Britain has had enough of experts.

Thought Kuenssberg's question was the best....basically: I know you've listened to all the science but what happens if your wrong?

If UEFA announce that EURO 2020 will be delayed a year that will allow more time to complete this season, but it's going to be really disjointed with games called off as players or club officials catch the virus and the whole club goes into isolation for two week periods.

Two week international break with games cancelled will help.

Thought Kuenssberg's question was the best....basically: I know you've listened to all the science but what happens if your wrong?

It was.

We have to trust the judgment of people who are experts in their fields, but yes, they could be wrong.

Rather that than listen to some permanently outraged lgbt climate change activist sh1tting their pants, whining about everything with zero concept of real working life or real life problems other than their own pathetic, selfish indulgences.

It was.

We have to trust the judgment of people who are experts in their fields, but yes, they could be wrong.

Rather that than listen to some permanently outraged lgbt climate change activist sh1tting their pants, whining about everything with zero concept of real working life or real life problems other than their own pathetic, selfish indulgences.

Another big question though - what would Greta do ?

It was.

It’s a bit more complicated - you have doctors and scientists who can tell you exactly how the virus acts; then you have behavioral economists/psychologists who are predicting how humans -with all their imperfections and irrationalities- are likely to respond.

Needless to say, modeling the latter is very imprecise and based on all kinds of assumptions - so in this case, that we lack the discipline, motivation and constancy to put up with long-term restrictions on our behaviour, so rather than shooting our wad now, it’s better to wait till the virus starts to hit, so we can maintain commitment when it truly matters. There is evidence to support this view -and I will do as I’m told; but it’s reasonable to acknowledge it’s context-dependent and the uncertainty around estimates and so different countries with their respective experts will legitimately reach different policy conclusions, especially as they are having to juggle multiple, conflicting goals.

Edited by shurlock

Mikel Arteta has been diagnosed with it and the full first team squad plus staff have been told to isolate. All jokes aside the season needs cancelling. Give Liverpool the trophy if you want, there's too much risk here.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

If you are going to cut the season short you can’t make any assumptions about where teams are going to finish, therefore no promotions, no relegations and no champions. It’s tough but it is fair to all. People’s lives are more important than sport.

If you are going to cut the season short you can’t make any assumptions about where teams are going to finish, therefore no promotions, no relegations and no champions. It’s tough but it is fair to all. People’s lives are more important than sport.

I think we could safely assume the Dippers would win the league at this point, but your overall assertion is correct. They'd just have to scrub the season, and start again (hopefully) in August with the same 20 teams. It's the fairest way.

Mikel Arteta has been diagnosed with it and the full first team squad plus staff have been told to isolate. All jokes aside the season needs cancelling. Give Liverpool the trophy if you want, there's too much risk here.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

It was always going to hit the game. It’s probably one of the highest risk categories outside of the medics. There’s employees from all over the world, plus their agents, scouts, owners , press officers, journos friends, family and god knows who else, flying in and out of various countries. You’ve got blokes changing next to each other daily, basically living in each other’s pockets day in day out, plus contact with oppositions players, and supporters (selfies etc). I’d be amazed if the % of people connected with football that have the virus is far higher than the general population.

From what the snap dragon told me earlier and what’s happened tonight, it’s over imo. I doubt we’ll play again after Norwich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't disagree with you but you can predict now it will be subject to legal challenge by a team missing out on promotion (Leeds for example), or one who goes down.

Sky Sports reporting that the Premier League has called an emergency club meeting tomorrow. With Arteta confirmed has having it, Leicester players self isolating, and Mendy at Man City doing likewise can't see how the season can continue especially as it's now hitting the players themselves.

It is interesting that the government’s scientific advisors think it’s a good idea that hundreds of thousands of people should travel round the country and cram into stadiums just to watch football.

They are advising that society continues as normal as possible.

If event organisers (and spectators) feel it fine to cram together, that is up to them.

The containment phase did not work, so the delay phase will endure as long as possible/until all government departments are ready and the warmer weather is here.

They are advising that society continues as normal as possible.

If event organisers (and spectators) feel it fine to cram together, that is up to them.

The containment phase did not work, so the delay phase will endure as long as possible/until all government departments are ready and the warmer weather is here.

I get that but football can stop tomorrow and society will still carry on pretty much as normal. It’s not like your closing schools which actually effects people’s job etc. Even if it just saves a few lives it’s worth doing.

I get that but football can stop tomorrow and society will still carry on pretty much as normal. It’s not like your closing schools which actually effects people’s job etc. Even if it just saves a few lives it’s worth doing.

If football wants to stop tomorrow, nothing is preventing it. Nothing is forcing fans to attend Cheltenham either. People can make their own minds up (at the moment) on what best suits them.

There's plenty of experts out there who don't believe we're doing enough, early enough. One thing I noted in some comments is the lack of transparency of 'why' certain decisions have been taken. For all the talk of experts hw much pressure are they under to accept less than they would like? Also it was noted that there was no mention of an increased testing regime - what is happening about that? I've read of people wanting a test as they've been in affected places abroad, with symptoms, and have been told they can't have them as the place is not on the list. It strikes me that capacity for testing is nowhere near it should be yet.

As for the mouth-frothers up thread going on about LGBT lefties; you give it an effing break as well. We already know your right-wing views thanks.

It’s a bit more complicated - you have doctors and scientists who can tell you exactly how the virus acts; then you have behavioral economists/psychologists who are predicting how humans -with all their imperfections and irrationalities- are likely to respond.

Needless to say, modeling the latter is very imprecise and based on all kinds of assumptions - so in this case, that we lack the discipline, motivation and constancy to put up with long-term restrictions on our behaviour, so rather than shooting our wad now, it’s better to wait till the virus starts to hit, so we can maintain commitment when it truly matters. There is evidence to support this view -and I will do as I’m told; but it’s reasonable to acknowledge it’s context-dependent and the uncertainty around estimates and so different countries with their respective experts will legitimately reach different policy conclusions, especially as they are having to juggle multiple, conflicting goals.

Exactly.

I don’t think sense actually comes into it. That game couldn’t not be cancelled.

Emergency PL meeting tomorrow, I'd be absolutely amazed if that doesn't result in all matches being called off at this point.

I think it's unlikely this season finishes now, how the heck they'd decide any titles, promotion, relegation etc... I've got no idea. Depends on how the course of the virus pans out and how long it takes I guess.

I think lawyers are probably going to end up being involved >_

All of this pales into comparison to fighting a global pandemic of course, that has to be first priority, but there's a heck of a lot of paperwork coming for someone eventually once we've beaten it.